Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

"Did you guys just open?"
Nope, we've been in the same spot for the past 5 years, and the store that was here before us sold the same type of things for 10 years.

"It's cheaper at Wal*Mart, why are you so expensive?"
Maybe because we're a small company that's lucky to order a dozen units of X, compared to thousands, and we have stupid expensive mall rent to pay too. Speaking of, why the gently caress are you price shopping a mall against Wal*Mart? Do you price shop Dillards and Sears clothes against Wal*Mart poo poo? And while yes, the things that WalMart carries that we do are often cheaper, good luck finding the other half of our merchandise anywhere else locally, that's what really keeps us in business.

It's been happening less often, but people love to stand outside my shop, look up at our sign, and read off the name. Then they blunder off into the sunset. I really don't get what's so fasinating about it.

When I worked at GNC we'd get people who would ask about product X. I'd give a 1 minute description of what it was, what it did, and why it worked, and how to take it. Then get asked what it was? How it worked? What did that do? How should I take it? That was pretty crushing to know that they stopped listening to me 2 words in, and couldn't retain more than 4 at a time.

But over all I really just don't let the little stupid poo poo bother me too much any more. Working retail for over 5 years will do that to you. I'll have my degree in another year and say hello to my cubicle.

BetaTested fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

While the five years part is true, the degree part, eh not so much, but perhaps you'll get lucky and the economy will be in recovery by the time you graduate.

I just graduated this past spring with a double major, had an awesome internship, managed to gain a lot more practical work experience than many of my peers yet somehow, that office job is still illusive. I've gotten close to getting a few though, so I'm hopeful.

Working retail part time for now while I look for something is much more bearable than my 40+ hour work weeks at Gamestop ever were, but this economy is seriously killing me with the lack of office/degree jobs.

Yeah, I'm majoring in Accounting, and while there are a lot of people hiring accountants, it might be tough for a while to find a place to get a couple years experiance. Most positions I see are looking for someone who is a CPA and has 2+ years of practical experiance. And of course I can't really get an internship because I have to keep a steady job or not have a roof over my head.

Retail is a lot easier on you once you make it to management(Even though I'm still doing every thing I did as an associate, plus all the new stuff, at least I write my own schedule, get a salary, and paid time off). Or just stop being soooo super concerned about every little thing as if it were your own home. I'm not saying stop caring all together, but you have to strike that happy medium where your performance doesn't drop and you can keep your sanity.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

Boondock Saint posted:

As far as being in management in retail, I'd have to say that's probably dependent on where you work. Gamestop(yes I know) was horrible to pretty much anyone store manager down. Sure the SM's got salary and paid time off, but in exchange, they also had to deal with copious amounts of bullshit I'm sure you would not have to deal with at other retail jobs.

There are litterally 3 people above me. The district manager, the purchasing manager(Though I'm not sure why she is technically in charge of stores somehow), and the owner. It kind of rocks. The owner scares the piss out of me sometimes though. She can be REALLY intense. But she doesn't visit stores too frequently at least, and for meetings at the office it isn't so bad.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm also getting tired of people whispering their questions to me. Even if I wasn't half deaf I wouldn't be able to hear that poo poo.

This used to be a big one when I worked in a GNC in a strip mall. There was no music, so the only sound in the store would be whatever traffic from the parking lot, and the occasional rumbling of a fridge compressor. People seemed to think that place was a library.

About 25-50% of customers on a given day would ask their initial questions so softly that even when I was standing right next to them I couldn't hear what they said. Granted that wasn't a whole lot since like 30 transactions was a BIG day there.

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

AlmightyBob posted:

Somebody spit their gum out onto the floor and now it needs to be scraped off

I've taken over 3 different stores as a store manager, and THIS. I can't tell you how many black spots that were once gum were on the hardwood floors. Yey razor blades...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetaTested
Nov 27, 2006

ladymikochan posted:

Although we did have someone order a blankety-blank portable CD player for a pick up before. It kept not coming in and finally we not only got it but find it and I get to call the customer for pick up. He seemed pretty happy to get his crappy player but then, he goes and does NOT pick it up. Today I get to see if it is still there.

I hate doing special requests for this very reason. We typically generate anywhere from 5-10 of these a week, and on a good week 75% of people called to be informed that their product is now in will never show up for it.

It's such a disappointment and a waste of time for my store. We try and provide good customer service by even doing hand transfers between stores so the turn around is a day or two instead of a week or three, and they still won't show up.

But worse still is those customers who want product so and so which is unavailable through the manufacturer for the unforseeable future, or was due out 3 months ago and still hasn't made it to retail. They will call back day after day or week after week until it finally shows up, being told the same story every time, and assured that their number is still on our list and they will be called the minute we get that item in.

Best yet is the incompetence that I occasionally encounter with our distributors. I had a customer who bought a $300 set of chess pieces. Not board and pieces together, but 32 pieces for $300. One of his knights on the white side was broken at the neck. I personally call up the vendor and ask for a replacement to be mailed out to us, and specify the color of the knight very clearly. 3 days later a black knight shows up. I call them up again and go over the issue at hand. They request I mail them back the black knight and the broken knight so they can "match" the color of the piece appropriately. Finally over a week after this customer spent $300 we were able to get him a complete set, and our vendor never admitted they made a mistake.

If I'm feeling particualarly motivated I'll snap a picture of both color knights and you can figure out which is which and edit it into this post.