Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if you can still get this model anywhere, but I have the Panasonic DMZ-FZ50. It is a super-zoom with a lot of nice features.

Shoots RAW
A **MANUAL FOCUS RING** and a decent digital simulation of a focusing screen
Pretty good video
Fully Tilt-able LCD
in my experience- pretty rugged and durable (used a lot in dusty sub-freezing temps, thrown in a backpack, etc).
Handles like an SLR and not like a pack of cards
Did I say Manual Focus Ring?

Cons
relatively slow autofocus, hunts around sometimes
pics can be noisy, especially when zoomed in and/or cropping.
flash not the best (tends to blow things out)
when I bought it, it was definitely one of the more expensive super-zooms out there.

If you don't expect a DSLR, this is a pretty great camera. I'll be taking this with me on a trip to South America so I can get wildlife and scenic shots without worrying about multiple lenses and a more expensive DSLR body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a Nikon P7000? I saw one at a store last night and I really like how the controls look. Reviews seem pretty down on it though, at least compared to the equivalent Canons.

Also, the s90/95 seems to getting a lot more shout-outs than the G12- is that mainly because the s95 is a little cheaper and smaller, or are there other advantages over the g12?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

They have the same sensor and processor, so the picture quality is the same: yet while the S90 will fit in a shirt pocket, the G12 needs to be fitted with wheels and dragged around.

The S90 is also 1 stop faster

and as the final punch inthe G12's balls, it is cheaper.

It's really a no-brainer unless you really, really need a viewfinder, a hotshoe or big buttons to play with.

EDIT: to quote The Rock:

Thanks- that's kind of what I thought. Looks like the zoom is a bit longer on the G12 too, but only 5x vs 3x? Probably not enough to make that much difference. I actually like the idea of a viewfinder and a slightly larger camera (I find them easier to hold steady), so I guess I might end up being one of those suckers. I'll have to try them both out. Either one would be the smallest camera I've ever owned...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

Thoughts on the newly released canons? Pissed that no new s95 came out. Might just go for it anyway.

I hear you on that. I'm still torn between G12 and s95, and was hoping a new S100 would make up my mind for me.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

All rumors in the past have pointed to a September release, so perhaps you should wait a bit longer. And anyway, I think it's an easy decision between those two. Get the s95. The G12 is bulky enough that personally I'd rather just have a micro4/3 camera instead. The optical viewfinder on the G12 is pretty crappy and not really a selling point for me.

The g12 is maybe like a micro 4/3 without an attached lens, which is a big difference. It also is longer than the S95 and as fast or faster than the S95 at the long end. Also more manual controls, closer macro. And I'm a sucker for flippy screens (have a 60D as well). But I got to handle an S95 a bit on Saturday, and that beautiful bright screen is pretty great. That, the size, fast lens, and the $100 price difference are keeping me undecided.

If I wait too long, I'll probably "accidentally" click buy on an X100...

Unrelated question- how big a deal is it not to have box/manual/cables, etc when selling a P&S? I'd like to sell my bridge camera (Panasonic DMZ-FZ50)- these appear to go for > $200 (it's a pretty great camera for a slightly out-of-date bridge), and if I sell it here on SA it will be priced to move, but I'm wondering how much I should realistically deduct if I can't manage to find the accessories.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Costello Jello posted:

What I mean is, when you have to carry it in a camera bag anyway instead of just in your pocket, the size difference b/w the G12 and an micro4/3 camera suddenly is pretty negligible.

I'm not sure I'd carry the s95 in my pants pocket anyway. Either the S95 or G12 would fit pretty comfortably in a jacket pocket though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know bridge cameras are not very popular around here, but I just put my Panasonic DMC-FZ50 up in SA-mart. This camera has pretty nice ergonomics and manual controls, but obviously the sensor and video are a generation or two behind the new cameras these days.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Pulled the trigger on a G12 last night. The heart wants what the heart wants...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cross_ posted:

Looking for some buying advice:

I am trying to find a cheap (<$300) bridge camera for my father. He's interested in the recent re-release of the D3100 / 18-105VR combo - "because it's metallic red!" :(

For vacation snapshots that will be made in auto mode that seems like overkill. In terms of quality all he needs is a P&S, but he hates the ergonomics of not having a large grip and an optical viewfinder. So far the Coolpix p500 comes pretty close except it has an EVF. Any similar models you can think of ?

Don't know if you'd consider a used camera, but I'm selling a Panasonic FZ-50. Ergonomics are very similar (or in some ways better) than an entry-level DSLR. Shoots RAW, and manual focus/zoom are pretty easy. It's not current generation though, so screen is only 2", video maxes at 640x480. Check it out here. So be a cheapskate!
e: now $150.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 14, 2011

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, pretty much low light and/or cropping will really reveal noise. I had a panasonic bridge*, was pretty proud of it until I was with friends with digital rebels and we compared photos. Was not long before I joined the dslr world.

*Panasonic bridge is for sale if anyone wants it ha ha...

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

I need some one to slap me across the face.

I'm taking a trip to the Caribbean half way through December for about 3 weeks and need a camera. Only other camera I've ever had is a coolpix 3200 (or something similar in the coolpix line) but I automatically start looking at olympus e-pm1 and other mirror less cameras so I can be a super awesome photographer with a cool thin camera and blow 500$.

So I do research, have a cool off period and decide I should probably just get a p&s for the time being and in a few years upgrade if the need presents itself.

So back to p&s. Taking the s90 recommendation and looking at alternatives, I find that bestbuy canada is selling the Nikon coolpix s9100 for 260$ on sale ending today. I prefer the body of the s9100 compared to the s90 but only because it looks like the nikon has a place to hold it. Should i jump at this price even if the camera may be over kill for my skill/needs.

TL
Previous cameras: low level nikon coolpix
Used for: Travel/party camera
price range: I think there is a saying about a fool and his money

The Nikon S9100 has a much longer zoom, and it looks like built-in GPS.

The Canon s90 has a much faster lens when shooting wide angle (better for low light), and also shoots RAW format if that is important to you. The lens doesn't have much reach if you want to shoot things far away.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just noticed Amazon has the S95 for $290- that seems like a much better deal than I've seen before.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Umph posted:

Do any of you know if there will be a good deal on a s95 on cyber Monday anywhere? Thats the most recommended entry level cannon for P&S right? It's sad when OPs get abandoned, need to get a decent camera as a gift and I want to get the best one I can afford, thanks guys!

They are under $300 on Amazon now- how cheap were you expecting?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't held an X10, but I have a G12 which is in the same ballpark size-wise. I was able to fit it in a dress-pants pocket with no problem (w/o a case), so cargo pants/shorts would be fine. However, I don't see it fitting in jeans pockets at all.

Can't speak to the benefits of X10 vs S95- on paper it sounds better but people are complaining about some sort of white spot issue, and I haven't looked at enough comparisons to know whether it is worth the extra $$ over the S95/100/G12.

FWIW- the tilty screen of the g12 might be handy if you have to hold the camera over your head, and it is a little longer and faster at the long end than the s95. However, costs at least $100 more right now, so you'd really have to love the extra controls to make it worth while.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vertebrah posted:

I've been recently looking into getting a p&s for an upcoming trip I'm taking to Costa Rica. I've been trying to find one that takes good quality photos and has most of the manual control found on a DSLR, but one that is still portable and doesn't require a large bag to carry it around in. I've been looking at the Nikon P7000 lately and it seems to fit this category. Has anyone had any hands on with one, or owned one to know if it does?

I looked at it, and ultimately went with a Canon G12. dpreview had some complaints.

How important are wildlife photographs to you? If at all, you probably want to look at travel zooms or bridge cameras. At least the last time I looked, the things in the same class with the P7000 all had wimpy zooms. You could also look into a small/and or used DSLR body and a super-zoom lens- something like the Tamron 18-270.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Here's a fairly recent comparison of some of the travel zooms. I think it echoes what ma i married a tuna said. These are all at least cargo-pants-pocket/coat pocket sized, which can be really nice for travel, and something you can use for nights out.

The bridge cameras are a little bulkier- like a mini DSLR. Will fit in a backpack or shoulder bag easily, and won't look super-pro gear steal me big and expensive. They will probably have easier manual controls than the superzooms, and some will shoot RAW. I'd guess they also have better battery life. I have an old one that I still use on trips if I don't want to haul a DSLR along. It's ergonomics are better than most entry DSLR (manual focus and zoom rings on the lens, two control wheels, etc). (I'm still trying to sell it)

For jungles and night shots of nesting turtles, faster lenses (smaller f/aperture numbers) will be helpful, although I don't recall any of the travel zooms being particularly fast. Dark environments with distant animals moving around in the canopy are about the hardest thing to take a photo of.

You might look at the close focus distance too, so if you find frogs or bugs or something you can get macro shots. That's one thing that point and shoots can actually do pretty well.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just bought one too. I bought a G12 at the end of the summer and had been semi-regretting not having the smaller s95 (although i love the G12). Now I can give the s95 to my girlfriend for Christmas and borrow it whenever I want. Win-win!

edit- Apparently the goon-rush over-sold the camera, and now it's back-ordered and not available by Christmas. Anyone else have this problem? And now I have to come up with a real present...

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 20, 2011

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah- I like the G12. I got my gf an S95 for christmas, and while I love the LCD it really feels way too small in my hands.

Just got a kick out of a new Casio announcement

DP review post posted:

HDR-ART creates artistic photographs

The EX-ZR200 features Casio’s HDR-ART function for enabling anyone to create truly artistic photographs at the press of the shutter button, unlike anything possible with conventional cameras before. The function works by combining continuous shots with differing exposures and performing highly precise image analysis to locally change levels of contrast and color saturation. Users can select from three different processing levels of art effects. The HDR-ART function can also be applied to movies (only one level of art effect available), allowing them to produce dramatic movies from everyday scenes.

3 levels of art, huh? For HDR, it really needs to GO UP TO 11. :rock:

(it actually sounds like it could be fun once in a while).

it also talks about a function to auto-blurring the background. Are these crazy things on all cameras and I've just been ignoring them, or is this new crazy?

edit- not sure if anyone posted the iso tests from the G1X. Looks pretty good.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mnemosyne posted:

I guess whatever deal this was is over now? My husband is buying me an S95 as a belated Christmas present, and I can't find it for less than $330.

Which leads me to my next question: Has Canon stopped producing the S95 now that the S100 is out? I'm basically wondering if the current stock is all that's available or if I might be able to wait for prices to drop.

I think it was a gold box deal, not sure how often those pop up.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There were some pre-holiday sales on the s95 that pushed it well under $300- not sure when we're likely to see those again, but if you don't need it in a hurry and want to save some money, might be worth returning it now if you'd like a great camera for cheaper.

At the price point you mention, I'd be tempted to get the S100- it has GPS logging which I don't think the s95 has. I haven't ever had a camera that had that but it seems like it could be cool for tagging/organizing photos.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a crazy idea, but for $500 you could get an s100 and a zoomy p&s, and then you won't have to share!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Glad you have a waterproof camera- that's what we got our labmate for his honeymoon in Hawaii, and they used it a ton.

If you are ok with the larger camera, go for it. The S100 is really compact, as are some of the 10x travel zooms. I'm not sure what would be more awkward- carrying around a mirrorless and an extra lens or two, or a couple of compacts with extra batteries.

----
I just came across an announcement for a new Sony P&S. Does anyone know anything about the Sony DSC-RX100 20mp 1"sensor, f1.8 lens, in what looks like a fairly small body. Color me interested- will be interesting to see how this stacks up to the X10 and GX1. And gently caress you B&H, for your "hands on preview" not giving dimensions or focal range.

edit: Must have been an NDA ending tonight- a better preview just up on DPReview Looks like it isn't perfect but has a nice upside for a large-sensor p&s

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 6, 2012

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dumb question, but in a p&s are ND filters digital and could that be addressed with firmware in the future?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a new G-series (G15) as well. Lens looks better F/1.8-F/2.8 than the G12, but still has the 1/1.7" sensor. Supposedly faster AF and start-up which would be nice. Otherwise not a huge leap forward as far as I can see. Unless you really like the ergonomics of the G-series and don't want to spring for the G1X, seems like this is a place-holder until they can do something more interesting with the line.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've got a g12 and it has pretty good controls for manually adjusting shutter speed and aperture. I assume the G10 can do live view histograms too.

Manual focus would definitely be easier with some sort of SLR/DSLR though compared to the G-series, and if you plan to use the viewfinder, it would be better go get something with more coverage and/or more information.

I think you would be ok until you want really wide angle photos, lots of out of focus areas in your shots and/or indoor/no flash, or telephoto.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just put a Canon G12 up for sale

Same sensor as the S95, lots of controls. Definitely not as slim as the s95/S100, but good for a coat pocket or if you don't mind walking around with a big bulge in your pants.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

I'm mentally spending my tax return and I think I'm ready to replace my long lost S90.

I'm debating between the Rx100 II and the Canon G1X. I've owned a G9 which I replaced with a S90. The S90 was nice but I ended up missing the the ergonomics of the G series. It felt like I was using a real camera and I feel like it was easier to compose a shot on.

Pocket ability isn't a big deal to me. Which ever I get I'll only carry it around when I want to go shooting (but don't want to carry the dslr). I don't need an always on me camera since I have an iphone 5s. I'm pretty set on the point and shoot idea, I really don't want to bother with changing lenses and like to have a zoom.

I'm leaning towards the G1X for the larger sensor and the ergonomics. I also like having the eye piece even if it's not perfect. Finally, I'm not sure if I'll bother or not, but it might be fun to use with one of my speedlites and a wireless trigger.

I know the RX100 gets a lot of love here and not so much for the G1X. Am I crazy for wanting one?

I had a g12 and more or less liked the ergonomics of it. One thing that killed the G1X for me was the 20cm close focus- I wasn't going to be able to take obnoxiously close photos of food or bugs or whatever.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm not really sure how to reconcile that RX100 vs G7X review with DPReview's conclusion that they didn't really like the shooting experience on the RX100.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

powderific posted:

Did you read their G7X impressions? They didn't like the shooting experience there either.

Well then... I wonder if there's any of this that will get fixed in a firmware update.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

OP suggests buy the best Canon you can afford but last time I did that with a Powershot A590 I got burned with a camera that ate batteries like an SOB and was slow between shots. Turned out it was a common bug for those cameras; but it took great pictures. I also have an old Nikon S200 that I dislike, I'm terrible at picking cameras apparently.

I'm looking at a couple of used Canon cameras: SD780IS, A480, and ELPH 160. and I'm seeing a lot of similar complaints, short battery life, slow between shots, lens errors. I'm leery of buying another Canon.

This is mostly for taking pictures of stuff to sell on ebay, so the important factors are decent low light ability, good macro ability, and many of the objects are metal which defeats my phone camera because of the reflectivity. Looking for advice or a recommendation. I know my budget is low, $200 new or $100 used, but I got other bills right now.

It's a decent step up to the S or G series p&s from canon- if you look carefully you may find a S110 or 120 for under 200, or look for an older but good model like G12 or S95. For macro, the tilting screen of the Gs might be helpful.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Or maybe G7X or one of the other larger sensor compacts.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

meiram posted:

Hey y'all. The boyfriend and I are going to Spain soon, and since I'd like to start taking more pictures anyway I've decided to use the trip as an excuse to get a new dedicated camera (rather than just using my phone or figuring out what I did with my old lovely p&s that isn't much better than the phone anyway), and something that's going to be better than the phone of course. I'm eyeing either the rx100 mk2 or the g9x, I think. I'd rather not spend more than the rx100. Aside from the Spain trip and any other trips, I'd mostly use it for taking pictures around town or of my cat. A lot of the features I like they seem pretty similar on, so I'm trying to tell if the extra $70 for the rx100 is really worth it. I have probably averaged sized hands for a woman, so I don't think size is an issue on either. Thoughts? Thanks!

Not exactly answering your question, but I got a g7x for a trip to Spain last year- my gf had her s95. The extra 4mm on the wide end made some difference (24mm compared to 28) when trying to get floor-to-ceiling shots in churches or exteriors in narrow alleyways.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

meiram posted:

That's a good point, and I was eyeing the g7x too, but it's a bit out of my range new and I'm relying on prime shipping since we leave a week from tomorrow. Just checked again though and there was one used right between the cost of the other two with prime shipping, so I bit the bullet. Thanks for the response. :)

Cool! I've enjoyed mine. One quick heads up: At least for the G7x, and probably for the g9x too (not sure), there's no direct panorama mode. Instead there's a Panorama Assist mode that helps you line up different stills to then stitch together on the computer. Not a huge deal if you don't mind using your smartphone for panoramas, but a baffling omission on the part of Canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Are any of the 'me too' 1" sensor compacts from Canon (powershot G-whatever X-something) or Panasonic (ZSnumber or FZnumber) a good value compared to an RX100III/IV? Seems like you might be able to save a few $$$ by getting one of those. The image quality is probably fairly close to an RX, but I don't know anything else about their AF performance or ergonomics. They also don't have BSI sensors like the latest RX's, but I'm not really sure what 'backside illumination' does for you. Seems like it might elicit unwanted attention. Although I guess it would make jogging at night safer.

I have a G7X (m1) and I'm pretty happy with it. I think it may have the widest lens of the set, and has good ergonomics. I love the dedicated exposure compensation dial and the tilt screen is occasionally really handy for low-angle shots. It's definitely bulkier than the RX100 though. I don't do much video fwiw.

• Locked thread