Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
There's something wrong when the special effects that are thrown in for free on a P&S are more imaginative than the ones included in the hugely expensive Photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Well this is a huge bummer, I'm by no means a good photographer but having the s100 be limited to iso80 for any time above 1 second loving sucks. Why did they do this? Everything else is great... Time to return it.. I love messing around camping and this was a big letdown. Any recommendations for something in the similar price range that can do this?

I am curious why you need this functionality?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Krakkles posted:

I'd find it pretty restricting to only be able to use the weakest available ISO setting while shooting long exposures. Shooting on a dark night?

I'm curious what subject there is that is okay for 2s exposure, but cannot allow you to use 8s

the posted:

Maybe someone can go over sensor sizes with me again, but I'm confused at what he's bragging about here. According to BHphotovideo.com, the sensor size is 13.2 x 8.8mm, but a Sigma DP2x, for roughly the same price, is 20.7 x 13.8mm. That's tremendously better, isn't it? Why all the fuss about this camera then?

Apart from the afore-mentioned hype, the Sigma really dropped the ball with the software and the performance was crap (both slow to take images and poor final quality)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmadp2/23

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Windows has a very simple wizard for importing photos.

You connect the camera via USB, let the wizard run and it imports the photos to an appropriate location and even renames.

I'd do it that way - once you've run it once, it's pretty easy for them to do it again.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Thank you, everyone. I got her one of the lower-end Canon PowerShot models, which will be just perfect for her needs, plus a 16-gig SD card and a case, and I even set up the camera before mailing it to her this morning. That's probably what I would have gone with anyway, but I appreciate the extra information!

I'd talk them through downloading the photos in Windows. Once you've done it, you can (I think) save it as the default action when the camera is connected.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

rcman50166 posted:

My girlfriend has the S95 and I found the ring really awkward as someone who only has DSLRs. If I really want to mess with myself I set it to control something like shutter speed. The haptics don't quite match the way the software responds either. The clicks don't quite feel right and the camera lags behind the controls. I guess I'm just used to mechanical controls like a zoom and focus ring of a DSLR. Instant and smooth. But the S90/95/100 is a fantastic point and shoot if you treat it like a point and shoot and not a DSLR like the fellas over at Canon seemed to aim for when installing that ring feature.

That delay also irritates the crap out of me.

Especially as, in some cases, turning the ring does nothing: You take a photo, review it and think you can go wider and so turn the ring a couple of clicks. Simple and just way a pro would like it to be? Well no, because the preview was still on the screen and so the camera ignored the turns of the ring.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

I don't think any older model is "better" (though some people hate specific new features like touch-screen controls...), but often the issue is that the incremental upgrade isn't really worth it for most people over the substantially higher price. So 110 is "best", but 90/95 is probably good enough for you (if you're not going to be an intensive user of it).

IIRC the 95 has HD video and the 90 does not, so that is a significant upgrade if you are a video user.

but otherwise, I'd agree with Teethgrinder - you might as well get the one that you can afford and not worry you are getting lesser

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I am interested in becoming a better photographer, as a hobby. I have an older Canon A570 IS in my possession to work with. It doesn't natively support RAW images but it looks like I can use CHDK to make it support RAW. Does anyone have any experience using CHDK or input as far as that goes? I have PS so I'll be learning a little bit of both as I go.

I used it on my DSLR (400D).

It is a relatively simple process. You have to follow the instructions carefully but it's pretty quick. You first set the camera to make it use firmware from a card. Then you configure a card to make it bootable. After that - all you do is load a copy of the firmware onto the card and the camera will use it. Don;t like it? Format the card and all is gone.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Samsung cameras? I've been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S 16.3MP 21x Optical Zoom & can't decide if it's just a great gimmick for people such as myself who are going to use it to travel [Cuba] and for concert photography. I also have been wondering WHEN the new models get released because the way this has been out of stock where I live makes me suspect that I'm at the end of a product cycle.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...c/10248840.aspx

side note - I have a Luminx I'm happy with, I think its just the huge picture screen which first caught my eye.

I played with their first gen one and it seems very nice to handle - but the reviews showed pretty poor image quality.

A few months ago, someone gave me a dump of their latest gen smartphone-looking Samsung and they were all pretty underwhelming. That could be user error, though - but the law of averages say that there shoudl have been a least a few good ones.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Do you have 'digital zoom' turned on?

If so, turn it off - it's just cropping the picture to make it seem bigger than it is, at the cost of dreadful quality.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

I dropped my fcuking S90 and bent the metal surround of the front element. Not much - just enough to prevent the lens from retracting fully and therefore breaking the entire camera.

FML

Something tells me that a repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Maybe I'll try tapping it with a bit of wood.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

grack posted:

If you've managed to drop the camera on the lens, there's a good chance that more than just the front element is bent.

I mean, go nuts but it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be able to fix it.

I haven't done a focus chart test yet, but all does seem to be okay. it's just the bezel is bent juust enough (at a join) to catch and prevent closure. I could probably take it down with a nailfile and it will work.

The galling part is that to get it fixed properly would probably require a complete rebuild with a new lense, motor and sensor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

spog posted:

I dropped my fcuking S90 and bent the metal surround of the front element. Not much - just enough to prevent the lens from retracting fully and therefore breaking the entire camera.

Something tells me that a repair will cost more than the camera is worth. Maybe I'll try tapping it with a bit of wood.

grack posted:

If you've managed to drop the camera on the lens, there's a good chance that more than just the front element is bent.

I mean, go nuts but it's pretty unlikely you'll actually be able to fix it.

I am extremely happy that you were wrong.

I took it to a Canon repair centre - they replaced the 'name plate' (front lens surround). Cost?

£12.

10 mins to do

I am a lucky bastard.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sort of related: any recommendations for a decent neck strap for a P&S?

DSLR ones are too bulky, but the 'compact camera' ones on ebay seem to have crappy rings/connectors and I want something that won't break.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

Canon will stick the 1" sensor in a G series body where the only innovations will be the availability of models in black, white and fuscia.

Canon would never do anything as exciting as use fuscia.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Sony's 'Superior iAuto' is a bit weird, isn't it?

I thought the old 2GB card I was using must be very slow, hence the 'processing' delay. Bought a fancy new, Class10, no change, Only then did I decide to read the manual.

Given that it takes multiple shots and combines them, should 'superior' be reserved for tripod use?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

qirex posted:

If you're talking about the rx100 that's the auto-ISO noise reduction mode, you can turn it off in the ISO settings. Going to burst mode also turns it off. That said I still have no good idea why there's "intelligent auto" and iA+ as different settings.

In the auto modes, you can't change those settings, but it's helpful to know where else it appears in other modes, so thanks.

Seems iA+ enable multiple frames, iA doesn't

Radbot posted:

My Sony HX9V performs fine when using Superior Auto handheld - it won't always go into HDR mode, but you'll know when it does due to the lengthy "Processing..." message. It can be pretty cool for landscapes, but people tend to look awful as I'm sure you've found.

Use "green" auto to prevent HDR mode.

Ta. I wasn't sure if did it all time. Decided to RTFM

What is the difference between [Superior Auto] mode and [Intelligent Auto] mode?

In [Superior Auto] mode, the camera shoots burst images based on the recognized scene, then creates a composite of the burst images (Overlay shooting).
The camera automatically corrects the backlight and reduces the noise by overlaying images, so a higher-quality image results than in [Intelligent Auto] mode.

: Scene Recognition
Night Scene
Night Portrait
Backlight
Backlight Portrait
Landscape
Macro
Portrait
Baby
Spotlight
Low Brightness
Tripod
Move
: Overlaying

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Bugger.

RX100 Mk1 that I got for an ex-display steal of £90, when the usual price is £250

I am sure if I take it back, they'll give me a refund. The question is will the £160 saving compensate for a crappy screen?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

whatever7 posted:

ypu don't need a screen to take good pictures anyway.

Many people say that my photos look I took them without looking at the camera, so I guess you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

DarkSun6890 posted:

What would you recommend for someone who wants to get into food blogging (stills and video) but doesn't want to dive into a full on DSLR setup? I've been reading good things about the RX100 V in general, but not seeing much about macro or food.

See the thee posts above yours for words of wisdom

• Locked thread