Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The main issues with the SX20 are sheer size and poor battery life (on 4 AAs so its inconvenient to carry more than one set of spares)

The EVF is actually pretty decent to use nowdays, they've improved a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Canon probably did have a card in (none of mine have had any internal memory for saving pictures), maybe the Sonys too. I don't think you'd need a very fast card for a point and shoot, unless maybe it needs it for the HD video mode.

BTW my old man has a DMC-ZS3 (similar to the ZS5) and is very happy with it. I don't think you NEED to mess with the auto modes, but if you know what you're doing you can definitely improve by altering settings manually.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

spog posted:

just buy a bog-standard card with a decent brand.

Be aware that a lot of brand name cards you'll find online are actually counterfeits and may not even be the advertised capacity let alone brand or speed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Why on earth would SD card speed be so critical to startup time?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Consider the G11/12 too. Lenses are slower at the wide end but you do get a bit more reach and they're so nicely built

I don't think aperture priority is especially useful on cheap point and shoots - my Panasonic LZ10 has it (all the manual controls actually) but at the long end of the zoom you only get to choose from 5.9-8.0 which doesn't really give you much control. May as well leave it in auto

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'd go and have a play with both if possible.

Personally I'm a big G-series fan, yes they are bulkier but they are far nicer to use/hold, articulated screen and still relatively portable. The viewfinder is pretty much useless if you're used to even a low end DLSR though

By the way while the S9x has a faster lens at the very wide end things change as you zoom in:
S90/G11
f2.0 / f2.8 (28mm)
f2.5 / f3.2 (35mm/37mm)
f3.2 / f3.2 (50mm)
f4.5 / f4.0 (85mm/83mm)
f4.9 / f4.0 (105mm/--98mm--) (s90 full zoom, g11 slightly less zoom)
f4.9 / f4.5 (105mm/--114mm--) (s90 full zoom, g11 slightly more zoom)
n.a. / f4.5 (n.a. / 140mm)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

Most of these were shot in full daylight so I had the aperture as far down as I could go for max DOF, and even at ISO 80 I was still shooting stuff at 300ths and 400ths of a second to get the little exposure meter on the right side of the screen to be in the middle.

You mean minimum depth of field?

Are you shooting RAW? If so what are you using to process the files? From the Dpreview review it seems like a lot of distortion correction goes on at the wide end and not all RAW converters will do it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

No, maximum. By aperture all the way down I meant the smallest size, that being the largest number, 8.whatever. I am shooting in RAW, opening them with UFRaw for some light (heh) white balance corrections before kicking them over to GIMP to adjust saturations and levels etc.

I hadn't heard about different RAW readers having any affect on the actual image rendering so I'll check up on UFRaw tonight and see if I can figure that out one way or another.

Ah must have been really bright then :)

Have a look at the Barrel and pincushion distortion entry here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons90/page9.asp - looks like that is what is happening to me

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

RAW is only ever as good as your RAW converter.

I get amazingly different results between DPP, DXO, FastStone and Picasa on a Canon 30D (which should be about as widely supported as anything)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

That sensor, the convenience of the controls and ability to shoot RAW are pretty much the whole reason the S90/5 gets recommended.

Without those features the Nikon is more like a high quality version of Canons lower end point and shoots (the Ixus 300HS for instance)

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sd4000is&products=nikon_cpp300&products=canon_s95

If you're not planning on shooting RAW anyway or using manual controls then I can see the appeal of the Nikon

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

What I mean is, when you have to carry it in a camera bag anyway instead of just in your pocket, the size difference b/w the G12 and an micro4/3 camera suddenly is pretty negligible.

Then the difference between a micro 4/3rds and a real DSLR becomes negligible too. You have to draw the line somewhere.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I haven't looked at one myself but it has the same resolution as the S90'5 so should be fairly good. The low end ones are way lower res.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Costello Jello posted:

I'd agree that a DSLR is a bad idea if he's not going to take it off auto. The depth of field issues alone would be terrible.

It actually isn't that bad (at least on the Canon side) - I've chucked my 30D on auto for my mum to use before and the results are still at least as good as a point and shoot on auto.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

Thanks, I was wondering if I was overlooking something or if it is just a noisy camera. Noisy it is!

What do you have the ISO set to? I limit my point and shoot to 400 in auto mode and even that's pushing it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Have a look here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_s95&products=canon_sx130is&products=canon_sx230hs

The SX130 is comparatively bulky (I'd say no longer pocketable) and has an awful screen even before you get into picture quality.

I'd rule it out and make the choice between the SX230 and the S95, with the 230 you get way more zoom but the lens is slower, you miss out on the more convenient manual controls and don't get the option of shooting RAW

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

enitsirk posted:

So, we were going to get an S100, but then my husband found this review that complained about the autofocus, and that scares me. The shots with the pigeon especially bother me, as that is an issue I have with my camera and it drives me insane.

Just set it to single point and recompose if necessary.

SLRs don't necessarily do any better job when you leave them on all points mode

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pope Mobile posted:

I'm looking for a simple P&S that will be used by someone who never really takes the camera off auto and has a flash you can toggle.

The OP says buy whichever Canon model looks good to you and I'd tend to agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Check out the Panasonic range.

I had a TZ10 (ZS7 in some places I think) and was pretty happy until my brother broke it. The TZ-20 has a touch screen but I think you can do most things without even using it.

• Locked thread