Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The problem with the LX3/G11/etc is that if it doesn't fit in a pocket, it's going to need a
bag, and at that point an entry-level dSLR will offer order-of-magnitude better IQ at a very small weight/financial cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The big problem with a bridge camera is simply the size. They make true compacts these days with a great zoom range, she should look into those. Unless she's got an event coming up she'd need the camera for, there's no reason to get whatever's in stock instead of what's appropriate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

What's the budget? :)
Also what's the biggest size you're prepared to deal with?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LX3, G11, that new Samsung.

If you can do a little more, probably an M4/3 with the 20mm f/1.7, and a NEX whenever Sony puts out a prime that makes sense.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but a D3s review focused on low light can be summed up by "everything else is worse" so eh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

qirex posted:

One thing I've always wondered is why cameras don't have weaker flash settings
Eh, they do? The $100 jobs might not, but I'm pretty sure most P&S with manual settings have flash power adjustments.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That's weird. I don't own a P&S any more, but on my LX3 dialling a bit a negative flash comp (and sometimes pushing ISO a stop or so) worked wonders.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

maverick99 posted:

My Canon SD1400IS I just bought has an auto flash feature. It lowers the intensity the closer the object is to the camera. I think it works pretty well myself.
Don't all P&S do that? Or do they modulate flash exposure through the aperture setting?
The real problem is that P&S are just bad at balancing flash and ambient.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tetrad posted:

Then again, my current S90 has a dead pixel on the sensor, so I'm tempted to get this when it comes out regardless.
Don't forget the upgrade program when you get your s95.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ScreaminKing posted:

EDIT: it's when you need repairs.
I mentioned it because of the dead pixel :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, a 24-28 difference is more significant than 90-105. The LX5 lens is a wee bit faster too, but you should check out the sensor comparisons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I meant compare the actual performance when they get tested :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

So get it? To real advantage of the s95 is the size.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd think long and hard about the NEX/SLR thing. You'd have to go to full frame to get much better IQ. It's just that the lens options are limited now 8(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Septimus posted:

The DMC-LX5 appears to be technically superior to the S95 BUT it is physically thicker. Is the only thing going for the S95 its size?
The LX-5 is comparable to a G camera, not really an S95. I sold my LX-3 for the same reason geeves wants to get rid of his G10: once you have a DSLR, you either want quality (take it along) or something that you can just whip out and snap with. The LX'es aren't really pocketable, neither are the G cameras.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

krushgroove posted:

My only tip can be to carry some rice around with you.
hahaha

krushgroove posted:

Scratches on the lens and missing screws? I hope you're getting a good deal.
Yeah this would point to a camera that's been mistreated/dropped.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

manpants posted:

I was very happy to get my (not stolen) 70-200mm 2.8L IS for £400.
I hate you so much.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It might hold a comparatively better resale, but the price difference might just be the same.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you shoot jpeg you kinda need to get it right. If you shoot raw just give no fucks and fix them in a batch.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be curious to know why.

On the raw issue: I just convert all my poo poo to DNG. 10 years from now I don't know there'll be good software to read my NEF files, but DNG will most likely be fine.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beastruction posted:

Mijonju is pretty fond of those.
Great now I want to sock that dude in the face.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's little more to the technical side than the exposure triangle.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beastruction posted:

I think the NEX is available in a kit with a 16mm pancake, and is a bit smaller than the E-PL1.
The 16mm is kinda bad, but they're making a zeiss 24/1.7 :0

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I don't find it bad IQ-wise, but it's pretty limiting if it's your only lens.

http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/542-sony16f28nex?start=2

And yeah, a 24/2.8 as your only prime on launch? WTF were they smoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Socko posted:

I have a Blackrapid strap already - the RS Sport, or whatever it's called. It's a nice strap, I've just fallen into this strange habit over the past couple of years of not attaching straps to my cameras. I got an a77 at launch and still haven't taken the OEM strap out of it's packaging.
Same on my D800. I should really get at least a wrist strap, that sumbitch is heavy.

• Locked thread