Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine just asked me to help him buy a new camera. He is completely technologically inept and has no grasp on what he needs or what these thing cost so I don't want to tell him to just go to the store and ask them to help him, because that will probably not end well as he is also quite well off moneywise. He currently have some sort of canon ixus or sony cybershot compact that he bought six ears ago and it's starting to fail now so something new is needed.

So these are his needs as far as I can tell:

A compact.
No need for any ability to fiddle with manual settings or shoot raw.
Lots of optical zoom, preferably something like up to 200 mm or more (in full format equivalent)
Not absolutely awful in low light

He likes to go to rock concerts and zoom as crazy to take photos from his seat and I guess it's better if he can do that with optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom... I know this will produce really crappy results with any camera with such a small sensor but I hope to get him something that will do better then what he has now (I sometimes go to concerts with him and get "better" results using my mju zoom 140 and portra 400, even though I end up cropping like crazy).

So, any suggestions for a compact with lots of zoom and better lowlight ability then something similar from six years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm aware that it will never be good under those circumstances. He's not a stupid guy, quite the opposite actually. However, he is raised to believe that he is dumb and unable to learn "complicated stuff" so he won't even try to understand how it works (he's in his fifties now so that is unlikely to change...). If I lived in the same town I could teach him over time but as it is we only see each other twice a year, and none of his friends back home is interested in photography.

Thanks for the guide and the suggestion, we'll have look and try to find him something as good as possible.

• Locked thread