Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Bob Socko posted:

As I understand it, they're generally not as good as their non-water-resistant counterparts. That being said, they're still good enough for some quick vacation shots and hey, a bad underwater picture is still better than no underwater picture.

The D10 is the best waterproof I know of and is supposed to be decent as point-and-shoots go. In general, I've been pretty impressed by Panasonic's electronics, so while I don't know anything about the FT2, I would suspect it's at least decent and would try to test one out locally if I knew of a shop that carried it.

My friend has whatever the new Olympus one is and it seems actually pretty good. We use it a lot when skiing and at the beach and it holds up really well. We know its not going to be taking the most beautiful of pictures but you can take it in many situations to get some fun/interesting shots without worrying about breaking it. This thing is near indestructable.

Although wear the drat wrist band always. No idea how poo poo it is to try and find the camera under the waves at the beach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Is there a consensus for the best waterproof/tough camera?

After something that I can take skiing, in the water, on a mountain bike without worrying too much about busting it if I drop it. So needs to be able to operate in cold temps without the battery completely dieing, underwater (do any of them float?) and be scratchproof possibly.

Would like HD video.

Honestly don't care about image quality as much. Particularly lowlight.

The stuff is for facebook/youtube anyway.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Haggins posted:

I've heard good things about the Canon PowerShot D10, thought it doesn't look like the video is anything special.

Which is why I was looking at the lumix Ft2.

I like to strap the camera to my helmet or hold it whilst skiing and stuff. And take little videos in places where i can't bring an SLR

• Locked thread