Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!
I just bought a Canon S90 after years of hating what my cheap point and shoot gave me (and after dropping and breaking said cheap point and shoot on a museum floor). I've always been interested in photo composition, but this is the first time I've had anything that could really be considered a decent camera. I've read up on all the functions, but have basically zero actual experience outside of just telling the camera to do macro or auto or whatever... feeling like I'm in a bit over my head right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Your Eyes!
Jun 24, 2006
I hate you one and all!

quote:

Are you feeling out of your head technically, or artistically?

If it is the first - leave the camera on auto and go shooting. When you find a technical limitation, then that is when you read up and learn how to solve it by changing the settings.

If it is the second - a good idea is to look at someone's work that you like and try to replicate it. e.g. if you a series of photos of firehydrants that looks good - go out and try to make one of your own. First time around, you are copying the other guy's work - but hopefully it will lead onto your own creativity and the second time will be your own work.

My issues are pretty much technical-- for years now I've been getting frustrated when the awesome shot I see just doesn't translate in terms of color/light/shadow. I've just played with the camera for a bit shooting around my room, and I really notice a difference already. There's been a shot or two where I'm completely baffled as to why it focused the way it did, but I'll keep reading.

• Locked thread