Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, I'm looking to buy a P&S, and I've managed to put a wee list together.

The P&S is mainly going to be used to snapshots (holidays, hiking, a night out and so on), nothing really fancy, I haven't got any use for a 100% shooting manual mode, as long as I can set the WB myself.

So my fellow goons, which of the following cameras would you choose?

Ricoh CX1 (7.1x zoom, 180 grams, CMOS)

Casio EX-FC100 (5x zoom, 146 grams, CMOS)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS6 (4x Leica zoom, 115 grams, CCD)

The CX1 is the most expensive, and the Panasonic is the cheapest.

So, what would you guys choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

eviljelly posted:

My girlfriend wants a camera that's a bit more than a tiny point & shoot but at a super budget price. She's looking to spend in the neighborhood of 150 euros. It's a tall order, I know, but I wonder if the Canon SX160 fits the bill. It's 110 euros on Amazon and the reviews seem to say it's not that great but that for the price you can't complain. Any ideas, guys? Or something else in that range? She also wants the camera to be a bit hefty - she doesn't like the super compact cameras.

What about a Canon SX260HS - it's 170 euros on Amazon.de, got the same myself, and it's quite good.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Kenny Logins posted:

So can a lack of taste or technical appreciation.

On the other hand, sometimes photos like this (from the Cell Phone Photography thread)

are legitimately :krad: but are the result of a lot of experience both with shooting and post-work (and some luck).

E: I'm also curious as to what constitutes "pain in the rear to use". Manual controls are not as easy as shooting full-auto but if you know what you're doing it's obviously worth it. My wife got irritated with my shooting when we were on vacation (first time having done so with a camera that had full manual controls) so I'm sure I was being a PITA technically but she has better vacation photos as a result. On the other hand I like the UI for Canon stuff but find the Sony UIs I've encountered to be a pain to use by comparison.

Thanks for the nice words about my picture (the one with the motocross bike).

Can't really say I have a lot of experience - only had my phone (a Nokia Lumia 1020) for about a month now, the picture was taken using the Nokia Smart Cam app.

Edit: The photo was taken directly from the phone, no processing afterwards.

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jun 17, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
So, a friend of my dad got a Canon Powershot S95 which he'll want to sell - I've been given the option to buy for it for $80. My question is if it should go for it?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

whatever7 posted:

A camera this old is total crapshoot. Go for it if its rarely used, well taken care of, or has 2 extra batteries. Its only a fair price not a good price.

I've now seen and tried it. It has no scratches, got a protection film on the screen, extra unused battery and everything works as it should.

I think I'll go for it.

• Locked thread