Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Fil5000 posted:

A decent suit makes you look good, is comfortable and warm and isn't appreciably more effort to wear than anything else. Especially these days when going without a tie is perfectly acceptable basically everywhere. The main downside is cost and having to iron a shirt.

On a hot day, I'm more comfortable in a long-sleeved collared shirt and an undershirt than in just a t-shirt. It keeps the sun off my arms and neck, and the insulating layer keeps hot air out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

The Lord Bude posted:

Absolutely this. The advent of cheap, mass produced garments have largely made us collectively forget the true worth of good tailoring, and how good quality clothes are actually supposed to look and feel. A properly made suit isn’t uncomfortable or restrictive or stuffy at all; people have just been fooled into thinking nice clothes = discomfort because their experience of them is walking into a department store and buying a $300 polyester blend piece of poo poo with a glued interlining.

I made the decision some time ago that I wasn’t going to buy off the rack clothing or shoes any more. Everything I wear now aside from my underwear and my work uniform is bespoke or made to measure; and it is absolutely astonishing how much better I look and feel wearing it; and how much longer it lasts.

I mean it's less about comfort more that I just loathe formal clothes, and also the only people who wear ties and suits are managers.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
for context I run a tiny liquor store as a sole proprietor, sorry I'm kind of The Boss but also the only worker.

A frequent flier of mine disappeared for about nine months after getting seriously hosed up by back surgery and a bunch of other poo poo. He'd been in a bad way for a long time and starting to spiral with his alcohol consumption. but he'd visit with people in the shop here and I had for better or worse ended up as a de facto place for him to stay connected to town. I keep an eye on cutting people off because if nothing else it's a pretty tight knit place and it's incumbent on me as the local poison merchant.

The other day he came back! Waltzed through the door fully mobile and kinda showing off because he could move without pain for the first time in forever, which I was like yay hurray!

Today he came back again! Blew through the door all yammerin like I'm his best friend, talking about his projects or whatever, and IMMEDIATELY drops two hard r n-words, in two different contexts, and a "fuckin mexicans" within 90 seconds of starting to talk my ear off. This is a complete 180 from my experience with him prior and I'm just like welp, whatever good will we had accumulated and really if I'm being honest my concern for your well-being just pretty well poofed.

Whiplash

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
years ago when I worked in the industrial copy center, managers had to wear a suit and loving tie to work. the tie part ended fast when my manager (not a driving one, the plant one) showed some visiting VPs how easy it was to lean over an open copy machine to fix a jam...and your tie gets sucked in. And so do you.

Suit and tie poo poo makes me think of mad men.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ties are completely out of fashion now and can be ignored, but y'all should get a suit and wear it around. Suits are great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just thinking of Justin Timberlake's song Suit and Tie

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ties are completely out of fashion now and can be ignored, but y'all should get a suit and wear it around. Suits are great.

... They are?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

q!=e

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Eric the Mauve posted:

I’m very firmly of the opinion that if you’re going to wear a suit you should be wearing a tie as well. They’re designed to go together and the whole thing just looks wrong otherwise.

That being said, I’m kinda fussy in that regard. I always wear French cuffs with a suit, I like spread collars, and I’d never wear a belt with a suit. And of course I’d always wear oxfords and not derby’s or bluchers.

20 years ago, you’d walk into any grocery store, supermarket, department store in Australia and all the staff were wearing business attire with ties basically. Gradually we all moved to casual button up shirts, then polo shirts.

Our CEO recently had an infamously awful train wreck of an interview on a TV show and one of the things that he got (imo quite rightly) shat on by people for was that he was wearing the uniform polo shirt and a name badge as if he was some random shelf stacker instead of the CEO of one of Australia’s largest companies.

It’s long been a pet theory of mine that there’s a strong correlation between how we dress at work and how customers treat us - as our dress standard has become more casual, abusive behaviour from customers has also risen sharply. I think when people see you in business attire it immediately makes them think of you as a professional to be respected, and when they see you in a company polo it makes them look down on you and see you as inferior.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Lord Bude posted:

Our CEO recently had an infamously awful train wreck of an interview on a TV show and one of the things that he got (imo quite rightly) shat on by people for was that he was wearing the uniform polo shirt and a name badge as if he was some random shelf stacker instead of the CEO of one of Australia’s largest companies.

Disney execs do this too though when they do events in the parks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

njsykora posted:

Disney execs do this too though when they do events in the parks.

Our CEO always seems to be doing it, in any media event, any time he’s visiting stores, any time he’s being filmed for something. I can’t help but find it condescending, this guy has never worked in our company at store level in his life, he was poached from overseas. his job is to be the CEO he should dress professionally.

He’s retiring soon, our incoming CEO started at the company 20 odd years ago stacking shelves, which I view as a huge potential upgrade.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I would personally fear anybody cruel enough to become a company CEO that has a firsthand understanding of the debased life of the prole

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Could someone drop a link to the menswear thread?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Discendo Vox posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522719

I've got the suit thread here, dunno about the overall menswear one. This ones been a bit quiet for a while but when people have questions they get pretty quick responses.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The Lord Bude posted:

I’m very firmly of the opinion that if you’re going to wear a suit you should be wearing a tie as well. They’re designed to go together and the whole thing just looks wrong otherwise.

If you’re carrying a Bren10, you can wear an Armani suit over a t-shirt without a tie.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the general purpose menswear thread, the OP has links to threads covering more specific topics.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519593

To be clear it isn’t classic menswear specific. Personally I’m a huge fan of the gentleman’s gazette youtube channel for classic menswear specific content.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

That being said, I’m kinda fussy in that regard. I always wear French cuffs with a suit, I like spread collars, and I’d never wear a belt with a suit. And of course I’d always wear oxfords and not derby’s or bluchers.

20 years ago, you’d walk into any grocery store, supermarket, department store in Australia and all the staff were wearing business attire with ties basically. Gradually we all moved to casual button up shirts, then polo shirts.

It’s long been a pet theory of mine that there’s a strong correlation between how we dress at work and how customers treat us - as our dress standard has become more casual, abusive behaviour from customers has also risen sharply. I think when people see you in business attire it immediately makes them think of you as a professional to be respected, and when they see you in a company polo it makes them look down on you and see you as inferior.

I love that he carpet bombed that interview so royally he became the ex-CEO. Just *chef's kiss*

Absolutely I despise senior leaders wearing the polo to pretend they're part of the team. You earn the right when you clear some pallets. Stay in your lane.

You're right appearance absolutely changes how customers view and treat you. At Big W with the free dress code if I'm coming straight from my other job where I'll minimum wear dress pants and a collared shirt which throws customers off and makes them assume I'm fairly high on the hierarchy.
They can be even apologetic to interrupt me if I'm dressed up.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

ErKeL posted:

You're right appearance absolutely changes how customers view and treat you. At Big W with the free dress code if I'm coming straight from my other job where I'll minimum wear dress pants and a collared shirt which throws customers off and makes them assume I'm fairly high on the hierarchy.

Eh, back when I was in plain clothes full time doing planograms, customers would almost always be extremely polite and apologetic when interrupting me despite me being in a hoodie or printed tee and leggings.

They also usually seemed to mistake me for a manager, so I think it probably has more to do with bearing than the clothes you're wearing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

When I'm out in some random store wearing a suit customers approach me and start talking to me assuming I'm the manager. Which is pretty dumb since when's the last time you saw a SM in a suit? But even with suits drifting out of fashion in general a lot of people's brains are wired to auto-assume well dressed = important.

Come to think of it, if you're super introverted maybe don't wear suits

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Our uniforms shifted from polo shirts to "we'll give you a new t-shirt every few months" a couple years ago and I could not be happier to have an entire week worth of clean work shirts, plus extra.

I mean they tell us certain shirt designs are supposed to be phased out but it's not like there's any enforcement lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Mcdonalds UK were showcasing a new uniform a few months back that was basically 90s stereotype with an oversized t-shirt and bucket hat no I'm not joking. Apparently the reaction from crew was so negative that they've ditched the idea which saddens me as a person who prefers a bucket hat to a cap.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I like wearing pretty dresses :shobon:

Cowslips Warren posted:

years ago when I worked in the industrial copy center, managers had to wear a suit and loving tie to work. the tie part ended fast when my manager (not a driving one, the plant one) showed some visiting VPs how easy it was to lean over an open copy machine to fix a jam...and your tie gets sucked in. And so do you.

Suit and tie poo poo makes me think of mad men.

Here's some fun for you: They just shut down the CPC here in Boston so now we're getting everything from Teterboro... as an LDR PUD. Driver goes from Teterboro to Hartford, another guy goes from Boston to Hartford, Teterboro driver hands off to Boston driver, Boston Driver then gets it to our store where it is relayed around the city.

Semi-related, the former AM of said CPC is now the AM of my store, and I'm training him on the POS system as he hasn't worked in a store since 2008.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
The price of gas for that has to be loving insane.

Any other CPCs getting the axe?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ErKeL posted:

I love that he carpet bombed that interview so royally he became the ex-CEO. Just *chef's kiss*

This is a fairly common joke we all make but realistically it’s absolutely not true. It’s super unfortunate that his retirement announcement coincided so closely with that interview; but in a major company like ours these things get planned many months in advance - the fact that they had the sucessor named right away speaks to the fact that he’d been planning it for a long time.

I absolutely couldn’t stand him though, from an employee perspective he sent the company downhill in a big way, however much the share price soared.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ErKeL posted:

Absolutely I despise senior leaders wearing the polo to pretend they're part of the team. You earn the right when you clear some pallets. Stay in your lane.

ErKeL posted:

At Big W with the free dress code if I'm coming straight from my other job where I'll minimum wear dress pants and a collared shirt which throws customers off and makes them assume I'm fairly high on the hierarchy.

BigW lets you just wear whatever you want? Maybe I should request a transfer lol. Coming to work in a 3 piece suit might be a bit much though, but maybe I could wear my tweeds.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

njsykora posted:

Mcdonalds UK were showcasing a new uniform a few months back that was basically 90s stereotype with an oversized t-shirt and bucket hat no I'm not joking. Apparently the reaction from crew was so negative that they've ditched the idea which saddens me as a person who prefers a bucket hat to a cap.

I saw this and was aghast, the new uniforms looked like something staff in a fast food restaurant in Teletubbyland would wear.

Fortunately, I would stick to my Maintenance black combat trousers and polo shirt.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Cowslips Warren posted:

The price of gas for that has to be loving insane.

Any other CPCs getting the axe?

Not from what I know. I'm more dealing with getting my team ready for the switchover to the new POS system.

WHICH IS ENTIRELY BROWSER BASED.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kilonum posted:

Not from what I know. I'm more dealing with getting my team ready for the switchover to the new POS system.

Hey, welcome to the browser based future! I'm here from Amazon to tell you that we have the best A.I.* generated systems.

Anyways after a month of off site training and vacation I finally get back to the yard. Of course I'm immediately reminded that while many CDL drivers are quite intelligent. They're just not the ones you're going to remember interacting with. My brother in logistics: could your problem with the system showing you not being checked in have something to do with the fact that you didn't stop at the big screen at the entry gate to talk to the people there? And therefore by tailgating the vehicle in front of you, you didn't check in? Mayhaps that's why you're not showing as checked in?

*Actually Indians. They're based somewhere near New Delhi

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Hey, welcome to the browser based future! I'm here from Amazon to tell you that we have the best A.I.* generated systems.

Anyways after a month of off site training and vacation I finally get back to the yard. Of course I'm immediately reminded that while many CDL drivers are quite intelligent. They're just not the ones you're going to remember interacting with. My brother in logistics: could your problem with the system showing you not being checked in have something to do with the fact that you didn't stop at the big screen at the entry gate to talk to the people there? And therefore by tailgating the vehicle in front of you, you didn't check in? Mayhaps that's why you're not showing as checked in?

Indians: cheaper than AI, But people would rather talk to pretend robots!

Wasn't that in the news recently where Amazon had those self checkout stores that was supposed to be run entirely by artificial intelligence and it turns out it was a bunch of outsourced call center people in India?

Kilonum posted:

Every meeting I've had for the past 6 months has been asking if we have any questions about the new One system or any concerns and the answer is always, since you guys aren't giving us any other information, most of us don't trust the management or what's coming down the pipeline soon.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wasn't that in the news recently where Amazon had those self checkout stores that was supposed to be run entirely by artificial intelligence and it turns out it was a bunch of outsourced call center people in India?

Yeah, which then made a bunch of people connect the dots and go "oh so that's why the actual card charge was so delayed".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Indians: cheaper than AI, But people would rather talk to pretend robots!

Yup. Someone talking about it is where I got the joke. I just found it painfully relatable since instead of letting us locals do the check in they'd rather hire a call center in India.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Alkydere posted:

I'm impressed that they splurged on India instead of just doing Manila or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going from 9 months of sloth to picking up 20 foot long planks of wood or 80 pound concrete bags. My body wants to die

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Suits are for customer-service jobs ergo a CEO giving an interview to the public should always be in a suit but in a boardroom should wear whatever makes them most confident to get into a fist fight over average customer lifetime value strategies.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
IBM famously used to insist all field service personnel wear a suit and tie at all times. For most futzing with terminals in offices this was fine, but they also had employees who had to wield a monkey wrench in huge industrial printers for utility bills and the like that could easily suck in your tie and strangle you. Maybe these employees could just wear jumpsuits? Nope: clip-on ties.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leal posted:

Going from 9 months of sloth to picking up 20 foot long planks of wood or 80 pound concrete bags. My body wants to die

Eat more. Your body needs something to burn.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If your CEO doesn't show up to quarterly meetings in full body armor and heavy weaponry do they really care about the business?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Barudak posted:

If your CEO doesn't show up to quarterly meetings in full body armor and heavy weaponry do they really care about the business?

Don't forget the squires interns who have to clean out the armor after they've poo poo in it

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I was gonna say people don’t normally poo poo themselves, but I’ve worked in retail long enough to know that isn’t the case nearly as often as I’d like it to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The Lord Bude posted:

I was gonna say people don’t normally poo poo themselves, but I’ve worked in retail long enough to know that isn’t the case nearly as often as I’d like it to be.

I've seen those time charts where CEOs say how they spend their time and never once do they list making GBS threads, so we have to assume they just poo poo themselves while doing something else.