Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

RX10, or RX10mk2 when it becomes available soon.

I don't get why the compact camera market is still full of models with 2/3 inch sensors, when they don't produce image quality that is any better in practice than a good smartphone camera. On the other hand, I don't know of a lot of compact, large(r)-sensor camera models that come with big zooms. But I've often come very close to picking up the RX10 before, for pretty much the same purposes (nature & wildlife).

EDIT: Oh wow, I didn't realize the FZ1000 had a 1" sensor. Checking out a test image comparison, it looks like it holds its own pretty well against the RX10, and for a few hundred dollars less.

I'll also add that I really like my Fuji X20, but it only goes to 112mm equivalent focal length, so it might not have the zoom capabilities you're looking for if you want to photograph distant wildlife.

The Olympus Stylus 1s seems like a decent option, too. And it's even cheaper than the FZ1000. You'd just have to live with only 300mm focal length (which is fine for wildlife, but still nowhere close to the FZ1000) and a slightly smaller 1/1.7" sensor. But it would still be better than most compact cameras in terms of image quality.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wow, I was looking at compact cameras, and they're more expensive than I thought, even for the older stuff.

Then below a certain point (older camera phone size sensors), the price goes down considerably. But it kind of seems all the same by then.

I don't know much about the really small compact sensor cameras, but I can say that if you're looking at spending about $250 then you should strongly consider going for an original RX100. Might as well get something compact but with a 1" sensor if you're into that price range anyway for the s110.

Edit: that's it, I remembered the 'cheap' Fuji compact that has a 2/3rd" x-trans sensor: the XQ1. They're available used for under $250 and while it wouldn't match the sheer image quality of the rx100, it's less expensive and more compact. It was the initial suggestion that popped into my head, but at first I had it confused with the XF1, which is a little pricier.

I have an X20, which has pretty much the same sensor, and I find that it produces very nice images for a sub-1" sensor compact.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 20, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Maybe it's just me but I've found all the photos coming from LX100s that I see on flickr to look weirdly lacking in detail compared to any other modern m43 cameras. And not in a 'slightly fewer MP' way. More like what I would expect from a compact sensor camera.

Also, are the Canon 1" sensor cameras a generally worse deal than the RX series? They're definitely cheaper, and from what I understand have Sony sensors anyway.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Olympus xa2. Go film when you want good IQ + super cheap + not a big deal if it gets destroyed / stolen. I take an old Minolta SLR when rock climbing or fishing because its tough, cheap, and 35mm film is still well ahead of 2/3rd inch cmos sensors in resolution and color.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Skizzzer posted:

Anything to look out for when buying? Looking on ebay (http://www.ebay.ca/sch/ctg/Olympus-XA2-35mm-Film-Camera-/82838736/) there's a big range in price. Never shot film before.

Just fyi the XA is pricier than the xa2 because the former has a coupled rangefinder and the latter just a tunnel viewfinder, so on the xa2 there's no way to confirm focus - you just have a dial for one person, two person, or mountain, and those are the only three subjects you're allowed to take pictures of that's fine because the lens is very sharp and you can just guess how far away things are and generally they come out with good focus.

The most common issue with these cameras relates to the shutter button. It's practically on a hair trigger, which is great for cutting down on camera shake at low shutter speeds and keeps the camera very quiet, but the trigger can wear out and become fiddly, requiring more effort to depress. I don't know how you'd check for it on eBay (the one I bought for $70 from ebay had a shutter that worked fine at first but eventually started to give more resistance) but if you get a good one be sure to take care when depressing the shutter; too much pressure will wear out the mechanism.

I don't have any experience with the og XA, but it seems pretty much the same, only better if you like rangefinders. Watch out! The xa1 is not the same as the XA, and is basically a cheaper xa2. There's an xa3, which I think has a wider lens, but it's pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Are any of the 'me too' 1" sensor compacts from Canon (powershot G-whatever X-something) or Panasonic (ZSnumber or FZnumber) a good value compared to an RX100III/IV? Seems like you might be able to save a few $$$ by getting one of those. The image quality is probably fairly close to an RX, but I don't know anything else about their AF performance or ergonomics. They also don't have BSI sensors like the latest RX's, but I'm not really sure what 'backside illumination' does for you. Seems like it might elicit unwanted attention. Although I guess it would make jogging at night safer.

• Locked thread