Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Would y'all recommend something for my SO?

She's too lazy to fiddle with any manual settings but is tired of her phone's poor performance with macro/low light.

- Small to average size and weight
- Battery must last a whole day of snapping pics and taking short video clips (willing to buy 1 spare if needed, but not preferred)
- Point and shoot ok, no manual functions needed, going to be using auto mode and macro mode
- Good image stabilization, optical zoom, macro focus
- Fast power on and picture taking
- Will definitely be used to take videos, 720p minimum, autofocus/zoom while filming, decent dim room light quality
- Uses miniSD, doesn't require me to buy some brand-exclusive memory card
- Viewfinder would be a huge plus but not required
- Cute colors (pastels, silver, white) would be a plus but not required
- Budget: $250 or less is ideal, but open to spending up to $350.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

She's too lazy to fiddle with any manual settings but is tired of her phone's poor performance with macro/low light.

- Battery must last a whole day of snapping pics and taking short video clips (willing to buy 1 spare if needed, but not preferred)
- Point and shoot ok, no manual functions needed, going to be using auto mode and macro mode
- Will definitely be used to take videos, 720p minimum, autofocus/zoom while filming, decent dim room light quality

Thanks for all of your replies. The list was top to bottom in order of importance. She is taking a trip to Korea for a couple of weeks and would like a camera she can carry around all day and not worry about the battery dying. Would a single extra battery with the S110 suffice for a full day's work? And no she didn't mean miniSD. She just didn't want a camera that forces you to buy a special memory card.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Just get a spare battery. Its like $5 on ebay.

Do I have to worry about explodey chinese made ones?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

I made this post a while back and got some good information (I'm probably gonna buy a s110 for personal use actually) but the gf is looking into the sony a5000 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399019272&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a5000) because she wants the "flippy lcd thing" to take pictures/video of herself. Is this an alright choice at the price point or is she shooting herself in the foot?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I've been using my S110 quite a bit recently, so much so that I'm starting to think about buying another camera. To be clear I'm firmly in casual hobbyist territory: I've graduated from the auto setting but only just. My two complaints are low light performance (the big one) and zoom on both close and far objects. My problems are probably still user error at this stage but are there any models I should be looking at anyway?

Virtue fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 18, 2017

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

DJExile posted:

E: what are you trying to shoot? You said zoom on both close and far objects.

I keep my camera in my pocket so random things like a bird in a tree or a bee on a flower. Cliche, I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

What if the new iPhone has a 1" sensor though

• Locked thread