Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The S90 is coming up on a year old now, have there been any rumblings about a replacement model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The one killer feature of Samsungs is the fact that they can charge by USB, I've never really been impressed by their pictures though. That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings, I'm assuming it's because the bulbs don't work that way but there's pretty much no picture taken in a bar in the last 5 years that isn't completely blown out. The camera knows the people are 4 feet away, why provide the same light as a 15 foot shot?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

Eh, they do? The $100 jobs might not, but I'm pretty sure most P&S with manual settings have flash power adjustments.

They're there but even the minimum setting is way too bright for people/objects you're selling on eBay at 3-5 feet, at least on the 3 I've owned.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Whoever makes those 10MP CMOS sensors must be really happy with the trends of late.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'll probably end up picking up an S95, I was briefly entertaining thoughts of a LX5 or NEX but they're not really pocketable and I'd rather save my money towards a proper SLR.

azathosk posted:

That will be about $555 for you dollar-people.
Socialized medicine ain't free v:shobon:v

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone ever had a bad experience with an off-brand battery? Because the idea of having a camera that's not just out of juice but actually busted while I'm on a trip freaks me out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got my S95 last week, I'm pretty impressed so far. One thing I've noticed is that a lot of indoor shots seem to have a yellowish cast to them, is this from not setting the white balance?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Buying a shipping container of outdated cell phone camera sensors and charging hipsters $150 for "lo fi" cameras is a pretty smart business model though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone know of any good guides or books for learning the basics of how to get the most out of a manual digital camera? I love my S95 but it seems like the really great shots I get are just a coincidence that I managed to get exposure/ISO right. My usual techniques of "screw with it until you learn it" aren't quite enough for a camera with this many controls. Most of the stuff I've seen is either all about high-end film/DSLR stuff or about how to fix things in Photoshop.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

There's little more to the technical side than the exposure triangle.
Yes there is and I'm trying to figure out how to learn about it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MMD3 posted:

Can any s90 or s95 owners tell me if it's possible to charge the camera with a USB cable?
No, it's not which sucks, everything else I take on a trip charges by USB. I've seen occasional USB Canon battery chargers on sketchy HK websites but they look really dodgy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Flip-out screens are increasingly rare and almost entirely on the higher end of the market.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Both the S90 and the S95 were announced in the middle of August, has there been any rumors about a new model?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lowness 72 posted:

Canonrumors is saying an S100 (though likely to be renamed) will be released soon. Anyone have any details?

No but the S90 and S95 were both announced in mid-August so it seems likely.

I use this case because it's durable as hell and I can strap it onto my bag [plus it was free]. It's not really pocketable though, I usually just carry my camera "bare".

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 19, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This is the part that sticks out the most to me: "can shoot nonstop at 2.3 fps in other modes". I'm not going to upgrade from my S95 but faster performance would definitely help.

I'm also assuming the "200 shots per charge" does not include using the GPS.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

For a family point and shooter should I go with a SX220 or a ELPH 310? There's not much info on the 310 out there so that's making it hard for me to decide but from what I can tell the features, other than the increased zoom of the SX220, are about the same.

The price is about the same as well. Personally, P&S quality, video, and battery life are the three biggest concerns.

I'm getting a camera for my sister and brother-in-law and I'm trying to decide between these two as well. My concern is more around durability, would the long zoom on the SX220 make it more fragile? Plus the 310 seems to be having Thailand-related supply issues.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canuckistan posted:

I ended up going for a ELPH 300 instead of the 310. It was cheaper and has mostly the same features if you don't care about the 8x vs 5x zoom.

$50 cheaper and in stock? I think we have a winner.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was under the impression that all development on consumer camcorders was basically over and now they just take one of their camera sensor/lens packages from a still camera and put it in a different body.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sad Panda posted:

What's the release cycle like? I just lost my s95 and am looking to get a replacement. I've got 4-5 weeks that I can wait, and would of course prefer to not buy an s100 if they're about to replace it.
The S95 was announced Aug 19, 2010. The S100 was announced Sep 15, 2011 but between the earthquake in Japan, the floods in Thailand and shakeups in the market like Olympus falling apart it's hard to know. Even if a new camera was announced tomorrow it wouldn't be in the market in 4-5 weeks anyway.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can set up auto-loading in Picasa when you put the SD card in, of course I'm not a huge fan of Picasa's organizational model but that's one step covered at least.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Canon announced the S-110 which as far as I can tell is exactly the S100 with Wifi and a touchscreen. The lens and sensor are identical.

It's kind of bananas how many of these high-end compacts are coming out.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was planning on upgrading my camera this fall but I may wait until either the RX100 gets wifi or the S-series Canon gets a better sensor/lens.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hypnolobster posted:

Well hell, I bought my RX100 figuring that more high end P&S on the same level as the RX100 would take a good long time.
That'll teach me :v:

The RX100 is still way ahead in the sensor size department even if some of the other ones have faster lenses.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Those Canons are wide-angle, I think you'd want something with better zoom for something like that.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

This looks interesting:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m2
$100 more than the normal RX100 though...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

If I didn't have a Ricoh GR, I'd be all over that. Definitely worth an extra 100 dollars for a tilt-screen and more sensitive sensor, in my opinion.

Yeah, my S95 is getting long in the tooth and while I was considering a ILC I know I wouldn't be as happy if I couldn't cram it into my poscket.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

whatever7 posted:

Wow, Sony is going to make a "lens camera" out of RX100's lens and sensor. Clip on and clip off from your phone.

This is the new watermark of creep shot camera. :3:

I like the concept ok but that's way too big and the ergonomics look super-awkward

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone used the iOS wifi transfer apps on newer Canons or Sonys? I assume they're miserable but I'd like to know how miserable.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 17, 2013

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So where exactly can one get a RX100MII for $550? Even used ones are $600+

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You can get a Nex 3 with a lenz@! for like $300 on Amazon now so that's not too far off.

I think smartphone subsidies have broken American's brains as far as the value they expect to get out of electronic devices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So after waiting forever I broke down and bought a RX100 MII a few weeks ago and now:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-rx100miii-priced-at-899-canadiad-us-dollars-full-specs-leaked/
If it's $899 CAD it'll probably be the same or maybe $850 in the US, I'm almost glad it's so pricey, it takes a bit of the sting off. The simple fact is that I bought it then because I have a big trip coming up at the end of June and I wanted to get to grips with the camera before I left so this wouldn't have mattered anyway.

That said, 2.8 at full zoom is like drat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's $800 not $899, which changes things a bit but oh well.

whatever7 posted:

According to rumors both Canon and Nikon will release P&S cameras with a 1" sensor.
I have this feeling that those two companies are still too afraid of cannibalizing DSLR sales to really make it as good as they could be.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

In good light at Facebook resolution sure it might not be a huge difference but there's no way a phone can get a shot like this:

[Taken handheld after 3 beers]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The RX100 on auto will take generally better pictures than a Canon S1XX but it's bigger, heavier and the UI isn't as good as Canon and some of the features of the RX100 like the multi-exposure to reduce noise can make it feel less responsive.

I just got back from a big vacation and I'm pretty drat happy with some of the pictures I got with my RX100M2, although after overexposing a few I thought "it would be great if this had a viewfinder," this is how the descent into camera gear madness begins, isn't it? My dream RX100M4 would have the viewfinder but a touchscreen instead of it being articulated, touch focus on my camera phone has spoiled me to that. The wifi was really nice because I could send pictures straight to my phone and you can set it to only copy a 2MP version for Facebook/Twitter posting and the like. I'll post a few of my favorites when I'm done working on them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a gorillapod and one serious problem with it is that pressing the shutter button induces vibration that can ruin long exposures so you either need to use the timer or a remote release.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I definitely liked the UI better on the Canons I had before my RX100 but yeah that battery life is pretty miserable. It's exacerbated to me by the fact that Canon still refuses to support USB charging, it was really nice to be able to sit down on a train or at lunch and use my external USB battery to top it up.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

spog posted:

Sony's 'Superior iAuto' is a bit weird, isn't it?

I thought the old 2GB card I was using must be very slow, hence the 'processing' delay. Bought a fancy new, Class10, no change, Only then did I decide to read the manual.

Given that it takes multiple shots and combines them, should 'superior' be reserved for tripod use?

If you're talking about the rx100 that's the auto-ISO noise reduction mode, you can turn it off in the ISO settings. Going to burst mode also turns it off. That said I still have no good idea why there's "intelligent auto" and iA+ as different settings.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you can get something from the S series they're a little bigger but take MUCH better pictures.The SD110 is like $80 more than the 350 on amazon.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I love having the wifi on my MkII since I can get photos onto my phone or iPad and post them online while I'm taking a break, it's nicer than having the nightly photo dump and I don't travel with a laptop.

Wondering if the MkIV is coming soon, the III is just about a year old.

• Locked thread