Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

webmeister posted:

I'm considering buying a new P&S to take hiking and on a trip to Africa next year; I was thinking about getting a Canon G11 (or G12) since a friend had a G7 and really loved it. But I've noticed that most people here recommend the S series PowerShots, rather than the G-series, is there any particular reason for this?

Is there any reason I should buy a G11 rather than an S95? I'm mostly new to photography, though I could see myself learning more. As mentioned, I'll be taking the camera hiking and on safari/up Mount Kilimanjaro so weight and battery life are pretty important concerns.

I have a G10, and as awesome as it is, I'm thinking of selling it to get the S95. It's a very well-built and nice camera and takes great photos. However, it's that middle of the road bulk that doesn't fit in your pocket and can't hang easily off of your wrist. With the G10, you basically need an R7-strap for it to carry comfortably. The only advantage you might get with the G1x is that you have a better? lens - can anyone else weigh in on that?

I also have the SD750 - which is awesome for me as a party / pocket camera. And since I recently bought a T2i, my G10 has seen no action. Hence why I want to sell it. The 750 I'll keep as a backup though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread