Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grinnard posted:

To pick up on this point, I have a G7x which I enjoy using but basically just shoot on auto, which I'm sure is a waste of its capabilities. I don't really have much idea what I'm doing beyond that, such as manual control, compostion or how to process RAW. Are there any good basic tutorials on the internet (or even books) for just getting into this stuff? Specifically aimed at someone with a fixed-lens camera rather than a DSLR would be ideal, since lens choice doesn't come into my shooting at all (and right now I only have the g7x to work with). I'm particularly interested in landscapes and good nature shots.

"Understanding Exposure" is still largely the best go-to book on the basics. Tom Ang has a few good beginner books as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm gonna be a bit of a wet blanket here and say she's likely better off hiring someone with better equipment to do it. Entry level DSLRs with entry level zooms are going to basically demand to be shot in bright broad daylight. If the games are in the evening or at night it's basically "don't even bother" territory. Even with kids you're going to need good C-AF and that's going to be asking a lot of even modern superzooms.

• Locked thread