Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

While I'm quite happy with my OMD, I waned something even more compact and I got a great deal on the RX100 so I grabbed it. Have to say, it's pretty good.

Dishes & Sink by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Imodium AD posted:

I'm looking at the Canon S110 for its on-board HDR. After form-factor (must fit in my pocket) the most important aspect to me is low-light pictures without a flash. Should I be looking at something else for the money?

DPReview has a decent search function but I'm interested in your opinions.

If you have the budget, the Sony RX100 II has really good low-light performance.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Chernori posted:

Out of curiosity, will an RX100 have a more depth of field than a DSLR at the same f-stop? So, if I'm on f2 on an RX100, it would be more like f8 on a DSLR?

I think it's somewhere around f/5.6-6.3, give or take.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

DJExile posted:

This is exactly right. A P&S with a constant aperture across its zoom range wouldn't be feasible in any way. The glass would either be enormous or terrible.

There's also the RX10 which is f/2.8 all the way from 24mm to 200mm but like you said, it's pretty huge glass for a P&S/bridge camera.

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Mar 17, 2014

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Huskalator posted:

So, I bought a Sony DSC RX-100 and I'm kinda disappointed it doesn't take better pictures than my buddy's camera phone and its way more of a pain in the rear to use.

Is it worth investing some time into really learning how to use this better or did I make a bad purchase?

In terms of technical difference, you get the ability to zoom and to edit RAW files, which really helps as compared to a phone camera. So it does boil down to how you're using it. It also explains to you why compact camera sales are diving off a cliff.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Geektox posted:

The RX-100M3 is probably the first point and shoot I've used that I'd consider using for serious(ly bad) work.

The Panasonic LX100 looks to be a good contender to that.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rawrr posted:

The GR is probably next on my list to try. Last year I travelled with an LX100 and it still felt too big, so this year I sized down to an RX100m3. Haven't travelled with it yet, but not really a fan of the shooting experience at the moment.

Does anybody have any experience with both the RX100 (and/or the LX100) vs the GR?

As a travel camera, I quite liked the size and zoom of the RX100, makes it really versatile, plus the raws are pretty good. The GR is a great camera too so I think it really boils down to whether you like the fixed lens vs a zoom. There are some really nice RX100 photos just recently posted up in the Landscape thread too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Hey all. My current point and shoot is a Canon AS4000 IS. I'm looking for an upgrade as I've been traveling to some great places lately and I feel it under performs. What would my next step be? I'm a total newbie and used mostly used the auto functions. I wouldn't mind learning the ins and outs of a newer camera though.

Just get whichever one of the four RX100 models that fits your budget.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rawrr posted:

I too find the control ring's unresponsiveness annoying, and the fact that you can't switch what it controls - I would've preferred to be able to adjust exposure compensation from the rear dial, and have the control ring control the aperture or shutter speed.

Specifically to the M3 (and M4, I guess), I also find the implementation of the viewfinder a bit stupid, how there's no setting to prevent it from turning off the camera when you stow it, and in practice it just seems like such a hassle to have a two step, pop up pull out procedure to use it.

I don't know about the M3 but in the M4, you can map aperture or shutter speed to the control ring, and I just press down on the back ring to access exposure compensation so that's pretty easy. On the M4 there's also a setting to disable the viewfinder from shutting off the RX100 when you stow it away too.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

I've made a move to a city for a new job, and I've since wanted to get more into street photography, but without having to carry my Sony FE kit around everywhere. Pretty much what I'm looking for is light, ergonomic, and quick. Is the Ricoh GR a good fit for me? What else should I consider? No real budget here, sky's the limit.

Either that or the Fuji X70.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

powderific posted:

I really wish someone would come out with a GR competitor that has better autofocus and a faster lens. I'd been hoping that the GR II would be that camera, but alas... The X70 doesn't look like it's worth a switch, but I'd definitely try both if I was coming into it new.

A friend using both prefers the X70 but in the end YMMV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

MadlabsRobot posted:

So, any suggestions for a compact with lots of zoom and better lowlight ability then something similar from six years ago?

Consider the Sony RX10.

• Locked thread