Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mes
Apr 28, 2006

Janin posted:

Maybe I'm being dumb here? I know very little about cameras, aside from reading this thread's OP + some introductory "buying camera for idiots" articles. But the idea of paying a $100 premium for lower-quality photos seems like a bad idea.

Well I don't know the details of the S100 apparently having 'inferior' image quality as compared to S95, but I took a look at the test that DPreview did here and it doesn't look like there's a ton of difference overall. I would say just take a look at the major additions of the S100 and see if they appeal to you, if it doesn't save 100 bucks and put that towards a good memory card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I still like my X10 :colbert:

I was at the electronics store at the Naval Base and I was really surprised that they had both the X100 and X10 on display. I picked up and played around with the X10 and was doubly surprised just how nice and solid it felt in the hands, especially since I thought that the zoom was going to be flimsy.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Doomsayer posted:

So, if I'm a broke-rear end college student, is there a decent choice for a cheap P&S? I guess a cellphone camera works okay, but it'd be nice to take some decent-quality pictures, particularly in RAW. Photography is just something I do for fun, I'm not looking for crazy lenses or anything, just something simple and cheap that can, ideally, shoot okay at night and in RAW. Also preferably under $200. Is this a pipe dream, or is there something out there that fits the bill?

A Canon S90/S95 would probably fit the bill pretty well, I believe the upgrades from the S90 to the later models are pretty marginal. I handled my parents' S95 and I was impressed with how simple it was to use and how small and light it was. It also gets good low light performance because it has a faster lens than most typical P&S cameras

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I am the milkman posted:

I recently got myself a Powershot G15 and I'm thinking about getting a flash for it. I've read good things about the yongnuo 560 sreies as a good budget option and I'm wondering if it will work with my camera. The reason I'm asking is that the camera manual states that "non canon" and "non EX-series" flashes may not work properly and I would like to know if there is any truth to this.

It will work with the G15 because the camera has a hotshoe but what you won't get is TTL (through the lens) metering of the flash with the Yongnuo so you'd have to expose manually with it. With a Canon flash you'd be able to have full automatic mode with the flash.

Any reason you want to buy an external flash for the G15? Shoving a huge flash on top of that small camera is going to make it awkward at best.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I have the RX100IV and it's an incredible camera (the V has better AF and a few other improvements but more or less they are the same camera). I used it everyday throughout my trip in Japan earlier this month and the image quality in both still photos and video are top notch all while being able to stuff it in my coat pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I personally have the RX100m4 and have used it a ton the past year for both stills and video. IQ wise, the m3, m4, and m5 are more or less the same for stills with minor improvements up the line. 4K video was introduced with the m4, if that's important to you. The biggest change with the m5, compared to the m4, is the AF system which is faster.

If you don't really care about video, I think either of the three is fine, I would take a look at some comparisons between the m4 and m5 for the AF system to see if it would make a big different to you.

• Locked thread