Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Why isn't there a lot of love for the LX7? I did a search and there's only been a several mentions, almost all in passing. Seems like a good travel camera, especially with the fast lens.

I know the LX8 is rumoured to be released in two weeks, but I'm thinking about picking up the LX7 used for cheap when it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If they're not serious photographers, I feel like they'd be happy with something like the S110. The rx100 m3 is obviously a much better camera than the s110, but might be more camera than they need.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
On ritz camera there's a S110 + Pro100 + Photo paper + 16gb sd card combo for $185 after Canon's $400 rebate. Could be a killer deal on the S110 if you can sell the Pro100, although the price on those have plummeted (because of the rebate). Just the ink cartridges themselves go for like $99 on ebay though.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Heard it's an amazing printer though!

I bought the pro9000 mk2 a while back off eBay. Opened the box, realized I wouldn't have space for it on my desk, and it's been in storage ever since :(

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Supposedly the X30 via Fujirumors:

The LX8 is also rumored to be announced soon, also with a built in EVF.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
What aspect of your current camera are you not happy with?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Wow, these look great! I saw some samples on dpreview but they didn't look that impressive.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The GR is probably next on my list to try. Last year I travelled with an LX100 and it still felt too big, so this year I sized down to an RX100m3. Haven't travelled with it yet, but not really a fan of the shooting experience at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience with both the RX100 (and/or the LX100) vs the GR?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Thanks for sharing your experience - it's interesting because I felt the same way about my LX100 re: the "wished I'd taken it with a better camera". There's nothing wrong with the image quality, but there's something intangible about the "look" of the photos that has me feeling like it's not enough of a step up from having taken it with my phone.

I think the reviews about the GR's autofocus is what steered me towards the RX100, despite everything suggesting that I should be looking for a larger sensor rather than sizing down further with the RX100. I thought the zoom is nice, but I think I'm in the same boat as you in that a motorized zoom just feels weird to use, so maybe a prime wouldn't be as big of a handicap as I imagined.

Only one way to find out I suppose - might even pick up a GR soon so I can compare the two side by side.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The LX100 is fantastic, and if you're coming from a LX5 it'll be an upgrade in every way. I owned the LX7 briefly and the LX100 was already quite a decent upgrade. I wish it had more megapickles and a touchscreen, but otherwise I really enjoyed shooting with it - I sold it only because it still felt a bit too big for travel, but it's been on my mind ever since, and I might pick one up again once they become cheap enough used.

I feel like $563 is quite a bargain when you consider the price of an equivalent MFT lens - you're essentially getting the body for free. Consider picking up either an auto lens cap or an UV filter, as it's a bit annoying to have to cap your lens every time.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
For product photography, lighting is going to matter more than anything else; a good camera will not make a poorly/unevenly lit shot look better. If you're staying under $100 used, the cameras you can afford will not be noticeably better than your phone camera anyway.

Look into shooting in bright, natural light near a window, or depending on the size of the items you're shooting, look into DIY options like this: http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/diy-how-to-create-your-own-white-box-for-under-10--photo-3411 to improve your lighting.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

rawrr posted:

Only one way to find out I suppose - might even pick up a GR soon so I can compare the two side by side.

sighh

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Will probably flip the viewfinder after playing around with it a bit. Always a bit amused by how much they seem to cost for what they are, especially the digital versions (for other compacts).

Thankfully I'm going for pocketbility, so the X100 series isn't really on my radar. I'm a fan of tactile feedback (i.e. manual dials) so I love the usability aspect, but the LX100 offers something similar in a smaller form factor. It may just turn out that the RX100 or GR compromises too much usability in favour of form factor for me, in which case I'd eagerly rebuy a LX100.

The best part about all of this is that I've tried a bunch of cameras (LX7, XE-1, Olympus Stylus 1) in search of my travel camera holy grail, and since I've been buying used, as long as I flip them quickly enough (i.e. before prices fall) I basically get to test drive the cameras for for cheap/free without the guilt of a store return.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The RX100 remapping is frustratingly limited (coming from the LX100). For example, it would've been trivial for them to make the movie button mappable, since they already give you the option to disable it unless the mode dial is set to video mode. It is the perfect place for, say, back button focusing (which you can't map to any button anyway, requiring the user to assign a button to AF/MF as a workaround). There's really no real reason for the movie button to be positioned in the most pressable location.

I too find the control ring's unresponsiveness annoying, and the fact that you can't switch what it controls - I would've preferred to be able to adjust exposure compensation from the rear dial, and have the control ring control the aperture or shutter speed.

Specifically to the M3 (and M4, I guess), I also find the implementation of the viewfinder a bit stupid, how there's no setting to prevent it from turning off the camera when you stow it, and in practice it just seems like such a hassle to have a two step, pop up pull out procedure to use it.

I wish Sony could get better at usability design as it's otherwise a really well engineered camera - it just seems like everything has been done by the engineers whose priority is to make everything fit. Even the menu is not organized intuitively.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
^ Yeah that's how I have it set right now, but I tend to change exposure compensation more often than A/S, so it would've been nice to not require a second hand to do it.

--

Picked up the GR about half an hour ago, and my initial impressions are pretty positive. I like how there is a dedicated rocker switch for EV and everything is well laid out (including the menu) - it definitely feels more like a "photographer's camera" whereas the RX100 feels more like a point and shoot. I've heard a lot of positive things about the GR's control layout, and I'm starting to understand why.

Size wise the GR is longer and noticeably lighter - it almost feels hollow compared to the RX100 which feels pretty solid and hefty for its size.

Image quality is great, and it just "looks" better which I want to attribute to the larger sensor though it's probably also just placebo. The major downside for me is that it has roughly a .5m minimum focusing distance, so I'm not sure how great it'd be for taking pictures of food or whatnot.
E: nvm there's a macro mode! (10cm MFD)
E2: The more I play with it the more I'm liking it.

Some size comparison shots:

(sorry it's upside down, can't edit images in album on imgur...)

rawrr fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2015

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
I'm not familiar with the G7X but imo the choice between the LX10 and RX100m3 comes down to whether you want a viewfinder or a touchscreen (and just better controls in general). I own a RX100m3 and had a LX100 (a bit too big), and I'm tempted to sidegrade to the LX10. I don't find myself using the viewfinder as often as I'd imagined so I think more physical dials plus a touch screen would be a bigger usability improvement; the RX100 is basically designed to be left in auto and used as a point and shoot.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The videos I've seen of the rx100m5 AF look pretty darn fast; non DSLR autofocus has come a long way vs even just a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
The other nice thing about the popup viewfinder is that it makes me secretly feel like a James Bond badass whenever I unlatch or restow the viewfinder.

...could be just me though.

• Locked thread