Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

They still play songs on the radio, I thought it was all commercials now

I mean I guess I could put it on talk radio so we can listen to Dave Ramsey for a good few hours and before that whatever Republican talking head is on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Local classical stations are my go-to for no-ads listening if bluetooth isn't an option for some reason - at most there's a quick sponsorship reminder from the host or a five minute newsbreak, and then it's back to Bach lol or Vivaldi or whatever (unless it's station fundraising season again)

anyway your manager sounds like a pain in the rear end, and I assume he will act just as surprised and/or offended by your masking next check ride

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This past Sunday, a customer threw a complete bitchfit about the restroom (I was helping two blind ladies find stuff) and in the time it took him to storm up to the front to demand a manager the person came out of the bathroom.
While I was helping the women, he came up and said he needed to use the restroom so I went back there and I assumed he was following me since he had to go so bad.

There was a woman waiting literally right next to the restroom door so when I opened it, thinking he was right behind me and thinking that maybe he was asking for her (this happens a lot), she slipped right in.
He starts cussing me out, saying I disrespected him and that I had an attitude and all this loving bullshit and storms up to the front to find a manager.

Once he came back with the MOD, the lady was already gone and when the MOD said "Oh you can go now, good news," he started in on how I had an attitude and how I was disrespectful and how he was this close to fighting me and how now he didn't even need the restroom now, it was the principle. And I went to take my lunch (several hours later than I should've).

And the MOD came in on my lunch and is all "I explained it to him and he apologized". No gently caress him I don't accept his apology and i don't want to loving see his face on my shift again. (Note: I did not get an actual face-to-face apology just the MOD saying he apologized.)

I'm so goddamn tired of these customers throwing pissy little tantrums over our restroom.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of restroom....at one of our stops today at the home office, manager said he needed to check something in his office. Okay sure, I did the pickup and waited. And waited. And then two employees came over to ask how my check ride was going, where my manager was; when I said his office, they both looked horrified and cried "No, he's in the restroom!"

Apparently if he's by the home office, at this time, every time, he goes to the restroom. And, to use their words, demolishes it.

He was gone for 20 loving minutes. Now I didn't ask him anything. But apparently everyone in the home office knows this. And no one uses the men restroom after he is there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Work finally scraped enough people willing to do them together, me being one of them, to start doing weekend overnights again. 3 weeks later those 3 people who agreed to do them aren't being scheduled on both the weekend overnights any more. They also haven't bothered changing our opening hours in the national system so the automated outside lights and menu screens all turn off at 11pm and as a result everyone driving by just assumes we're closed.

Can't imagine why we're not making any money on these overnights.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just when I thought I could escape I get dragged back in. When the background check clears that is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzrB-lo9k8

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

njsykora posted:

Work finally scraped enough people willing to do them together, me being one of them, to start doing weekend overnights again. 3 weeks later those 3 people who agreed to do them aren't being scheduled on both the weekend overnights any more. They also haven't bothered changing our opening hours in the national system so the automated outside lights and menu screens all turn off at 11pm and as a result everyone driving by just assumes we're closed.

Can't imagine why we're not making any money on these overnights.

This seems like your cue to sit around inside at night when you're scheduled for it getting paid to browse stuff on your phone and laptop while maybe doing a bit of cleaning and other clerical work.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I would love to work with no customers, I actually changed my schedule to get into work 2 hours before we open just to get some stocking done without being pulled aside by customers. Give me a messy store, some podcasts, and no one else to bug me and I will be in auDHD heaven facing those shelves and working the back room.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Retail Thread: I would love to work with no customers

Strong synergy with the corpothread

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I mean I think that's just most jobs these days.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW9BFI1ii40

This movie gave young me the wrong idea about retail work

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The last three weeks have been CDL training which is, let's be honest, training people to pass the test to get their Class-A license. Amazon's paying for this and we're on the clock which is nice. Of the 7 of us, this one woman has been a pile of anxiety and they really haven't let her do too much backing practice until the last week, and only took her out on the road once (which she did amazing on btw) because she's having trouble with the pre-trip inspection test. Mainly because the pre-trip is the first thing the examiners test you on and if you don't pass it, you don't do the backing or on the road tests.

Anyways, she's finally calming down and relaxing and we're teaching her how to parallel park with a 53 foot trailer when we go to lunch and everything just goes to poo poo.

When she stops at Walmart to grab a bite to eat and a folding chair to sit on, some road raging rear end in a top hat decides to pull a gun on her because she had the gall to stop for pedestrians near the door and block him from speeding through the parking lot. "Good" news: while her car was in a camera blindspot his car was picked up by two cameras: one picked him screeching to a halt and caught his plate, the other caught him pulling a gun and pointing it at someone. There were apparently several people around calling the cops and basically giving a live play by play of this rear end in a top hat threatening some middle aged church lady, telling her to move her car because she "might cause a crash" when she stopped for pedestrians. Actually good news: jackass didn't actually shoot.

So local police already had him arrested at his apartment while the responding unit tried to help her calm down and took her statement. Yes she is charging him.

Obviously she was like an hour late back from break an absolute traumatized wreck and it was horrible watching her. She'd gone from finally relaxing and figuring things out to a complete wreck for understandable reasons and the instructor sent her home because it was clear she was in a headspace that really needed to be at home, recovering. I really hope the instructors can talk Amazon into scheduling her out there a few more times for extra training because that feels like the sort of thing that might set back her progress conquering her anxiety.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Jfc, I can imagine that hosed her up but good. I’ve still got some PTSD from being robbed at gunpoint almost two years ago at work, and I’m a big dude with a temper and kitchen skin.

Even writing this post is making my hands shake a bit.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, I started the day fighting to not look at the clock/count the hours. Ended the day just kind of going through the motions in a haze after I found out about that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Jesus gently caress I've had some bad customers but no one ever pointed a gun at me.

worst I ever had was chilling in my locked van, waiting for a place to open, and a crackhead slowly came around my van and tried every door while I freaked out and debated about driving off.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Cowslips Warren posted:

Jesus gently caress I've had some bad customers but no one ever pointed a gun at me.

worst I ever had was chilling in my locked van, waiting for a place to open, and a crackhead slowly came around my van and tried every door while I freaked out and debated about driving off.

wtf, how did that one end?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wizard2 posted:

wtf, how did that one end?

Anti climacticly. I pretty much just sat in the van with my dispatch listening while this guy tried to open each of the doors, including the driver side door, before he gave up and wandered off. As far as I know, nothing was ever done about it, and we still delivered to that location for another few years, just with a slight warning to make sure your doors were always locked.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Coasterphreak posted:

Jfc, I can imagine that hosed her up but good. I’ve still got some PTSD from being robbed at gunpoint almost two years ago at work, and I’m a big dude with a temper and kitchen skin.

Even writing this post is making my hands shake a bit.

Like, at least armed robbery makes some sort of actual sense as a thing a person might do, armed car park administration is loving ludicrous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
e: wrong thread :downsgun:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Something is up with our manager; he usually sends us our safety scores every week, and emails about various corporate poo poo.

Nothing for three weeks. He was already rarely in the office, but he's in maybe 1-2 days a week now, and isn't talking to anyone.

This ought to be good.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You're getting reassigned to Singapore.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Remember that your commute time doesn't count towards your hours.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So far the theories are that they are disbanded CPUD and tossing our dispatch software, and all of dispatch, and the drivers will be assigned certain areas to cover, like in the old days of 15 some years ago. Your payroll came from store hours, you covered only certain stores, and you got your "route" by carrying a work cell phone that the stores called you on. A lot more freedom and a lot less tracking on poo poo.

Or they're just closing a bunch of stores. We did have our new district manager out a few weeks ago, and this past week the head VPs of all the loving arms of this cephalopod came out to visit stores and do audits.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cowslips Warren posted:

Or they're just closing a bunch of stores. We did have our new district manager out a few weeks ago, and this past week the head VPs of all the loving arms of this cephalopod came out to visit stores and do audits.

My condolences, closing stores sounds a lot more likely than giving workers any freedom.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, lol at the very notion that "a lot more freedom and a lot less tracking on poo poo" would ever, ever happen in a bigcorp.

It's closures and/or more reduction in staffing and more relentlessly micromanaged work dumped on the few like Cowslips who refuse to quit.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Finished orientation yesterday. I get 21/hr though it isn't full time. But hey, I get to wear shorts and I'm not a sales person :toot:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

hey, shorts and no sales/commission sounds like a dream

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
you’re all going to think I’m weird but my dream is to have some sort of retail/retail adjacent/customer service ish Job where I can wear a suit and tie every day (as long as I have the freedom to wear my own, not like, plain black with a company issued tie)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

you’re all going to think I’m weird but my dream is to have some sort of retail/retail adjacent/customer service ish Job where I can wear a suit and tie every day (as long as I have the freedom to wear my own, not like, plain black with a company issued tie)

I have bad news

You want to be a real estate agent.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HazCat posted:

I have bad news

You want to be a real estate agent.

Property isn’t in a downturn in Aus like it is in the US but I’m not sure it’s a career path I particularly want. Taking prospective buyers around houses/creating listings would be fine but I don’t like the idea of having to work for commission, having to constantly hustle to attract clients to have me sell their houses. My cousin is a real estate agent and it always seems like you need to have a touch of the psychopath about you to do well.

I was thinking more along the lines of ‘working in a luxury shoe/menswear store’ or being a receptionist somewhere super swanky.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Property isn’t in a downturn in Aus like it is in the US but I’m not sure it’s a career path I particularly want. Taking prospective buyers around houses/creating listings would be fine but I don’t like the idea of having to work for commission, having to constantly hustle to attract clients to have me sell their houses. My cousin is a real estate agent and it always seems like you need to have a touch of the psychopath about you to do well.

I was thinking more along the lines of ‘working in a luxury shoe/menswear store’ or being a receptionist somewhere super swanky.

I was mostly making a joke because I don't think the job you want really exists in retail anymore, but admittedly I did completely forget that retail stores that cater to aspirational middle-class people still exist.

You'd absolutely need a touch of the psychopath to want to deal with that clientele all day, though :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I just can't parse someone who WANTS to wear a suit and tie.

Like gimme a retail/service job where I can wear a hoodie and not stress about appearances, please.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A decent suit makes you look good, is comfortable and warm and isn't appreciably more effort to wear than anything else. Especially these days when going without a tie is perfectly acceptable basically everywhere. The main downside is cost and having to iron a shirt.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

HazCat posted:

You'd absolutely need a touch of the psychopath to want to deal with that clientele all day, though :v:

It’s been my observation that people behave very differently in stores that they look forward to visiting, because it’s related to a hobby, or something pleasurable (like buying a really nice pair of shoes) than they do when visiting stores that they view as a chore (grocery stores, regular department stores)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

A decent suit makes you look good, is comfortable and warm and isn't appreciably more effort to wear than anything else. Especially these days when going without a tie is perfectly acceptable basically everywhere. The main downside is cost and having to iron a shirt.

Absolutely this. The advent of cheap, mass produced garments have largely made us collectively forget the true worth of good tailoring, and how good quality clothes are actually supposed to look and feel. A properly made suit isn’t uncomfortable or restrictive or stuffy at all; people have just been fooled into thinking nice clothes = discomfort because their experience of them is walking into a department store and buying a $300 polyester blend piece of poo poo with a glued interlining.

I made the decision some time ago that I wasn’t going to buy off the rack clothing or shoes any more. Everything I wear now aside from my underwear and my work uniform is bespoke or made to measure; and it is absolutely astonishing how much better I look and feel wearing it; and how much longer it lasts.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

And here we arrive, as we so often do, at the Sam Vimes "boots" theory of economic inequity.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

And here we arrive, as we so often do, at the Sam Vimes "boots" theory of economic inequity.

Yeah this is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. The fast fashion industry is so insidious. People have been trained into thinking that clothing should be really cheap; and then they end up buying far more clothing than they actually need, chasing short term fashion trends, and you end up with a situation where someone has 20 shirts but they only last a year and they end up sending a bunch of clothes to landfill - I read in the paper recently that Australians send 11kg of clothing per person to landfill each year; which absolutely horrified me.

And it’s doubly monstrous because it’s all built on the backs of horrifically exploited borderline slave labor in impoverished countries; while at the same time it’s basically forced out all the traditional tailoring - when my granddad was my age, if you wanted clothing, you had to go to a tailor; but there were tailors everywhere and so although clothing was a higher proportion of everyone’s expenses back then it was still relatively affordable. Now most of the tailors are gone and so traditional tailoring is priced out of the reach of many people (although it’s making a comeback; and it’s not as unattainable as people might think)

for going out of the house purposes; I own 4 casual shirts, 2 formal shirts and 3 pairs of trousers for winter time, and about the same for summer time. Plus a suit, a cardigan, a sweater and a sports jacket. That’s it. Half a dozen pairs of shoes. Plus work stuff and some older strictly at home only clothing. A decent pair of shoes might cost a lot up front, but they’ll last 20 years if you look after them. I have shirts that are 15 years old and still look good enough to wear out. When I eventually get rid of things, they’re in good enough condition that they go to op shops rather than landfill, and they end up getting a second life.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah this is something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately. The fast fashion industry is so insidious. People have been trained into thinking that clothing should be really cheap; and then they end up buying far more clothing than they actually need, chasing short term fashion trends, and you end up with a situation where someone has 20 shirts but they only last a year and they end up sending a bunch of clothes to landfill - I read in the paper recently that Australians send 11kg of clothing per person to landfill each year; which absolutely horrified me.

And it’s doubly monstrous because it’s all built on the backs of horrifically exploited borderline slave labor in impoverished countries; while at the same time it’s basically forced out all the traditional tailoring - when my granddad was my age, if you wanted clothing, you had to go to a tailor; but there were tailors everywhere and so although clothing was a higher proportion of everyone’s expenses back then it was still relatively affordable. Now most of the tailors are gone and so traditional tailoring is priced out of the reach of many people (although it’s making a comeback; and it’s not as unattainable as people might think)

for going out of the house purposes; I own 4 casual shirts, 2 formal shirts and 3 pairs of trousers for winter time, and about the same for summer time. Plus a suit, a cardigan, a sweater and a sports jacket. That’s it. Half a dozen pairs of shoes. Plus work stuff and some older strictly at home only clothing. A decent pair of shoes might cost a lot up front, but they’ll last 20 years if you look after them. I have shirts that are 15 years old and still look good enough to wear out. When I eventually get rid of things, they’re in good enough condition that they go to op shops rather than landfill, and they end up getting a second life.

Yeah, the race to the bottom for clothing prices has benefited only the people running the companies churning it out. The people making it are paid a pittance and the people buying it wind up spending more money over time for worse stuff. :capitalism:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

The other offshoot of this, at least where I live, is you can get good clothes dirt cheap at thrift stores in January/February, after people dump all of Last Year's clothes to make space for new ones. Often they've been worn like three times max. If you find really good stuff you then take it to a tailor.

Actual suits last a long time if you take care of them, but taking care of them isn't free; you have to pay regularly to have them dry cleaned.

Tailoring really is a cheat code, though. Cheap but tailored clothes look and feel far better than more expensive off-the-rack clothes, for what works out to about the same overall expense. And it's also an extra motivation not to gain weight.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

The other offshoot of this, at least where I live, is you can get good clothes dirt cheap at thrift stores in January/February, after people dump all of Last Year's clothes to make space for new ones. Often they've been worn like three times max. If you find really good stuff you then take it to a tailor.

Actual suits last a long time if you take care of them, but taking care of them isn't free; you have to pay regularly to have them dry cleaned.

Tailoring really is a cheat code, though. Cheap but tailored clothes look and feel far better than more expensive off-the-rack clothes, for what works out to about the same overall expense. And it's also an extra motivation not to gain weight.

Yeah that’s a point I forgot, you can end up paying ridiculous prices buying off the rack clothes and shoes just to have some silly branding on them. So many ‘luxury’ brands sell massively overpriced crap. Real luxury is well made clothes from a tailoring service in natural materials, and they’ll never have gaudy logos and stuff on them.

I visit the menswear thread and there is this company that sells very expensive clothes that sells goddamn lootboxes of random Seconds/returned items/mildly defective items where you’re basically gambling and have no idea what you’ll get.