Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Axeface posted:

Holy loving poo poo there is a banner ad?

That's how I got here too :) I'm glad we finally have the thread back. When the GBS one was closed and it was suggested we move it here, I kept waiting for it to show up cause I didn't wanna be the one to start it, but it never did.

I'm still cashiering and haven't really had any noteworthy encounters as of late (I've been operating mostly on auto-pilot) but I've had some pretty cool tiny strangers (kids) give me crash courses on Disney's "Cars" and the importance of the character Mater's coloring (he's green now, he changed!) , and a little girl blew me a kiss on her way out the other day which melted the ice temporarily.

Today I helped put signs on all 26 of our registers. The signs have a pretty terrible mugshot of our store manager and read as follows: "I am committed to providing a fast, friendly checkout experience. Not satisfied? Call 555-555-5555" Let the coachings begin!

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
We've got a 4 foot tall electronic witch set up in our Halloween section and it's been annoying the poo poo out of anyone working near it, while simultaneously scaring the poo poo out of children, but that's not why I bring it up. I bring it up because it's been there for 2 or 3 days now but I just noticed tonight that someone had made a name-badge for it, complete with the little badge-backer that says what position you hold. This witch bears a striking resemblance to our stores co-manager "Linda" and I got a pretty big laugh when I got close enough to see the name/position on the badge. I'm assuming our store manager did it based on how much they gently caress with each other. Linda has been out the past few days so I'm hoping she'll see it tomorrow and I'll be there to witness it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Three and a half years at my current place, and before that, three years in a gas station. I want out. :(

But I think my store is in some sort of bizarro universe or something. The management is generally really not-braindead, and the customers are pretty cool overall. If enough people bitch, stuff actually does get changed at my store. For example, the cashiers used to only be allowed a bottle of water to drink during their shift if they had a doctor's note. Now we all can! Also, we all have little mini-fans now, which is also cool.

I dunno why they've gone so retarded with the credit card thing, though.

At my store they took all the little fans off our registers cause some fat bitch complained about being put on one of the registers that had a broken fan. So poof, no more fans. Of course that fat bitch got fired like 3 weeks after she got our fans ripped out.

Also the cashiers are the only ones who bug anyone about credit cards, and I never ask unless I know I'm being 'audited' (a CSM will stand right next to you checking off a list). Every time someone says 'no' I usually make a comment like "of course not, why would anyone want another credit card in this economy?" while looking directly at the CSM (we are all pretty good friends so I can get away with it). I've also managed to sign up 5 or 6 customers for credit cards by doing nothing - GUESS HOW??? - the loving customers that want credit cards aaaaassssssk "HEY CAN I GET CREDIT CARD?"

We're also supposed to ask if you've found everything OK today, which elicits another joke/quip I'm tired of "AND THEN SOME!" and then the customer goes on about how they came in for socks while I'm in the middle of their ~$200 cart. If they say 'no' to our DID U FIND STUFF question, we're supposed to feign care and write down what they could not find and stick it in a box that sits behind the smoke shop register. That box hasn't been touched by anyone but (new) cashiers in about 6 months.

The 'visual audits' we get are pretty annoying but it's maybe twice a week so if a CSM is creeping around behind you with a clipboard that isn't the front end flow-chart, then you've gotta make sure to:

- Greet The Customer (smile!)
- "Did you find everything you were looking for today?"
- "Would you like to apply for a WalMart credit card?"
- Put customers bags in their cart (if they don't have a cart, or are grabbing bags while you're still ringing them out, figure it out!)
- Inform Customer About Stupid Survey That Prints On Every Other Receipt
- Thank The Cusomer (smile!)

So greeting and thanking and helping the customer with the bags are things that I do 100% of the time anyways, but I only throw the mini-interview in when I know I'm being watched.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Oct 28, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Dear Customers,

If you've brought your own re-usable bags please inform me that you've brought your own re-usable bags before I've bagged over half of your order in our not-your-own-and while-technically-re-usable-it's-easier-to-just-throw-them-out-or-use-them-for-household-trash plastic bags.

Love,
the thugged one

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 1, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

I had an actual good experience in retail today! Somebody spilled their coffee all over the floor and before I could even grab a mop two little girls ran over with napkins and cleaned the whole thing up! (I still had to go over it with a mop and put up the wet floor sign because it would have dried all sticky, but it was still super sweet.) The guy who spilled the coffee was crazy apologetic too. I even offered to get him some more, but he declined. :3:.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me today too. A little girl was being kinda rowdy while sitting in the shopping cart and ended up spilling her Dads iced coffee. Instead of A) Freaking out on the kid, B) Making it somehow my fault, or C) Both, he cleaned it up himself. He insisted. I grabbed paper towels and went to wipe it up (it was small spill) and he insisted on cleaning it up himself.

I was like whoa and he was like :c00l: and the girl was like :bubblewoop: tha end.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

So, if the thousand of questions weren't enough, my work just added another couple. Like most places, we offer service plans/extended warranties on certain items. Normally, if your item qualifies (the register will tell me if it is or not) I'll say "hey, would you like a service plan on whatever item for x$?" and if the customer has any questions, I'll answer them. But hey, it's easy enough, and only one question. No problem, right?

Well now we have to ask, and I'm quoting here, "Hey, this item you're buying qualifies for our service plan. [hand the customer the brochure] One think I like about our service plan is [make something up*]! And it only costs x$! Would you like me to add this to your transaction?" Even better, is the way I ask was cited in the module we learned all this from as being specifically wrong. So now if I'm not a smiley retard who creams her jeans over the service plan, it's possible for me to get written up. Awesome.

*They actually say to make something up if nothing about the service plan "excites" you.

I did the same CBL the other day. Mine was especially excruciating because the video kept skipping around, or skipping back to certain points. During one, I watched that woman hand the customer a service plan brochure about 12 times before it just skipped to the end of the video and asked me questions.

As far as the TV screens go, the only one in my store that's audible at any respectable distance is in the "As Seen On TV" section, so every 20 seconds or so there's a shrill pocket-size dog barking. Plenty of customers have complained about it already but I guess we'll have to wait for another mod to take its place before it ends.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Thesoro posted:

No you don't, walking is by far the most easily time-predictable mode of transport.

I was thinking this too. Sorry, Dodgeball, unless you have to watch for falling anvils you're pretty much always from A to B with no incident.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Dodgeball posted:

Sometimes I ride a bicycle, sometimes I try a different route. Sometimes there's a bunch of dudes digging up what I thought was a nice and completed sidewalk.

It takes me 50 minutes to an hour to walk from my apartment to work. 25-30 if I ride my bike. Doesn't help that the boss looks like if she were to try to get on a bicycle, she would break it. (then eat it)

There's also 5 intersections (2 of which are over a highway) that I HAVE to stop for because I cross 4 lanes of traffic.

Trust me on this one, it's a legitimate excuse to be late once every 2 months, especially in the mornings when it's rush hour and I have to start walking at 6:30.

So your boss is fat and you are not so WHAT WOULD SHE KNOW ABOUT WALKING HAHAHA! Still, you just stated how long it takes you to get from A to B with 2 different forms of transportation. Cut out the "let's see about this route today!" poo poo and you *always* know how long it'll take you to get from A to B, maybe with a few minute detour if you have to walk around some construction.

I realize you said you've only been late twice in 3 months and that's fine, probably better than most people on average, but there aren't a lot of variables there so you don't have any more reason to be late than anyone else.

Also I am chronically early to everything so I'm mostly devils advocate on this. Tomorrow I don't clock in until 10am but I'll be there around 7:30 because of my transportation situation.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Yeah if you're getting poo poo for it and the other dude isn't, that's lovely. Is there someone you could talk to about it or would that just cause more trouble for you?

e: just remembered that talking about something like that with management never helps. as you were sir.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 9, 2010

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Dodgeball posted:

Thank you Chik-fil-a lady.

I was outside on a smoke break this morning and a lady pulled up in a Hummer, hopped out and cheerfully gave two of our stockmen/cart-pushers some free McDonalds breakfast burritos. Something to the effect of "Merry Christmas! Here's a free hot breakfast for everyone working out in the cold today!" Either my cigarette gave it away, or she knew that I would soon return to the mild to not-so-loving-freezing confines of my register, for I was left breakfastless (which is totally ok cause I had a pretty big breakfast right before I went out to smoke).

The two guys looked at her as if she was speaking in calculus, and she wished them a Merry Christmas again and was gone as quickly as she had arrived. The more annoying of the two guys hesitated a second, before announcing that they had better go let management know about it, lest they be fired for accepting a gift.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Cowslips Warren posted:

I pick up some plastic shoeboxes today at Target for my mom. She's glad I did. Until she sees that one of them has a crack along the top of the box. And thank gods we're at home because she flips the gently caress out how Target employees break the poo poo and now we have to take it back and she threw out the receipt and took off the stickers already, and....meltdown. She told me to take the box back for an exchange, then realized I wouldn't, then realized she could order me to and now the box is sitting on the kitchen table, perfectly usable still. But goddamnit. It's a four dollar box, I don't want to wait in line forever to exchange it, and we have no receipt or proof the box came from Target.

Go back to Target in a couple days. Before you go to the service desk, go grab another box with the UPC still on it and tell them you just need a new lid. I know every place is different and that may get you chopped to bits and served in the lunchroom there, but at my store that'd be a perfectly acceptable way to handle it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

2508084 posted:

This seems really odd and makes me think "scam" off the bat (even though I know its not. Maybe I've overly suspicious in general from retail). I've found that just going to the service desk and saying "Hey, this is broken and I didnt realize it. I don't have the receipt, but I just want to do a straight exchange, is that ok" has worked in my favor. They can always damage it out and send it back to the manufacturer.

edit: this is for low cost items like plastic boxes. if its something of value, youre probably hosed unless someone is feeling trustworthy/generous.

Yeah the fact that it's a $4 shoebox makes this whole thing very easy for all parties. The way I told him to do it is just the way that would present zero problems for me come return-time, being on the employee side of the counter.

He seemed to be worried about proving it's actually from Target, and the easy way to do that is to show them one that scans into their system. I work service at Walmart and say you bring a shirt in to return or exchange but you don't have the tag, I'm gonna need you to go grab another shirt so I can match UPCs to the receipt (this is a bad example because most shirts have a UPC on the inner tag but it's an example nonetheless).

Anyways, avoid the crowd and go back in a day or two. Calmly explain the situation to the person at the desk, and they'll tell you what they'd like you to do :) If you tell them internet poster caveman thug poo poo told you to go grab boxes and barcodes they'll think you're weird so don't do that ok!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Shnooks posted:

I had a customer with her husband look at me and go "Thanks for helping, sweetie". I said "you're welcome" and she told me no no she wasn't speaking to me, she was speaking to her husband.

I felt like an idiot

During the holidays it's the worst cause not only do I hate coming up with some way to respond to people's well-wishes, but they're often talking to someone else, maybe a friend that saw them in line or whatever so they say HAVE A MERRY HOLIDAY DAY and I'm all "you too!" and then realize they weren't talking to me.. none of them ever point that out though.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Our store closing sale just started the other day, and the store has gone from a dead $500 in sales Tuesday to $5000 on Thursday. We had about 3k in the first three hours today. So yeah, ridiculously busy.

I've had to explain why the store is closing about a hundred times in the last few days, I am really sick of it.

:smith:: Oh nooo, you guys are closing? I can't believe it! Why?

:shobon:: Well, the landlord raised our rent, so we are merging with our store that's less than a mile away..

:smith::But that's so inconvenient! I love this store! I can't believe you're leaving! Where are we supposed to shop?

:shobon:: v:geno:v

Tell them to keep shopping wherever the hell they were shopping before cause it obviously wasn't your store.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Ornamented Death posted:

Gamestop and Best Buy have been doing this for years. Even though I always decline help while I'm in the stores, I always give glowing reviews about how helpful the staff were when I get the surveys.

This is a noble idea but you should probably focus on having a real experience with some sales people and mentioning them by name instead of casting a praise net over the entire floor. There are lovely employees after all.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Today a lady tried to pay for her order with a Postal Money Order, which I wasn't even sure existed until that moment. She pulled it out of her purse, crumpled up of course because she is literally a five year old boy who keeps worms in his pockets, and said "I can use this no problem right? It's legal tender." (no it's not) I love when people "ask" questions like that. Well I don't know about you guys in other countries or states but here in NY and at my store it's a hassle to even cash a money order made out to yourself at our Customer Service desk (not impossible, just a pain) let alone use it as cash at a register.

Of course after I told her I was sorry and that I couldn't take it, she said she'd just shop elsewhere from now on, I guess in a place that accepts postal money orders and shiny beads as currency and takes holidays off. Plenty of other customers caught this interaction and once she was out of earshot the next in line graciously said all the snarky things that I had to keep bottled in.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

-Troika- posted:

Hey pizza delivery guys: is it considered acceptable to fork up a cold beer in lieu of a tip during summer?

It's been a while since I was driver, and back then I probably would have said yes, but almost-30 Me says I'd prefer a buck to a DWI

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

king of the bongo posted:

Depending on the driver however they might take weed if it is weed.

Edited for clarity

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

CUMGUARD posted:

stinky customer

We've got a regular who we call Mr. Death, a pretty low-hanging-fruit kind of name but it stuck, who smells like he's got dead squirrels in his pockets. Associates like to guess what the stench must be, and the most creative explanation I've heard so far is that he is a taxidermist and is literally wrist deep in dead animals all day long but I'm sure that's not true. My best guess is he's got some kind of open sores or something and is likely dying but if that's the case the dude is soldiering on 'cause he's been that way for at least the entire 2 years of my employment.

He is a rather old dude and moves very slow, so all of his transactions take a lot longer than they should, forcing whoever is helping him (and the nearby customers) to bathe in dead-something stink. Most of the time an unaware associate, or a customer in line, will make a big fuss about "oh my god what is that smell" and while I imagine he's used to it by now (and in all fairness does actually smell like a dead dog pile) I feel bad for him because if it was something he could control I like to think he'd have done something about it. Whenever he leaves our front end manager goes all nutterbutters with a can of spray disinfectant and I can taste that stuff for hours.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 20, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Luquos posted:

This, so much this.

3 hour shifts. Basically means I can do gently caress all else with my day, but for no money at all.

I understand your frustration with lovely short shifts (I have a bunch this week too) but 3 hours is a long lunch and a nap. You can do like 7 more long lunch naps in the rest of that day! :)

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Nocheez posted:

Meh, if I worked at a local burger joint and someone ordered a Big Mac and I had the ingredients, I'd make it as close as I could and charge them accordingly.

No you wouldnt. If you work at a burger joint and your job is actually preparing the sandwiches, you don't just whip up an off-the-menu burger on a whim because it's not a big deal and you know that mac sauce is just thousand island. You might make some crazy poo poo for yourself or your coworkers but you're not throwing together an impromptu baconator during the lunch rush because some stupid customer doesn't know how to look and walk and be at the right places.

e: ah you said local.. i guess you could get away with that then. then again if you worked at a local burger joint your burgers oughta be way better than a drat big mac

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Fil5000 posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ Long as it wasn't a ghost stromboli. Nothing is worse than haunted food.

My hair is now bone white

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah he just brings it to the little people, I'm sure. "Listen, last month we had infinity shrink. So, nip that in the butt."

This is cracking me up. Infinity shrink! Hahahaha.

Glad to hear that my store is about par for the course, anyway.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Baldbeard posted:

Customer wants their receipt? Oh, no problem, I will just need their credit card or make note of the exact time of the purchase, go into the cash office and search the database for sales.

It's been a while since I was a CSM but can't you not even see same day transactions in the SMART system? If they wanted a receipt they'd have to come back after midnight.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Kukash posted:

Has anyone ever been a department manager with Wal-Mart? I may have the opportunity to get the electronics dept (sales associate now) but I would get a small raise if any. The only reason I have to take it is it may make my resume(lol) look better or lead to something else but a lot of dept. managers I've talked to say you take so much more crap from upper management and that is something I don't deal with now.

I'll preface this by saying that if you don't think you can "take crap" from management, then don't waste your or their time interviewing.

My experience as a DM was in a broken store that inexplicably had incredible sales but awful staffing, low morale from the Store Manager down, a backroom with anywhere from 50 to (currently) 100+ un-binned pallets on the floor, and a whole slew of other problems that I can't even really put into words for you right now. Being a DM tends to be where the downhill poo poo roll sort of plateaus and if your ASM and your ZMS don't know their way around a box cutter and telxon, you end up with quite the laundry list of daily burdens.

If you think you might have a problem taking sometimes retarded direction from your ZMS, being pulled off those special projects by an Assistant Manager and told to do who-the-gently caress-knows-what, and then being held accountable for having late price changes in a super high shrink department, being a Department Manager may not be for you.

Again, I stress that my store is broken and by the time I was promoted out of my departments I had become quite jaded and bitter (I know I hide it well). You may work in an awesome store that is always binned and everyone does the job they were hired for and you're not simultaneously 2 DM's, an IMS associate, Stockman, and a partridge in a pear tree, but from what I've read and people I've talked to from other stores, I don't think that my experience is the outlier here.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 19, 2013

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
The last time someone gave their verbal two weeks at my Walmart, the Personnel Manager had them write a brief thing anyway.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I'm leaving a position at A Retail Establishment for a position at A Competing Retail Establishment that offers the kind of schedule that I want/need and a whole lot more money. I'm sort of a reformed kool-aid drinker of first said company and I have feelings about leaving. There are people there who have genuinely invested time and effort into my development in that store and my roles in that store, and there are an equal number of people there who don't give a poo poo about how big of a deal to the store I am in/out of my own mind.

I'm wondering if anyone else who's ever had to leave for greener pastures has any advice about leaving with grace and not too much on your conscious.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I recently left a job at a place where the people who work there wear vests and name tags indicating that they work there. I was shopping there after not having done any work there for about 3 weeks and got stopped by a fellow customer (i.e. a person who also does not currently work there) who asked me with no shame or hesitation or shame where something was. I'm sure either maybe they recognized me as someone who used to work there or the fact that I had a blue shirt on means I work in whatever building I'm in, and I told her where the thing was (it was a laminator and those are on the back wall of stationery) but I also said "but I don't work here" and that felt pretty cool.

She looked at me like I was super mistaken about where I get my paychecks from and that was pretty cool too. I'd give the whole experience 3.5 out of 5 smokey jalapeños.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

GirlBones posted:

i showed here where the needles were btw

Proof we aren't monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

g0lbez posted:

who goes to subway and just orders a cheese on bread?

She should have said it was for a duck