Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sometimes, I just like to kick it freestyle.

teknetik posted:

So who's in the wrong here? I've worked retail for almost a year and have had situations where a customer grabbed stuff off the wrong rack that obviously didn't belong there. Not one of them has thrown the law-book at me though.

You were in the right. You only would have had to give it to her at $15.99 if the item was physically marked that way. "I work at blah blah blah and know my rights" is one of the dumbest tricks people try and pull. Mostly because they are never, ever right.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Working grunt-class retail in a sentence. Never tell the supervisors and managers they have bad ideas or you'll get fired for inane, made-up reasons.

One of my friends at the place just suddenly puked, felt horrible. She starts packing away her apron and such and informs a manager that she's vomiting and needs to go home before she gets worse.

Manager's response: Uh, alright, well just finish packing down the end caps (refilling displays at the end of aisles) and you can go home.

Her: Uh, what? I feel horrible and that would take like 2 hours. I've never taken a sick day in the 2 years I've worked here! I'm going home I don't need this poo poo.

Week later: Fired for "unacceptable attitude towards customers."

And this is just plain illegal (at least in my state). If someone throws up on the job in any place that serves or sells food, they are supposed to be sent home immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

We've had Maxwell House coffee on sale for the last two weeks at our store, and our warehouse, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send us two measly cases last Friday. We were already running pretty low, so we ended up selling out over the holiday weekend.

I've had more people cop an attitude over this coffee than anything else. "EXCUSE ME, why are you sold out of the Maxwell House!?" "WHERE IS THE COFFEE" all day today. Telling them I can give them rainchecks and to come back on Friday did not help.

It's not my fault you dragged your rear end here on the last day of the sale goddamnit, don't get mad at me about coffee!! :mad:

The only thing worse than this is the stupid jackasses looking for a 20+ pound turkey the night before Thanksgiving. Yeah, just a little late there, and even if we did have it, it would be a bitch getting it defrosted in time.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

shifty posted:

When Wiis were in short supply, I called around once a week to find one. Finally, there were 5 at a local Best Buy. I rushed over there, and in 5 minutes they were "out". I asked a manager if they had really sold 5 Wiis in the past 5 minutes. Magically, the employees remembered they had 5 in the back, and very secretively got me one. I realize there's normally nothing in the back that's not out on the shelves, but sometimes the question is justified.

Gah, motherfuckin' Best Buy. My parents wanted to buy my wife and I a Wii as a combined birthday present. So we go to BB and ask. The stock guy actually tried to tell us that Nintendo had stopped production on them (this was 6 months ago, mind). So we went to the local grocery/department store (Meijer, for those of you in the midwest) where they had about 20 in stock. I haven't been back to Best Buy since.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

minusX posted:

They did for a while, and then released the new Wii bundles with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and adding the black color. So yeah, they didn't lie(exactly) you just picked a wrong time to look for them.

:goonsay:

He said they had stopped production because they had too many out there and wanted to sell down first. If the jackass had said something about new bundles coming out, and the original wasn't available, I would have accepted that.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Octofoot posted:

Plus it's not unheard of for companies to have you work around 53 hours a week and then say "har har, gently caress you, you're not getting time and a half for those extra 13 hours" and laugh because they know you can't afford a loving lawyer.

That's complete bullshit. Thank goodness Michigan actually has a law that says an employer has to pay time and a half for anything over 40.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Big Taint posted:

Ya, >40 hours in a week or >8 hours in a day is overtime.

>8 hours isn't part of the law in Michigan. I work 9 to 11 hour shifts all the time, but if I don't go over 40, no OT.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

We just got our first voicemail in response to us being closed on Black Friday:
:argh:: "My name is Jackass McGee and my phone number is 123-4567. I need to get my computer fixed. It's Friday. Get back to work!!"

Gah, this pisses me off more than anything. God forbid the retail peons have the holidays off to spend time with their families.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

alreadybeen posted:

To be fair I have seen some totally misleading signs for sale prices in retail stores:

1) Saying things are "Two for $5" and when ringing up it turns out to be $2.50 for each.

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but if two items each cost $2.50, they're 2 for $5. It's not misleading, unless the sign doesn't say that they cost more if you only buy one.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

ijii posted:

Markdown policy customer bullshit

I think that the one thing that pisses me off more than anything in retail is the customers who try and tell me what the gently caress our company policies are. That, and the ones who insist that they "just got it here last week" when talking about a product that we haven't carried in the ~8 years I've worked there.

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I promise last bit on this derail: What the hell is with people thinking that poo poo they get from gas stations is cappuccino?

Probably the big sign that says "CAPPUCCINO" across the front of all those machines.

But yeah, they are really nasty compared to what you can get in a decent coffee shop. At least at my work I notice the only people that buy that poo poo are using it to flavor the regular coffee (which is also nasty swill), or they want something hot, but don't really like coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Dapper Man
Apr 7, 2007

Hopefully I won't be in retail much longer. I had an interview yesterday with a local manufacturer for a production job for $2 an hour more than I make now. Thursday I have to do an assessment, hands-on test. With any luck, I won't completely gently caress this up.