Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'm torn between a few cameras at the moment. I'm leaving to go on a year long road trip down to south america next month. I'm bringing along my 7D and 3 lenses but a lot of the time I really enjoy the connivence of a P&S for quick snapshots. I enjoy making short films and video diaries and I plan for the 7D to be the main camera but having a second point and shoot capable of recording alternate angles at the same time would be nice.

Ideally I'd like 720p video recording, half way descent lens 2.8 max apature or better in a fairly small format.

Here's the kicker though, we're likely going to be on a sailboat for a couple of weeks at some point and spending time at beaches, riding through rain, etc. I'd really like the point and shoot to be waterproof so that I don't have to bury it inside luggage (I can just keep it in a cargo pocket on me at all times.)

I'm currently looking at the Olympus Stylus Tough 8000, Panasonic DMC-TS2, and the Pentax Optio W90.

The W90 is the cheapest but not as waterproof/shockproof as the other two and lacks image stabilization.

The Panasonic is the current front runner for me but I thought I'd see what other people thought here.

Ideally I'd get something like a SD1400IS or an s90 but the cost of those plus even a cheap housing are pretty high and the housing wouldn't fit in a pants pocket and would take up additional space when the camera wasn't in it.

Also here's an underwater video of the Panasonic that I enjoyed: http://blog.adhack.com/2010/04/21/octopus-steals-panasonic-lumix-dmc-ts2-crowdsourcing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

kmcormick9 posted:

I'm looking for a camera that can shoot underwater to give my GF for her birthday. I am well aware of the D10, but are there any other good underwater P&Ss?

I'm looking at these right now and I'm likely going to pick up the Panasonic DMC-TS2, smaller size and I've liked the sample shots and video I've seen from it.

• Locked thread