Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Nah, Leica M9 is the best point and shoot. There might be a few more steps involved than just pointing the camera and shoot though.

Yeah, P&S probably would require autofocus. That new Fuji X100 might qualify though, or if we're not limiting ourselves to digital cameras, maybe the Fuji GA645?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

My sister just got a G12, and I played around with it for a bit the other day. The optical viewfinder seemed pretty small and not very useful to me, so definitely try it out first. The camera's controls were really nice though, better than most entry level DSLRs IMO. Even has an ISO dial!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

This too:

http://www.cameraleather.com/canon_digital/S90/

I have this on my M5, looks and feels nice.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Does it seem to happen a lot when there's snow around?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Epi Lepi posted:

My current camera has a 5x optical zoom and the S90/95 has a 3.8x optical zoom. I don't really want to downgrade in that respect. Festivals are all day affairs, so there will be plenty of sun for a lot of the day but I'll still need distance. To be fair, I have no idea how noticeable the difference will be, but I'm still concerned.
FWIW, bigger zoom ratios don't necessarily mean more reach. For example, a camera that has "4x zoom" might have a (35mm equivalent) focal length range of 35-140mm, while a camera that says 5x zoom might be 24-120, and actually give you less reach. This example is a bit of an unusual situation, but it's worth noting. Most P&S cameras will have a 35mm equivalent focal length listed in its specs, so you'll want to look at that to be sure.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Also, what did you use to convert the DNG? Despite the fact that it's supposed to be a universal RAW format, its actually not all that well supported by non-Adobe products.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Haggins posted:

I don't know what the low end Nikons are but you could find a body for $400-$900 and pick up a 35 1.8 for $200. Same goes for Sony. Or you could get Rebel XS for under $400 and a Sigma 30 1.4 for $500. You'd save a ton of money, have a camera that can do a lot more, and have a AF system that works.
Those lenses are ~50mm equivalents. It's much more difficult to find a fast 24mm.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

Thanks, I was wondering if I was overlooking something or if it is just a noisy camera. Noisy it is!

Post an example with full EXIF, it should be pretty obvious if a setting is off.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

nemoulette posted:

Leica D-Lux?
It's a Panasonic LX5 with a red dot

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

To be fair, the Leica does include a copy of Lightroom and a better warranty. But that's still one hell of an expensive warranty.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Gravitom posted:

• You can see the drat lens in the viewfinder at focal lengths under 50mm. It feels like I'm driving a tank.
For a true rangefinder experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Dominoes posted:

There seem to be a lot of shady electronics sellers from NY that have low prices. The market was similar when buying a TV a year ago. Wild rear end guess: It's not a scam, but the company is shady and has awful/rude customer support.
Also, your item will mysteriously become "out of stock" if you don't also order every single accessory.

• Locked thread