Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Aatrek posted:

Is the Canon software the only way to work with the S95's RAW files? I can't get 'em to open in Photoshop CS4.

You should be able to use Adobe's free DNG converter and then open the DNG files in CS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

I am shopping for a cheap, small, most likely used P&S to take with me on random outings and errands that fits the following (as best as possible):

Necessities:
  • Equivalent to 35mm or wider on a full frame camera at widest zoom angle
  • Small enough to fit into a coat pocket / shirt pocket
  • Can be no more then $100 including everything needed to actually use the thing (Tax, Shipping, Batteries, Charger, SD Card...)
  • A shooting mode where, no matter what the camera thinks, it will take a picture every time I hit the shutter
  • Files can make a respectable 6" print with a moderate amount of post work
  • Manual control over exposure of some sort (I suppose scene modes with exposure compensation could satisfy this depending on the implementation)

Preferences:
  • Will fit into a pants pocket
  • Reasonably durable
  • Aperture priority with exposure compensation
  • A Histogram
  • RAW mode
  • Lens is faster then 2.8 at some point in the zoom range
  • Files can make a respectable 10" print with a moderate amount of post work

I have been reading reviews of older Canon SD and A series cameras as CHDK seems like it may help me to meet more of the above criteria and the SD630 / SD700IS look pretty reasonable. I am by no means restricted to a canon though. Does anyone have any suggestions or perhaps remember what P&S people were drooling over 4-6 years ago?

edit - fixed the bullets

jsmith114 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 4, 2011

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Perhaps I should have written 'Would be great if it had' instead of 'Preferences'.

Vomit - The A570 looks like it will fit my needs as well as can be expected. How well did CHDK work for you?

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

HPL posted:

EDIT: Oh wait, you wanted FASTER than f/2.8? Haha.

I don't expect to find something that has everything I listed - the preferences section is just stuff that would be nice. Since my now broken Canon G1 opened up to 2.0 I figured there might be something with a lens faster then 2.8

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

One of the problems with DNG files that CHDK makes is that even though lightroom or photoshop can read the dng it doesn't have a color profile associated with the camera. It also isn't going to have a lens profile to fix things like distortion and CA that the camera may do when making the JPG. I use CHDK on an SD1100 and really like it when I am shooting at a high ISO because lightroom / noise ninja can do a much better job of removing noise then the camera. The downside is that I have had to make some presets for shooting under tungsten light. Under sunlight, lightroom does a pretty good job of getting reasonable colors from the DNG file however under tungsten it has problems. If you have a color checker chart you can make a profile for lightroom, otherwise you will have to do what I did and make a 'kida-sorta-pretty close sometimes profile' by eye.

In short, a better raw converter may solve a lot of your problems but may not solve all of them.

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Adobe has a free tool to make lens profiles that you can get here. It isn't too tricky to use but does take a bit of a time investment. I haven't made a profile for my SD1100, only a couple of primes - zoom lenses look like a bit of a pain. I usually just use the profile for the s90 if the distortion is bothering me and it gets me in the ballpark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsmith114
Mar 31, 2005

Well, a refurbished S90 is $279. It is not $200 but fits under your hard cap of $300. It is also not new and isn't at B&H.

• Locked thread