Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

jackpot posted:

I've got a friend ignoring my suggestion (S90) and looking hard at getting the Canon SX20, because that's what's in stock at the moment. It's got a monster zoom range, but like the OP pointed out it sounds kinda like a jack of all trades, master of none. Is this a camera I should tell her to steer clear of, or will it be fine for the average consumer who doesn't know poo poo about photography, but wants to learn a little?

I don't know, sometimes I feel like the photography community loves to poo poo on superzooms a little too much. While a 10x zoom lens might be an unwise purchase for an enthusiast DSLR user, for someone who just wants a camera that can 'do it all' it could very well be a worthwhile purchase. I used a Canon SX100 before I really got 'into' photography, and for a $200 camera the image quality was more than acceptable at any giver focal length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The A620 will probably be more responsive and have better controls, and it also has an optical viewfinder which is always nice. I'd take that over an A4x0 any day.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Warthog posted:

I'm a poor student; currently I have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 which obviously is kind of dated (bought 2004 or 2005?, 3 MP).
I really love that cam and people keep telling me the pictures it takes are impressive for a digi-cam from the stone-ages... Still I need something with less dents and more megapixels and zoom.

I spent the last few days researching and before I came here I was pretty sure the Casio EX-FH100 was my choice. Now everybody's sperging about the S90 :smith:

Is the S90 that much better or will I be fine with the FH100?

Casio isn't exactly known for its well-designed cameras. I'd buy the Canon over any Casio in a heartbeat.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

e: wrong thread

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Shawn posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so redirect me if there is a better recommendation thread.

My wife and I mostly shoot candids and we want a camera that catches moving objects (cats are fast). From what I've read this requires faster shutter speed. Are there any point and shoots that have good shutter speed or do I need to start looking into DSLRs? Our current camera is a Sony Cybershot DSC-W90 it is UNACCEPTABLE and will not shoot our... sports (cats).

Shutter speed isn't the problem with most point and shoots- most will do 1/2000 second exposures which is plenty fast for shooting animals.

What you need to look for is a camera with minimal shutter lag (mirrorless interchangeable or DSLR) and fast autofocus (really only DSLR's at this point).

So you probably should take a look at Canon and Nikon's entry level DSLR offerings.

• Locked thread