Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Eldoran posted:

I was just going to ask this question but with a qualifier.

What's the general concencus on waterproof P&S cameras?

I'm looking at either the Canon D10 or the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT2, the canon seems alot bulkier and it dosen't seem to be supported by CHDK so that's an minus aswell.

I have no experience with panasonic cameras so I'm kind of hoping someone here has.

Are there any other models worth considering?
As I understand it, they're generally not as good as their non-water-resistant counterparts. That being said, they're still good enough for some quick vacation shots and hey, a bad underwater picture is still better than no underwater picture.

The D10 is the best waterproof I know of and is supposed to be decent as point-and-shoots go. In general, I've been pretty impressed by Panasonic's electronics, so while I don't know anything about the FT2, I would suspect it's at least decent and would try to test one out locally if I knew of a shop that carried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

mediaphage posted:

I stopped in to see what the thread thought of the RX100; I can't wait to play around with one. I don't think I'll actually buy it, because that's just a poo poo-ton of money, but who knows? It reminds me a lot (and Sony, too, apparently, given the name) of the Sony DSC-R1 I used to have.

It's an attractive proposition in terms of a pocketable point&shoot backup to my K5, but one with whose image quality I wouldn't really be too unhappy with.
It's caught my interest. I don't know that I'll buy it, but I'm giving it some thought. I really want something small and pocketable with good image quality. While the NEX has the potential to be that system, it's not there yet. From the images I've seen online, the RX100 is reasonably sharp, fast on the wide end, and produces good color. It keeps the simple control layout of the NEX with the menu layout of the alpha line, which will work well for me. A few sample shots have been a little soft, but I'm not sure if that's Sony's JPG engine, user error, or if the pixel density is just too high for a sensor of that size. I've seen some great samples as well, which leads me to believe it's user error. Time will tell.

I've got a trip to Disneyland in a couple of weeks where, due to toddler wrangling, I'll be keeping things as simple as possible in terms of camera gear - one mid-sized DSLR body, one walkaround prime. If I find that too restrictive, I'll probably get the RX100.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I was tempted to buy an RX100 before my trip to Disneyland. I decided against it because I figured it couldn't be too hard to keep an eye on a toddler AND photograph her and my wife while at Disneyland.

I was wrong.

I'm ordering an RX100 as soon as I get back (or maybe just before the next family trip).

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 29, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

At least it's out of focus. The depth of field looks reasonably narrow - note that the tail and the right edge of the face are blurred.

I just placed an order for an RX100, should arrive Friday. I feel like I've gone full circle, at least in terms of size and weight - I've gone from a pocketable point-and-shoot, to a full-frame DSLR with grip/flash/24-70 zoom, and now back to a pocketable point-and-shoot.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I got my RX100 on Friday and played around with it for a few days. Fantastic for its size, but it's not the camera for me. I found the power zoom and autofocus can't quite keep up with a toddler running toward me, which would be a regular use situation for me with the camera (vacation photos). Guess I'll finally have to start using a strap with my DSLR.

I really, really hope they start using the RX100's menu system in NEX cameras. It's so much easier to navigate and understand than the NEX menus. It's not as pretty, but it's much more intuitive and actually makes sense.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 7, 2012

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

To be honest, it could just be a question of technique or user error, but I felt like I had a lot fewer keepers than I did with my DSLR. To be fair though, fast motion toward the camera tripped up the NEX-5N I had earlier this year, so it could just be Sony's implementation of CDAF isn't on-par with phase detection. It's a bit of an extreme case though - for normal subjects, in normal situations, the camera is more than adequate. Good color, great contrast, good sharpness once stopped down one step. The camera definitely has promise, it's just not the camera for me.

I have a Blackrapid strap already - the RS Sport, or whatever it's called. It's a nice strap, I've just fallen into this strange habit over the past couple of years of not attaching straps to my cameras. I got an a77 at launch and still haven't taken the OEM strap out of it's packaging.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I'm already starting to regret returning the RX100. I should have just sucked it up and zoomed with my feet. It's really fantastic to have that feature set in something the size of a smartphone with a bulky case.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Ramadu posted:

I'm not sure where I should ask this but this seems as good a place to start.

I work in the real estate business and I need to get a replacement camera because the last one broke. However I need to be able to take 640x480 photos because that is what the banks require us to take. I have no idea where to begin looking for cameras at this resolution because everything seems to be in megapixels as opposed to the resolution like it was when I bought the camera about 7 years ago. If anyone could help me out or point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.
Go out and buy whatever Canon point-and-shoot is in your budget. If the camera has a 640x480 setting - great, you're all set. If not, just do a google search for "image resizing program". There are lots of free ones. Here is one, for example.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Costello Jello posted:

Bob Socko was comparing the autofocus speed to DSLRs and Olympus m4/3 cameras, I believe. I would be surprised if the RX100 didn't autofocus at least as well as an S100.
Nah, I was comparing it to my a77, which I know is unfair. The specific example where I had trouble maintaining focus was when my toddler was running toward me at an already close distance, so it's a bit of a niche case. If she was at a distance or running side-to-side, it was fine. I think I gave up on it too early, though, as a little zooming with my feet would have helped maintain the focal distance. I regret returning my RX-100.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Phiberoptik posted:

I want to get a gift for my girlfriend for christmas. She wants to use it to take pictures for a makeup blog, general family/friend photos, and messing around. Looking to spend about $100-200 preferably. Is there anything good in this range?
Generally speaking, Canon's point and shoot cameras are all pretty good, at least compared to other manufacturers at the same feature/quality level. Go for the nicest Canon you see in that price range.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Took the plunge on the RX100 again :getin: I think between zooming with my feet and improved RAW support, I'll stick with it this time.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I just picked up the Richard Franiec grip for my RX100. It makes the camera go from "oh god I'm gonna drop this" to something that you'd actually feel comfortable using without a lanyard or strap. The grip itself is small, sturdy, and matches well with the camera. It's held in place with what looks like industrial-strength double sided sticky tape, and has locked the grip in place after about five minutes. Definitely worth the $35.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I know, but I'm not crazy about the strap. I don't really use them with my DSLRs either, unless I'm shooting a lengthy event.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

You can still adjust color temperature in JPEGs, but it is nowhere near as robust as your ability to do so in RAW.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

What's a cheap, sturdy point-and-shoot that can survive a toddler? My two year old keeps wanting to take pictures with daddy's camera, which is giving daddy heart attacks. I'm guessing something like a prior-generation Olympus Tough might work?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Yeah, the Goodwill point-and-shoot might be the best idea. I'd hate to spend $100ish on something she might not even use. Better to spend that on toys or something.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Shameless cross-post - if you're looking for an RX100, mine is posted here in the buy-sell thread.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Used ones in good shape go for $450ish on eBay.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

So the RX10. I guess Sony didn't want to compete with x100(s), so they decided to make the nicest possible bridge camera? I'm curious as to if they can pull off good center sharpness at f/2.8 throughout the zoom range. Still though, I'd really have preferred something like an RX100 with a fixed lens, maybe trade the zoom for a larger sensor.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

powderific posted:

What issues have you had with the RX100? Mine's been great but I've also been thinking about a gr as I almost always shoot at the widest zoom setting.
That's the main reason I've considered a GR and was hoping for something else out of the RX10 - I used it at 28mm f/2 a lot.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Poop Faerie posted:

Just got a Sony RX100 Mk 1 for Christmas, very excited. Can anyone point me to some reading? This is the nicest P&S I've had, and I never really got to know how to use my old DSLR.
Check out Gary Friedman's RX-100 book. He's a pro photographer who genuinely enjoys the RX100 and uses it as his everyday carrying around camera. I own three of his books and find them really well written.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Sad Panda posted:

Is an RX100 iii likely to come out any time soon? I'm going to be picking up an RX100, or ii, but I'm not sure if the ii is worth the money. I'd never use the wifi sharing - I don't have a smartphone and I can't see the kind of wifi I get being good at sharing 20 megapixel pics too quickly.
I don't know about soon, but I would expect them to put out a new version sometime in the next year. Sony tends to churn through products more quickly than other manufacturers, preferring that to releasing software updates for existing gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

powderific posted:

Yeah, I think it looks like a great camera. I'm on the mki so it might be time for me to upgrade. I love how they did the evf too. When I read the rumor that it had one I assumed it was bullshit since I couldn't figure where you'd put it. Looks like the sony engineers are smarter than me.
I'm in the exact same boat, never considered a pop-up viewfinder. Assuming the lens is still sharp enough on the wide end at f/2, literally every criticism of the RX100 (except price) has now been addressed. I may not be an early adopter, but I definitely want one.

• Locked thread