Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I saw a trashy looking woman smoking inside the grocery store today, and when she was finished she just dropped the butt on the floor and walked on. I'd always hoped that if I had a situation where I could reprimand another customer I would, but she was pretty scary looking and I was terrified of her at the moment. I'm so disappointed in myself for not telling her how rude and inconsiderate she was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

spite house posted:

People who make a fuss because they don't want to produce ID when writing a check are also pretty awful. It's bad enough that they're writing a check in the first place, all holding up my line and poo poo. "BUT MY DRIVER'S LICENSE NUMBER IS PRINTED ON IT!" That... has nothing to do with the purpose of checking ID, which is making sure you're the person the checks belong to. Baffling.

At the national pet store I work for when someone writes a check we have to ask for ID so we can print the license number on the check, so if they have the license number printed on it I don't need to see ID. I'm betting other stores have that policy too.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

mookerson posted:

Petco stories

I've worked at Petco for going on two years now and for the most part I like my job well enough, but I've experienced all of these stories as well, most of them happen in some form or another every week.

Most of what I don't like about my job is the improper animal care. Not from our store at least, we take fantastic care of the animals. Our aquarium water is pristine, animal habitats always clean with fresh fruits and veggies everyday, sick animals go to the vet. I wish the animals got better socialization, but that's my only complaint with our side of it.

Some of our customers are really good pet owners, but most of them have no idea what they're doing. They stick guinea pigs in hamster cages, try to buy 15 fish at once for a 6 gallon tank, and would rather tie their dog outside all day and stick a bark collar on him rather than try actually training the poor thing.

I try to offer the customers advice but they almost never listen. One big thing I try to get them to do is research about a pet before they get it, especially fish because aquariums end up being a lot more complicated than most people initially realize. I don't even try to sell them our books, I tell them to go to the library or look online. They almost never listen, then ignore me when I tell them not to put too many fish in a new tank and then complain when they all die. And I don't know how many times I hear every day that they can't seriously be expected to do weekly water changes.

Luckily my managers do get behind me 100% if I refuse to sell someone an animal because I don't think they'll take care of it or they won't buy the proper habitat and equipment. Even then we enough problems with people surrendering animals to us several months later because they can't bother taking care of it anymore. Last week someone left a box of tortoises on a shelf with a note that they couldn't care for them anymore.

I'm really passionate about proper pet care so all the neglectful or even the well meaning but terrible pet owners really burn me out, but I have been able to help the people who are listen become better owners. And the people who come in and actually know what they're doing really make me happy, I just wish there were more of them.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
There was a while at my job where I had to ask every customer who came to the register if they had a customer loyalty card, if they wanted to buy a tennis ball, if they wanted to make a donation, and if they were lucky they'd get a customer survey on their receipt that took another minute to explain to them and tell them how we always strive for fives in our store!

I felt terrible having to do that to everyone, and I'd skip half the things if a manager wasn't around.

Now, I drive across town to shop at the Hannaford that's a little more expensive than the Price Chopper down the block from me, because they never ask for anything at the register.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

silversiren posted:

Hours are being cut for summer. I asked for full time and I end up with 14 hours next week. Pretty soon I won't even be able to afford to fill up my car.

I was working 30 hours a week while I was going to school full-time, and now that the semester's over I've been cut to 20 hours a week.

I was supposed to have a full-time internship over the summer that paid more per hour than my retail job does, but they ended up not getting the funding for an intern at the last minute. So I hadn't even started applying for a second part-time since I thought I'd be all set for the summer. I am not going to be able to pay my rent and bills now. :(

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Rick_Hunter posted:

While I was at Staples, they weren't one of the most shoplifted items. But they were the #1 tool of shoplifters. Why? When you can cut a 4" inch slit into a bluetooth earpiece package and take it out in 5 seconds, you're making money hand over fist.

I think they mean shaving razors. They are so drat expensive for such a little pack.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Sankis posted:

I'm also not sure if I'm getting paid for my breaks. I'm no expert by any means, but from what I've gleaned online PA's laws do not require a break but if you're given one that's under 20 minutes you have to be paid for it.

Yeah, when I lived in PA I'd work nine hour shifts without any breaks. At first I thought it had to be illegal, but it turns out PA just has lovely labor laws. If they give you a short break, it does have to be paid at least.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
It's not impossible to get, and it's not very difficult to apply.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Robzor McFabulous posted:

In my local TESCO I almost always see an entirely different problem. It's a "Metro" store, not huge but not one of the really small ones either, so a good chunk of people are only stopping in for a few things. As a result, they have five or six checkouts and about 12-15 self-service stations with plenty of staff to help people using them. However, when I've had to do a big shop there I've found that loads of people refuse to use the self-service stations for whatever reason, leading to huge queues of people with a handful of items in a basket or even actually just in their hands. People with big loads end up waiting for much longer than they would if people just got over it and used the drat things. They're really not that hard to use.

I can use the self-service lanes perfectly fine, but I don't. Even if I'm just buying a few things I go through a lane with a cashier. Since the self-service lanes have been installed the express lanes are never open, and half the regular lanes are closed too. I hate seeing friends lose their jobs because they've been replaced by the self checkouts. I know that a lot of jobs have been automated, and that's not always a bad thing, but it feels more personal when people I actually know have had their hours slashed or been laid off.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I'm (obviously) nine months pregnant and while I work just as hard as I did before I was pregnant, I can't do all of the things I used to do. It surprises me how many customers still ask me to lift heavy things for them. Most customers realize that I shouldn't anymore, and some get upset when I even try to help them with light objects, but I still get asked a few times a shift to lift heavy things. It's always seemingly able-bodied middle aged women and it kind of just confuses me as to why they think I'm the best person to ask to lift a 45 lb. box of cat litter into their cart.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
A scab is a strikebreaker.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Curiosity posted:

And are you sure there are no laws for breaks? I've never heard of that before, but then again the firing thing in Washington blew my mind too.

In my state, PA, "Employers are not required to give breaks for employees 18 and older."

I used to work a job with 9 hour shifts and no breaks, I thought it was illegal but turns out Pennsylvania is totally cool with that.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=563209&mode=2

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Sankis posted:

My state, PA, had time and a half on Sundays until 1994 or something. If you were hired before that you're grandfathered in but everything after that is +$1/hr on Sunday.

I'm in PA and there's no way I get an extra $1/hr on Sundays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Baldbeard posted:

I'm pretty sure I just got scammed today by a vendor a few days after complaining about vendor scams. Guy had me sign something for "waste-water treatment" and was telling me about how "totally normal and regular" the memo was as I was scanning it. As soon as I signed it he's like "Awesome, so you in 30 days, just like usual!" and I've been working in the same place for 3 years and I've never seen him before. It was on my lunch break and I was half way into some rolled tacos -- I guess I just didn't have my full wits at the moment. God only knows what $4000 toilet seat cover purchase I approved.

gently caress it, all vendors are the enemy! :bang:

Do you have a wastewater treatment plant you need an operator for?