Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I work in a coffee shop inside a major retailer, and the entire experience has destroyed any sense of worth I once felt for this piece of poo poo country. I realize that is a very stark thing to say; nothing so far has given me reason to believe otherwise.

Every single day I come to work and "serve" the fat, sloppy, and disgusting fucks that invest this shithole. My job does not simply revolve around making interesting coffee-based beverages, and proclaiming the benefits of consuming Arabica beans farmed by starving people in Central America - nope. The sweat and tears that makes up part of the moisture in the beans is not enough. These people must grind into your forehead the society accepted fact that you are not human.

I grew up in a household that put value on every single human life in existance. I still cannot get used to some overweight being waddling through the cafe section, and simply refusing to do anything to make someone else's life a little easier. We do not exist in any tangible way to these people. They will throw their trash on the floor, and demand you pick it up for them. They will let their children poo poo on the floor (yes...), and smugly walk away with a gait of superiority. If something is not to their liking, they will waste no time grabbing a manager, and emptying their lungs to proclaim how you should be fired/killed for your supposed ineptitude; of course always refusing to conversing with you directly about the issue beforehand. Whatever the reason, whatever makes them miserable, whatever is wrong with the world; it is always because of YOU. YOU serve no purpose, and YOU should be extinguished.

This job has made me borderline hypocritical. I don't believe I ever once actually felt realistic hatred towards people until this point in my life. Now, I am loving embarrassed I even share a common country and flag with some of these individuals - fat, ugly, lazy, unfriendly, robotic, mean, demanding, self-entitled, without worth. Some of us run on our feet 8+ hours a day playing indentured servant for $9/hour while the rest get to poo poo themselves in office chairs all day for twice that. They just consume and consume and consume while the rest of us barely make enough to keep our bellys full. And this is all ok! This country is perfectly fine accepting of the notion that the retail peon is in that position because he or she did something bad to deserve to be there.

You know you gotta get out of this poo poo when you blankly stare out into space after an entire day of getting belittled wondering what the ratio of burning fat to burning muscle was during the WTC attack...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Avalanche posted:

:911: :argh:

You should watch the German film "The Edukators".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avalanche posted:

This job has made me borderline hypocritical. I don't believe I ever once actually felt realistic hatred towards people until this point in my life. Now, I am loving embarrassed I even share a common country and flag with some of these individuals - fat, ugly, lazy, unfriendly, robotic, mean, demanding, self-entitled, without worth. Some of us run on our feet 8+ hours a day playing indentured servant for $9/hour while the rest get to poo poo themselves in office chairs all day for twice that. They just consume and consume and consume while the rest of us barely make enough to keep our bellys full. And this is all ok! This country is perfectly fine accepting of the notion that the retail peon is in that position because he or she did something bad to deserve to be there.

It helps if you pity them for what they are and tell yourself it won't last forever. Oh, and get this out of your system before college. If you've already been, I'm sorry. If you're not going, consider a trade school.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

baquerd posted:

It helps if you pity them for what they are and tell yourself it won't last forever. Oh, and get this out of your system before college. If you've already been, I'm sorry. If you're not going, consider a trade school.
This is great advice. What helps me is that old quote, "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger." Dealing with this kind of vitriol at least makes one less likely to perpetuate it, I hope.

I do night stock. I stock pet food, cat litter, paper towels, and toilet paper. My employer is a union shop. What this means is that any employee that is lazy or incompetent is shielded from getting what they deserve, while the rest of us have union dues deducted from our pay. That being said, I know unions are a necessary evil, and I even support mine despite my grievances.

The only reason I'm bringing it up it all is one of my fellow employees, who we'll call "Jim". "Jim" is from Ghana, and has accepted the lord Jesus Christ as his personal savior. He's quite fun to troll, when the opportunity arises. "Jim" also moves slower than molasses in January. He is not expected to improve, or even approach the productivity level of a normal adult. Normally, this would be accepted, but he recently got a second job, and had to request to come in later than the normal 11-7 shift. This allowed my ingenious bosses to cut his hours down from full time to less than even part time.

Toward the end of the night, after I was done stocking the dogfood isle, my supervisor asks if I'm going to be able to fit everything in with my other backstock. I tell him that I doubt it, as the skid that holds the 20+ lbs. bags is full to the point of being unstable. I ask him if I can work it, so as to clear some room off of it and make it more stable. This is when he tells me that I was obviously going slow tonight, and refuses. While we're having this conversation, I glance at the clock on my phone, and it's 5:14. I'm supposed to be done by 5 so I can pretty up the store with the rest of the wage-slaves. Tonight, however, I'll be doing some of "Jim's" isle during that time, since he will be sent home after 4 hours. Anyway, I go back into the stock room, and I start putting everything away. The little stuff fits onto its assigned carts without issue, but the skid of dog food is about 4 or 5 feet tall, and wobbles as I lift it up onto its assigned spot in the racks. Predictably, one of the 50 pounders falls off. On the way down, the raised handle of one of the carts breaks its fall, and it splits, spilling dog food everywhere. When I'm almost done cleaning up the mess, my supervisor comes in and quietly says, "Don't put this back up, I'll work it." :doh:

So I get it all picked up, and on my way out, I glance at the time. It's 5:48. I wasted about a half an hour due to an easily foreseeable pseudo-accident. Awesome. So I throw "Jim's" last skid in about 40 minutes. In this time, the rest of the crew has gotten the store all pretty-like, and I'm free to throw that huag skid of dog food. I end up getting it done with plenty of time to still clock off, with 5 precious minutes to spare.

Before I wrote this post, I didn't think it'd have so many :words:. My apologies on that, hopefully it isn't a pain to read...

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Tomorrow I go on vacation and its the most time I've had off in 4 years and its only 2 weeks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Part-Time Robot posted:

In the bookstore vein, I have no sympathy for all the kids coming in trying to finish their summer reading two days before school started. Don't cry to me if we don't have the book, you were the one who had three months to read the thing and now you're coming in looking for the thinnest book on your list so you can continue to shirk your homework. I had a kid come in today and buy a 300+ page book and had to read it all AND do her huge summer assignment by Friday. :downs:

This times a million. What is up with people and procrastination? It only makes logical sense to distribute work over a long period of time so that there's no stress or feeling of time limit, yet everyone waits until the last day, or even the last hour.

Content, home depot rant:
Has the American consumer ever heard of the phrase "Long-term investment?" I work in flooring, so tiles, wood flooring, vinyl, and their respective adhesives/accessories.

What I get every drat day:
Them: What's the cheapest glue I can use for these ___.
Me: Well, there's this, and you apply it with this and that to give it ridges for a stronger hold, and you should apply this so that it doesn't fall with water, that way-
Them: Uh, this is just for: A. someone else's apartment/house B. some place I'm renting out to someone else, so I don't really give a poo poo, I'm just gonna get the adhesive
Me: Um, okay, but it's going to start falling off in a few months and-
Them: Thank you!
:doh:

So today, a customer decided to give me the same poo poo, and I customer-service-exploded on them.
Me: Alright, just use the adhesive, but know that your friend/your renter is going to be very pissed off when a few months down the road the tiles start chipping off or they're totally destroyed by any contact with water, and you're probably going to think back to this day and say to yourself:
"Gee, I wish I spent 40 dollars that day instead of 25, because now I'm gonna spend 300+ re-tiling/surfacing/whatever the whole god-damned floor/wall/everything and waste tons of time, and I won't be able to blame it on anyone but myself."

He took the accessories (which I discounted for him since they're rip-offs) and other necessary things. :smug:

It just pisses me off so much. No one seems to understand the concept of "If I spend a little more now, I'll get several times the bang out of my buck later." They just want cheap, quick solutions and don't give a poo poo what happens because it's "so far ahead." Wake up! Ahead doesn't mean never, it means it's going to be now sooner or later. Don't even get me started on the amount of times people come in for help with re-tiling and they're repeating the same loving errors.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 12, 2010

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Bobnumerotres posted:

No one seems to understand the concept of "If I spend a little more now, I'll get several times the bang out of my buck later."

It's even more amusing when you see people doing this with mattresses and beds. You spend 6-8 hours a day lying on the drat thing and getting one which doesn't suit you can result in all sorts of strange aches and pains but noooo, they want in and out of the store in 5 minutes flat having spent less than they would for a 3-course family meal.

:byodood: gently caress my long term health, I need the money for mah new flat-screen tee vee!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Bobnumerotres posted:

Home Improvement

I worked at a home improvement store that was located in... a poorer part of town. I was in the "building materials" department, which meant lumber and plywood and drywall and that kind of stuff. I swear for every 1 time I sold shingles that weren't the cheapest poo poo we had, I sold the cheap poo poo 100 times. This is your loving roof. Those shingles have a 15 year warranty and are rated for 65 mph winds. You're gonna need a new roof.

We also sold insulation, so I loved explaining to people that you can't just shove 6" insulation in a 2x4 wall. It just doesn't work like that, trust me.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Bobnumerotres posted:

This times a million. What is up with people and procrastination? It only makes logical sense to distribute work over a long period of time so that there's no stress or feeling of time limit, yet everyone waits until the last day, or even the last hour.

So are you saying you were a perfect student when you were in school? You did all your work well ahead of time and never left anything to last minute? I'm a little confused because from the rest of your post it sounds like you work at Home Depot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e: dumb

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 29, 2014

Death Bear
Apr 1, 2010
I think I had the most memorable night in my five years at the bookstore. I'm gonna copy and paste my description from my LJ because holy crap this guy was a spectacle. :ohdear:

Ladies and gentlemen, I had a close encounter with Chris-chan lite at work tonight.

I got to the store and went in the back to put my dinner in the fridge. I came out and there was a morbidly obese guy leaning on a cane in Young Adult. A few minutes later, he came up to the register with The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner and profusely thanked B [my coworker] for letting him know it existed. He then went on a rant about how "some fool had to go and leak the fifth book and now Stephenie will never write it!" He was visibly dismayed that Midnight Sun will never see the light of day. But this was only the tip of the iceberg.

According to him, even if Midnight Sun never comes out that's fine because there's tons of awesome fanfiction out there to help fill the gap. Just like Harry Potter! And you know what, JK Rowling should totally write a second-generation Harry Potter series. She should also team up with a manga author and write a crossover manga. He writes Pokemon/Fullmetal Alchemist crossover fanfiction as well as Inuyasha fanfiction, desu.

Okay, so he didn't say desu. But he came close when he got on a rant about fansites. "HNNNNG IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY WHEN PEOPLE MAKE FANSITES AND THEN ABANDON THEM WITHIN DAYS, IF NOT HOURS OF CREATING THEM!" Yes, that is almost exactly what he said. Apparently everyone should be totally devoted to their fansite creations. He got angry that everything was being overrun with trolls and spambots and yelled "STUPID BAKAS!" in the middle of the store before proceeding to do a shoryuken with his cane.

I swear I am not making this up.

He asked me and B if we knew about fanfiction. B, being a sensible guy with a social life, didn't, but of course I did. And being the genius I am, I had to let it slip that I enjoy a handful of anime. Well, naturally he was all over me like weeaboos on rice and started talking about all his fanfiction and how he used to be a moderator on some forum before they took his mod position away. He said everyone else told him he was having "delusions of grandeur" and he was very mad because nobody else took their mod position as seriously as he did. He then goes on to say "now, I'm not a fanboy or anything..." before he continued his rant about how people never take their roleplaying seriously and his favorite Inuyasha site is nothing like it once was.

He finally left after talking to me for about fifteen minutes. B said, "Well, at least when we find your body in the dumpster we'll know who did it."

Since I am a creepy internet stalker (him giving me every screen name he had under the sun helped), I managed to Google him. He was pretty easy to spot on The Inuyasha Journey. Turns out he's 36 and still uses the ^_^ face. 36. This man is the epitome of the word "manchild."

Just... my god. There's a video of him on Youtube telling people to "play with their inner child" and all it's missing is Goodbye Horses playing in the background. :gonk:

Death Bear fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 17, 2010

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Avalanche posted:

Some of us run on our feet 8+ hours a day playing indentured servant for $9/hour while the rest get to poo poo themselves in office chairs all day for twice that.

Twice that? Try quadruple that. Can you make sure that none of the caramel gets on the lid? I don't want to have to lick it off the lid again, GOT IT?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I feel bad for people who skip this chapter of life though. Working retail teaches you A LOT about people and how difficult the industry is, and I feel a hell of a lot nicer from working at the depot even if some people make me lose faith in humanity.

We (and by we I mean anyone in retail, really) get people everyday who seem to be oblivious to how a job works. The back/overhead is magical and has infinite supplies of everything, even things the store doesn't sell anymore.
If we're not helping out customers it means we're just picking our noses, we're totally not trying to make sure the store is clean whilst trying to fulfill constant demands from superiors or anything like that. Oh and it's totally okay to bother us and tell us full stories when we're doing something that requires concentration.

It's baffling how little people know. :( It gets to the point where a customer with any amount of modesty or respect gets my instant worship.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 20, 2010

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't tell you I have an obsession with destruction. I've made explosives before for everyday use, I will level city blocks just for the thrill.
My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time, and it makes me sick. The corporate policy until recently was that as long as it's not shrink-wrapped, and unless they actually tell you that the stuff is stolen, we have to give them all the money they want. Last year, one particular woman was trading in three or four of those Wii Remotes with the Motion Plus included every couple of days. We eventually had a trash bag stuffed with thirty or so of the drat things.

I'm not sure what the local Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us are up to, but these people are practically walking out of those stores with wheelbarrows full of games. Since their plan was working, the thieves wound up with a large group of twenty or so people, doing this all the time, every day. After giving these assholes money so many times, my conscience was killing me. Eventually, we managed to complain to corporate enough to be allowed to refuse stuff that's incredibly suspicious.

Once someone's traded in something really shady, (Frictionless slick box, perfect disc, game just came out, excess of four or five games that still cost $60, etc. etc.), we'll write down their name and never take anything from them ever again. If it's someone we've never taken before, I've gotta give it to them once, to give them the benefit of doubt, but when you're trading in three or four games that came out this week, for a forth of what they cost, it's pretty obvious.

:saddowns: : "Trading in Halo Reach, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, and Madden 2011 already? Those haven't been out very long!"
:) : "YEAH, WELL I GOT 'EM FOR MY KIDS AND THEY JUS' DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"
:saddowns: : "You're only getting $65 for these three. Are you sure?"
:) : "I GOTTA GET GAS TO GO HOME! THEY DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"

:) : "'ey man, I need money for these." *plops down nine Wii 4GB SD cards*
:saddowns: : "Why do you have so many?"
:) : "I DON'T NEED 'EM, ALRIGHT?!?"

To steal games from Wal-Mart, the security device must be taken out. Their standard technique for this is to smash the top of the box. Once we stopped accepting any games with the top smashed, they just started trading in games with NO box. The day before yesterday, a scummy looking guy and his friend both traded in a copy of the newest Madden and Halo each, with no boxes. When asked where the box was, I got a "Fuckin' dog ate up all my boxes, man!". I took them in because the guys weren't on the list yet, but I put them on there.

Yesterday, they come in again, and one of them puts down THREE copies of Halo Reach and two copies of Madden, no boxes. I couldn't believe it.

:saddowns: : "You've gotta be kidding me"
:) : "Hey man, I need money for these"
:saddowns: : "There is no way I can take these."
:) : "Huh? Why not? What the hell, man?"
:saddowns: : "You guys were in here yesterday and traded in a bunch of these."
:) : "YEAH? SO WHAT?!? SO FUCKIN' WHAT? HUH?"

I asked them to leave, which they did, but only after knocking my standees over and calling me a bitch.

I'm so damned tired of these people. It didn't used to be this bad. I used to really enjoy my job, and I love helping people, but these assholes are making me a paranoid wreck. I'm starting to hate coming to work. I've started second-guessing myself whenever anyone trades something in for cash now. I realize I probably shouldn't care about any of this, but the fact that I'm indirectly helping these assholes make a living out of stealing stuff makes me want to throw up.

Also, stop spinning my spinning gift-card rack so fast, you damned kids!

Normalman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 23, 2010

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Normalman posted:

My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time, and it makes me sick. The corporate policy until recently was that as long as it's not shrink-wrapped, and unless they actually tell you that the stuff is stolen, we have to give them all the money they want. Last year, one particular woman was trading in three or four of those Wii Remotes with the Motion Plus included every couple of days. We eventually had a trash bag stuffed with thirty or so of the drat things.

I'm not sure what the local Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us are up to, but these people are practically walking out of those stores with wheelbarrows full of games. Since their plan was working, the thieves wound up with a large group of twenty or so people, doing this all the time, every day. After giving these assholes money so many times, my conscience was killing me. Eventually, we managed to complain to corporate enough to be allowed to refuse stuff that's incredibly suspicious.

Once someone's traded in something really shady, (Frictionless slick box, perfect disc, game just came out, excess of four or five games that still cost $60, etc. etc.), we'll write down their name and never take anything from them ever again. If it's someone we've never taken before, I've gotta give it to them once, to give them the benefit of doubt, but when you're trading in three or four games that came out this week, for a forth of what they cost, it's pretty obvious.

:saddowns: : "Trading in Halo Reach, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, and Madden 2011 already? Those haven't been out very long!"
:) : "YEAH, WELL I GOT 'EM FOR MY KIDS AND THEY JUS' DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"
:saddowns: : "You're only getting $65 for these three. Are you sure?"
:) : "I GOTTA GET GAS TO GO HOME! THEY DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"

:) : "'ey man, I need money for these." *plops down nine Wii 4GB SD cards*
:saddowns: : "Why do you have so many?"
:) : "I DON'T NEED 'EM, ALRIGHT?!?"

To steal games from Wal-Mart, the security device must be taken out. Their standard technique for this is to smash the top of the box. Once we stopped accepting any games with the top smashed, they just started trading in games with NO box. The day before yesterday, a scummy looking guy and his friend both traded in a copy of the newest Madden and Halo each, with no boxes. When asked where the box was, I got a "Fuckin' dog ate up all my boxes, man!". I took them in because the guys weren't on the list yet, but I put them on there.

Yesterday, they come in again, and one of them puts down THREE copies of Halo Reach and two copies of Madden, no boxes. I couldn't believe it.

:saddowns: : "You've gotta be kidding me"
:) : "Hey man, I need money for these"
:saddowns: : "There is no way I can take these."
:) : "Huh? Why not? What the hell, man?"
:saddowns: : "You guys were in here yesterday and traded in a bunch of these."
:) : "YEAH? SO WHAT?!? SO FUCKIN' WHAT? HUH?"

I asked them to leave, which they did, but only after knocking my standees over and calling me a bitch.

I'm so damned tired of these people. It didn't used to be this bad. I used to really enjoy my job, and I love helping people, but these assholes are making me a paranoid wreck. I'm starting to hate coming to work. I've started second-guessing myself whenever anyone trades something in for cash now. I realize I probably shouldn't care about any of this, but the fact that I'm indirectly helping these assholes make a living out of stealing stuff makes me want to throw up.

Also, stop spinning my spinning gift-card rack so fast, you damned kids!

Hahahaha, holy poo poo this describes my old store to a T.

I think the one difference was my store manager was a guy in his mid 50's who had been in retail for ages and he just didn't put up with any bullshit or obvious shady stuff. We basically got the go ahead from him to refuse ANY trade if we felt it was suspicious or if the customer was being a complete shitheel. He didn't give a gently caress what corporate thought because more often than not, the people we turned away were not the types who would go and complain to corporate because they couldn't fence their stolen goods at our store. Didn't stop them from trying though.

Only downside was every few months we'd get a new employee or assistant manager that would transfer from a nicer area or something and they would completely buck at doing this to the point they would be targeted by said shady customers.

I don't understand why they didn't follow our routine. It made my life a whole lot easier telling those poo poo heads to gently caress off instead of bowing to corporate over something they really had no perception of.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
To all of you gamestoppers, what percent of trade-ins are this shady stuff? This thread is ruining my impression of humanity.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

alreadybeen posted:

To all of you gamestoppers, what percent of trade-ins are this shady stuff? This thread is ruining my impression of humanity.

I'd say at my store, it was something in the area of 30%, maybe 40-50% if it was the end of the month and people were inbetween pay/benefit periods.

Then again, my store was in a really really lovely area. I'd say the average for most gamestops is 10%.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 24, 2010

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Normalman posted:

Gamestop
Who the gently caress is you're LP manager? This doesn't fly at all around here, and I was in an area where I had to check $20 because people were passing fakes :\

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How do people steal games so easily? At Wal-Mart/Target/etc. aren't they usually locked down behind those glass doors? Don't they have security at these places? I mean I guess I can understand theft that happens occasionally not being caught, but day after day, week after week of the same thing? Inside job, maybe?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cicero posted:

How do people steal games so easily? At Wal-Mart/Target/etc. aren't they usually locked down behind those glass doors? Don't they have security at these places? I mean I guess I can understand theft that happens occasionally not being caught, but day after day, week after week of the same thing? Inside job, maybe?

Employee theft is the biggest theft, yes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Although I was completely unaffected by this and only saw it from a distance, we had a real rear end in a top hat in the store today.

He paid for $20 worth of stuff with $100, and received exactly $80 change. The cashier only had two 20's, two 10's, and the rest he was give in 5's. This was unacceptable because the man only wanted 20's back. So he demanded a refund. The cashier couldn't do that for some reason or another so he demanded to speak to a manager(of course). So they called the cashier supervisor over who he deemed too lowly for his problem, and he demanded to speak to a higher up manager. So finally an executive manager comes over and hes bitching and whining for 20 minutes about how he didn't get the change in the denomination he wanted. Last I heard as I was heading out was that he was now demanding to speak to the store owner, who I hope tears him a new one because she is awesome.

The guy seemed like a combination of your typical "I am stuck in middle management for the rest of my life so I am going to treat you like scum in order to feel like I control something" type customer and the"I don't realize that supermarkets are not banks and don't have infinite money hurf durf" people

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
Had a lady yesterday upset that I was counting her cans of cat food. Turns out they were 32 can of the same flavor. Apparently there is only one way to count something. Of course if she had just shut up and let me do my thing she would of been out of there in half the time. God people disgust me.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Only 1 more day of vacation left :(

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I've graduated with a BA in Art, but don't have a portfolio, so I'm trying for retail and restaurant jobs. So far, Macy's is the only store that's even called me back, and it was a sales associate position. My interview was going really well, but when I asked what the pay was, the interviewer checked to see what positions were open and came back to inform me that no positions were available and to try in the holiday season. Anyone work at Macy's who can tell me why they bothered interviewing me?

Also another upcoming Macy's position for "Beauty Adviser". Let's hope that the position is available this time!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Megera posted:

I've graduated with a BA in Art, but don't have a portfolio.

How could you possibly have done this? Did you ask anyone whatsoever at any point in time what the first thing artists need to get a "real" job is?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Had 2 weeks of vacation, came back today and now have the next 3 days off.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

baquerd posted:

How could you possibly have done this? Did you ask anyone whatsoever at any point in time what the first thing artists need to get a "real" job is?

Typically art students graduate with what is called a "shotgun" portfolio: lots of images but no specific concentration on any one thing due to the types of classes we need to take. For example, I want to do character design, but only have maybe 8 images that can work from classes.

I guess I should have said "I don't have a complete portfolio."

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Ahh, it's been a while since I've posted.

I have since transferred from my old place back to a store near my parents' house in order to save money. I may as well have jumped from the first circle of Hell to the fifth circle, no parachute.

And in this fifth circle of retail hell rules someone I affectionately call Satan herself, Queen Devil of Coupons. And no, she isn't some ordinary coupon-user. Oh no, not at all. (Though they're much more numerous here than my old store.)

In between the plague of cash-carrying locusts that swarm the cases of beer, she darts in, fistful of coupons at hand. Her first time she met me on my first day, she was cheerful. "Oh, it's your first day here? I've never seen you here before! We'll get to know each other well!" I was glad to hear such a cheerful voice until I saw the coupons. I've never felt my blood leave my face that quickly. She realizes she has the power here. She knows it. She's mocking us.

Oh, how cheerful she is. "Here is this coupon for this, and oh, can't forget this coupon I printed! Your policy states one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon, after all!"

Her absolute cheeriness is only one factor, of course, in the unholy trinity that grants her the title of the queen devil. You see, we have coupons that customers can print from the website. These coupons are personalized with their name, or if they somehow print a generic, the coupon will say "Preferred Customer."

Take a look at her coupons. Only this woman would have the sheer nerve to make up generic titles. "Value Customer." "Value <name of store>." "<name of store> Value." "Customer <name of store>." And yes, the English on these coupons is mangled. On purpose? I don't know. Is English not her first language? Maybe. Does it matter to her? No. Instead, she has mastered the language of Couponese, copy of our coupon policy always in hand (or in her folder of coupons.) Should society collapse and coupons go the way of the dinosaur, she would be rendered mute, unable to threaten a complaint to upper management that she could not save another dollar on an item that was already on sale for 90% off. Her copy of our coupon policy would merely be used as kindle a campfire upon where we would roast our canned Vienna sausages, salvaged from the remains of our store, as we finally exact our revenge by being able to kick her out of our loving store. She would never be able to return to our store with anywhere near the frequency she does now.

Which makes up the last part of her trifecta of insanity. She comes to our store often. And I literally mean I've seen her show up to torment us 3-4 times a day a couple times a week. And I ask myself:

Why?

What use have you, woman, for buying multiple loving clearance-shelved air fresheners for next-to-nothing with your damned coupons? What are you trying to prove? That you have a metric fuckton of space in your cramped abode, burying your cats under your piles of useless trinkets? Are you preparing an offering to your god, perhaps, burning your goods as a way of appeasement before scouring the internet for more coupons? Are you some passive-aggressive anarchist, believing that you can show the man that you can rip off a big-rear end corporation?

Or are you just that loving bored and insane?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Casull posted:

The Devil Queen of Coupons

Sounds like a website I stumbled across a while back about the 'frugal lifestyle'. It seemed the people behind the websites' entire lives revolved around shopping at second hand stores, clipping coupons etc to keep out of debt. They seemed to treat debt as a horrible thing that nobody can responsibly control.

More power to them for managing to be debt free, but their attitude sounded exactly like the crazy nectarine lady who I may have described in the last retail thread.
(the tl;dr of it was some lady accused me of overcharging her for a nectarine. The overall difference between prices was about 10 cents, and it's not like she was short on cash. I'm still a little confused as to why she a.) was convinced I was wrong yet b.) refused to take me to where she got the nectarines so I could put a price amendment through).

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Casull posted:

Queen Devil of Coupons

Oh my god I'm so sorry. Coupon ladies are the worst. There's one old lady who comes in to my store ever so often and always has a million coupons for the most trivial poo poo. And then she makes me double-bag EVERYTHING. "Oh, double that bag sweetie, I'm walking home!" Goddamnit woman I know, you come in here every. loving. day. :argh:

One time I got in an argument with her because she wanted to use some coupons on some discounted boxes of crackers. The crackers were expiring soon, so they were fifty cents. She had a $1.00 off coupon for the crackers. You can probably see where we had friction. In the end, my manager agreed that she could not use the coupons.

In other news, I am really sick of getting nearly 40 hours almost every week without any of the benefits. Even worse, it'll be eight hours one week, 32 the next, and so on..I just want a steady schedule goddamnit, why is this so impossible? Our scheduling manager is goddamn incompetent.

MalConstant
Mar 16, 2008
I work for the festering shitpile that is Sam's Club. I hate that place with every inch of myself and I've only been there five months. On the upside I'm only 21 (in college, which I also dislike) and this clearly won't be my job for too much longer..I hope. What the hell am I doing with myself?

The people. The loving people. I've worked in 3 different retail settings before and this is by far the worst retail/wholesale/whateverthehell place I've been in. It's Southern Florida. Now, Florida can be just downright awful on it's own, but Southern Florida is it's own brand of awfulness. I think I'm becoming a racist prick just by working here. Now I've met some cool Hispanics and Haitians, but Jesus are there some real worthless dickheads.

The other day

:cool: Alright Ma'am, that'll be $$$$ would you like to put this on your Sam's Card today?
:hitler: (Nods her head as she yaps away on her drat cellphone)
:cool: Okay, I just need your signature right there for me
:hitler: (Signs the tablet and is still on the phone)
:cool: Have a nice day!
:hitler: (hangs up the phone, rummages through her purse and pulls out cash)
:cool: I charged your card already
:hitler: I WANTED TO PAY CASH WHY DID YOU CHARGE MY CARD I DIDN'T SAY TO.
:cool: You nodded your head yes and you were on your phone

She left so I wasn't paying attention and I said something under my breath. She heard me when she came back to get her receipt since she stormed off

:byodame: WHAT DID YOU SAY TO ME?!?!?
:ssj: I said maybe you should stop being so rude and get off your phone so I can communicate with you lady.
:byodame: WHERE'S YOUR MANAGER????

My supervisor overheard it and I got yelled it, but I made my point and she couldn't really say poo poo to me other than "we can't be doing that".

I get these fucks everyday. Today I got some Haitian rear end in a top hat that freaked out when I put a sealed bag of brown sugar next to some frozen chicken in his cart.

Seriously, when I got there it wasn't THAT bad. My GM who was a pretty cool guy got promoted to some regional poo poo and we got some bitch from the other coast of Florida who came in and changed all sorts of crap. I'm a cashier so every thing should be pretty cut and dry, but no.

First, I have to ask every customer to upgrade their membership to this bullshit PLUS membership which is about as worthless as the sweat on my balls. It's 60 dollars more than the regular membership and the main benefit is the coupons that come with the card..HOLY poo poo!! You also get some other discounts, but you'll never see them. And how the gently caress am I supposed to convince someone to sign up for a credit card with a fixed APR of 22.99%?? I'm guessing everyone's credit is poo poo down here because I've never seen it lower than 20%? They're always on my rear end about selling and upgrading and I don't give a gently caress, in fact, I make it an effort to tell the customer what a piece of poo poo the upgrade is. If it's so god drat good why do you need a whole separate staff to sell the membership? I think at every wholesale club there's usually an rear end in a top hat that approaches you in line to try and sell you the upgrade. At least my last job, I only had to sell warranties and services. That poo poo was easy.

What was I thinking taking this drat job? It's so drat boring. I'm like a robot on an assembly line. I can feel myself losing grip of reality. Each shift I take myself to a place I wish I was at and stay there while I load poo poo, take money and say Have a nice day. When it gets dead I have to pretend like I'm busy or else I get yelled at for waiting for a customer. I can't leave the register to go straighten poo poo, so I pretend like I'm sweeping nothing. I can't even piss without asking first.

Now they have this "new" rule where you have to transfer every loving thing in these carts if they don't want to unload it or if you get motherfucked onto the flatbed lane where there is no belt, then you you have to no matter what. Do you know how many Hispanics come through with flatbeds full of 50lbs bags of rice and maseca? Or venders who get 20, 30..50 cases of soda or water? What's so goddamn wrong with counting? Luckily, I work out on a regular basis so I don't struggle too much, but gently caress, after 7 hours of bending and lifting poo poo I want to murder everyone with a butter knife.

I hate the management, they're all sams club lifers. Even some of the full-time hourly employees have been there for 20 years. All they loving talk about is the weather and soap operas. gently caress. All the other cashiers are just apathetic and don't care ABOUT anything. It's a goddamn depressing shitstorm. On a side note, I got my good friend a job there a month ago, he's already beginning to seethe with hatred. At least we can both talk about how lovely our jobs are. All this for $11 an hour...

I need to get out. This place has made me an angry person devoid of any feeling. I may not make it through another month.

:suicide:

/rant

MalConstant fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2010

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.
I hate when people ask me for paper bags for their groceries. I hate it because of their holier-than-thou tone of voice when asking (usually), but mostly I hate it because our bagging area isn't set up for paper bags and so it's a huge pain in the rear end.

Last week, we had a bag shortage. We were completely out of paper bags. All day I waited for some arrogant prick to come into my line, interrupt my greeting (which is usually just "hi, how's it going?") and order me to use paper bags just so I could finally say "sorry, we're out of paper :smug: "

Not one goddamn person asked for paper that whole day. gently caress.

Also had a woman put a leaky bottle of bleach into her cart full of $300 worth of groceries only to FREAK THE gently caress OUT ABOUT IT and declare she didn't want any item at all because she "had to thnk about the lives of her infant child and husband." I can understand maybe not wanting produce that has bleach potentially leaked all over it, but Jesus Christ. It's not arsenic or hemlock you loving loon. It's called water--use it to rinse off whatever you're going to put directly into your mouth and the problem is solved. Bleach will not burn through the plactic wrap and continue through to the cardboard of your Hi-C juice boxes.

Her: I DONT WANT ANY OF THIS!! MY INFANT CHILD!! MY HUSBAND!!!
Me: Uhh...you don't want any of it?
Her: NO!! AND YOU CANT BLAME ME!!!!

She shrieked that last part 5 or 6 times to me, the cashier in front of me who accidentally turned around to see the crazy lady for himself, and my supervisor. The best part was her lamenting about having to find another hour of her time to come back and re-shop for everything. We just put everything right back on the shelves, you crazy twat. Enjoy your bleachy groceries!

She later called and complained about me and lied saying I rolled my eyes at her (not true) and made her feel stupid and that she was overreacting (true). IT'S JUST BLEACH

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Robins Taley posted:

She later called and complained about me and lied saying I rolled my eyes at her (not true) and made her feel stupid and that she was overreacting (true). IT'S JUST BLEACH

Uh, sorry if I have a leaky bottle of bleach in my cart and I don't notice, there's no way in hell I'm buying those groceries, especially if I have an infant to worry about. You don't know bleach didn't soak in around plastic wrap (or that it was liquid tight to begin with), for example. You should have thrown everything out, and you've totally opened the store to major lawsuits.

Das Burger Konig
Sep 26, 2010
I'm being trained as a front end manager of a grocery store, so most of the time I am off register and answering phones or delegating breaks or printing and filling out various forms, however whenever any lines build up, I grab whoever is sticking out and take them to a lane and check them out. This isn't really me being nice as it is the store's policy, but I don't mind it...at first.

Has anyone else noticed that a lane with its light turned off, yet a person is on register and people are in the line is one of the most tantalizing sights for customers. They'll just slide in, or at best ask, "Are you open?" to which I have to say "Hop on in!" all cheerily because store policy doesn't let us say our lane is closed if we are currently manning the register, even if it is. This holds true also for any cashier who is getting ready to leave, they can't deny customers, though we turn a blind eye to it, if our boss heard someone saying "Sorry were closed" he would freak out.

Most people will feign ignorance if you point out your light is off, "Oh sorry I didn't notice" or some such, but I can only imagine their thought process is "hmm, their light is off, they must be getting ready to go, which means they'll be moving quickly trying to get us through!"

Oh, also, if you have WIC checks, at least have the decency to know what is on the checks, don't just dump a pile of food on the belt, hand me a stack of checks, and say "Whatever isn't on there I won't get." At least most people are kind enough to group the items with the check their using.

Das Burger Konig fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2010

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
from the sounds of this thread. this seems to be a mostly American problem. that poo poo won't fly where I work.

(I live in the UK btw.)

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Supeerme posted:

from the sounds of this thread. this seems to be a mostly American problem. that poo poo won't fly where I work.

(I live in the UK btw.)
Another UK person here. Whenever I worked on a register and the time came to close it, a member of staff would actually join the queue and say to people turning up "Sorry, this till's closing".

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Das Burger Konig posted:

Most people will feign ignorance if you point out your light is off, "Oh sorry I didn't notice" or some such, but I can only imagine their thought process is "hmm, their light is off, they must be getting ready to go, which means they'll be moving quickly trying to get us through!"

I speak as a consumer that this is the most annoying thing ever. Some checkers forget to turn their lights on, sometimes a light is burned out, etc. We have no clue what to think when a person is manning a register but the light is off.

The real answer should be to turn your light on when you're at the register, then turn it off when you're finishing and let people know that the register will be closing after the current customer is checked out.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
I got the Macy's job! Doesn't pay much above minimum, but it's on call so I can choose when and how much I work, plus I get sales experience. I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories to contribute. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Supeerme posted:

(I live in the UK btw.)

My thoughts exactly. I worked retail for six years in Holland, and although I did get the occasional crazy irrational demanding customer like described in this thread they were few and far between. 99% of the people are very nice.

I guess we are not so insecure that we need to assert dominance over people with less fortune than ourselves. At least that's what I think is the reason for all the crazy condescending treatment retail workers receive in America.

PS: If this post is a bit confusing, it's because I'm tired so if I said something stupid it was not my intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Robins Taley
Apr 3, 2006

I'd bone her.

baquerd posted:

Uh, sorry if I have a leaky bottle of bleach in my cart and I don't notice, there's no way in hell I'm buying those groceries, especially if I have an infant to worry about. You don't know bleach didn't soak in around plastic wrap (or that it was liquid tight to begin with), for example. You should have thrown everything out, and you've totally opened the store to major lawsuits.

Come on. I think maybe people think bleach is more harmful than it really is. They put bleach in swimming pools and drinking water. Such a small amount, even for an infant, is not harmful.

Also, I didn't open up the store for lawsuits. I'm just a lowly retail drone working the register. The decision to put items back in shelves doesn't involve me.