Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Brick Card posted:

Really excited about the X10 too, just a bit disappointed it doesn't have a focus prism in the optical view finder. What's the point if you can't manually focus with it.

That doesn't bother me as much as the lack of information in the finder does. It would be nice to have at least aperture and shutter info as well as something to indicate the focus point or to show the center of the frame since we don't really have any other indicator of where exactly the camera is focusing and whether it's focused of what we want or not.

I'm sure if you wanted to manual focus, you could use the screen on the back, but I'm not sure if it can even do manual focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Gravitom posted:

If can, you can see it on the switch on the front.

Sounds like you use the command dial on the back to manual focus, which sounds like kind of a bitch.

I like that it's in all-black. More low key and stealth.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

If the metering is as good as on the X100, you won't miss the info. Shoot in Aperture priority mode, hit the aperture for your usage at the start, and that's really the only thing you'd ever need to worry about changing other than the AF button which has a focus confirm light you can see from the corner of your eye.

It's not so much for metering as it is for knowing what I'm going to get. The problem with cameras with IS is that you'll want to take a photo in low light, but the camera will automatically select a shutter speed like 1/15 or something because it'll work great if the subject is static because of the IS, but when the subject is moving around, it'll be blurry. Cameras without IS usually don't have as bad a problem because they know they have to have at least a certain shutter speed to get a clear photo. I have the same problem with AF film point and shoots unless they're awesome like the Ricoh GR1 series.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

krackmonkey posted:

Nice comparison shots between the S95 and the X10 here:
http://www.jpstevenson.co.uk/s95_vs_x10/

The X10 looks pretty tasty, bokeh is very nice.

The X10 seems to be better at balancing highlights and shadows. It seems to favour the shadows more than the S95 so you see more blown-out skies as opposed to lost shadows, which is fine by me because I get a lot of problems with shadow detail on overcast days if I don't tweak the exposure compensation.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bongodrums posted:

Picked up an X10 yesterday. Anything you guys want to see/test?

AF in low light, ISO 3200 and 6400.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

poopinmymouth posted:

The X10 seems to fix all of those problems. The medium details are contrast, there is more bokeh (though I hate how they always focus on things super close, how about some head shots?

That's about the only way you're going to get any half-decent amount of bokeh on a small sensor. And yes it does happen in real-world situations like taking photos of flowers or whatever.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Or just crop it out if there's room. That's probably the fastest of all. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Irfanview could do a batch crop.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Thinking about it further, batch crop everything, then go through the photos. You may not even miss those two edges of the photo. If you see a photo and wish there was a little more, you can get the original and clone out the date stamp.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got some no-name batteries for my 40D and they don't last as long as the real deal, but for the price difference, I don't care. It's not like batteries are the hugest things in the world, space-wise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DJExile posted:

DPreview.com is fantastic.

The problem with DPReview is that their P&S reviews are few and far between and with the way the P&S market moves so fast, they're largely a model or two behind. They're really been slipping on the review front in general lately. The reviews are good, but slow in arriving. They still have the Leica M9 listed under "preview".

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

NZAmoeba posted:

And yeah looking through DPReview I could tell that they had very in depth reviews, but took a long rear end time to take a look at the ones that aren't serious enthusiast cameras, which is why I was hoping for an alternate. Just an opinion on which should be the best one of this coming generation is what I'm looking for.

The Canon S100, Olympus XZ-1 and Fuji X10 are the cream of the crop for P&S cameras. The Panasonic LX5 is good too, but getting long in the tooth. None of them are travel zooms as such, but do provide a decent zoom range with much better low light capability than your classic travel zoom.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Coritani posted:

Augh. Turns out I was looking at the Australian website of the retailer, so instead of being ~250$, the SX220 is in fact $400 in New Zealand. So I may have to settle for an IXUS220 os SX130IS instead. How much of a downgrade is this? The IXUS220 is tiny, but I'd rather have a camera that shoots good pictures.

Man, that's bullshit. Can't you get someone in Australia to mail one to you?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

Also, your item will mysteriously become "out of stock" if you don't also order every single accessory.

Holy poo poo, I've had better service eBaying stuff from China.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want something a little more advanced and don't mind sacrificing size, take a look at the Olympus Pen E-PM1. They're around the $400 mark and designed as a step up for P&S users.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Looks like Olympus' new tough camera has an f/2-4.9 lens in it. That's got to be the first time a rugged camera actually has a decent lens in it.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/05/01/olympus-goes-nuts-possibly-promoting-its-new-uber-durable-camera

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Insane Totoro posted:

Thanks, now talk me into that $200 Ruger 10/22 with the M1 carbine stock already installed.

It's cheap on ammo.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Where are you going for your honeymoon? I found that in Europe, out of all my lenses, I used my telephoto the least, maybe once or twice. Being able to zoom in a ton is nice, but generally the compromise involved isn't worth it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I use this:

http://optechusa.com/straps/slr-wrist-strap.html

It's great because the buckle is the same kind as the sling strap I have so if I want a sling strap, all I have to do is unclick the wrist strap and clip on the sling. Mind you, it has been ages since I've used the sling as I'm finding the wrist strap more convenient for most uses. The downside of it is that it gets kind of sweaty underneath the strap after a while.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Someone should make a 1/1.7" sensor camera with a huge f/0.5 lens.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

choobs posted:

I'm looking for something in the $200 range. Our 7 year old Canon A540 is not cutting the mustard any more. The biggest thing I'm looking for is quick response time when you hit the shutter button (little kids...).

What would you fine folks recommend?

Sedatives for the kids.

Really though, just get another Canon P&S closest to your price point. 7 years is like a century in digital camera development terms. My dad went from some ancient Olympus point and shoot to a Canon S110 and he is totally blown away by it and can't believe he didn't think of upgrading sooner. Granted, the S110 is quite a ways out of your price range, but even the lower end cameras today are miles away better. Another thing would be to work on your technique like pre-focusing before taking the shot which will speed up things considerably when you do hit that decisive moment.

Just don't get sucked in by things like massive zoom ratios. Yeah, it's great you've got a 40x zoom lens, but if it's blurry and slow, it won't do you any good. Look for a lens with a minimum aperture of f/2.8 or lower.

HPL fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 4, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Javid posted:

I'm looking for a basic point-and-shoot for my mother, who is the worst photographer known to man. Ideally it would have one big TAKE PIXOR button and no settings readily available for her to break. The camera version of this thing, really:

I can throw maybe $300 at this.

Canon Powershot N:
http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/products?m=gp&pid=20575

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
A used Canon Rebel T2i would go a long way for you. Not a point and shoot, but you can run it on auto mode so it functions like one.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh, the pound to dollar exchange rate isn't as wacked out as it used to be. In that case, something like a Rebel XTi should be in the price range if you're looking for best image quality for the price since you'll be getting an APS-C sensor as opposed to a tiny P&S sensor. That S100 should be good too if you're looking for something more pocketable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What kind of a phone do you have now? Modern smartphones have capabilities that pretty much match low-end basic P&S cameras anyway.

• Locked thread