Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
We had a customer buy 50 $10 giftcards and a coffee at our Starbucks today. Her receipt was like 2 feet long.

We did give her the coffee for free though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
My retail job really isn't too bad but one of the other employees that frequents my area of the store is an alcoholic we found out. He's started taking breaks like every 10-15 minutes where he'll casually go out to his car and take a few gulps of wine or Listerine before coming back in. He's even stolen a bottle of Listerine from our store.

The old guy is really nice and it's upsetting to see him doing this but the bosses know and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he's canned. I can't say I'm against him being fired, but it's just so sad to see. I hope he gets help somewhere. :smith:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Although I was completely unaffected by this and only saw it from a distance, we had a real rear end in a top hat in the store today.

He paid for $20 worth of stuff with $100, and received exactly $80 change. The cashier only had two 20's, two 10's, and the rest he was give in 5's. This was unacceptable because the man only wanted 20's back. So he demanded a refund. The cashier couldn't do that for some reason or another so he demanded to speak to a manager(of course). So they called the cashier supervisor over who he deemed too lowly for his problem, and he demanded to speak to a higher up manager. So finally an executive manager comes over and hes bitching and whining for 20 minutes about how he didn't get the change in the denomination he wanted. Last I heard as I was heading out was that he was now demanding to speak to the store owner, who I hope tears him a new one because she is awesome.

The guy seemed like a combination of your typical "I am stuck in middle management for the rest of my life so I am going to treat you like scum in order to feel like I control something" type customer and the"I don't realize that supermarkets are not banks and don't have infinite money hurf durf" people

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Das Burger Konig posted:

While my first post was a bit more of a everyday compliant, today I shall contribute with a specific tale that has left me pretty confused.

A couple weeks ago, we had this woman come into the store, the typical mid day grocery store patron, anyways, she comes up and starts asking about the set of lawn furniture (a set of chairs and a glass table) we have on display outside. I inform her they are for sale, give her the price, and she very excitedly says she will take the set.

She pulls her car to the front of the store and all staff on hand proceeds to shake their heads in silent shame, for the box the table is in was about half the size of the car, and their was no way she was going to take them home in that. She realizes this as soon as she sees the boxes beside her car and says she will be back tomorrow to pick them up, while mumbling something about how its just rude that we don't deliver. I smile and tell her that we will hold on to them and just come up to the front desk when she is ready to pick the up.

She comes in with her friend, whom I'm assuming at this point has a truck, because most people would come to the conclusion after seeing those boxes that a truck is what is needed to pick up these boxes. The man is driving a car that is only slightly bigger than hers and upon seeing the boxes, he too comes to the conclusion that a truck is needed and tells the lady such. As they are leaving she pulls him over and whispers into his ear. He comes back up to us and says in quite possibly the most halfhearted 'angry' voice I have ever heard that we should deliver. She comes back later that day with another friend, and when we go to take the boxes out to the car, that persons car is smaller than the friend who came earlier. So they give up for the day and head home.

That next day we receive a call from this lady, demanding to speak to the store manager. I transfer the call, wondering just what the hell she's going to say. About 10 minutes later he calls back down to the front desk, I answer, and a very annoyed sounding store manager asks if I have a truck. To my horror I cannot stop myself from answering in the affirmative; practically fainting when I hear myself say "Right Away" when he ask me to bring it to the front of the store. I pull it to the front, minutes going by without anything happening, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, dealing with this woman on her home turf, like the dentist, i assure myself that I'm building it up to be worse than it will actually be.

My manager hands me the directions, we get the boxes loaded in the back, and I'm off. Eventually I arrive at the domain of this woman, it is a townhouse, with no front yard or back, and not a porch in site. I see the lady going into her house as I pull into the driveway and she looks back and sees me pulling in, but when i go to ring the doorbell, it takes her no less than 20 minutes to answer the door. When she does I smile the type of smile that you know you had to spend part of your soul to muster (I imagine most people in this thread know the feeling) and explain what I'm doing there. "Great!" she says as she goes back inside and closes the door. About 5 minutes later the garage door opens, it is filled to the brim with stuff, random stuff, a couch, pool noodles, stuffed animals, license plates, cabinets of various designs all filled to the point of busting with little stuff. "Put them wherever" she says. I unload the boxes, we get the garage door closed with some effort, and she goes back inside.

I don't know if she was planning on moving at some point, or maybe the lawn furniture was a gift for someone, or perhaps she just had a severe shopping problem, but oh well. When i get back to the store, our store manager apologizes for making me go out and deliver it, but he was just honestly so sick of dealing with her he just wanted to get her to shut up one way or the other.
Please tell me the manager compensated you for gas or something.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dodgeball posted:

Yesterday I met a goon at work. :unsmith:

He asked the question wrong. :smith:
Hey I had the shirt on! People could fake the question or know it through lurking, but only a true goon would have a GET OUT shirt on, or recognize it.

edit: also I feel the need to justify my purchase of Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise to you by saying it was a gift for someone. You didn't say anything but I could feel you judging me

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 18, 2010

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dodgeball posted:

I played the first one on 360. Not my position to judge.

EDIT: Also, I'm totally wearing my CNST jersey the next time there's a game in town.
So today? :v:

also, as I've posted before, I work at a Target Starbucks. So I not only have Target managers but also a Starbucks manager. After leaving work today I ran into my Starbucks district manager and her manager in a sandwich shop where I went for lunch. We started talking and she asked if I had heard about the manager position I applied for and through an amazing series of sentences, I managed to imply that another nearby Target Starbucks that is also in her district is filthy(which it is) in front of her boss. So that was an amazing foot-in-mouth moment and I'm still cursing myself for being an idiot but I'll apologize profusely next time I see her and hope she doesn't hold it against me(she will). :suicide:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dodgeball posted:

Did the Cowgirls play today? I know the Rangers are in NYC right now. Either way, today was my day off.

Do you work at the Target off of Green Oaks? My neighbor works at that one.
Nope, the one in Euless.

How's business at your store? It always seems busy the few times I come in. I would expect with the economy being what it is, that discounted book stores like yours see an increase in business.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
As I've mentioned before I work at a Target Starbucks so since we have a Target cash register sometimes people will ask us to ring them up and we usually don't mind. Sometimes though I like to mess with people and while ringing them up, if they have some folgers or other brand of coffee I'll just stop ringing things up and say something like "oooh I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to sell competitors coffee. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." For some reason everyone believes me every time and starts to apologize for the inconvenience as if they were at fault and should have known better.

Then I put a big smile on my face, they figure out I was joking and we have a good laugh.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well I got passed over for the Starbucks Team Lead position even though the store manager, HR, and basically every other employee I've ever talked to or worked with said they think I should get it.

The reason?

The district manager decided after 3-5 questions in a less than 15 minute time span that I was not leadership material. Oh and for the first 4-5 minutes he was texting on his phone while I was sitting right in front of him.

The store manager apologized and said there's nothing she can do. Tomorrow I'll be handing in my two-weeks and start seriously working on getting my resume out to companies again. I'm tired of retail.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So some anonymous guy had a small bouquet of roses from 1800flowers delivered to our store today for a cashier. The greeting card was completely blank and she has no idea who it could be, but whoever it was knew her full name and work schedule.

Seems like there might be another goon working there. :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Or she has a stalker.

I'd be kinda freaked out if I randomly got a bouquet.
Ya she seemed happy to get it but everyone else that I talked to about it thought it was super creepy.

quote:

Was she wearing that red shirt I like?
:tinfoil:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dodgeball posted:

Dude, you work at Target. That was an easy one.
Well duh, I wasn't actually afraid you were the stalker.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

elf pr0n posted:

gently caress managers who "waive" being late to some employees but loving threatening to write up others for being 5 minutes late
Depends on why they "waive" them being late. If it's because they are sleeping with them or they are bro's then it's one thing, but if the employee in question has otherwise been an upstanding employee and doesn't have a history of being late then I'd agree with the manager that being a little lenient is okay.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I heard from the district asset protection guy that they caught a team leader at my store shoplifting. I really hope it was the person they promoted instead of me. I am going to be all kinds of :smugdog: if it is.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm working on the electronics side of the store now had a woman come in and ask for a replacement battery for her car clicker today. Pretty routine situation, but I noticed that the keychain loop of the clicker had been broken off and that she had drilled her own hole through the clicker to attach a keyring.

Well after unscrewing the clicker and taking it apart, I saw that she had drilled the new hole THROUGH the battery. Like straight through the middle. It was at least a 3/16" hole. The miraculous part was that not only was there no battery acid, she said she'd been using it like that for over a year :psyduck:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sonic Dude posted:

I'm convinced the masculine version is 'buddy.'

"Hey buddy, want to ring me up over here? :smug:"
"No, I'm helping 137 other people, get hosed."
No, the masculine version is "young man".

I'm 23, jackass :argh:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

who wants chicken posted:

Last night a customer ripped down several of our outside displays and threw his coffee on our OPEN sign because I could only give him $2.80 for the two DVDs he wanted to trade in. And since I was the only one working, I couldn't leave the store to confront him or even fix the displays until we had already closed.

I close alone four days in a row this week. One day down, three to go. Let's hope that's the worst I have to deal with ...
I have to know, what were the DVD's?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Dodgeball posted:

I hated stuff like that (no longer employed in retail). My mechanism for dealing with attitudes like that is humor, so I would normally try to smooth things over with a joke which, of course, would always go over the customer's head.
So did you get a better job or were you fired or did you quit?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Had the worst prank caller today. Kid was probably 13 or so and sounded pretty shy.

:sun: : Electronics. How can I help you?
:ohdear: : Um, I got ah $250 for christmas and I was wondering what TV's you had that I could buy for that.
:sun: : Well you can buy pretty much all of our 22" TV's for that price
:ohdear: : Do you like...um...have any... like discounts?
:sun: : Well most of our TV's are on sale right now, but other than that we don't have any discounts that I know of
:ohdear: : What if we like... know someone
:sun: : Well if you know an employee who has a discount they can purchase the TV for you and you can pay them back
:ohdear: do...do you want to know my name
:sun: : ...Well sir I can't give you my discount
:ohdear: : do you want to know my name?
:ohdear: : my name is seymore butts *click*

:raise:

It put a smile on my face for the rest of the night at least

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I watched once as a mom walked down the aisles with her cart while 20 feet behind her, her two young children would run from one endcap to another and just pull stuff off onto the ground. Pillow pets, fruit snacks, bathroom scales, whatever. I just walked behind them and cleaned it up because you know when the kids act like that that there is no loving point in talking to the parent because the only thing it will get you is a customer complaint.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So as some may remember from earlier in the thread, I got passed up for the Starbucks manager position so that they could hire some girl from backroom that had no idea what she was doing and was absolutely not qualified in any way.

That was 3 months ago. Today I overheard my old manager talking on the phone with someone about how "She still hasn't picked it up and doesn't remember to look at the cards" and "She gets overwhelmed and freezes up".

From talking with some friends I still have over on that side of the store, the old manager is going to have to train her AGAIN to make the drinks. Now I've seen a lot of people come and go from Starbucks throughout my time working there and I've never seen someone take more than a month to pick up the recipes. But here she is, 3 months into her manager position and she can't even do the most basic of duties.

The employees don't like working with her, the regulars don't like ordering from her, and I'm sure management doesn't like having to constantly report to Starbucks because she can't handle her job. But there you go. Way better choice than the guy who everyone liked, was the most competent, and was already running the place between the time the old manager transferred and he was denied the position.

I LOVE TARGET. :unsmigghh:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
No offense taken, but it is probably a bit more complicate than you would believe. Still, nothing that any normal human being couldn't do with a weeks worth of training, let alone 3 months. It is a retail job after all.

From what I've heard from my old coworkers though, they've run out of mocha powder and cup sleeves at least a few times. Which is pretty astounding since you don't have to worry about ordering too much of the stuff because cup sleeves never expire and mocha lasts I think a year on the shelf. There is no reason you wouldn't order as much as you can fit on the shelves every week(which by itself is enough mocha and sleeves to last for over a month).

I don't understand how she is screwing up this bad.

I don't understand why they are letting her screw up this bad.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got a little bored at work today

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

:backtowork: "You should have been working!"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ben Davis posted:

"You should have written 'Guests!'"
a Guest is anyone in the store. A Customer is a Guest who has bought something. Only Customers get surveys :colbert:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I had a lady come in today and try to purchase several pay-as-you-go phones but she wanted them tax free because "they were for her business" and she produced this form:

The first thing I noticed is that it says "This permit must be prominently displayed in your place of business." which to me indicated it was not meant to be used in this manner. Second, the name on it was "Mohammad A Mohammad" and I don't remember seeing a business name.

Luckily the store manager was just an aisle away and I called for her help using her name and not indicating she was the store manager. She flat out told the woman no and the woman was like "I do this all the time!" and "I've never had a problem before!" but the store manager knows her poo poo and explained why it wasn't being done. Then the woman was like "I'll just go to guest services, they'll do it for me there" :smug:

After the woman left, the store manager called on the walkie to guest services and told them to deny it. It made me happy :unsmith:

My theory is that she was buying them to sell them at a mall kiosk since they were on sale and she wanted a lot of them. This kind of thing has happened before but we've never had someone try and get them tax free by presenting their business permit.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Had some high school girl come in today.

:btroll: Do you have any actual Justin Beiber CD's?
:keke: Yes we do, we have My World 2.0 right here
:btroll: No not this one, his actual CD.
:confused: *after a good 3 seconds of silence* what?
:btroll: This CD only has 7 tracks! It doesn't even have BABY!
:crossarms: Well we also have this Justin Beiber remix album over here
:btroll: No this isn't his actual CD!
:geno: Well we also carry the My World album but we're out of it at the moment.
:btroll: well that must be the one I'm looking for. Okay buy

:smithicide:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Welp, had a retail experience while not being on the job!

I got off at 4:30 today and went across town to the Verizon store to look at new phones. While I was going through the parking lot of the Arby's to get to it, some woman comes flying out of the drive through and almost hits me. Scared me, but whatever, it happens. So I continue on and park in the Verizon store parking lot and start to go in when she drives up in front of me with her window down and her passenger yells "WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING!" in the most over the top "I'm talking down to you" voice you could imagine. After working for 8 hours I wasn't putting up with this poo poo and I just said "gently caress off!" and walked around their car into the store to look at phones while keeping an eye on her to make sure she didn't key my car or something.

Then she parks 2 spots down from me and after a minute or two of sulking comes into the store and comes up to me while I'm conversing with some of the store employees and she demands to know "Do you work here?!" I say "nope!" all smugly because she is the total embodiment of every horrible customer I have ever had and I can finally just brush her off without having to kiss her rear end and she can't do poo poo. So then she starts off how I shouldn't have been so rude to her and I respond that she provoked it by being rude first.
"That wasn't me, that was my passenger"
"Well I was saying it to her then"
"You're just lucky you don't work here!!!"

She storms off, writes down my license plate I think and drives off. I apologized to the employees and went back to my shopping.

It felt really good

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I really hate the bullshit "Customer Service Number" that they compute for each department. I think it's a combination of call box response time + customer survey score + phone answering response time.

So for the past few weeks I've watched as our number slowly falls. We're down to 3.10 out of 4 and anything below 3.5 is bad.

The reason for this is that there is only 1 of us scheduled for the entire electronics, media, home improvement, automotive, stationary, seasonal, and kids bedding section of the store which covers quite some distance. So if I'm at one end of the store helping a customer and the phone is ringing, I don't hear it. If I'm at the same end of the store and the electronics call box goes off, I usually can't get there until the 2nd of 3 calls go out.

The worst part though is that I provide excellent customer service. I don't mean to pat myself on the back or anything but when asked where something is, most of my coworkers give an aisle number and that's it. I on the other hand walk the customer to the aisle, ask if they need any more help or have any questions, and then go from there. The other day I read a good section of a house phones manual because a customer had a very specific question I wanted to answer for her. She even went to a manager afterward and commended me and I got a little piece of paper saying how great I was, but this doesn't affect our customer service score AT ALL. I provide that kind of customer service and I can tell that they all appreciate it but the only time anyone remembers to hang onto their receipt and then go online and fill out the survey is if they feel wronged for some ridiculous reason.

Like the other week I had a lady that wanted me to call EVERY other store in the area to double check the stock numbers in the computer. Normally I would have no problem doing this but at this time we were very busy and I had people lined up around the counter needing help so I told her I was sorry but I couldn't and then I provided her with a list of the stores phone numbers so that she could check herself. This week our score dropped another .1, probably from that bitch.

So it's really bullshit and I hate it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I heard this week that the girl they promoted to Starbucks manager instead of me a few months ago is leaving to go back to do backroom stuff. The reason I heard for her stepping down was that she didn't have enough time for the classes she was taking, which is exactly one of the reasons I told them she wasn't a good fit for the position. The fact that she is constantly being overwhelmed and is terrible at it probably also had something to do with it.

Feels good to be right, but bad to know that they still won't offer me the position even though I'm still the top candidate

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I work at target and am in the same situation. No training, no documentation, nothing. The 3ds came out today and we have no demo unit and if it weren't for me printing out and notating the wiki article we would have nothing. It's hard to sell a $250 handheld who's big gimmick is a 3d screen when you can't show it to them.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Aculard posted:

Yeah I really don't have anything else to say about this topic.

Spartan. how could they not even tell you guys anything about it? Is it really that hard for the managers to pull one out for display/employee testing before your shift to see what the basic features are? Or even read the back of the box? :psyduck:
I looked at the box but it doesn't give you more than a brief run down of the console and list the basic games it comes with. We really need a demo unit to sell these things to anyone other than the people who come to the store with their mind set on buying one.

Also, I learned from the commercial playing on the wall of TV's that Target has a trade in program going, and had to Google the details on my smart phone.

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP MANAGEMENT

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Fury1671 posted:

:smug: Alert. I don't think I've ever been happier at work than today.

I don't remember if I've officially mentioned her in this thread, but since my store opened these Arab women would come in, load up shopping carts of the same item, pay with about 1000 coupons and get like 1 grand in merchandise for like 10 bucks. And then either return it to the same store or a different one pocketing a lot in cash. When my store first opened, they got away with it way too much, until corporate told us to limit her coupon transactions. Then we started training our cashiers and got better POS software so that it could track expired/incorrect coupons better. So they eventually stopped coming for a while. Then they showed up last summer and got mostly shot down and only one showed up tonight(well I think I saw the other, but she didn't try to gently caress us over).

I've had two past interactions with her before tonight. Once when we first opened so she got away with it and during the last summer when I rung everything up knowing what she was going to do to waste her time for wasting mine, but my front end manager gave her 5 coupon/item instead of 1 which we used to do.

So onto tonight, I'm breaking my rule and ringing a large order up in Electronics because a woman bought a TV and I kinda pissed her off saying I couldn't hold said TV for longer than 15 minutes. Which is mostly because its a sale TV and I've had people just leave the store. But thats off topic, the one woman comes up, with a large cart of toothpaste. I know this is her, but she wants a DS, so hey, I'll get it, ring it up and warn the front end. Well, I decide to take everything cause I know whats coming and I don't trust our cashiers to know her game. So I ring up about 15 3dollar toothpastes, and a $100dollar gift card along with the DSlite. And then I receive 10 Crest Whitestrips coupons that are like 10-15 dollars off. As soon as I read it, holy poo poo, my face just turned into :smug: and the ability to turn down that scam was perfect. Her frustration was almost palpable as she returned everything to the cart, claiming she'd buy it upfront. Which I then told our GSA about, and she got jack poo poo. Thankfully our GSA has had dealings with her too, so she knew exactly what to say to the new cashiers.

I know $150 doesn't sound like much when the DSLite & Card are $220, but it was probably a test run to see if we remembered. I sure as hell did, my GSA and LOD all did too.

I know that it doesn't sound all that awesome, and I probably sound like a dick for gloating, but I consider it almost insulting for you to try to scam the company through me. I hold no love for my store or company, as I told my AP friend when he told me to just comply with robbers demands, but gently caress if I'm going let someone try to trick me. I consider it insulting to me. Plus she does that at other stores and then comes here and fucks me over with a cart of loving toothpaste reshop filled to the brim. That poo poo sucks to put away. And if there's one thing I hate more than being tricked its doing work.

Plus to be able to have the store have your back while you tell a customer to :dealwithit: is such a rare occasion its nice. Since the counterfeit and stolen credit cards stopped coming, I don't get to do my favorite thing of turning them down. However, now that I'm stationed in Electronics, I get to do my second favorite thing of yelling at kids for having fun.
I have a related story. I was doing a quick zone one day and saw a huge thick envelope sitting on the edge of a clearance end cap. Upon closer examination, I realized it to be this one guys coupon envelope. Like your lady, this guy uses coupons on the regular basis to buy a whole lot of merchandise for nothing, and then return for cash. I quickly pocketed the envelope and went to the most out of the way trashcan I could find and emptied the contents inside. I think I might have spit on it too. gently caress that guy, and gently caress his coupons.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm in the same boat but instead of beauty product sign ups its credit cards. Which by itself is an impossible thing to do since popular opinion these days is to steer away from excess debt, but they also don't give us any training to sell them so after the initial "would you like to sign up and save 5%" (which is nothing) if they have any questions I don't have an answer and I lose it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If you steal something, they can get you. There's no if, ands, or buts about it. They might not be able to bust you while you walk around the store because you still have the chance to pay before leaving, but as soon as you step through the exit, you have left the store without paying and they may be waiting outside for you. This is how our stores AP handles it. They spot people that have started pocketing things or piling up carts with stuff to steal. Then AP just waits outside the exit and grab the people as they're leaving. They have zero defense at that point because they've left the store without paying.

Also, at least in our store, ALL the cameras on the ceiling work, and there are even some that are "hidden". You are always being watched, always. The only thing that might stop them from detaining you and calling the police is if they have bigger fish to fry or if they deem your theft "not worth it". However, if you steal enough from one store, they will eventually detain you after your "dollars stolen" amount gets high enough. So while your friend may think hes been getting away scot free with his candy bar theft, if he keeps it up, one day they will be waiting for him and will prosecute him for every candy bar he's stolen.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a customer come up to me once and ask if she could open up a pack of fruit snacks and eat them while she shops and then pay for them with the rest of her groceries. I told her "As long as you pay for them it will be fine". She opens them up, eats one, and then says "These don't taste like I thought they would. They aren't gummy enough and they taste wrong. I'm not going to pay for them now. Here take them."

I sure do appreciate you lying to my face so that you could get a free sample of something!

At least she didn't eat half a box and return them later like some people.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well I found out yesterday we had our Ipad 2 display stolen less than 12 hours after having it put out.

The funny thing is is that I was told it was just a nonfunctional piece of plastic. So when someone called up earlier that day asking if we had an Ipad 2 demo unit out yet, I told them "Yes but it's only a demo unit and doesn't actually function. It's just a piece of plastic but you can still get a good feel of the dimensions from it." I guess they knew more than I did because in reality I found out after the theft that it was in fact a retail unit, just not powered. If I had known it was an actual unit, I would have reacted differently.

Well later that day after my shift, the store down the street had their demo unit stolen and as they were calling the employee that had replaced me to tell him, the criminal walked out of our store with ours.

I'm a bit pissed that I was lied to, but I'm more stupefied as to why management thought the same case that had been easily ripped open and had the Ipad 1 display stolen out of it would somehow deter probably the same guy from taking the new display. The wood construction of the bottom half is so lovely that any normal person can rip the acrylic top half and screws through the side of it without making any amount of noise. You would think that for a $400 device they could invest more than $10 worth of balsa wood to secure it.

It's okay though. I've got security covered.

(I'm aware of the punctuation error)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ace944 posted:

SpartanIV I see the Target cart so I take it you work at Target. Your Ipod2 display was not in a clear case? Here at my Target it has a video looping and is protected by a clear case. I work as AP and would have a heart attack if they just let it be out...

P.S.
I see Blu-ray keepers
(edited to fix error)

Here is a really lovely sideways video I took tonight of our display case. You can see where the metal screw through the acrylic has been ripped out of the wood quite easily.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYaly_C8Is

As for how much trouble I, as an electronics employee, gets into. Well nothing overt like being written up. But managers definitely look at us as having failed and with that could mean that they're going to be changing up shifts so that people who haven't let them down get better hours or any number of other passive aggressive thing. Or it could mean our yearly reviews, which we're in the middle of, could be negatively affected.

The way it affects me the most is that I don't have something to show customers anymore and having a physical item to show to people really helps make a sale.

tl;dr, stab your friend in the face

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 16, 2011

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Cowslips Warren posted:

I don't get how people can get out the doors with poo poo like that. The BestBuys around me seem to have cameras everywhere and a guard at the front door who checks your bag all the time, plus the detectors up.
They recently cut our AP hours a lot so now we can only have 1 AP employee on shift at a time, if that. A lot of time in the early mornings or at night nobody will even be there now.

So with that said, when there is only one of them there they can either watch the monitors, walk the floor, or watch the doors on one side of the building.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
"if those girls really didn't want to talk to him then they would get a better job! "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'd bring pens with a competitors logo on them