Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
In addition to the compact zooms, DPR posted their superzoom review:

http://dpreview.com/reviews/Q110superzoomgroup/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

You answered your own question - getting out past 500mm and tossing in 720p video for under $350.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

qirex posted:

That said I was reading reviews of the EX1 and why are camera reviewers so clueless about what people want to see? 3 pages of daytime city shots and 100% ISO crop comparisons and not a single picture taken indoors in dim lighting.
I don't think all of them are clueless. I think a lot are taking photos that show off the camera in the best light in order to please the manufacturers.

Which is unfortunate, because being "the camera guy" in the family, low light/dim lighting always comes up in questions people ask me when buying cameras.

I'm trying out a friend's Canon SX210, and had it with me around some family members last weekend, and a couple were looking to replace their 3-5 year old cameras. I had to explain a couple of times that I was considering it because it had a big zoom and it probably wasn't going to work as well in the situations they wanted versus a camera with a smaller zoom and lower MP.

The problem is, the SX 210 is so drat small when it's off and does take decent pictures and panoramas, that everybody was impressed. I was going crazy trying to explain that it probably wasn't what they'd want at a birthday party or whatever. We want a new camera for hiking, and a zoom makes sense for us.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

qirex posted:

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings, I'm assuming it's because the bulbs don't work that way but there's pretty much no picture taken in a bar in the last 5 years that isn't completely blown out. The camera knows the people are 4 feet away, why provide the same light as a 15 foot shot?
At least on the SX210, you can adjust the flash power settings - raise or lower it. There's a "Smart Flash Exposure" setting that is supposed to do it automatically, but I haven't messed with it.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I just took this about 10 or 15 minutes ago, handheld with a Canon SX210 and I am pretty proud of it given that I only had a few minutes to familiarize myself with shooting in Tv mode and it is a P&S :science:

Unfortunately it's right on top of us now and the power has blinked 5 times in the last 5 minutes so I'm retiring for the night.

God I wish I had my 30D and a tripod :smith:

tonelok fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 9, 2010

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Canon just announced the S95, SD4500 IS and SX130 IS.

So wait for reviews?

S95 = still 10MP, supposedly better image quality, plus some kind of Hybrid IS. 720p video. $400 this month.

SD4500 IS = 10MP CMOS, Dynamic IS, 1080p video, 10x zoom. $350 in September.

SX130 IS = 12x zoom, 12MP, 720p video, $250 this month.

tonelok fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Haggins posted:

It seems typical of Canon to offer minor updates to their P&S lines just to make sure they push a camera out every year.
My guess is this year they move anything that doesn't have HD video to HD video.

• Locked thread