Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
RX100 owners (esp. I&II), how is it for portraits? Possible to get a bit of defocus in the background? I see that the RX100 gets down to f1.8, but reviews say this is only at the extreme wide angle end and that speed drops off pretty quick as you go telephoto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

whatever7 posted:

It's a point and shoot.

Yeah I know, I'm not expecting a 50mm prime lens result but I'm just curious to see how far it can be pushed. I'm getting a point and shoot on the basis of the old maxim, the best camera is the one you have with you. Reviews say that the mark 3 keeps lower f-numbers as you zoom, but it's exactly double the price of the mark 1 so...

Got very little from that flickr search, but using the camera finder shows that you can get some reasonable portrait shots:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54965810@N07/7986324825/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/124899107@N07/17152458525/

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012
Also it's half the price of the mk3 (£280 and £570 in the UK).

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Spatule posted:

Get the Canon G7X then:

Much lower aperture at long focal lenghts.

Interesting post/avatar combo. Thanks for the suggestion, that does look very tempting; it's miles better than the mk2 on that chart and the mk1 I was looking at doesn't have wifi. ~£120 more though... might have to put the purchase off a month

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Haggins posted:

As for taking better pictures, that's all in the photographer. The only way to take better pictures is to be a better a photographer.

To pick up on this point, I have a G7x which I enjoy using but basically just shoot on auto, which I'm sure is a waste of its capabilities. I don't really have much idea what I'm doing beyond that, such as manual control, compostion or how to process RAW. Are there any good basic tutorials on the internet (or even books) for just getting into this stuff? Specifically aimed at someone with a fixed-lens camera rather than a DSLR would be ideal, since lens choice doesn't come into my shooting at all (and right now I only have the g7x to work with). I'm particularly interested in landscapes and good nature shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grinnard
Apr 10, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

I'm working up a revamp of a general beginner photog resource type thread but if you have archives you can check this old beginner thread.

This is a decent brief go-to basics explainer for the 'science' of capturing photos.

Composition tips aren't that hard to find by browsing around, but are useful for interesting landscapes/nature shots.

Bryan Peterson's books (esp. Understanding Exposure) are my personal go-to for more detailed exposure and composition stuff.

For tutorials, I plan on linking to at least this guy who's more or less in line with Peterson's approach to explaining things, and isn't the worst writer. His composition tutorial is decent and well-demonstrated with examples. He also has a tutorial on landscape/nature photography, as that seems to be his main passion.

I'm hoping to have something up this week (or next) with more info, stay tuned.

Sadly I do not have archives, but thanks for the links. I'll have a read this evening!

Do you know of a basic RAW processing tutorial as well? I have a camera which is capable of producing them, and a trial of Lightroom, but not really sure what I'm doing with them. I have noticed from shooting raw+jpeg and viewing both without any processing that the camera corrects for a lot of lens distortion automatically in the jpeg.

• Locked thread