Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

I had a kid(Re:18 and just got into college) who bought a copy of Just Cause 2 for PC. He was told to make sure his computer could run the game before installing it. He called the next day and said he was having DirectX issues. After about 20-40 minutes on the phone with him I pegged down that his Dell Laptop had on board graphics that in no way could handle the game. I told him to bring in the receipt, game, and laptop and I would see if there was anything I could do. I asked him to come that day.

Yesterday, two days later, he called in saying he was having issues. Thankfully I answered the phone and talked him another 10 or 20 minutes explaining that the Comcast worker who told him his graphics were "top of the line" wasn't correct. I typed the full error code into Google(which I had asked him to do over the phone when he said he didn't understand and couldn't get any results to his issue to show up on any sites at all) and it was the first result on the official site for the game.

After explaining that his computer just wasn't up to snuff, and replacing the graphics card on his laptop would be massively more trouble than it would be worth(Re: Random cheap Dell laptop, yeah sorry dude) I tried to see if I could return the game. I checked his Laptop a bit and saw that he had sadly registered the game via Steam(only way to install a box copy) and thus I wouldn't be able to return the game for him, and the best I could do is sell him back the game he traded in at the price we paid for it(which was $25 less than we were selling it for to others.) He said he understood and left.

It was finally over. Until his mother came in and said we should be held responsible that the game didn't work. We explained that it wasn't a matter of the game not working but his computer not being good enough to run it, and we made sure to inform him before hand to make sure it would work before opening the box. She left in a huff before she would agree and I'm honestly sad I wasn't able to help them more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.

"Hey with your trade and your purchase you'll get this discount card which is usually $15 for free." "No thanks." "It's free money, like literally. I'll be handing you a dollar if you just say 'sure'" "I don't shop here often." "..."

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

alreadybeen posted:

I'd probably do this. Literally there are so many offers out there that have strings attached, some monthly fee, endless spam emails etc. I just say no out of habit.
The thing is he had one that expired, so he knew that there wasn't any of that.

Pingiivi posted:

Especially if I don't shop at that store that often. Once I was offered a trade in offer at a Gamestop that I've could have gotten a new game for 10 euros in addition of what I was getting at the time, but the game they offered didn't interest me one bit. The salesperson was absolutely baffled because I didn't take that offer.

I wasn't being a dick, I just didn't want that game.
That makes sense, but I would have handed him a dollar and free stuff, vs having to spend money money at all.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Normalman posted:

Gamestop
Who the gently caress is you're LP manager? This doesn't fly at all around here, and I was in an area where I had to check $20 because people were passing fakes :\

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

A Dapper Man posted:

Gah, motherfuckin' Best Buy. My parents wanted to buy my wife and I a Wii as a combined birthday present. So we go to BB and ask. The stock guy actually tried to tell us that Nintendo had stopped production on them (this was 6 months ago, mind). So we went to the local grocery/department store (Meijer, for those of you in the midwest) where they had about 20 in stock. I haven't been back to Best Buy since.
They did for a while, and then released the new Wii bundles with Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort and adding the black color. So yeah, they didn't lie(exactly) you just picked a wrong time to look for them.

:goonsay:

minusX fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 19, 2010

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Operation Juicebox posted:

Aye. I have to make a certain amount of profit per hour to qualify for commission. Theoretically I could do this by putting a shitload of travel adaptors or something through the till but I'd have to put like 3,000 or so through per shift because the best way to earn the profit I need for my commission is through 'KPIs'.
Man gently caress Key Performance Indicators. I don't really have to deal with them but I feel for everyone who does.

vortmax posted:

But do people read signs? Oh no, they never do...
No matter how many you point it out to. :eng99:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

I'm really annoyed by people who think they're entitled to anything they want just because they are alive. This isn't a horrible customer complaint by theifing bastards complaint. Had a customer who was giving me bad vibes the whole time he was working with my coworker. He asked for a PS3 and being the one with the keys to the system room I got the PS3 for him. Asked him if he wanted anything else along with it or our free program card to give him a discount on the next game her purchased(he had enough points from this purchase.) Well he runs his card which was a greendotish card you can get from Wal-mart and the like and I notice the pop-up data about the card didn't match the number printed on the card. And it was declined(thank god)

"Oh my card's been giving me trouble lately"
"Well that happens when you wipe the magnetic bar code and replace it with a stolen credit card number. I'm sorry, I can't sell anything to you."
He keeps going on about how he's been "having trouble" as he slowly walks out of the store. His pace doubles as he hears me dial 911. I hope the worst for him in life.

minusX fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Oct 25, 2010

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

That's really not something you should dial 911 for, call the non-emergency line. 911 lines are already dangerously overloaded with bullshit in most cities.

Nosaj posted:

Dont worry, he didnt really say that nor did he really call 911.
I did say that to his face. I could be sued for it but whatever, it's what he did. I just said I was calling and hit the buttons, he doubled and I put the phone down. There really was nothing I'd be able to do sadly, didn't remember his full name, he wore enough to keep the cameras from identifying himself. I just e-mailed my DM and LP dude and then called stores in the area.

Dell_Zincht posted:

PLEASE tell me you kept the card.
It has his name, he has an ID with the name on it, I know the strip is a reprint but the card is "his". I really wish I could've but honestly doubt the company would back me doing it :\

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Holy poo poo, seriously? Where I work, if we get a suspicious card, or a suspected counterfeit banknote, we test the banknote and then call security who will come and check it. If it's fake, we keep it, and explain to the customer why. Same thing for a card, although usually if the card is stolen the police are called and the culprit is retained instore until they arrive.
There's at most 3 employees on the floor at my job, and we don't have security. At the time it was me a a young small Asian female.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

I guess no more stores for a bit from me. Fired from GameStop for working off the clock :toot:

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

The General posted:

Last week I didn't think it was possible to be fired for answering a question on your day off. you learn something new every day though.
Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. The issue comes from people working off the clock and then suing the company for unpaid hours. If someone calls you to ask where x inventory item is, I doubt you'll be fired for answering.

Just to let ya know, I was fired for working off the clock at another store. What's the harm in that? Well what if the store got robbed while I was in there, or part of a wall feel over. The company would pay for it sure but insurance might not cover it as I "wasn't supposed to be there." So I can see where they are coming from. Also people being sue happy (apparently it's been a big deal at Wal-Mart, but I'm pretty sure that's more being forced to work off the clock and not being paid for it.)

I would do it again in a heartbeat if it meant I got to help out a friend at another store. Would I do it if I knew we'd both be fired? No, only because I'd be helping out the company who would fire me and not my friend.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has your work not put up some kind of "Please do not remove tomato vines" signs to dissuade people from doing this? Seems like it'd save a lot of trouble, even if everyone wouldn't be smart enough to read it.
"Oh they don't want us to do this because we save money! WELL I'M GOING TO SAY I FOUND IT LIKE THAT!"

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

TShields posted:

I got an email that says I'm being considered for a job! maybe this will turn into something good..

Good luck!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

TShields posted:

I technically have to clock out for a break if I work anything over 6 hours, but we are encouraged by the store manager and district manager to continue to work through the break anyway. :smith:
...This is what I was fired for. They aren't allowed to legally do this. On your exit you might want to ask HR for the money you're due.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

2508084 posted:

If the state is anything like the health department, they'll call his manager and go "hey, you didn't tell this guy to work off the clock, right?" and his manager will go "well gee golly heck no thats against the great and wise law I would never do such a thing as a caring, responsible supervisor"
Doesn't matter, they HAVE to pay you for working off the clock. Doesn't matter if they say don't do it, they will pay you (so you can't sue) and then fire ya.