Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

tonelok posted:

Canon just announced the S95, SD4500 IS and SX130 IS.

So wait for reviews?

S95 = still 10MP, supposedly better image quality, plus some kind of Hybrid IS. 720p video. $400 this month.

SD4500 IS = 10MP CMOS, Dynamic IS, 1080p video, 10x zoom. $350 in September.

SX130 IS = 12x zoom, 12MP, 720p video, $250 this month.

That's my birthday choice sorted then. Now just have to figure out which one to get, probably the S95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The only thing 'missing' from the S95 is a pivoting LCD methinks.

Has anyone seen it advertised anywhere? I checked NewEgg.com but no joy yet.

Between the LX5, EX1 and S95, what's the consensus?

The S95 has HD video, 28-105mm, non-pivot screen, about £400??

The EX1 has no HD video, 24-72mm, a pivoting screen, about £300

The LX5 has HD video, 24-90mm, non-pivot screen, about £360

Everything else is about the same: RAW, full manual control, loads of scenes, face recognition, etc., etc.

I think for me the EX1 for me is out because of no HD video, so then I guess it becomes a coin toss between the Panasonic wider angle and the Canon's better zoom. The Panasonic is probably going to be cheaper as well.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah I was thinking about that - I'll be taking more wide-angle shots than trying to get all zoomed in on tiny birds or planes up in the sky. Zoom is nice but eventually I'll be getting a DSLR and I can try to get all zoomy with that.

Sensor comparisons from dpreview and the Panasonic site:
S95 - 1/1.63-type / 11.3 Total Megapixels / Primary Color Filter
LX5 - 1/1.7" Type CCD, 10 million effective pixels

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Of course!

I knew that.

Yeah...of course.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sample images from the LX5 for comparison...

I'm really really leaning towards the S95 and I know I won't kick myself for getting either one, but drat it (the Canon) looks good.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah, just waiting for it to come up on the EU shopping sites and hating VAT ($400 vs £400 is about $217 difference)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Luckily I don't 'need' the camera until October for a birthday trip, but I'll still be cutting it close - I'm sending my mom some money and she'll get it from Amazon or wherever...I'll have to pay for airmail and probably customs fees but I'll still be saving $£$£.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Does anyone know when the next batch of S95's will be getting to Amazon.com? I would imagine it's a monthly thing, but don't really know how the camera companies operate their manufacturing schedules.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dongsmith posted:

Amazon shows it in stock as of this post. Jump on that poo poo.

Wow, that was fast! Amazon told my mom to expect delivery between the 14th and the 20th, if that's true and airmail takes a week like it normally does I'll get it in plenty of time for my trip.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Warthog posted:

Now everybody's sperging about the S90 :smith:

Read the last couple of pages - the S95 is where it's at.

Hopefully I'll have mine by the end of the month!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Greybone posted:

If you don't want to do much video, the s90 is a fantastic deal now, I'd say.

I'd definitely agree with this - HD video was on my list so the s95 was the way to go for me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Dongsmith posted:

The S95 is the best compact point and shoot that I can imagine

this is straight outta the camera:

THE HOOP by Jimperialism, on Flickr

The joy of using the interface is worth the price of admission.

Dammmmmmnnn, I can't wait to get mine, it's in transit to me as I type.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally got my early birthday gift today: a brand-spanking new S95. I'm sure the S95 is making up 80% of the ownership in this thread :)

It's already on charge and I can't wait to use it!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I think it was a joke. See the title of the thread, then cross-reference with the past several pages of the thread.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So I dropped my brand new S95 in a stream - completely submerged for about 2-3 seconds. My jacket had a massive hole in one of the pockets I didn't spot until after the camera fell.

It turned on OK a couple of minutes later but a few minutes after that I got a very dark screen (the barest ghost of an image), I'm guessing some water got to the internals through the front ring because the battery compartment and AV plug area just had some small drops. I took out the battery and card and let it air dry for about 30 minutes, and when I tried again I got the screen to set the time and date, but the screen froze after about 20 seconds. I'm letting it dry overnight to see what happens. How screwed am I, do you think?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :( I'm on day 2 of a multi-day trip so I was hoping to not have to find dessicant gel in the back country of England and wait a couple of weeks. I guess I'll look up repair places when I get home.

e: I can find some rice at least, I've got some plastic bags to keep it in for a few days.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 12, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'll check with my mom (who sent me the camera), she usually uses American Express for her shopping so it probably is under some sort of dumbass insurance.

In other news, the camera works fine now.

Went and got a cheap bag of basmati rice and emptied it into a cheap Ziploc-style bag, then stuck the camera in to completely surround it. Waited a couple of days, then tried it again. There were tiny water drops inside the lens but it turned on fine and I put in the time/date - the last time I tried to do this 5 days ago, the time/date screen froze on me. I took the battery out with the lens fully extended (so the rice could extract water more easily from the lens area?) then put the camera back in the bag until just now, and the camera works fine. I've put the camera back in for a few more days just for extra assurance, but right now everything seems OK.

I'll take a full-res picture at some point and check it out at 100% zoom to see if there are any spots on the sensor or lens, but right now it looks like I don't have to worry about sending it anywhere to get fixed, or seriously look at gadget insurance.

So yes, this impatient ape is counting himself lucky!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
My only tip can be to carry some rice around with you.

Scratches on the lens and missing screws? I hope you're getting a good deal.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

manpants posted:

I figured as much. I've tested it pretty thoroughly and the scratches don't make a visible difference, and it functions well.

I'm getting it for £110, so I suppose I can't complain about it being imperfect, and I'm buying it from the shop I work at so if it doesn't work I'll be fine getting a refund.

I'm going to play with it some more on my next day off I think.

Edit:

(I don't get it)

do a Control+F on this page for this phrase: "So I dropped my brand new S95 in a stream", about 3 posts from the top like ExecuDork said.

And if you can get a refund for the G10 just in case, more power to ya! Good deal.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
You get a wall charger with the S95, for $10 you can get an extra 2 batteries to keep in the camera bag. That should be enough for 1000+ shots I'd think, it depends how much you use the screen to review/delete pictures, etc.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Lithium-based batteries lose a lot of their oomph when it's cold, so keep the batteries in an internal pocket when the temperature drops. Same thing with cell/mobile phones.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Spent a day at the Wales Rally GB this weekend and tried a load of manual settings on my S95 (I didn't drop it or anything!). Motorsports is perfect practice for getting settings right for action photos, because you can stay in one place and the cars/bikes come by at the same speeds/distance/angle.

I had trouble after the sun went down since I was deep in the forest stage, but still got some good pictures, I'll post a Google Photos album link and samples in a bit, but does anyone have a link to a good primer on what the various settings do? I do OK with panning and picking the right shutter speeds, but I was having trouble finding the right F-stop and ISO settings, especially as it went to completely dark.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

hairysammoth posted:

I am undoubtedly a very long way from being the most qualified person on the forums to talk about this, but my understanding is that in most circumstances you usually want to use the lowest ISO you can get away.

However, as you're also shooting moving targets, you're (probably) also looking for a relatively short exposure. Personally, I'd crank the aperture as wide as it'd go (assuming you're not worried keeping the background in focus). I'd then try a few different ISOs until I was looking at the lowest I could get while still using a decent shake-free shutter speed (again, depends on the camera, whether it has proper image stabilisation, whether you're using a tripod etc.). On my unstabilised Ricoh I can usually be confident of a half-decent shot at anything faster than 1/40.

With motorsports, though, this may be to slow if you subject is really hooning it. If that's the case, you may need to use a faster ISO so you can speed up the shutter. Either way, though, I'd keep the aperture cranked way open.

Now someone knowledgeable can explain to me exactly why I'm doing it completely wrong :science:

Technically right or wrong, what you say sounds right to my inexperienced ears, so thanks for replying.

These are the kinds of conditions I was working in (just uploaded these, these are the best ones)
late morning, but kind of a low sun through trees and shade:

mid-day, overcast

(in most of the pictures from this location, I was trying to get movement in the wheels, mud/gravel coming off the tires and the car in focus - I wasn't worried about the background at all)

late in the day (actually about 3) but the sun was going

and then close to full dark - couldn't find a good combination of shutter speed and panning

Many of the near-dark photos came out like this though:

I guess with a DSLR I could be taking loads of pictures in one go and delete the bad ones, but I gave up on the continuous shooting mode at the last position we were in because the cars were so quick in that section and the shooting mode was too slow.

More pictures here http://goo.gl/photos/X2EtEk0cxR - I guess anyone interested in an S95 can check out these photos, I tried all kinds of settings so there's a scattering of sample images

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 15, 2010

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah as the light was going completely I cranked the ISO way up, on one of the settings (low-light) I saw ISO 12800, I did a double-take because the number was so high. Some of the dark pictures came out pretty nice, but even on the screen I could see the noise.

That reminds me, if I'm going to do any more of this I need to get screen protectors. It wasn't raining but gravel was spitting everywhere from those things.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

DaNzA posted:

did you know you can actually change the IS mode from Shoot-only to Panning?

I'm still playing around and learning things, but yeah I'll check out the manual before I go to another event.

Thanks everyone!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Haggins posted:

As for the tripod mount my S90 has one and I don't see why the 95 wouldn't.

The S95 has a normal tripod mount

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I use the Lowe Pro Ridge 30, have had it for a couple of years for my A95 and now for the S95: http://products.lowepro.com/product/Ridge-30,2020,25.htm

The zipper in the flap holds memory cards, under that is a pouch that holds 2 batteries and a small SD card reader, and it comes with a thin shoulder strap. The main compartment is big enough to hold the shoulder strap and the S95. The only drawback of it is that you have to thread your belt through the belt loop (there's no buckle or velcro), so if you have backpacking trousers with a built-in webbing belt it might be hard to attach it to your hip.

That Canon case looks pretty classy though!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I don't shoot in RAW and don't have Photoshop at home (barring :files:) - I didn't even know your computer needed the 'right' software to even read RAW from particular cameras...does GIMP or Paint.Net have RAW support, or should I just load the Canon software and convert it?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah OK - I've never shot in RAW before but might start very soon, the S95 is my first RAW-capable camera.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Haggins posted:

I'd highly recommend using a piece of software to manage/edit your photos. If you're on the mac just use iPhoto and if you're on a PC I heard Picasa is good. Both are free and will read raws (though they may not be able to read S95 files just yet, they will very soon). If you want something more professional Lightroom is great and if you're on a mac you have the additional choice of using Aperture. These programs cost money but they're the best things out there for editing and managing your photos.

I use Picasa at home to upload stuff to Google, so I'll give that a try, thanks :) If it doesn't work I guess I can try out the Canon software, I haven't loaded it yet.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

So how is burst speed of the S95 and shutter lag? I'm trying to convince a coworker out of buying a bridge camera.

I don't know the stats (you can find them on review sites I'm sure) but I have a TON of photos of WRC rally cars on burst, maybe these will help: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vgx7rYdgL89_mBUrcMRkwg?feat=directlink

Also, as someone who was looking at the Lumix bridge cameras before I got the S95, really impress upon your coworker the size comparisons, specs and probably use. I think most people 'need' just an S95-level camera rather than a too-large bridge/hybrid/superzoom camera.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
The S95 takes just under 2 shots per second, the LX-5 can get up to 10 shots per second: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q42010highendcompactgroup/page2.asp but these are brand new and out of the price range.

Hamburglar posted:

My old Panasonic Lumix just poo poo the bed (not bad considering I bought it like 6 years ago) and the wife and I are looking for a new point and shoot to buy, like, today (we have some important stuff coming up this weekend). The S95 is a bit out of our price range, so I would like to know if I can get the following:

-Is sold at a major retailer
-Takes very, very fast photos (one thing she hated about the Panasonic was the good 3 seconds it would take between pressing the button and it taking a photo). Faster, the better here.
-Takes decent to good pictures

If someone could recommend one, I'll buy it today. Super emphasis on the speed in which you press the button and when the picture is actually taken. Double points if you can spaz out and just keep pressing it and it can take like 5 a second or something. Thanks :)

Have you checked how much are S90's going for in decent condition?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Tagra posted:

:words:

I have the S95 and I think you'll be fine with every one of your concerns.

Size/boot-up time - great and very good. I just started up mine in Auto mode and it's about a second to get the display up.

Low-light - I haven't tried any 'around the campfire' pictures with mine but I just tried a picture under the desk in my office and I could clearly pick out all the crap under there. If you're in any doubt, shoot in Program mode and shot RAW + JPEG and you can post-process to your heart's content.

Batteries - lithium-ion batteries last for AGES when charged. I bought 2 cheap spares and keep them in my mini camera bag where the S95 lives

Dropping it - ...don't? obviously if it's in your hand, use the strap if you're walking, but if you're doing anything technical like negotiating a cliffside scree trail stick it in a camera belt bag.

Macro - I've been pretty happy with the macro mode, right now I'm shooting mostly in manual mode and as long as I'm close enough it focuses on what I want it to.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Those costumes are pretty wow.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Wow, good find. If I was disappointed with the S95 that I got a year ago I'd really be wanting the S100, so maybe it's worth eBaying it with all the box/accessories and seeing what I can get the S100 for...but I know in the UK it'll be stupidly more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That's exactly what I did with my S95, got 2 batteries for very cheap and I haven't noticed any difference in battery life between the cheap ones and the OEM one.

• Locked thread