Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Cheezymadman posted:

One of the charities in town bought $4,500 worth of toys when I was working at Walmart this past December. The receipt on that was close to six feet long.

EDIT: And guess who had to help them load it all into their vans?

Isn't this a good story?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

newtestleper posted:

Isn't this a good story?

I was sharing an anecdote related to the current line of discussion: long receipts.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We had a customer buy 50 $10 giftcards and a coffee at our Starbucks today. Her receipt was like 2 feet long.

We did give her the coffee for free though :v:

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
This isnt going to make much sense without the back story but I need to vent anyways. I got passed up on a in-home promotion by someone who had more "in-home" experience. That experience you ask? He sold Cutco knifes door to door. I am loving floored. On a side note this job includes driving a company car, this individual has had 2 speeding tickets within the last 6 months. This fellow also had very limited availability due to attending school.. while I have open availability. Finally this position requires some stupid trainings modules which take about ~3 hours. I really wanted to kill the interview so I completed these modules. He did not. Needless to say I am looking for a different job now. Oh yeah I almost forgot the person who he is replacing made a personal recommendation for me and told his supervisor specifically that the person in question could not handle the technical requirements. poo poo I just keep remembering things, once he got the job he let everyone know that he will be taking the first week off on vacation. So instead of two weeks of training he will only have one. But ohh-boy that Cutco knife experience is the deal breaker. I cant wait to see the repercussions of this.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I am new to retail (2 weeks in, but I am a 30+ year old adult). We have an item of the month that we are supposed to push. Next month's item will be a Snickers Bar, which has nothing to do with our store's primary objective (hardware). I plan to write a note to management that I am a conscientious objector to pushing candy to our customers. Is this a terrible terrible idea?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Meow Cadet posted:

I plan to write a note to management that I am a conscientious objector to pushing candy to our customers. Is this a terrible terrible idea?

Yes, it shows you aren't willing to be a team player over loving candy. It says "I think you are bad management who institutes immoral policy" and can only hurt you.

Nosaj
Apr 30, 2009
Haters Gonna Hate

Meow Cadet posted:

I am new to retail (2 weeks in, but I am a 30+ year old adult). We have an item of the month that we are supposed to push. Next month's item will be a Snickers Bar, which has nothing to do with our store's primary objective (hardware). I plan to write a note to management that I am a conscientious objector to pushing candy to our customers. Is this a terrible terrible idea?

Do you like being paid regularly and having steady employment? If Yes then you should probably forget trying to be a snarky comedic genius.

But if you feel like making your day to day duties at your job even harder and potentially risk your employment then feel free.

Its retail dude, theres not much room to be a unique snowflake, just hawk the candy in a monotonous voice and nod when they come around telling you to do more.

teknetik
Jan 13, 2010

SO
JEWISH
Hopefully someone can shed light on this (clothing retail)

Had a customer walk in, get an item off a rack and bring it to the register. I looked at it and realized it shouldn't have belonged and let her know. The item in question was $20, she pulled it off a rack where everything is listed at $15.99

:) Me
:btroll: Her

:) "Sorry, but this is part of a set and it's not $15.99, someone might have put it there without our knowledge."
:btroll: "I don't care, it's the law, otherwise you're false advertising."
:) "...the law?"
:btroll: "I work in the KMart sales department so I know what I'm talking about. You're required by law to give this to me for the price that's on the rack."

She got incredibly heated at this point and whispered to her husband about me being ignorant in Spanish.

After a bit of a squabble she threw the merchandise on the showcase and said this:

"I'm not taking anything, I'm afraid you guys are gonna blow it up. gently caress you, terrorist!"

Yea, she called me a terrorist.

So who's in the wrong here? I've worked retail for almost a year and have had situations where a customer grabbed stuff off the wrong rack that obviously didn't belong there. Not one of them has thrown the law-book at me though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Nosaj posted:

Its retail dude, theres not much room to be a unique snowflake, just hawk the candy in a monotonous voice and nod when they come around telling you to do more.

Working grunt-class retail in a sentence. Never tell the supervisors and managers they have bad ideas or you'll get fired for inane, made-up reasons.

One of my friends at the place just suddenly puked, felt horrible. She starts packing away her apron and such and informs a manager that she's vomiting and needs to go home before she gets worse.

Manager's response: Uh, alright, well just finish packing down the end caps (refilling displays at the end of aisles) and you can go home.

Her: Uh, what? I feel horrible and that would take like 2 hours. I've never taken a sick day in the 2 years I've worked here! I'm going home I don't need this poo poo.

Week later: Fired for "unacceptable attitude towards customers."

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

teknetik posted:

So who's in the wrong here? I've worked retail for almost a year and have had situations where a customer grabbed stuff off the wrong rack that obviously didn't belong there. Not one of them has thrown the law-book at me though.

You were in the right. You only would have had to give it to her at $15.99 if the item was physically marked that way. "I work at blah blah blah and know my rights" is one of the dumbest tricks people try and pull. Mostly because they are never, ever right.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Working grunt-class retail in a sentence. Never tell the supervisors and managers they have bad ideas or you'll get fired for inane, made-up reasons.

One of my friends at the place just suddenly puked, felt horrible. She starts packing away her apron and such and informs a manager that she's vomiting and needs to go home before she gets worse.

Manager's response: Uh, alright, well just finish packing down the end caps (refilling displays at the end of aisles) and you can go home.

Her: Uh, what? I feel horrible and that would take like 2 hours. I've never taken a sick day in the 2 years I've worked here! I'm going home I don't need this poo poo.

Week later: Fired for "unacceptable attitude towards customers."

And this is just plain illegal (at least in my state). If someone throws up on the job in any place that serves or sells food, they are supposed to be sent home immediately.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

"Hey with your trade and your purchase you'll get this discount card which is usually $15 for free." "No thanks." "It's free money, like literally. I'll be handing you a dollar if you just say 'sure'" "I don't shop here often." "..."

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

minusX posted:

"Hey with your trade and your purchase you'll get this discount card which is usually $15 for free." "No thanks." "It's free money, like literally. I'll be handing you a dollar if you just say 'sure'" "I don't shop here often." "..."

I'd probably do this. Literally there are so many offers out there that have strings attached, some monthly fee, endless spam emails etc. I just say no out of habit.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

alreadybeen posted:

I'd probably do this. Literally there are so many offers out there that have strings attached, some monthly fee, endless spam emails etc. I just say no out of habit.

Especially if I don't shop at that store that often. Once I was offered a trade in offer at a Gamestop that I've could have gotten a new game for 10 euros in addition of what I was getting at the time, but the game they offered didn't interest me one bit. The salesperson was absolutely baffled because I didn't take that offer.

I wasn't being a dick, I just didn't want that game.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

alreadybeen posted:

The thing is he had one that expired, so he knew that there wasn't any of that.

Pingiivi posted:

Especially if I don't shop at that store that often. Once I was offered a trade in offer at a Gamestop that I've could have gotten a new game for 10 euros in addition of what I was getting at the time, but the game they offered didn't interest me one bit. The salesperson was absolutely baffled because I didn't take that offer.

I wasn't being a dick, I just didn't want that game.
That makes sense, but I would have handed him a dollar and free stuff, vs having to spend money money at all.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

A Dapper Man posted:

You were in the right. You only would have had to give it to her at $15.99 if the item was physically marked that way. "I work at blah blah blah and know my rights" is one of the dumbest tricks people try and pull. Mostly because they are never, ever right.

At the store I just started working at, we bend over backwards to please the customers. If the 50% off sign for product X is too close to product Y, we give the discount off product Y. If the customer asks if a product is going on sale soon, and wants to sale price now, we give it to them. If a product was on sale last week but not right now, and they ask, we give them the sale price. It's nuts.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

"Did you guys just open?"
Nope, we've been in the same spot for the past 5 years, and the store that was here before us sold the same type of things for 10 years.

"It's cheaper at Wal*Mart, why are you so expensive?"
Maybe because we're a small company that's lucky to order a dozen units of X, compared to thousands, and we have stupid expensive mall rent to pay too. Speaking of, why the gently caress are you price shopping a mall against Wal*Mart? Do you price shop Dillards and Sears clothes against Wal*Mart poo poo? And while yes, the things that WalMart carries that we do are often cheaper, good luck finding the other half of our merchandise anywhere else locally, that's what really keeps us in business.

It's been happening less often, but people love to stand outside my shop, look up at our sign, and read off the name. Then they blunder off into the sunset. I really don't get what's so fasinating about it.

When I worked at GNC we'd get people who would ask about product X. I'd give a 1 minute description of what it was, what it did, and why it worked, and how to take it. Then get asked what it was? How it worked? What did that do? How should I take it? That was pretty crushing to know that they stopped listening to me 2 words in, and couldn't retain more than 4 at a time.

But over all I really just don't let the little stupid poo poo bother me too much any more. Working retail for over 5 years will do that to you. I'll have my degree in another year and say hello to my cubicle.

BetaTested fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 31, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

BetaTested posted:

But over all I really just don't let the little stupid poo poo bother me too much any more. Working retail for over 5 years will do that to you. I'll have my degree in another year and say hello to my cubicle.
While the five years part is true, the degree part, eh not so much, but perhaps you'll get lucky and the economy will be in recovery by the time you graduate.

I just graduated this past spring with a double major, had an awesome internship, managed to gain a lot more practical work experience than many of my peers yet somehow, that office job is still illusive. I've gotten close to getting a few though, so I'm hopeful.

Working retail part time for now while I look for something is much more bearable than my 40+ hour work weeks at Gamestop ever were, but this economy is seriously killing me with the lack of office/degree jobs.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

While the five years part is true, the degree part, eh not so much, but perhaps you'll get lucky and the economy will be in recovery by the time you graduate.

I just graduated this past spring with a double major, had an awesome internship, managed to gain a lot more practical work experience than many of my peers yet somehow, that office job is still illusive. I've gotten close to getting a few though, so I'm hopeful.

Working retail part time for now while I look for something is much more bearable than my 40+ hour work weeks at Gamestop ever were, but this economy is seriously killing me with the lack of office/degree jobs.

Yeah, I'm majoring in Accounting, and while there are a lot of people hiring accountants, it might be tough for a while to find a place to get a couple years experiance. Most positions I see are looking for someone who is a CPA and has 2+ years of practical experiance. And of course I can't really get an internship because I have to keep a steady job or not have a roof over my head.

Retail is a lot easier on you once you make it to management(Even though I'm still doing every thing I did as an associate, plus all the new stuff, at least I write my own schedule, get a salary, and paid time off). Or just stop being soooo super concerned about every little thing as if it were your own home. I'm not saying stop caring all together, but you have to strike that happy medium where your performance doesn't drop and you can keep your sanity.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

BetaTested posted:

Yeah, I'm majoring in Accounting, and while there are a lot of people hiring accountants, it might be tough for a while to find a place to get a couple years experiance. Most positions I see are looking for someone who is a CPA and has 2+ years of practical experiance. And of course I can't really get an internship because I have to keep a steady job or not have a roof over my head.

Retail is a lot easier on you once you make it to management(Even though I'm still doing every thing I did as an associate, plus all the new stuff, at least I write my own schedule, get a salary, and paid time off). Or just stop being soooo super concerned about every little thing as if it were your own home. I'm not saying stop caring all together, but you have to strike that happy medium where your performance doesn't drop and you can keep your sanity.

I would recommend not completely writing off the possibility of an internship, I've was in the same position as you last year and I'm glad I went through with mine. Lots of non-profits and state and local agencies love getting unpaid interns for even just a few hours a week. Think to yourself, if you can even give them 10-15 hours a week, while it may suck in the short run, it pays off dividends in the long run. You can mark it as practical experience on your resume and you never know who you will work with or meet during the course of your internship can help you out later on when you're searching for a career.

As far as being in management in retail, I'd have to say that's probably dependent on where you work. Gamestop(yes I know) was horrible to pretty much anyone store manager down. Sure the SM's got salary and paid time off, but in exchange, they also had to deal with copious amounts of bullshit I'm sure you would not have to deal with at other retail jobs.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

As far as being in management in retail, I'd have to say that's probably dependent on where you work. Gamestop(yes I know) was horrible to pretty much anyone store manager down. Sure the SM's got salary and paid time off, but in exchange, they also had to deal with copious amounts of bullshit I'm sure you would not have to deal with at other retail jobs.

There are litterally 3 people above me. The district manager, the purchasing manager(Though I'm not sure why she is technically in charge of stores somehow), and the owner. It kind of rocks. The owner scares the piss out of me sometimes though. She can be REALLY intense. But she doesn't visit stores too frequently at least, and for meetings at the office it isn't so bad.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
"I'm looking for a mystery author and I don't see them over there!"
"Did you look in the mystery section?"
"... no."

I also had a guy today who came in exclaiming "I want this to be my most favorite bookstore! I want this to be the best bookstore in the world!" He only had one simple request: a detailed map of Spain. No, a travel book would not cut it. When did we suddenly become a map store? I've had people suddenly request maps of other states and other countries, yet we only carry local road maps.

Similarly, I may just be irritable but I just get annoyed when people try to suck up to us. "Oh, this is my favorite store! I love this store! I come in here every time I come by!" etc., etc. That's nice. Really. But I don't need to hear it every time you come in.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

lovely day today. First off I worked 9 1/2 hours when I was scheduled for 8 because we work until we finish. Also seemed like the rear end in a top hat brigade was out in force today. Saw a lady open up the door to the back room and yell "HEY ANYONE BACK HERE?". She then turned around, saw me, and said "Do you work here?" and I actually had to pause a second to stop myself from saying no.

I'm also getting tired of people whispering their questions to me. Even if I wasn't half deaf I wouldn't be able to hear that poo poo.

watchdog
Jun 20, 2001
We can't lose weight with you if you don't update your log!
   /
:backtowork:
This was probably already mentioned in the previous retail thread, but it bears repeating. If you are shopping some place that has a conveyor belt for your items, for the LOVE OF GOD don't put your cash/change/gift card/credit card on the belt when you are ready to pay. I can't count how many times I've been supervising the lanes when some "guest" freaks out after their $20 gift card got sucked down into the abyss. Seriously, is it that hard to hand the payment to the cashier?

Yes, there is a little pull out tray below the end of the belt, but more times than not when this incident happens, there's nothing but dust and a couple of quarters in the tray.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My retail job really isn't too bad but one of the other employees that frequents my area of the store is an alcoholic we found out. He's started taking breaks like every 10-15 minutes where he'll casually go out to his car and take a few gulps of wine or Listerine before coming back in. He's even stolen a bottle of Listerine from our store.

The old guy is really nice and it's upsetting to see him doing this but the bosses know and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he's canned. I can't say I'm against him being fired, but it's just so sad to see. I hope he gets help somewhere. :smith:

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm also getting tired of people whispering their questions to me. Even if I wasn't half deaf I wouldn't be able to hear that poo poo.

This used to be a big one when I worked in a GNC in a strip mall. There was no music, so the only sound in the store would be whatever traffic from the parking lot, and the occasional rumbling of a fridge compressor. People seemed to think that place was a library.

About 25-50% of customers on a given day would ask their initial questions so softly that even when I was standing right next to them I couldn't hear what they said. Granted that wasn't a whole lot since like 30 transactions was a BIG day there.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

So I just took a part time Geek Squad job at Best Buy while I continue my full time job hunt. It's not something I want to do for long, and I hope to god I'm out of there well before Thanksgiving, but I need to pay my bills somehow.

On the surface, it appears much better than the one day of dealing with Safeway's bullshit and my 2 year managerial stint at Gamestop. So far, it looks like more of the same that I dealt with at Gamestop but with me earning more money than I made as a manager and less whining about reserves and more focus towards selling warranty's and installations, which I had a much easy time selling at Gamestop.

Any other goons work for Geek Squad/Best Buy have any advice or knowledge I should know?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Hey if you order groceries online, proofread your order. Had a lady yesterday order 22 tubs of rocky road ice cream. Driver gets there and she says she only wanted 2. That means we had to refund $100 and that goes against our score :mad:

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

Boondock Saint posted:

So I just took a part time Geek Squad job at Best Buy while I continue my full time job hunt. It's not something I want to do for long, and I hope to god I'm out of there well before Thanksgiving, but I need to pay my bills somehow.

On the surface, it appears much better than the one day of dealing with Safeway's bullshit and my 2 year managerial stint at Gamestop. So far, it looks like more of the same that I dealt with at Gamestop but with me earning more money than I made as a manager and less whining about reserves and more focus towards selling warranty's and installations, which I had a much easy time selling at Gamestop.

Any other goons work for Geek Squad/Best Buy have any advice or knowledge I should know?

I hope you have already lost your faith in god because if not this job will strip you of it. So much bullshit it is not even funny. I could go on for hours. Sadly I do not have PMS but if you walk to talk about it I'll figure out a way to get you my email.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

DaRealAce posted:

Sadly I do not have PMS
Isn't this a good thing? :iamafag:

Even though I now work in tech support, the customer complaints are along the same vein. They got x but thought they'd actually get y and are complaining because z is happening. Oh and they're rude. They're always rude.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Somebody spit their gum out onto the floor and now it needs to be scraped off

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Somebody spit their gum out onto the floor and now it needs to be scraped off

I've taken over 3 different stores as a store manager, and THIS. I can't tell you how many black spots that were once gum were on the hardwood floors. Yey razor blades...

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I have tomorrow off WITH pay :smug:

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
Twice now in the past 30 days I've had complaints made against me by women who overreact to common occurances and then feel embarrassed about their behavior so they feel the need to try to get me in trouble for it. One woman had screaming children in line at the grocery store, told me to just give her all the groceries so she could bag them herself so that she could get out of there faster, proceeded to bitch at me while bagging her groceries because there needs to be more registers open and why in the world should she have to wait 5 minutes in line at noon on a saturday, and then asks for a manager who she goes to and complains about me...while IN TEARS. Seriously lady??? I did absolutely nothing wrong, but because she was embarrassed by her screaming temper tantrum throwing children she decided to try to get me fired.

gently caress retail.

EDIT: what the gently caress??

The Robins Taley fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 7, 2010

ChirpChirpCheep
Apr 22, 2008
Don't have any specific stories right now, just that every time I hear the words "bait and switch" used, I want to ram my head into a wall. It's like one time one person used the phrase and it worked, so the memo got sent out to every rear end in a top hat in the world to parrot it as loudly as they can in order to try and get what they want, even if the situation occurring has NEITHER A BAIT NOR A SWITCH INVOLVED.

Also, I swear, there should be some sort of test you have to pass before you are allowed to interact with other human beings in society.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Just have to work friday and saturday and then 2 weeks of sweet sweet vacation :)

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
I've only worked retail once but I quit after my second day at American Eagle because apparently the main goal for the sales staff is to get customers to sign up for AE credit cards and I feel like a scumbag trying to get people to sign up for a new line of credit on the spot like that.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
We've had Maxwell House coffee on sale for the last two weeks at our store, and our warehouse, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send us two measly cases last Friday. We were already running pretty low, so we ended up selling out over the holiday weekend.

I've had more people cop an attitude over this coffee than anything else. "EXCUSE ME, why are you sold out of the Maxwell House!?" "WHERE IS THE COFFEE" all day today. Telling them I can give them rainchecks and to come back on Friday did not help.

It's not my fault you dragged your rear end here on the last day of the sale goddamnit, don't get mad at me about coffee!! :mad:

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

We've had Maxwell House coffee on sale for the last two weeks at our store, and our warehouse, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send us two measly cases last Friday. We were already running pretty low, so we ended up selling out over the holiday weekend.

I've had more people cop an attitude over this coffee than anything else. "EXCUSE ME, why are you sold out of the Maxwell House!?" "WHERE IS THE COFFEE" all day today. Telling them I can give them rainchecks and to come back on Friday did not help.

It's not my fault you dragged your rear end here on the last day of the sale goddamnit, don't get mad at me about coffee!! :mad:

The only thing worse than this is the stupid jackasses looking for a 20+ pound turkey the night before Thanksgiving. Yeah, just a little late there, and even if we did have it, it would be a bitch getting it defrosted in time.

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010

A Dapper Man posted:

The only thing worse than this is the stupid jackasses looking for a 20+ pound turkey the night before Thanksgiving. Yeah, just a little late there, and even if we did have it, it would be a bitch getting it defrosted in time.

In the bookstore vein, I have no sympathy for all the kids coming in trying to finish their summer reading two days before school started. Don't cry to me if we don't have the book, you were the one who had three months to read the thing and now you're coming in looking for the thinnest book on your list so you can continue to shirk your homework. I had a kid come in today and buy a 300+ page book and had to read it all AND do her huge summer assignment by Friday. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

A Dapper Man posted:

Meanwhile they only send us 5 fresh turkeys and those sell out immediately