Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

I'm planning on getting a decent P&S in a few weeks probably, most likely the S90, for primarily landscape and animal shots (I work/live on a farm), and for Etsy/SA-Mart style pics of hand-made ironwork. I'm willing to bite the bullet and get an S90, even though it means not buying a new bicycle ("Alright, busted-rear end Schwinn Traveler, let's learn to get along.") However, if I could get a camera that will manage low light and have decent color response that also happens to cost around $200, I'd be way into it. Something with good manual settings is essential, because I am a nerd and I want to learn the technical poo poo, but it really doesn't need to do A+ print-quality pictures, since they're all gonna end up on Flickr/Facebook/my websites anyways. Plus, I'll probably buy a DSLR in a couple years, when, god willing, I have money, but just the same I'd like a respectable camera whose capabilities I won't exhaust within a week of ownership.

Is it worth the $100+ jump to go from a SD1400 to an S90, or do you think the SD1400 would keep me occupied? Once I get this gadget and my sperg-boner is ragin', I will probably do my best to obsessively tweak and experiment with the camera until I'm spent, and I'd prefer not to be left wanting more right away.

Also, I had a Casio Exilim that broke within a couple weeks (I'll be more careful this time), had muddy-rear end green tones in the pics, and sucked DICK in low light, so I'd like to avoid repeating that experience if possible. I'm also open to brands as long as Ashton Kutcher isn't in any of the camera's advertisements, but the OP said "yo buy a Canon" so that's where I'm looking first. One more thing: we get 300 days of sunlight out here or something, and most of my pics will be outdoors, so the screen's gotta own.

Dongsmith fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Dongsmith posted:

camera poo poo
Okay, I've got some money coming in sooner than expected and will be buying a camera in the next couple of days. Any advice?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

tonelok posted:

Canon just announced the S95, SD4500 IS and SX130 IS.

So wait for reviews?

S95 = still 10MP, supposedly better image quality, plus some kind of Hybrid IS. 720p video. $400 this month.

SD4500 IS = 10MP CMOS, Dynamic IS, 1080p video, 10x zoom. $350 in September.

SX130 IS = 12x zoom, 12MP, 720p video, $250 this month.
Aw poo poo

there are clouds of mist settled on the mountains across the road today and I am so fired up to buy a camera it hurts. I guess waiting does sound like a good idea though :/

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

I'm freakin' going nuts here waiting for reviews of the S95 and/or the price of the S90 to drop. I got a billy goat literally pissing in his own mouth every morning and big-rear end jumping spiders begging for macro, not to mention hella clouds and sunsets, and none of it is getting captured in photograph. Reading that the rear dial has been stiffened up from the S90 and the front ring has been "improved", plus the matte finish, is making me lean towards the S95. Is the Hybrid IS a major plus or just a minor one? Has anyone used it in one of Canon's other cameras?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Alright, I couldn't resist and just pre-ordered the S95 on Amazon. Here's hoping it kicks rear end.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Rated PG-34 posted:

Did they fix the free-spinning wheel on the S90?
A couple of pre-reviews that I read stated that they did indeed fix it up, but I guess we won't really know until it ships

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

:hf:
I hope mine gets here before the end of the month. Just sold my old s90 too for 20 bucks less than retail.
*Moe Sizlak going "Whuuuuh?!"*

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

Well sold it on CL for 280 actually :sweatdrop: , which is 20 bucks less a retail online store like dell.

I thought it wasn't too bad considering I bought it in mid-October last year and used for about one year. But I did maintain the camera in pretty much brand new condition with box/receipt and kept everything that came with it.

Here's hoping the new IS and 720p will be worth the $120 :argh:
I haven't had a camera in 3 years or so. It's gonna be worth it to me. I love night shots, especially in the city, so I am pretty excited about the hybrid IS, and I'm a big fan of no-nonsense devices (got my Sansa Clip for long photo hikes). I can't wait to try out the lens ring.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DaNzA posted:

High ISO shot with S95, along with HD video and low ISO samples. Scroll down and click on the ones with a magnifying glass for full size.

http://www.eprice.com.tw/dc/talk/?prod_id=657&tid=11629

Seems like people in Taiwan have been getting them already since a few days ago. It's supposed to go on sale in Japan at the 26th.
Cool, thanks for the link. I'm a-okay with that video, even at 24 fps. Does the Japan release date mean that they'll likely be shipping here before the end of August?

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

edit: nevermind, the camera was in the part of my order that hasn't shipped yet. Still waiting on a release date.

Dongsmith fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 24, 2010

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

krushgroove posted:

Yeah, just waiting for it to come up on the EU shopping sites and hating VAT ($400 vs £400 is about $217 difference)
I'm starting to get pretty anxious. Amazon.com has changed the S95's status from "pre-order" to "Temporarily out of stock", which makes me wonder if they got a cache of them and shipped them out to the earliest pre-orders and I'm S.O.L. for the moment, or if they're just preparing the product page for the first batch of S95s to get shipped from Canon. Buydig.com says Sept. 4th and some one-off rumor site I tracked down (can't remember which) says not to expect it until September. I could have had an S90 by now for less money, and I'm starting to wonder if it is going to be worth the wait/expense for slightly better IS and 720p (all my poo poo'll end up on Youtube anyways, so quality is moot).

Honestly, if any brick-and-mortars out here carried the S90 for less than $350 within an hour's drive I'd probably have given up on the S95 by now.

I am literally a child.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

quote:

Your Amazon.com order of "Canon PowerShot S95 10 MP ..." has shipped!
awww yiss

Get ready for some drat pictures, Dorkroom. I'll (obviously) post in this thread once it arrives.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

krushgroove posted:

Does anyone know when the next batch of S95's will be getting to Amazon.com? I would imagine it's a monthly thing, but don't really know how the camera companies operate their manufacturing schedules.
Amazon shows it in stock as of this post. Jump on that poo poo.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Got my S95 in the mail today so I took a couple pictures at work. Of course, right after I bought it I went out to build a thing and left the camera in a nearby shed, and then like immediately an adorable bird landed on my hat which sat on the ground about 3 feet away. I tried to sneak back to the shed to grab the camera and spooked the bird, who flew away. Lesson learned: do not leave the camera out of reach. I did get some pictures of the same bird later on, but they are not any good. No second chances in photography, I guess.

Strangely enough, I later found this branch cut from a tree that happened to have a nest in it. The orange/red highlights are baling twine, which is used to bale hay and which is in abundance on the farm.

img_0057.jpg by Jimperialism, on Flickr

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

dcor posted:

Dude DS between the jonesin for the camera and the very sad very inconsequential bird story let me be the first to say CONGRATS on your new camera and don't worry man, moments like that will flower around you now that your eyes are open and your finger's on the shutter.
Thanks man! I'm pretty stoked to start filling my Flickr page. I've noticed that I'm already looking at the world a little bit differently, and the change in perspective is a nice side bonus.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

The S95 is the best compact point and shoot that I can imagine

this is straight outta the camera:

THE HOOP by Jimperialism, on Flickr

The joy of using the interface is worth the price of admission.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

moron posted:

Edit: does anyone else find the dial on top really stiff? Does it loosen up after a while or what?
Yeah, I can second that. I'm getting used to it, but I don't think it really gets "worked in" like a pair of boots or whatever.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

No. 6 posted:

Can anyone point me to a good guide on shooting/processing RAW images? Should I even try shooting RAW since I've never had a camera that's capable?
I can't help you there, but I will say that I've been shooting RAW+JPEG so I've got a quick-and-easy JPEG I can throw into my terrible linux photo manager while I store away the RAW for some time down the road when I have time to really get into post-processing.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

spog posted:

I just found out that the S90 has a hidden clock feature:

How cool is that?

http://dpinterface.com/camera-news/canon-camera-flash-clock-feature/
S95 has it too, this rules.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

qirex posted:

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with an off-brand battery? Because the idea of having a camera that's not just out of juice but actually busted while I'm on a trip freaks me out.
I bought "Maximal Power" off-brands for my S95. Ran one through the washer and dryer in the pocket of my jeans and it still works just fine.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Korwen posted:

Looks like I have an opportunity to get a brand new S95 for about $360 after tax. The prices don't seem to vary a lot online, it seems pretty well pegged at $399, so I think this is a pretty decent deal and will probably try to buy it tomorrow. Do yall think this is a decent deal?
I paid $400 for mine and got it a few days after release and it would have been worth it at $450+, so, yeah, I'd jump on that.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

After about 3000 pictures my s95 started throwing a lens error; good thing it's under warranty!

No regrets though, I'll get a case for the next one to keep it fresh and clean

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

DreadCthulhu posted:

2) How much can I trust a S90/S95 to be smart for me? On a DSLR I would be manually adjusting ISO and White Balance and whatever else, but it's definitely more of a pain to do when you don't have dedicated buttons for those functions. Will I still get good results if I leave those on auto, or should I be crucified for even thinking that?
Watch your ISO personally on the S95, as the small sensor, despite being pretty decent for what it is, does not perform real hot at 800+ ISO. It takes two clicks to change ISO if I recall correctly (my s95 is in the shop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

spf3million posted:

Jeez caberham, you're going to overtake mannequin as the reining champion of photo gear damage and loss if you're not careful ;)
Speaking of gear damage, I got my S95 back from Canon. The "optical assembly" failed, with the early sign being a red line of pixels on images taken at a certain combo of ISO and Shutter, and the later signs being a total failure to operate and a lens error message on boot. It was still under warranty and Canon got the camera, fixed it for free, and sent it back with haste. A++++, would buy again.

Gonna post some Florida pics in the next day or two, mainly just to gloat about winter.

• Locked thread