Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I find myself fantasizing more and more about yelling at bad costumers, even when they haven't really done much of anything, like just not notice that I'm behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate
Physical contact - Its bad enough I have to accept your moist damp bills and sticky clumped together coins but dont top it off with a drunken request for a handshake or "fistbump". I'm your register monkey not your friend :P

And yes it is hot outside today! As evidenced by the stifling humidity, numerous fans and the aforementioned wet currency you're sporting champ. If it wasnt for the weather I dont think people would have anything to talk about.

Also on an unrelated note, the sound your car makes when you try to start it when its already running is really a horrendous one.

Nosaj fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 17, 2010

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Fat/old ladies shouldn't wear short shorts, especially when their legs are all varicosy :gonk:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Dear poorly-endowed, overpaid businessmen: please don't be a rude, impatient prick when I ask you questions while taking your order. I want to make sure your food is right, because throwing it out and remaking it is expensive and a gigantic pain in the rear end. 97% of my customers have no problem answering my questions politely and concisely, and I promise that I ask as efficiently as possible so that you can get back to bellowing at your bluetooth headset.

The customer is NOT always right. The customer is always the customer, and my owner will back me up on that, as will the franchisor. If you're going to be a cheap, insufferable dick, please don't come back.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

My dream is to invent a bell that when rung more than once within 20 seconds breaks your stupid finger :mad:

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

My dream is to invent a bell that when rung more than once within 20 seconds breaks your stupid finger :mad:

How about a corollary to that where if someone rings it when you're right there, it bites their hand? "Please ring bell for service" does not mean "ring even if we're two steps away and in full view!"

Chaad
Nov 5, 2009

Nosaj posted:

Laziness
I get so many children who do this, and it's not a big deal, because they're children. Heck, I don't even care so much when there are 20 of them running around at half past past closing time, trying to sort out their purchases that they don't have enough money for, which results in me having to talk to all of them in my broken Spanish. I also get tons of people who are there trying to teach their kids to count change, so we will do it together. No big deal, it's what I'm getting paid to do. Plus, some of them are adorable sweethearts! :3:

If an adult comes up to me and hands over change and tells me "Sorry, I'm not sure how much I have here", it's okay because I can figure out how to take take an amount that will actually give them fewer coins. It does, however, :psyduck: me when they ignore me and hand over 55 cents instead of the one cent that I asked for, because I'll just end up handing them more (useless) change than they gave me initially.

What does irritate me; the employees here aren't provided a smoking area. You, customer, refrain from being snarky when I tell you that there isn't a place to go light up. I feel your pain. Please walk to your car rather than yell at me. Also, I will deny your purchase if you cannot take any of the 5 or 6 avenues that I offer to verify that you are indeed the owner of the credit card that you are handing to me. Overall; I really can't complain. Just minor irritations.

Chaad fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 20, 2010

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Not quite "retail" per se, but something I was just guilty of, so i thought I'd remind folks.

When you order a pizza, be there when it's delivered. The guy had to call my cell to get me to come up from the basement and answer the door. I was all "Sorry man, totally forgot" and he just gave me a stern look.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Massive IT fuckup today so we couldn't pick orders for 2 hours, and had to bust our asses to get done on time :mad:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So we've had these modern chip readers in Finland for about 5 years or so. You put in your chipped card, mash your PIN-code in and you verify your purchase. I also can swipe it if you've forgotten the PIN or just don't want to use the reader. In that case I need to see some ID.

The following are valid ID's:

-A passport
-A driving license
-An ID-card
-A newer social security card that has your picture on it

So this dude wanted to pay and didn't have any ID on him. He searched his pockets and came up with a pictureless social security card. Then he came up with a old military ID, which he claims is valid at airports and "everywhere else". Too bad it doesn't have the proper info which I need to identify him by, also it's not issued by the Finnish Police. Then he said that he'll go to his car and get some money...

So why in the fuckingshitfuckbitch you don't have your drivers license with you? It's exactly the same size as your credit card (unless it's the older one, but he should've had it on it anyways).

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pingiivi posted:

So why in the fuckingshitfuckbitch you don't have your drivers license with you? It's exactly the same size as your credit card (unless it's the older one, but he should've had it on it anyways).

I never understood this. We used to have assholes come in to Gamestop all the time to trade things in for cash, give us a hard time when we were firm about needing a official picture ID to conduct the trade, and then they would proceed to run outside and drive away like a total rear end in a top hat.

Why god? Why?

Honorbound
Jun 13, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Boondock Saint posted:

I never understood this. We used to have assholes come in to Gamestop all the time to trade things in for cash, give us a hard time when we were firm about needing a official picture ID to conduct the trade, and then they would proceed to run outside and drive away like a total rear end in a top hat.

Why god? Why?

The gamestop I sold back too made me give them my fingerprints. FYE was the same way :(

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

Why god? Why?

Why do you need official picture ID for to swap a couple video games?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

alreadybeen posted:

Maybe the local jurisdiction requires the GameStop to operate as a pawn shop WRT the used games. (In Honorbound's case, with the fingerprinting, this is almost certainly the case.) Or maybe it's just company policy.

As for why the guy fled from Boondock Saint's shop, he might have been trying to use you as an unwitting fence.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'm a college graduate with 6 years of experience working a POS system at a movie theater, and I am leaving a full-time technical support job to go back to college.

I applied to Lowes Hardware as a Cashier, and my application was rejected outright without even an interview.

What the hell did I put on there to trigger that? I meet the experience requirements. I haven't been fired from a job before.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

alreadybeen posted:

You're seriously perplexed at this? Maybe to cut down on the selling of stolen goods?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

the posted:

What the hell did I put on there to trigger that? I meet the experience requirements. I haven't been fired from a job before.

You're too experienced.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Pingiivi posted:

You're too experienced.

If there's one word in the english language that's more bullshit than any other, it's "Over-qualified"

Honorbound
Jun 13, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Nosaj posted:

You're seriously perplexed at this? Maybe to cut down on the selling of stolen goods?

This was a big problem when I worked at FYE. My boss eventually got fired over it. A gang of theives had access to a walmart warehouse or something (all the stolen stuff was Walmart stuff) and they would come in like 10 times a week with hundreds of dollars of new unopened merchandise to sell back. My boss always tried to take a hard line with them but always ended up taking most of it.

I made sure my name was never on these transactions and told them to beat it whenever possible. When you come in with 5 brand new unopened copies of a movie that came out yesterday you just arent trying anymore. Over the course of a year they had to have made well over 5 grand. I think one or two got caught but Im unsure because I left before my boss got canned etc.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I saw a trashy looking woman smoking inside the grocery store today, and when she was finished she just dropped the butt on the floor and walked on. I'd always hoped that if I had a situation where I could reprimand another customer I would, but she was pretty scary looking and I was terrified of her at the moment. I'm so disappointed in myself for not telling her how rude and inconsiderate she was.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As for why the guy fled from Boondock Saint's shop, he might have been trying to use you as an unwitting fence.

Oh I realized that the moment it happened. My issue is, why tell me you don't have a license or ID, yet I can clearly see that you drove here. It's just retarded logic on the customers part, that's all.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Boondock Saint posted:

Oh I realized that the moment it happened. My issue is, why tell me you don't have a license or ID, yet I can clearly see that you drove here. It's just retarded logic on the customers part, that's all.

You don't have to own a car or a license to drive one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Nocheez posted:

You don't have to own a car or a license to drive one.

Yes, because clearly I was indicating that it's impossible to drive a car without a license.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Boondock Saint posted:

Yes, because clearly I was indicating that it's impossible to drive a car without a license.

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you implied.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cheezymadman posted:

Sounds to me like that's exactly what you implied.

Ok since you're both five years old, I'll break it down for you.

To legally drive a car on public roads in the United States, one needs a valid drivers license in order to do so.

Driving without one on your person is illegal in most states, including the state where my anecdote took place. I hope this clears everything up.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Boondock Saint posted:

Ok since you're both five years old, I'll break it down for you.

To legally drive a car on public roads in the United States, one needs a valid drivers license in order to do so.

Driving without one on your person is illegal in most states, including the state where my anecdote took place. I hope this clears everything up.

What part of that means you can't start a car without a license? Have you thought this through at all?

Honorbound
Jun 13, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Zo posted:

What part of that means you can't start a car without a license? Have you thought this through at all?

You know exactly what he meant. rStop being intentionally obtuse.

People who drive a car are required to have a pretty easily obtainable and constantly used license. Its not unreasonable to see someone driving a car and expecting them to have a license on them.

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat

Zo posted:

He's not SPECIFICALLY SAYING ONE CANNOT DRIVE WITHOUT A LICENSE you bozos!

He's complaining about an aspect of retail in this thread about people who work retail that it's a pretty loving dumb excuse and he gets exactly what is really going on when people say "oops I don't have my license on me durrr" when questioned about if a person has their license on them and then they go drive away in their car.

Jesus Christ how do you people function in normal real world conversation??

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Lamech posted:

He's complaining about an aspect of retail in this thread about people who work retail that it's a pretty loving dumb excuse and he gets exactly what is really going on when people say "oops I don't have my license on me durrr" when questioned about if a person has their license on them and then they go drive away in their car.

So they must be lying? What a douchey thing to assume.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Lamech posted:

Not having your license on you and not having a license are totally different things.

At least here, if you're pulled over and you don't have it on hand, you don't get arrested for driving without a license. In fact, you get a whole day to produce one.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Cheezymadman posted:

Not having your license on you and not having a license are totally different things.

At least here, if you're pulled over and you don't have it on hand, you don't get arrested for driving without a license. In fact, you get a whole day to produce one.

How often do you drive without your license? Most people I know, even in states where this is not an issue and you have a day to produce it, do not leave it at home all the time. If this happened once, maybe twice, I'd say you have a point.

This was a common everyfuckingday occurrence, because more often than not, the customer in question was trying to fence stolen goods and did not want to have their name associated with the trade in. They would also try to get away with not handing over their license by saying they didn't have it and whining about the policy. As soon as we said sorry, no trade, the license magically appeared seconds later.

You done derailing the thread now? Jesus...

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
It's now time for every bookseller's least favorite question:

"Do you sell non-fiction here?"

A woman asked me this last night and I just kind of gaped at her. I don't get this question often, but when I do it's always kind of mind-boggling. I always ask "what kind of non-fiction?" to see what they're specifically looking for, but she just got angry and said "ANY!" People, a bookstore is not an elementary school library -- we don't have two big sections labeled "fiction" and "non-fiction."

I think the next time I get this question, I'm going to use my boss's answer: "Everything but the fiction section is non-fiction." That'll make 'em :psyboom:.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Part-Time Robot posted:

It's now time for every bookseller's least favorite question:

"Do you sell non-fiction here?"

A woman asked me this last night and I just kind of gaped at her. I don't get this question often, but when I do it's always kind of mind-boggling. I always ask "what kind of non-fiction?" to see what they're specifically looking for, but she just got angry and said "ANY!" People, a bookstore is not an elementary school library -- we don't have two big sections labeled "fiction" and "non-fiction."

I think the next time I get this question, I'm going to use my boss's answer: "Everything but the fiction section is non-fiction." That'll make 'em :psyboom:.

Just say no and see if they turn and walk out

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
What the hell? That is so depressing. Stuck in elementary school, seriously. That's the only way to describe it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

gently caress old ladies, they see you coming and refuse to get out of the way. Old guys? Move as soon as they see you. But old ladies are hateful :(

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:
Just had an older "gentleman" come into my store yesterday and rant for about 10 minutes straight about how service at Target has steadily declined over the years. Most of what he said was just ramblings about how we wouldn't sell him a display unit (which we never sell to ANYONE at our store at least) and how we now have a "dime store" mentality. Oh, and Wal-Mart was founded in World War 2 by Nazi Germany apparently as well.

I almost think the guy had something wrong with him, his wife was trying to drag him out the door the entire time. On the bright side, while he was babbling on, one of my regulars came up and said "Isn't he just the best?!?" and gave me a bit of a hug. THAT type of customer is the kind that makes me want to get up in the morning :)

watchdog fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 5, 2010

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I recently was hired by the grocery chain, Giant Eagle. Even though I wasn't hired to do so, they seem to have me cashiering more often than not.

I hate everyone.

From not understanding the basic physics of the loving belt to put their groceries on, to bitching about differences in price never amounting to more than $.10, to requesting paper bags for the World's Most Annoying Orders like 10 bottles of (ironically) smart water and a loaf of bread thus requiring 42 bags because more than one bottle or slice of bread makes the bags "too heavy", to never remembering their advantage card and "can you please hold up everyone in line behind me while you go look it up for me so I can save $.04 on these potato chips teehee", to every loving thing else these idiots and assholes do in a non-stop order after order continual basis to make my life as difficult as possible. gently caress each and every one of them.

A 6 hour shift as a cashier feels like days. I had to work am 8 hour shift last weekend and thought I was going to blow my brains out. Once, just once, I'd like to have a customer that doesn't cause me some kind of stress.

With every customer that passes through my line, another part of my soul dies. The only good thing about my job is the company I work for, which is a rare compliment to have in a retail thread. But Jesus Christ does the General Public suck the life right of you or what. loving hell.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
I think my favorite thing working at EB was parents stopping in the store and dropping their kids off as they wander the mall.

Ive had more then one parent come in and tear a strip out of me for not stopping their kids as they left the store. Or the times when the kids start being idiots and having to be kicked out of the store is also a great conversation.

Earlier in the thread people were mentioning problems taking change, I had one guy bring in an old pickled egg jar, one of the huge 6 or 8L ones, full of loose pennies, assuring me that there was enough for his game in there.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

AlmightyBob posted:

gently caress old ladies, they see you coming and refuse to get out of the way. Old guys? Move as soon as they see you. But old ladies are hateful :(

I got a lot of this at my last retail job. Thankfully I no longer work there. Though I find it amusing that there seems to be an inversely proportional correlation between how much courtesy a person thinks they 'deserve' and the proportion of courtesy they receive.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The other day I bought a box of cereal and, when I got it home, noticed it had a coupon on it. Some of the wording caught my eye:

Kellogg's posted:

It cannot be used for any other purpose and any attempt to do so may lead to delay and embarrassment at the checkout.

That's fine and all Mr Kellogg, but the kind of people who misuse coupons generally aren't the type to get embarrassed easily. They prefer to have an adult temper tantrum to let as many people as possible know that they've been 'wronged'.