Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I wish cashiers would put the change in my hand first and then the bills/receipt. It's much easier to hold change in the cup of my hand and then use my fingers to hold the paper. If you put the paper first, the coins easily fall off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Boondock Saint posted:

Oh I realized that the moment it happened. My issue is, why tell me you don't have a license or ID, yet I can clearly see that you drove here. It's just retarded logic on the customers part, that's all.

You don't have to own a car or a license to drive one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Das Burger Konig posted:

Most people will feign ignorance if you point out your light is off, "Oh sorry I didn't notice" or some such, but I can only imagine their thought process is "hmm, their light is off, they must be getting ready to go, which means they'll be moving quickly trying to get us through!"

I speak as a consumer that this is the most annoying thing ever. Some checkers forget to turn their lights on, sometimes a light is burned out, etc. We have no clue what to think when a person is manning a register but the light is off.

The real answer should be to turn your light on when you're at the register, then turn it off when you're finishing and let people know that the register will be closing after the current customer is checked out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Octofoot posted:

Plus it's not unheard of for companies to have you work around 53 hours a week and then say "har har, gently caress you, you're not getting time and a half for those extra 13 hours" and laugh because they know you can't afford a loving lawyer.

I used to work at a car wash, they did schedules for every other week. Some weeks you might work 50-60 hours during the busy winter season, and be scheduled another 50 the next week only to have it snow a few days and you'd end up working around 20. Even though you worked overtime that first week, you'd not get overtime because you were under 80 hours for both weeks.

It was really, really lame. I don't know if it was illegal, though (Ohio back in 2002).

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Big Taint posted:

Ya, >40 hours in a week or >8 hours in a day is overtime.
Only in some states, like California.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

rolleyes posted:

While you were venting your frustration on the powerless, I had time to go over to the bakery counter right next to the bread shelves and pick up... freshly baked bread. *sigh*

Why didn't you just tell her this in the first place?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

rolleyes posted:

I'm guess you think I was the assistant in my previous post? No.

Ah, I see. Still, why didn't someone just tell her there was fresh-baked bread at the bakery? It could have avoided that whole event.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

(By the way, the mall is a mile around. On the inside)

Concord Mills?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

Shh!
Wow, that was just an educated guess.

I feel your pain, though. I try to avoid that mall as much as possible because it seems that most people shopping there are selfish buttholes.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Apocalypse Please posted:

Apparently some of our employees stole several macbooks and expensive SLR cameras over the past week. Great job guys, now it sucks even more for the rest of us.
Someone in my company got busted for stealing cash (nearly $100K) from our customers and that's going to be enough to keep us from making our profit bonuses. Merry Christmas, dick!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

Ugh. How wonderful. I live in the south, so snow shuts us down like an apocalypse. Supposedly we're supposed to get 8 inches of snow today. Many other malls are closing.

But of course mine is still opening! Hooray! I just can't wait to work until late at night when it's snowed for a few more hours and given us more freezing rain. And then deal w/ all the morons on the road.

The last time I drove home from work at night in the snow I had to pull ahead at 4 of 5 stop lights so I wouldn't get hit by morons who braked too late.

It's days like these I'm happy that we've been too lazy to take off the snow tires on my fiancee's Saturn. I drove her to Uptown as she's a nurse and cannot miss work due to the weather, and I was passing the snow plow drivers who were doing 20 MPH on the freeway. Some of the trucks didn't even have their plows on the ground. What the hell, NCDOT?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

I'm above this poo poo.

I'm in management and I still have to do bitch work sometimes. I'm not above helping clean up shared spaces, nor unloading heavy-rear end pallets at our shipping bay.

You'd best change your attitude, or you WILL be stuck doing nothing but bitch work. There's nothing worse in the working world than someone with an entitlement complex running anything.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

....Huh?

I was in your store last Saturday with my fiancee to sign up for a wedding registry. The woman at the area that said "Wedding Registries" told us to go to customer service. Ooooo-Kay......

We wait for 3 people to do their transactions, and finally the girl at the counter tells us she'll have to page someone (Mike, IIRC) and he comes over after a few moments. He seems visibly distraught that we're trying to sign up, and even though you have signs up that say that no one available and we'll need to wait around 45 minutes. We decide to wander around and start checking out the merchandise, and while we're doing this we realize what is taking so long: there is an associate walking people through every section, trying to get them put everything in the store on their registry.

We finally decide we've waited enough (no one was available when we stopped by at the prescribed time) and went home. We went online and had an Amazon registry set up within 30 seconds, and at better prices.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

MaxDuo posted:

Ah.. yeah. Sorry, Saturday sucked :( ...
Oh yes, about Mike..

I didn't mean to bag on Mike, he actually seemed to care but I could tell that the store policies and procedures are making this a nightmare.

I thought that they'd just hand us a scanner and tell us to go nuts in the store.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I have no idea. We never got that far, no one was willing to actually explain anything other than telling us to wait longer.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Axeface posted:

Is this Hell?

Sounds like every K-Mart I know.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

Dreading work today for several reasons. It's a truck day, so tons of work for me. I may or may not learn my fate, because the boss is at a meeting, so I'll have an axe floating over my head all day. If I don't learn my fate today, they're getting an rear end-ton of work out of me before I go, which I hate to do. Wish I was in a position to just walk away.

Don't stress over it. If you're going to be let go, there's nothing you can do about it now. Just go to work, do your job, and see what happens.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Robzor McFabulous posted:

I check to make sure the car details are correct and that the rest is legible. Then I ask for some ID to prove the name and preferrably address are legit. He opens his wallet to go for his driving license. It's STUFFED with cash. I ask him if he was serious, he just feigns ignorance, takes his copy of the form and walks out.

Why not offer to call the police to try and sort the situation out? I'll bet that guy would have been OK with paying at that point.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

:toot: Thanks for the support!

But goddamn, where have all the good job postings gone?! I can't find anything like what I was applying for a month ago. Hindsight=20/20 and all. :sigh:

Anyone live in central NC and have a job connection for me?

I don't live in Central NC, but we have technician jobs available down that way. How interested would you be in driving around in a paid-for vehicle and fixing stuff?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

I don't know how qualified I'd be for that, honestly. That's the problem, I have lots of skills, but everyone wants fancy pieces of paper to go along with them.

We have an assessment test that you take. Most of our techs are high-school graduates with no certifications. You just have to know how things work and how to fix them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

That's ALL I'm looking for in NC. If I was making $10+ an hour, I could live in the house I'm in until loving Armageddon and I wouldn't care. There are awesome jobs... in the next county over, about an hour drive away. There is nothing by me. Oh well, time to get ready for work. I'd rather slam my dick in a car door. What wonders await me today?! :suicide:

I had to move nearly 500 miles away to get a job that paid a livable wage. I relocated to a place where I knew no one, and had never lived on my own. It worked, as I got a couple of promotions in just a few years.

You may need to widen your range.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

oldyogurt posted:

The funniest incident relating money I can think of is when a 40-ish year old man in a tie pulled out a giant wad of singles to pay for his purchase. "I got these from my other job as a stripper!" he jokes. I kinda just look at him and try to laugh but the rest of the interaction is nothing but awkward.
I made these jokes when I was younger and worked at a car wash, so I had tip money (usually singles) when I paid a cashier most of the time. I'm sorry :(

I swear I tried to be a bit more clever about it, but it probably just annoyed the other retail folks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Robzor McFabulous posted:

a bit slippy

Slippy? I'm assuming you're from Pennsylvania, that's the only place I hear that phrase (unless you meant to type 'slippery'.)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

TShields posted:

Someone up there is looking out for me.. A big line of storms rolled through NC this morning, and the store power died right as me and the cashier walked in the building. It was off from 6:45 until 9:05. But with our systems being down, the store wasn't functional until after 10. Good times! And I get off at 1:00 today, horay!

Meanwhile, I had 5 shingles fly off my roof, and untold damage done by the rain. Wee!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Good luck, TShields! Networking is an amazing thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I posted earlier about this but...I MUST GET THE gently caress OUT OF THIS PLACE! The boss doesn't know what the hell he's doing as far as the future of our store. We're all ready to kill eachother because we're so short staffed and he just won't face facts that he's pushing everyone over the edge. I have to beg people to cover for me so I can get a day off and not get divorced due to my depression/anxiety/nothing but sleeping and i'm loving sick of it. March 27th was my last scheduled day off..i've had two since then..gonna get one more saturday and then who the gently caress knows. The TWO people who can cover for me don't want to do it because it ruins thier weekends and I have a feeling that this is the last time either of them will do it. gently caress THIS! Ok ranting over....for now.

Sounds to me like you're going to be sick. Probably all weekend.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
There's also the carts that cost a quarter to borrow and you get your quarter back when you return it to the rack.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
We have a girl at work pull the "I didn't know I was pregnant" card.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

I'm guessing it means more "Got herself hired and then realised a week into the job she was pregnant" or something like that. Klaus makes a decent point, in that unscrupulous employers will quickly find a way to get rid of you (or worse, not hire you in the first place). In the UK at least that's definitely illegal - if the best candidate for a job happens to be pregnant, then you should recruit them, let them have their maternity leave, and second someone into the role while they're off. If they're clearly the best candidate and you DON'T appoint them then they can sue you senseless.

No, she's been here for a few years. She just had a baby about a year and a half ago, so it's not like she doesn't know what being pregnant feels like. Our company is actually pretty careful about who it lets go, and for what reasons. She's out until the middle of August on maternity leave, but it was still pretty hosed up to not let her teammates know she was going to be out for a while.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Testro posted:

I'm totally confused about your posts. What would she gain by pretending not to be pregnant? Is it not possible that she genuinely didn't realise that she was pregnant?

She's been on thin ice with being late for work, calling off (she's already completely out of vacation and sick days for the year), and even one no-call no-show. I have no idea if she really knew she was pregnant, but even I noticed that she looked pregnant again so I highly doubt that she didn't know.

Basically, I think it's messed up to not plan ahead and to screw her teammates. Pregnancy is a very reasonable excuse to take 6 weeks off, but your team can't plan ahead if you don't tell them.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

spite house posted:

People who order Starbucks-specific drinks anywhere other than Starbucks need to cut it the gently caress out. I used to enjoy being passive-aggressive at people who ordered "venti Frappuccinos" from me at indie coffee shops. To my mind that's like going to a locally-owned burger joint and ordering a Big Mac.

Meh, if I worked at a local burger joint and someone ordered a Big Mac and I had the ingredients, I'd make it as close as I could and charge them accordingly.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

2508084 posted:

They'll just pick something mundane and fire you for that :buddy:

\/ exactly

Except if it's documented that you had made the report, you'd have a tasty lawsuit for retaliation.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Skulduggery posted:

Someone returned a $300 Xbox 360 for $100 because they didn't have a receipt. It made absolutely no sense to me, they could have sold it on ebay or something for $300.

It's because it was stolen, most likely.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

ijii posted:

I'm starting to get irritated by one of my coworkers. This 50 year old guy loves cracking sexual jokes with this 30 year female employee. Harmless fun between the two, but drat he never shuts up about it.

What really frustrated me yesterday is that he popped the question, "Do you believe in God?" to which I replied no. What a mistake that was, I got to hear about how I'm going to hell and that I came from apes and how he has nothing to worry about when he dies blah blah blah.

So much for respecting other people's beliefs in the workplace.

That is what HR is for. Religious harassment has no place at work, and is actually illegal.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Ornamented Death posted:

The scary thing is that there's actually a need to create such guidelines.

It's because people have been assholes and paid fines with pennies, so if they try that crap now they can be held in contempt of court.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Mercaptopropyl posted:

Also having supervisors often respond to me saying "What you're asking me to do is highly illegal. I am not comfortable doing this." with things like "If I tell you to do something you need to do it." I'm talking HIGHLY illegal things like "Your boyfriend's not here? Well do you know his SSN and DL#? Ok good, that's all we need to run two credit card applications in his name." That sort of situation happened almost daily, either that, or something similar yet just as illegal.

When asked to do something illegal at my work, I just tell whomever is asking to put it in writing. They never have, nor will they.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I will never understand why people are willing to spend double to have a product that performs half as well as their competition, just to have something flashy and is known to be expensive to repair. I am talking about Apple and Volkswagen in particular here.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

CaptainPsyko posted:

Show to me this mythical ...

Oh come on, you're being pedantic. Apple charges much more for a comparable PC or MP3 player.

Case in point, the monitor I'm currently using (and have been for 6 years now) was $340. It's a Dell branded display with DVI, VGA, component, and s-video. At the time, the exact same monitor in an Apple enclosure was $799. I mean the exact same monitor, made side-by-side in the same factory. I guess maybe people just think a white, shiny case makes something worth twice as much but not me.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

Some of their products are pretty hilariously overpriced, yeah, but the headline-grabbing ones these days (iPhone, iPad, Macbook Air) are actually quite reasonable.

I've noticed that most of the Apple-hating tech geeks are hung up on listing off feature sets to determine superiority rather than considering the overall design and big picture. Which makes sense for them, since that's what they care about, but the average consumer doesn't care whether their device can play .ogg or can be easily rooted.

I agree with that to an extent. Then my father-in-law asked me to make an mp3 he had into a ringtone on his Iphone. It took me more than an hour before I finally figured it out, when I finally found a 35-step tutorial. It made me feel like a technological idiot until I realized that it was purposefully difficult to do so that people would just pony up an extra buck or two to buy it on Itunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Darth Freddy posted:

Been on suspension since Monday, have yet to hear a single word from work. I am starting to get the feeling I am hosed.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you are hosed. They are just checking with HR to make sure you don't have a legal leg to stand on for being fired. If they haven't called you for any reason, you can be assured that you are done.