Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Nocheez posted:

I speak as a consumer that this is the most annoying thing ever. Some checkers forget to turn their lights on, sometimes a light is burned out, etc. We have no clue what to think when a person is manning a register but the light is off.

The real answer should be to turn your light on when you're at the register, then turn it off when you're finishing and let people know that the register will be closing after the current customer is checked out.

He's talking about people seeing the light off and getting in the line anyway. Then when called out on it they feign ignorance about seeing the light off. I hate these mother fuckers with a passion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Grocery stores can be a real pain in the rear end in certain positions. One of those positions is taking care of grocery department damaged and markdown products. Here are two scenarios, one is ideal, the other is reality.

Ideally, coworkers who find misplaced product while stocking the shelves would put that product away as they work through the aisles and bring the damaged product back to the appropriate area, sorting it into one of three bins: damaged markdown, damaged warehouse, and damaged vendor. Damaged markdown is for product that the store can tape up and sell (like cut open boxes of cake mix where the plastic bag is intact). Damaged warehouse is for product that the store cannot sell but that the warehouse might give us credit on (cans of soup with damage around the seal shouldn't be resold due to exposure for example). Damaged vendor is for products that vendors bring in because they handle their stuff separately (Coca-Cola, chip vendors, bread vendors, etc. usually give credit for damaged product and thus it shouldn't be marked down). In this way, products are pre-sorted, making the person in charge of markdowns able to do an effective, efficient job that saves the company probably thousands of dollars a year in what would otherwise be losses.

In reality, here's what happens. The overnight stocking crew finds misplaced product. They set it on the floor, then gather it in a cart and wheel this perfectly good product back to the damaged product section instead of the shelf or the overstock area. Then, everyone adds any form of damaged product to those carts. It doesn't matter the condition or type. If it's a leaking 12-pack of pop for instance it just gets tossed in the cart, and subsequently all over the good products underneath it. Product also gets crushed by heavy product in this manner. Then the person in charge of handling markdowns has to spend hours sorting through a half-dozen carts full of product to separate the good product from the bad, return the good product to the shelves, price the bad product down and wheel that out to a designated clearance area, sort out all the vendor products to their vendors, and prepare the damaged products to be sent to the warehouse.

On top of all this is what is probably the most aggravating thing I've ever encountered in the history of employment: coworkers bringing perishable products and tossing them into the carts full of grocery products (some good and some bad). Now sorting through carts you encounter all sorts of general horrors from spoiled meat, dairy and produce products. Why the gently caress anyone would ever throw a package of meat into a cart that they know will be sitting out is literally beyond my loving comprehension, but it happens every week.

So, what does this amount to? Maggot covered products? Check. Horrible rotten milk stench? Check. Sticky mystery liquids covering otherwise good product cases and the floor? Check. Moldy fruits? Check. Crushed bread, broken bags of chips, leaking cans of juice, and dripping bags of deli meat? Oh you better believe it. And that all winds up being money wasted which makes our store look worse. On top of all that it adds hours of labor to a task because people are too god damned lazy to do things right the first time and believe that the problem magically solves itself as soon as they leave. I know this isn't just a problem at one store or one chain, this poo poo has got to happen all the time.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

jebrown84 posted:

He's talking about people seeing the light off and getting in the line anyway. Then when called out on it they feign ignorance about seeing the light off. I hate these mother fuckers with a passion.

And Nocheez is saying that the light indicates nothing at all. It is on when a register is unmanned, it is off when a register is manned and the person is staring at the ceiling, it is flashing because someone put the wrong bulb in. Those lights mean nothing to us that do not work the registers because their status does not seem to relate to the status of the register.

ladymikochan
Mar 15, 2006

A-hunting I will go! A-hunting I will go! Hi-ho the derri-o! With a vagina full of bees!

Whitey Ford posted:

The old thread was closed on the 29th of May 2010.
I wanted to contribute a story to that thread, but have had to start a new one in BFC instead of GBS, as per Gravy Jones' instructions.

This happened today
My fiancée has been managing a chain retail store for about 5 years, been with the company for 7.

A week ago she had a customercocksucker come to her store to purchase an item. The item was not in stock and has not been stocked at this store for over 3 months. At this point the customer claimed they'd called ahead to confirm it was in stock and that they were very angry that they had traveled in excess of 5 miles to the store to find it out of stock. The suburb where this store is located sounds a lot like another suburb which is 40 miles away, like Riverwood or Ratherwood. Similar, but not the same.

No one took any calls regarding this item which is out of stock so the customer obviously called the wrong store and the customer is always right so someone at my fiancée's store is obviously lying to customers about stock levels. A call to the other store confirms that they had a phone inquiry about the product earlier and that they have it in stock.

The customer hits the roof and starts screaming and berating every employee before storming out. According to the customer, the store is lying about denying she called, is lying about their stock and blah blah blah.

The following day they receive a call from head office informing them that the customer has complained about this incident and that they need to do everything in their power to fix the issue.

So they call the customer and inform her that she can call the other store that is 40 miles away, pay for the item over the phone with her credit card and that store will then post the item to her home address. Considering that taking a credit card purchase over the phone and shipping an item to a customer's home address is against company policy, they went above and beyond to make it 'right'.

Today she gets a call from the other store 40 miles away. This customer has called and verbally abused them over the phone because she was not home when the post office tried to deliver, so the parcel is still at the post office. Somehow this is entirely the fault of the store according to the customer.

As soon as she gets off the phone with the other store, the post office calls her to tell her that this customer has just called them and abused them because she wasn't home when the package was delivered. The customer says there's no way for her to get to the post office to pick it up and went on another tirade of abuse at the postal workers.

So after my fiancée finished work today, she drove to the post office (5 miles away) in her own time to collect the parcel. Because it was not addressed to her and she did not have a release from the addressee, the post office technically broke the law by allowing her to collect it. She then walked 500 yards down the road and hand delivered it to the customer's house by punting it over the customer's fence with her foot.

:toot:

There is something wrong with this world if that type of irrational behavior is tolerated, though it warms my heart to think that if someone gets this worked up about a car cover then they're probably only a day away from a stress induced stroke that will have them making GBS threads their pants until they die.

Holy poo poo! Now that is bad. We've had customers flip out before but usually this is over expensive merchandise. I work in an electronics/appliance store so this can be pretty high end stuff, but a car cover? Um yeah. . . nothing can top that.

Although we did have someone order a blankety-blank portable CD player for a pick up before. It kept not coming in and finally we not only got it but find it and I get to call the customer for pick up. He seemed pretty happy to get his crappy player but then, he goes and does NOT pick it up. Today I get to see if it is still there.

We've had our share of crap. From stuff we asked to be transferred over from our warehouse never coming in, to Special Order stuff being sold even though it is blankety-blank special order stuff that you can't get from the regular store. Discontinued stuff being sold when our warehouse is out of the item and is not getting anymore, and customers flipping out when we can't give them an exact time frame on their delivery. People really want their stuff NOW and woe to the retail slave who is not able to provide it.

I have really become a cynic about people from working retail for so long. Mostly I just go "yeah people are stupid", right along with the managers. It is after all a living.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ladymikochan posted:

...blankety-blank... ...blankety-blank...
:raise:

You are allowed to use swear words here you know.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

ladymikochan posted:

Although we did have someone order a blankety-blank portable CD player for a pick up before. It kept not coming in and finally we not only got it but find it and I get to call the customer for pick up. He seemed pretty happy to get his crappy player but then, he goes and does NOT pick it up. Today I get to see if it is still there.

I hate doing special requests for this very reason. We typically generate anywhere from 5-10 of these a week, and on a good week 75% of people called to be informed that their product is now in will never show up for it.

It's such a disappointment and a waste of time for my store. We try and provide good customer service by even doing hand transfers between stores so the turn around is a day or two instead of a week or three, and they still won't show up.

But worse still is those customers who want product so and so which is unavailable through the manufacturer for the unforseeable future, or was due out 3 months ago and still hasn't made it to retail. They will call back day after day or week after week until it finally shows up, being told the same story every time, and assured that their number is still on our list and they will be called the minute we get that item in.

Best yet is the incompetence that I occasionally encounter with our distributors. I had a customer who bought a $300 set of chess pieces. Not board and pieces together, but 32 pieces for $300. One of his knights on the white side was broken at the neck. I personally call up the vendor and ask for a replacement to be mailed out to us, and specify the color of the knight very clearly. 3 days later a black knight shows up. I call them up again and go over the issue at hand. They request I mail them back the black knight and the broken knight so they can "match" the color of the piece appropriately. Finally over a week after this customer spent $300 we were able to get him a complete set, and our vendor never admitted they made a mistake.

If I'm feeling particualarly motivated I'll snap a picture of both color knights and you can figure out which is which and edit it into this post.

ladymikochan
Mar 15, 2006

A-hunting I will go! A-hunting I will go! Hi-ho the derri-o! With a vagina full of bees!

spankmeister posted:

:raise:

You are allowed to use swear words here you know.

gently caress yeah I know, but that's kind of a catch phrase with me. Pulled it from an old Mickey Mouse cartoon. I like to spread my lingo around.

Anyway to contribute some more, I have slowly developed a major loving hatred for our inventory system. The system will say "hey we got an order for this thing here. Well lets see, we are out of it but here's one (the floor model) lets fill that order! Now the customer did not order a floor model and mostly likely wants a new one. This also means unless we have repeatedly asked for more of a certain thing, we won't get it. Which naturally means, the customer won't get it. Which means, one pissed off customer and either a return or we gotta sell em something better on the cheap. Which brings profit down and sucks for us (no raises for us hourlies and less commish for the sales folks). The system will also tell us, hey we got this thing here and we won't. Many a time we've had to go check in the back to make double sure the thing is there and has the customer's name on it because the system loving lies. Stupid poo poo!

::Update:: The CD player is gone so I guess the customer came and got it! ::small victory::

The system is also prone to random crashes while trying to ring up an order or locking up and taking ages to get to the next screen, usually after typing in complicated delivery directions. ::Le Sigh::

You know I was thinking of having a massive throw-down with all rival retail( IE Best Buy, vs HHGregg's vs Sears vs Home Depot), goons taking up the flags of their respective Retailers and having it out to the death but after reading some things here and every other time this thread comes up, I think we are all too beat down to do a proper beat down. Although the attempt might be a little funny.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ladymikochan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 30, 2010

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think that you retail folk should join forces to overthrow the man.

(I'll cheer from the side because I'm ex-retail)

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION

nac posted:

Cancel that. We just added an intra-store facebook thing called pebble. Hearing everyone else nationwide subtly bitching about this shithole-of-a-company is glorious.
http://i.imgur.com/1QWQa.jpg

Looks like even their IT department is in on it.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

This happened way back but working in the electronics area at officemax, they used to keep most of the stock on top of the shelves so if someone wanted to buy a fax machine or something, I had to get a ladder to climb up and pull it down. I hated it because it always felt dangerous plus I'm afraid of heights. So anyway one day a schitzo comes in and is pelting me with a barrage of really stupid questions about fax machines. Like, why is the price what it is and why is it designed a certain way. After about 30 minutes of trying to get rid of the guy because I have actual work to do, he decides he wants to buy some fax machines... as gifts to other people.

He wanted 8 fax machines, all the same cheap model. So I sigh, and go grab a ladder and start pulling them down. This takes me about 10 minutes because I want to be careful and not drop them or fall and break my neck. After I get them all down and about to call a co worker for some help bringing them to the register, the crazy rear end in a top hat breaks it to me:

"I rode here on my bicycle, I don't know if I can carry all of them"

This was after he was staring at me the whole time I was taking them down. Any normal sane person would have realized the moment I pulled the first one down that it was too big to take home. So anyway I just stared at him mouth agape for a full minute before just walking away to the office without saying a word. The guy started to call after me but I just ignored him.

I told the manager to deal with it because I might have just murdered the dude with one of those god damned fax machines if I had to spend another second with him. But he was cool about it and basically got the guy the gently caress out of the store.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mooktastical posted:

This is great advice. What helps me is that old quote, "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger." Dealing with this kind of vitriol at least makes one less likely to perpetuate it, I hope.

I do night stock. I stock pet food, cat litter, paper towels, and toilet paper. My employer is a union shop. What this means is that any employee that is lazy or incompetent is shielded from getting what they deserve, while the rest of us have union dues deducted from our pay. That being said, I know unions are a necessary evil, and I even support mine despite my grievances.

The only reason I'm bringing it up it all is one of my fellow employees, who we'll call "Jim". "Jim" is from Ghana, and has accepted the lord Jesus Christ as his personal savior. He's quite fun to troll, when the opportunity arises. "Jim" also moves slower than molasses in January. He is not expected to improve, or even approach the productivity level of a normal adult. Normally, this would be accepted, but he recently got a second job, and had to request to come in later than the normal 11-7 shift. This allowed my ingenious bosses to cut his hours down from full time to less than even part time.

Toward the end of the night, after I was done stocking the dogfood isle, my supervisor asks if I'm going to be able to fit everything in with my other backstock. I tell him that I doubt it, as the skid that holds the 20+ lbs. bags is full to the point of being unstable. I ask him if I can work it, so as to clear some room off of it and make it more stable. This is when he tells me that I was obviously going slow tonight, and refuses. While we're having this conversation, I glance at the clock on my phone, and it's 5:14. I'm supposed to be done by 5 so I can pretty up the store with the rest of the wage-slaves. Tonight, however, I'll be doing some of "Jim's" isle during that time, since he will be sent home after 4 hours. Anyway, I go back into the stock room, and I start putting everything away. The little stuff fits onto its assigned carts without issue, but the skid of dog food is about 4 or 5 feet tall, and wobbles as I lift it up onto its assigned spot in the racks. Predictably, one of the 50 pounders falls off. On the way down, the raised handle of one of the carts breaks its fall, and it splits, spilling dog food everywhere. When I'm almost done cleaning up the mess, my supervisor comes in and quietly says, "Don't put this back up, I'll work it." :doh:

So I get it all picked up, and on my way out, I glance at the time. It's 5:48. I wasted about a half an hour due to an easily foreseeable pseudo-accident. Awesome. So I throw "Jim's" last skid in about 40 minutes. In this time, the rest of the crew has gotten the store all pretty-like, and I'm free to throw that huag skid of dog food. I end up getting it done with plenty of time to still clock off, with 5 precious minutes to spare.

Before I wrote this post, I didn't think it'd have so many :words:. My apologies on that, hopefully it isn't a pain to read...

Heh, when I did 3rd shift stocking, I would have given anything to throw paper/pet. Maybe 150 cases of bulky, but mostly light poo poo? Hupping 50 lb bags of pet food onto the bottom shelf is ez mode compared to trying to throw 55 cases an hour of canned food. 48 cans of tomato paste is supposed to be thrown in the same amount of time as 4 packages of paper towels!

That place really turned me into the cynical, angry, apathetic rear end in a top hat that I am today. I mean working at compUSA for a little while before that had started the process, but when I started working 3rd shift I still naively believed that world was mostly a decent place. The first month or two wasn't even that bad really. There wasn't a night manager, just my direct superior, who was a cool guy with the same goals the rest of us had: To get the gently caress out of the store as soon as possible. With a crew of 5-8 people we would throw 1500-2500 case trucks, face up the grocery, run back stock a few times a week and get out on time.

Then they brought in a "night manager" because no one else who worked in the day wanted to pull an overnight shift twice a month or whatever they had to do. A transfer from another store who was buddy buddy with the district management, it was inevitable that he would turn the department into his own little fiefdom and rule it with an iron fist. New performance metrics, super strict enforcement of breaks, same thing with dress code.

Now, anyone who's worked 3rd shift knows that its kind of a different environment compared to normal retail. Night stockers for the most part operate behind the scenes, so they're under appreciated and by default everything is their fault because they aren't there to defend themselves. Before we got a night manager, the dress code was basically wear a work shirt uniform and try not to have too many tears in your jeans. Aprons, nametags, basically optional since they just get in the way. When the night manager appeared, all of that changed. Had to wear black work pants, name tag at all times, same thing for your apron. It took a practical mutiny from everyone on the grocery crew to get him to compromise on the nametags/aprons, but everything else stuck, which sucked hard.

I think "metrics" have to be the worst loving thing about working retail. No matter how hard you work, if you actually do a good job, its basically impossible to live up to the standards they set, and every time you ask for a raise, or to get full time so you can actually afford insurance and get PTO, etc they point to your "metrics" as a reason why you don't deserve it.

Bullshit performance reviews where your manager tells you that he's going to mark your scores lower so that "there's room for improvement on your next review" when you know its a bald faced lie so that they don't have to give you a raise. There's nothing you can do about it, and if you bitch about it, you soon find yourself out of a job.

Then there's the mysterious way that your overtime drops from 50-52 hours a week to 47-48 hours during the busy season (because they'll never hire in extra help to cope with September to January). Nothing you can do about that either, because its he-said she-said with the management and they all have eachother's asses and you don't have any proof to go the state authorities with. Our lead supervisor (a ten year vet of that place) wrote down the time he clocked in and out every day so he would have proof that they were shaving his hours.

The night before a corporate visit is probably the worst night to work when you're stocker. If everything isn't absolutely loving perfect, the entire crew gets bitched out by everyone in store management for "letting the store down". Most of the other people who I worked with were indifferent facers at best. Standard policy was to bring at least 2 rows of product to the front, have all the labels turned forward, make them in a reasonably straight line, etc. For half of the people that I worked with, it was a good day if they brought 1 row forward. Labels, who gives a gently caress what direction they're in! It got so bad at one point before corporate visits, I would throw the can aisle as fast as I possibly could, say gently caress backstock and start facing stuff the right way. I would end up 5 or 6 aisles behind everyone else, and when I finally caught up to them at the end, everyone would say, "where the gently caress were you when we were facing!" It's pretty hard to avoid sounding like a smug douchebag when you say "fixing your collective facing mistakes so we can get home before 11 am", but by that point I really didn't give a gently caress.

The final straw to me quitting 3rd shift and retail all together (besides a messy breakup, never date someone you work with for christ sakes), the straw that broke the camel's back was the retarded policy on MP3 players. Our store played a horrible pop/light rock mix that consisted of a lot of Celine Dion, Air Supply, etc. Basically music that 60 year old women listen to. After about a week of it grating on my nerves, I brought in my ipod and I was able to work in relative bliss. Soon after the night manager was hired, there was a "no MP3 player" policy instituted, and despite everyone's pleas to revoke the policy, or at least change the god drat soundtrack at night when there was literally no customers in the store, it remained. The issue cited was "safety and customer service" which is retarded because we had two deaf people working with us. No compromise.

So I had go on the sly because there was no loving way I could deal with that music all night. I grew my hair out to cover my ears, I would wear one earbud in so that I could hear if the manager was around so he wouldn't catch me, etc. The second time I got written up for "insubordination" and "poor customer service", I quit. It seems like such a trivial thing to just walk out on a job for, but I just couldn't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of great memories of working there (getting wasted at work on Christmas Eve; making out with the cute chick in the meat cooler that worked in homeside 3rd shift), and friends that I still hang out with, but that place broke me. By the end of my time there I was so stressed out about poo poo that I would have to go in to the salvage trailer, shut the door and just scream myself horse for 15 minutes so I wouldn't physically hurt someone/something.

e: holy gently caress :words: tl;dr don't work 3rd shift retail unless you're a masocist.

ladymikochan
Mar 15, 2006

rscott- I feel your pain man. When I worked in Ross in the fitting room I hid the hell out of my MP3 Player. Since I had to wear a headset, I'd put one bud in my ear with the headset bub in it and hide that poo poo up in my hair. I had black hair so the cord was not that visible. I'd then run the Mp3 wires down my shirt down my back and twist em up with the headset wires. Worked out pretty good, since I restricted my listening to audio-books and radio shows I could actually hear what was going on.

Now, however, I have to listen to whatever the radio station is playing on our boomboxes. Not a problem, usually but if the station is playing the same loving song over and over again or the station gets turned to country (our store manager likes it). Then it is all. . . ::suicide::

Other than that, no real complaints since we've switched over to NFL coverage on our TVs rather than have Avatar playing over and over and over.... ::Smith-unsmith-suicide!::

Franko
Apr 25, 2007
I'll share my story of the other week (I saw the ad)

I'm a shoe repairer/cobbler by trade in the Melbourne AU area but also do things like key cutting engraving ect (no I do not work for one of the large national corps who do this). Anyhow shoe repairs is a strange beast as any job you think might be only be 5 mins (which a lot are) can blow out to a half day affair due to the way shoes and boots are made/designed and materials used. Anyhow..

One evening about 5 mins before close (as in I get the gently caress out of the shop) a woman comes in asking if I can replace the bottoms on her stiletto heels, this is usually a 2 min job so I say sure, hoping like gently caress its only a 2 min job and I can get out and still make my train. So the lady drops her shoes off and I tell her that we close in 5 mins so if she wants the shoes tonight come back before then to which she says ok and goes off to do her shopping. Needless to say after removing her old heels it looks like this is going to be a longer job than first though and I probably wont be able to do it that night, I work like buggery to fix them anyway but its clear that I need more time and that I'm not going to finish the job tonight. When she comes back the following conversation takes place (Keep in mind most of the other local cobblers will ask for a couple of days for any repairs AT LEAST):

Franko: I'm sorry madam the job is going to take longer than I thought you can pick them up tomorrow morning at 8.30am if you like
Her: Excuse me?
F: Yeah its not as straight forward as first looks I wont be able to finish them tonight you can pick them first thing tomorrow
H: Cant you please fix them tonight?
F: Sorry its already past close I need to leave I cant stay back (going out for a dinner had to make the train)
H: But its usually a 2 min job do them tonight!
F: Most times these jobs are, but not these ones and I need to leave.
H: Just do them tonight! Why cant you do it now??
F: Because you brought them in 5 mins before close, you had 9 hours in which to bring them in and you waited until 5 min before close?
H: Just do it I cant wait tomorrow
F: I'm telling you I need to leave, now.
H: Just do it

Growing tired of this roundabout conversation I stop working on her shoes and just hand them back in the unfinished state

F: I'm not finishing them tonight perhaps you can find someone else who will (knowing everyone else is closed and wouldn't be able to even if they were open).
H: gently caress you Motherfucker
F: gently caress me? gently caress you and get the gently caress out of my shop.

She leaves in a great big huff and I've lost a customer apparently, seriously why do people think I care when someone is never coming back to a shop after they behave like a crazy bitch. I also missed my train.

This is the most recent of stories involving customers behaving badly, 90% of them involve women and shoes because women are crazy when it comes to their shoes.

Doomie
Mar 24, 2010
Hello, so I work at a Marshalls and we recently got a new manager to do our schedule's. She is so bad, withing the last three weeks she has had my friend set up to work shifts while he's in class and I've had to cover for him and three times now she has modified my schedule without telling me (which she is required by company policy to do) so I get called and informed i'm supposed to be working and I'm now late and I get chewed out when it's not my fault. On top of all this she normally doesn't have next weeks schedule out until thursday or friday evening.

Joonami
Oct 23, 2005

Swim this way
We'll dance and we'll play
Now, it's very easy
Come on in
Just take a chance and shake a fin~

ladymikochan posted:

Other than that, no real complaints since we've switched over to NFL coverage on our TVs rather than have Avatar playing over and over and over.... ::Smith-unsmith-suicide!::

Sounds like you work at an hhgregg. the entire 2 months I was there until I got laid off because they overhired for grand opening, that's all that was on all those beautiful god damned tvs. And then there was the last scene from drum line playing in the audio demo center, and there was one TV in the back replaying the same scene from Sherlock Holmes all day. Now I can't stand to look at the actor who was the main character in Avatar, and I poo poo you not that stupid scene from drumline played in my dreams for a few days. :(

About the mp3 player thing, when I worked at petco I would listen to it while opening the animals before the store opened and while facing the store after we closed, primarily the canned cat food. I can't believe how many people feed their cats that poo poo, and I really hate it when they get 18 cases of it and they mix and match and make a mess of the cat food department and they won't take it out of their cart and then they write a check. You could at least have most of the check filled out before you make it to the register! Good god.

I just started my new job at the Lego store that just opened in my local mall. So far it's been really fun, except for when people think it's so cute to have their kids pay with change from their piggy bank. Go to a loving coinstar before you bring a literal bucket of change to my cash register. At least today (the saturday of our grand opening weekend with lines out the door no less) it was "only" $6 in coins. I'm a huge fan of my management and coworkers and I get paid every week. My only complaint is I'm getting about half the hours I'm asking for. My manager did say that he'd be letting a few people go after grand opening, so that should open up some hours they can float my way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AlmightyBob posted:

Yesterday someone ordered 10 bottles of prune juice, 3 enemas, toilet paper, and an air freshener.

My first day at Rite Aid someone bought an enema kit, two things of mineral water for it, and hemorrhoid suppositories

Also, is this where I talk about my semi-brief stint working night shift in an "internet cafe" that really was for playing slots in rural NC? Because that was a hoot and a half.

At least towards the end business plummeted and I got to spend eight hours watching TV Land instead of busting my rear end dealing with drunks. The absolute worst though was the morning that I got a call at 6:55 from my manager, telling me the girl who came in after me had quit, so I had to find someone else to come in or work both shifts, after I had already been up for a solid day.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 3, 2010

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Doomie posted:

Hello, so I work at a Marshalls and we recently got a new manager to do our schedule's. She is so bad, withing the last three weeks she has had my friend set up to work shifts while he's in class and I've had to cover for him and three times now she has modified my schedule without telling me (which she is required by company policy to do) so I get called and informed i'm supposed to be working and I'm now late and I get chewed out when it's not my fault. On top of all this she normally doesn't have next weeks schedule out until thursday or friday evening.

Hi, you must have my manager's sister! We used to have three really cool managers at our store, but one transferred and another retired(But they still both come in from time to time, because they're awesome), so we got two new managers who could probably combine and form one slightly competent person. One is an older guy who is really, really nice, just slow, and he's been in the hospital for like a month now so I feel bad talking poo poo about the guy.

The other is the biggest pain in my rear end right now. She's incredibly lazy. She'll take hour long lunch breaks, or she'll go to the bank, take about 45 minutes, then come back and take another 40 for her lunch. You can imagine how much this endears her to all of us part-timers. Recently she's been dicking up the schedules, too. I've been working full-time hours..actually, next week, I am working more hours than two of the full-time employees. She's been scheduling us to work on days we've requested off, or on days when we have class. She is actually the entire reason I am looking for another job. I just want steady loving hours goddamnit, stop loving with mine!!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dickeye posted:

At least towards the end business plummeted and I got to spend eight hours watching TV Land instead of busting my rear end dealing with drunks. The absolute worst though was the morning that I got a call at 6:55 from my manager, telling me the girl who came in after me had quit, so I had to find someone else to come in or work both shifts, after I had already been up for a solid day.

That is such a dick move. HE is the manager, HE should find someone else. :argh:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Here's my bitch about retail:
Retail stores raise the expectations that customers have of all businesses. This includes:
- Tech support companies
- Utility companies
- Pubs/Restaurants
(you get the idea.)

I'm not too sure about anywhere else, but here in Australia the law is that you can return something if it's faulty, if it's nothing like samples/display models you were shown or if it doesn't do what the salesperson said. Of course, major retailers and supermarkets like to pull the 'we will refund anything and everything' card to ensure customers will come back to their business. Which obviously leads to situations where the customer believes that they're entitled to more than they actually are.

There is a simple solution to this: major retailers start refusing to return something simply because it 'was the wrong colour' or 'I made the wrong choice'. Maybe then we'll get nicer customers and an better environment for the staff of sales-related companies.

A conversation I sometimes have with customers:
:byodood: I want to return this modem!
:j: Is there a fault with it?
:byodood: Well it doesn't do wireless and [brand] does for the same price I paid you!
:j: Those details were included on the online application, and you seemed to have filled it out. We even configured it for you for your connection and delivered it for free.
:byodood: WELL I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE.
:j: You're not entitled to a refund simply because you made a wrong selection. We informed you at the time that you could either buy one from us preconfigured for your connection directly, or get one from a third party and go through setup with us by calling.
:byodood: I WANNA TALK TO A MANAGER
:j: *put :byodood: on hold, explains to provisioning manager, patch customer through to manager, she says no, end of story*

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

froglet posted:

:words:

I've had similar experiences to yours only with the difference being that my manager was a pussy.

:byodood: I WANNA TALK TO A MANAGER
:v: *put :byodood: on hold, explains to provisioning manager, patch customer through to manager, he says yes, end of story*

Dammit! :argh:

sunpocket
Dec 30, 2003

I started working as a cashier for Kmart two months ago and I really haven't had that many terrible experiences, just weird ones. Today a lady came in and I asked her if she had her rewards card. She said she DIDN'T want one and would NEVER get one because she HATES Kmart and she knows a manager here PERSONALLY and doesn't like her or something and it SOURS her otherwise wonderful Kmart experience and that she ONLY EVER shops at Kmart if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary. Okay, sheesh.

She then buys $115 worth of men's Joe Boxer XXXXXL sweatpants and hoodies. There is a Walmart literally across the street that sells perfectly decent sweat-wear.

She was actually pretty civil aside from her little tirade so whatever. :shobon:

sunpocket fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 3, 2010

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Normalman posted:

My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time...

Oh yeah, I share your pain. The story I have is this one time, these two guys came into my store (not a Gamestop) to trade in some games. By "some games", I mean two shopping bags full of them.

All the games were shrink-wrapped and some even still had price tags on them. It was a complete random assortment: not the collection of someone who just sold their system. There were Wii shovelware casual titles mixed in with hardcore RTS titles. Basically it just looked like these two guys raided a WalMart bargain bin and stuffed the games into their bags. It was shady as all hell, but there was nothing we could do about it because our only policy at the time was "no more than 2 of an identical game for a trade". Plus, our manager at the time was a control-freak who unironically believed the "customer is always right" and treated staff like expendable cogs in a machine designed to generate revenue numbers.

All we could do at the time was get them on camera and if they got busted then we had evidence.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
nvm, bad idea

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 4, 2010

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

:stuff:

I used to buy them for cash for myself when I worked at EB. My store would take anything and everything so I figured I would just cut out the middle man.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

rscott posted:

Heh, when I did 3rd shift stocking, I would have given anything to throw paper/pet. Maybe 150 cases of bulky, but mostly light poo poo? Hupping 50 lb bags of pet food onto the bottom shelf is ez mode compared to trying to throw 55 cases an hour of canned food. 48 cans of tomato paste is supposed to be thrown in the same amount of time as 4 packages of paper towels!

My worst work experiences (ice cream shop) usually revolved around stocking. The product was shipped in dead weight cardboard boxes, dumped by the back door, only lasted about 10 minutes outside of a freezer before melting and immediately leaking. I was one of the few male workers, guess who had to run back and forth inside a freezer for an hour every week?

My boss got cheap during the winter and started scheduling one-person shifts during dead hours. Trying to stock boxes while serving customers was actually impossible so customers would end up shouting and the ice cream would melt. My only free will was choosing how to gently caress up and who to piss off, there was no doing it right/well.

I made good money and smoked weed all day but the fun got sucked out of it when I became a manager and had to babysit a bunch of high school kids barely younger then me. There was a ton of drama and the lack of oversight above me turned into a bad thing really fast, which is how I eventually lost that job.

That turned out to be a good thing in the end, it was an excellent reason to Never Work Retail Ever Again, it pushed me to transfer to a better college and refocus on school.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
I just started working retail on Saturday. Please take this in the nicest way possible, but I hope this is the only time I have to post in this thread. :)

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

I just started working retail on Saturday. Please take this in the nicest way possible, but I hope this is the only time I have to post in this thread. :)

Don't worry, it won't be.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

All your faith in the human race, along with all your hopes and dreams will be crushed before long, don't worry.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
You cannot, of course, defeat the coupon ladies permanently.

They have their weapons as they come up: Armed with fistfuls of coupons (or worse: a folder), they will unsheathe their backup weapon should you protest: A copy of the company's coupon policy, complete with highlighted portions to their advantage. You will know pain as they clog up your register, as a crowd of angry zombies begin to form behind her. You have no backup, no choice but to attempt to validate every single one of those horrid slips of paper, printed on what appears to be old copies of someone's homework. The ravenous crowd behind her will not ever go for her throat - it will always be your fault, your fault, even if the company has cut hours for everyone and even if the coupon lady has about 20 more coupons to go. Your attempts of protest - I'm sorry, ma'am, but I can't take this coupon, for the coupon says "one per customer" - will be met with a shaking fist and an angry final weapon - I will call corporate and ask!

And they will come back next time with a gift card that corporate gave them as an apology. And more coupons.

There is no joy. You cannot win.

But you can go down with a fight.

You must be subtle, of course. But not mere passive-aggressive subtle.

No, your subtlety, in this case, is being the loudest, nicest bastard possible. Your weapon is insanity, raving lunacy, the most extreme form of :buddy:. Your words must be faster than the average auctioneer, with the ability to confuse and cut off those harpies. Merely rolling your words together is not enough - be loud. Be sarcastically happy. Your words must drip with as much sarcasm as possible: They will not be expecting this. Ask, in your loudest, sarcastically happiest voice possible, for them to pass you their coupons - Just have to check them all, ma'am, company policy! Should you find an unacceptable coupon: Oh, I'm terribly sorry ma'am! I can't accept this coupon for whatever reason! Oh, and not this one either! But don't worry, we'll put these items back for you, of course we will, of course it won't be a problem! Don't worry, we'll put everything else back since you can't use your "Get $3 off a $15 purchase" coupon now! Oh, so sorry! You know, I would love to take this coupon, really I would, but then I'd be fired! You wouldn't want that, would you?

They never expect this. I do mean never. They will be stunned (Everyone else will be amused.) Eventually, they will smile sheepishly and leave as they suddenly have somewhere else to be. They cannot fight you either - what can they do, complain that you were too nice? (Be sure to drop the act when they leave immediately, even if it's mid-stride to the next customer.)

You will end up with a ton of go-backs, but eventually, you might end up lucky and they'll never come to your register again. Heck, maybe if you're lucky, they'll be too scared of you to come back.

Company policy states that I have to accept their coupons if it's acceptable according to the policy.

Company policy never said I had to make it easy for them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Casull posted:

They cannot fight you either - what can they do, complain that you were too nice?

"Your employee was patronizing me in front of the entire community! I'm shocked an establishment such as yours would employ such a rude cashier, I feel harassed and embarrassed, and I demand they be fired!"

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!
I work at a large grocery store, and until the weather goes bad we have bins of produce outside/against the store, inbetween the entrance and exit.

(Customer):confused: Do you have any pineapples?
(Me):v: Yup, sorry looks like they're all outside though, none in here.
:confused: So there are none in here?
:v: Nope, only outside, sorry.
:confused: Well, how do I get one then?
:v: ...
:confused: ...
:v: What?
:confused: How do I get a pineapple?
:v: ...
:confused: ...
:v: I don't... know what you mean
:confused: I want a pineapple, how do I get one?
:v: ... walk... outside?
:confused: You mean I have to walk all the way back outside to get a pineapple?
:v: *looks over her shoulder, stares at the entrance that's no more than a 5 second walk away*...yeah...

And those ellipses aren't added for comedic effect for your reading pleasure, each time we were standing there staring at eachother for a good 4 seconds or so

Bonus story: My brother works for a shipping company and was once asked if he could ship something to Hawaii by land.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hietala posted:

Bonus story: My brother works for a shipping company and was once asked if he could ship something to Hawaii by land.

:v: Yes, we can ship that cabinet to Hawaii by land, no problem, let me just crunch the numbers here... OK, does Wednesday the 7th work out for you?
:confused: Wednesday the 6th you mean? Sure.
:v: No, the 7th, as in June 2023... Construction, you see. Your total today will be 73.5 billion dollars, will that be cash or credit?

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

baquerd posted:

:v: Yes, we can ship that cabinet to Hawaii by land, no problem, let me just crunch the numbers here... OK, does Wednesday the 7th work out for you?
:confused: Wednesday the 6th you mean? Sure.
:v: No, the 7th, as in June 2023... Construction, you see. Your total today will be 73.5 billion dollars, will that be cash or credit?

"Your employee was patronizing me in front of the entire community! I'm shocked an establishment such as yours would employ such a rude cashier, I feel harassed and embarrassed, and I demand they be fired!"

Sorry, couldn't help myself :shobon:

(Axeface I am not; drat, I miss that guy.)

ladymikochan
Mar 15, 2006

Joonami posted:

Sounds like you work at an hhgregg. the entire 2 months I was there until I got laid off because they overhired for grand opening, that's all that was on all those beautiful god damned tvs. And then there was the last scene from drum line playing in the audio demo center, and there was one TV in the back replaying the same scene from Sherlock Holmes all day. Now I can't stand to look at the actor who was the main character in Avatar, and I poo poo you not that stupid scene from drumline played in my dreams for a few days. :(

Guilty as charged. They kept me and I got full time after one of the other cashiers went sales. I think we had the same demo on our TVs-the one with drumline. Yeah great for showing out the sound systems, not good for your sanity. Right now we got NFL on most of them, but over on the big 3D TV we run the same demo over and over again. Shows only two good movies Tron Legacy-looks good, and Despicable Me-looks funny. But the same scenes over and over again. And it's a big 3D you can't miss it.

We had something very funny but also not so funny happen yesterday. This old asian man get sent in to return a GPS. This poor guy gets sent in by his relatives-who speak good English, whenever they want to buy/return something. They've bought a lot of stuff but this would be only the second thing they brought back. This poor old guy speaks virtually no english and I get the point that he does not want the GPS. Of course we got to ask him why.

It takes me and another sales person to figure out that he does not want it-or rather the kids don't want it because it does not come with all the accessories in the booklet-he wanted the bike mount-probably for food delivery. So I go ahead and start processing the return and when it comes time to tell him since he paid over 100.00 in cash I can't give him all the money back. Somehow, he understand the part "You are not going to get all your money back." And he gets little peeved.

It then takes me, another cashier and my manager to figure out what is going on here. No, he won't take 100.00 cash and a check, and no he does not want a whole check. I quote,

"I pay the money, you give me the money."

Eventually he apparently decides to keep it but hangs around at the register because he does not know if he needs to do anything. Of course this confuses us since we think he still wants us to do something. Once again, it takes three of us to get him to understand that he can go. Funny, he got the part about not getting all his money back.

Seriously though, these kids got to stop treating the poor old guy like some kind of carrier pidgon. Come in yourself once and a while you drat kids!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Did the GPS cost $205?

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 5, 2010

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

The Robins Taley posted:

Come on. I think maybe people think bleach is more harmful than it really is. They put bleach in swimming pools and drinking water. Such a small amount, even for an infant, is not harmful.

Also, I didn't open up the store for lawsuits. I'm just a lowly retail drone working the register. The decision to put items back in shelves doesn't involve me.

I'm not buying groceries that have had any amount of bleach dripped on them from a product that was busted. Why would you even expect them to? :psyduck:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

baquerd posted:

Yup. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. Oh the joys of service industries, technical and retail alike. *sigh*

ladymikochan
Mar 15, 2006

devmd01 posted:

Did the GPS cost $205?

Nope 130.00. So he would have to get back 100.00 cash and 30 in a check. That would not fly.

Well we may be losing another sales manager. That makes 3 so far. One got transferred because we and the customers hated him, the second got a government job, can't blame him there and the last guy, he seems to be at the end of his rope. I overheard him talking about looking for another job. I've heard of high turnover but 3 sales managers in only 6 months? Yeah, something wrong here.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

ladymikochan posted:

Nope 130.00. So he would have to get back 100.00 cash and 30 in a check. That would not fly.

Yeah, I was talking with my ex who I broke up with 8 years ago and she's purchased 52 items from hh gregg since then. She's never had a problem with returns there or at any store, as long as the return policies are clearly stated. Do they print on the receipt? Then again, the old guy probably couldn't even read english. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Deer hunters are loving morons.
I realize this is a sweeping generalization but I do not care anymore.
At this point in my life I have dealt with an uncountable number of hunters, a number somewhere in the thousands.
I don't care if there are non-moron deer hunters in the world. At this point it has become like saying "a cobra bite will loving kill you", true, not every person bitten by a cobra dies, but enough do that it's okay to say "a cobra bite will loving kill you."