Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

HPL posted:

Check out the Samsung EX1. It has the best lens among point and shoots to date. It's not a superzoom, but it should be serviceable with a rough equivalent of a 17-50 on your XTi. It's funny to say it, but it's actually a faster lens than anything zoom you can get for a regular DSLR because like I said, it's roughly equivalent to 17-50 on an APS-C sensor, but it's f/1.8-2.4 which would be fast prime territory on APS-C or full frame.

That's the one with dedicated shutter speed and aperture wheels right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
I think regular people like blown highlights.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Mijonju is pretty fond of those.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

john ashpool posted:

So, I think I want something that's portable but has a huge sensor. I know the cannon s90 is great, but I'm strongly considering the Olympus PEN E-PL1. For less then the cost of a Cannon s90, I can get a sensor that's over 5 times larger. Camera would be bigger, but not stupid huge like a DLSR. And I could always get the pancake lens later on.

HMMMM. Apparently the pancake lens costs more then the camera itself. WTF.

Check out the Mirrorless thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410935

I think the NEX is available in a kit with a 16mm pancake, and is a bit smaller than the E-PL1.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

I just want to check, is there any non-obvious reason to absolutely stay away from it - e.g. this series' sensor is a piece of crap that hides behinds the inflated 12MP resolution, a max of 1600 ISO will be crippling, stuff like that?

I have a pretty old P&S so this might not be true for a newer one, but mine takes forever to save a RAW. Literally multiple seconds where the camera is completely unresponsive, screen black, only this obnoxious blue LED (I think it's the "print" button) to indicate that it's writing. Not really a big deal most of the time, since you can still shoot JPEG or even totally de-activate CHDK pretty easily I think, but something to be aware of.

Also, the CHDK interface is very open source. A lot of options, not the best-looking or organized menus. Again not a huge deal once you figure out how to do what you want to do, it just might take a bit more trial and error or reading online help pages to get there. And the flip side is it's very customizable, with a ton of stuff you can display on the screen while shooting. It does mean you have to navigate a menu to change settings though (shutter speed, aperture, etc), so it won't ever be as quick to operate as an S95.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Is that threading for a screw-in cable release? Awesome.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
More zooms and apertures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Still more primes than DX.

• Locked thread