Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coke
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, worst thing you could've done is acting like an impatient ape and run electricity thorough the wet/shorted electronics, repeatedly, which is exactly what you did. Should have dried the exterior immediately, removed battery/card and leave it in a bag of rice/desiccant silica gel for a few days or weeks.

And it's likely there's a tripped moisture sensor sticker inside, so you are pretty much hosed. This will teach you to be more patient and be more careful with your electronics in the future.

This also apply to cellphones and pretty much all other mobile/personal electronics.

Sorry if I sounded mean, just sad to see a perfectly good piece of equipment being ruined by mishandling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Like 10 seconds with google

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Canon-PowerShot-S95-Digital-Camera-First-Impressions-Review-21876.htm

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Just use the histogram for metering exposures on the S95 and you will get pretty much perfect exposure every time.

Press the DISP button on the S95 until you see the histogram on the screen. Look at the right side of the graph and tune the +/- exposure compensation (by turning the back dial) till you are just a click away from over exposing the image. Over exposing means that there's something bumped up towards the right edge of the graph, you want to make sure the graph is flat at the very right hand side.

The only down side is that the image might be seem slightly overexposed or too bright on the back LCD screen, but dont trust the s90/s95's built in LCD and I promise you that you wont over expose anything as long as you check the histogram.
You can also just darken the image in post and get the benefit of having less noise in the image.

Further reading
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

coke
Jul 12, 2009

FasterThanLight posted:

Does it seem to happen a lot when there's snow around?
It sure does. As the meter in every camera wants to make everything '18% grey/22% luminance'.

So the camera will always underexpose if the frame is filled with snow, polar bear in a snow storm or even just a white cat. Same thing with overexposing black cars, black bear or bearing wearing a black suit/jackets.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

eriddy posted:

Tomorrow I'm going to Hong Kong and I was wondering if there are a couple of basic "must know" kind of tips or tricks for the S95 that you guys could tell me. I'm pretty tech savvy and I have an 18 hour flight to play around with the camera settings and stuff. I'd really appreciate any beginners pointers you all could give.
Try shoot in raw and

DaNzA posted:

To combine the already mentioned clock short cut, there are few other things you can do with the S95:

Hold down the review button to view the photos without powerup the rest of the lens/camera.

Hold down Func. Set and press power to bring up the neat clock.

While shooting in outdoor/brightly lit situations. Hold down DISP button to instantly toggle between maximum and preset LCD brightness.

AF LOCK-
While half pressing the shutter button and achieved a focus, press the macro/MF button (left ring button) to get focus lock (basically changing it to MF). To revert to regular focus, just let go of the shutter button and press the macro/MF button briefly.

AE LOCK
While half pressing the shutter button and achieved an exposure reading, press the exposure compensation button (top ring button) to get exposure lock. To revert to regular exposure, just let go of the shutter button and press the exposure compensation button briefly.

DaNzA posted:

Judging from the two shots you posted, you were actually try to get those panning shots with a sharp looking car but with a blurry background, but did you know you can actually change the IS mode from Shoot-only to Panning?

Panning stabilization mode will only stabilize the lens in one axis and should give you a sharp looking result even with something like 1/10 ~ 1/25, it's pretty much what the SLR shooters use explicitly on their IS lenses when shooting motorsports. And with such a slow shutter speed and improved hybrid-is on S95, you should should be able to get sharp photos without cranking up the ISO or using the wide end only.

Read the manual :v:

coke posted:

Just use the histogram for metering exposures on the S95 and you will get pretty much perfect exposure every time.

Press the DISP button on the S95 until you see the histogram on the screen. Look at the right side of the graph and tune the +/- exposure compensation (by turning the back dial) till you are just a click away from over exposing the image. Over exposing means that there's something bumped up towards the right edge of the graph, you want to make sure the graph is flat at the very right hand side.

The only down side is that the image might be seem slightly overexposed or too bright on the back LCD screen, but dont trust the s90/s95's built in LCD and I promise you that you wont over expose anything as long as you check the histogram.
You can also just darken the image in post and get the benefit of having less noise in the image.

Further reading
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/understanding-histograms.shtml

Also holding down Func.Set while pressing the power button will bring up a neat clock :)

• Locked thread