Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Supeerme posted:

from the sounds of this thread. this seems to be a mostly American problem. that poo poo won't fly where I work.

(I live in the UK btw.)

My thoughts exactly. I worked retail for six years in Holland, and although I did get the occasional crazy irrational demanding customer like described in this thread they were few and far between. 99% of the people are very nice.

I guess we are not so insecure that we need to assert dominance over people with less fortune than ourselves. At least that's what I think is the reason for all the crazy condescending treatment retail workers receive in America.

PS: If this post is a bit confusing, it's because I'm tired so if I said something stupid it was not my intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ladymikochan posted:

...blankety-blank... ...blankety-blank...
:raise:

You are allowed to use swear words here you know.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think that you retail folk should join forces to overthrow the man.

(I'll cheer from the side because I'm ex-retail)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dickeye posted:

At least towards the end business plummeted and I got to spend eight hours watching TV Land instead of busting my rear end dealing with drunks. The absolute worst though was the morning that I got a call at 6:55 from my manager, telling me the girl who came in after me had quit, so I had to find someone else to come in or work both shifts, after I had already been up for a solid day.

That is such a dick move. HE is the manager, HE should find someone else. :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

froglet posted:

:words:

I've had similar experiences to yours only with the difference being that my manager was a pussy.

:byodood: I WANNA TALK TO A MANAGER
:v: *put :byodood: on hold, explains to provisioning manager, patch customer through to manager, he says yes, end of story*

Dammit! :argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dodgeball posted:

I just started working retail on Saturday. Please take this in the nicest way possible, but I hope this is the only time I have to post in this thread. :)

All your faith in the human race, along with all your hopes and dreams will be crushed before long, don't worry.

ONE OF US, ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Philante posted:

Most soul-crushing experience: Probably the time the store manager wrote me up for something the cashier he was screwing did. Felt amazing when I got him fired two months later.

Pleeeeeaaasee tell us how you managed that. :allears:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The dirtiest of tricks. Well done. :golfclap:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Operation Juicebox posted:

I am still working in an electronics store in the UK but was recently transferred to a smaller branch in a shopping centre when I moved home.
As long as it isn't Dixons, those guys are known for terrible customer service. :q:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tatsujin posted:

It amazes me that the only chain that actually gives their cashiers chairs is Aldi.
It's amazing that here in Holland Aldi is the company that cares the worst for it's workers, especially cashiers.

Yeah they have chairs. Normally in supermarkets here the cashiers are allowed, if there are no customers for a moment, to stretch a bit. Aldi's policy? The amount of time needed for customers to get out their wallets and pay is enough time to stretch and prevent back problems etc.... :pwn:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

alreadybeen posted:

You guys need to move to Europe and work in a grocery. Last time I was over there bought some stuff form a market and the guy ringing my up was just nursing a beer chilling in a chair.

Europe is a big place, with a lot of different people, what country was this?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

alreadybeen posted:

France, believe it was Nice.

French people are generally of the "don't give a gently caress"-variety. Germany for example is very different.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

less than three posted:

gently caress that, base ten superiority. :colbert:

I don't need to know 5k whatever feet in a mile, all I have to do is slide the decimal point around.

Metric fistbump. :D

God's true system.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The General posted:

So, is science fiction like real?

Sure bro. They shoot Star Trek on location.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

I have to explain at least once every two weeks that yes, we have to special-order that; yes, I'm responsible for all of our ordering and I know we have to special-order it; and yes, I'm sure we don't have one "in the back." In the back we have a bathroom and a recycling bin. That's it.

It's funny how people think "The Back" is some kind of magical huge warehouse just filled to the brim with everything they need that day.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I used to work in a store that sold replacement parts for all kinds of things like washing machines, fridges, dryers etc... We also sold bicycle parts, car accessories, audio/video cables, vacuum cleaners and associated bags, electrical installation stuff, printer ink, bicycle accessories etc...

Too numerous to actually list it all, we were kind of a "you name it, we got it" store (but mainly focussing on replacement parts).

I remember people would be really shocked when we didn't carry an item they needed. Sure it makes sense to ask for whatever they needed because there was a good chance we had it, but you can't have everything right? In most cases we could special order it for them anyway so it wasn't that big of a deal.

But then they would ask: "But whyyyyy don't you carry that?" Well maybe because we can't stock every part for every appliance made ever, especially your lovely appliance that almost nobody bought because it was a piece of poo poo?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pastor of muppets posted:

As of a month ago I no longer work in retail, but for almost a year I was a manager at a women's clothing store. On one of my last days working there a customer threatened to sue me because she walked into a mirror.

:stare:
This always amazes me. What is it about these people that makes them so hostile?
I mean, I guess it's just their reaction to hide their shame of walking into a loving mirror but gawd, suck it up. Your own stupid rear end walked into that mirror, how is that the stores fault?

Those things just don't happen here, people are saner I guess.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I just greeted the customers, I could tell wiht 99% accuracy if they wanted to be helped or not, it's just the way they act and look around.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 10, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

froglet posted:

This used to happen to me and my coworkers a lot. Some lady had a massive go at one of my coworkers because she couldn't figure out what 15% of $237.43 was on the spot. As the customer was going on about how 'kids these days aren't taught properly in school' my coworker said really sweetly to her 'excuse me, but I've never been able to do mental maths very well after I was involved in a car accident. If you're going to continue making fun of my disability, you can leave right now'.

The look on the womans face was priceless as my coworker showed her the scary surgery scars on her arms from where they had to bolt her back together.
Haha owned.

quote:

Also, I couldn't figure out what 15% of $237.43 was on the spot either. Guess I'm just an uneducated twit.
Easy, 10% plus half that.

So 23.74 + 11.87 = 35.61 (kids these days... :rolleye: )

And no, I didn't cheat.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well, put yourself in her position. Being disabled sucks. IMHO what you should have done is say: "Of course I can show you the laptop, I just need a few minutes to get the manager and disable the security etc.."

Yeah they should not treat you badly and cuss at you but the least you could do is accommodate her, I mean come on, she had no legs. Not wanting to go through the hassle of unbolting that laptop is plain lazy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I met a 'banned' customer the other day.

Paul has been banned from our store a number of times, but after a few months I guess we forget about it and let him back in. Paul is an older, lonely man. He comes in just to ask questions, and to tell very dirty jokes to the ladies. He never buys anything. He often stays for the better part of an hour, just wasting the time of our associates with jibber-jabber until we tell him it's time to go.

I've only had to deal with him twice and I was able to brush him off each time, but if he comes in more often while I'm working, I can see how it might break me.

We had a guy like that. A few of them actually. It was okay since we were sort of a mom and pop operation so we had a social function in the town.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

vanessa posted:

For an anecdote:

I no longer work retail, but when I was a cashier at a store whose logo is a bullseye...

I can understand the secrecy if you still work there, but if you don't then why shouldn't you just say Target? It's not like they can fire you or something... :confused:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

vanessa posted:

Because I still use my manager as a reference???

Ah, Gotcha.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dell_Zincht posted:

Oh, and my store has decided to open on New Year's Day. For the first time ever. Despite the shopping centre we're located in being shut, save for one other shop. I'm not working it, though :)
If I'd have to work that shift I would probably show up still drunk.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I ordered some food the other day and when the delivery guy left he said: "Enjoy your dinner", I replied: "Thanks, you too!" :doh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My sisters ex does that, it used to be really annoying to go grocery shopping with him.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

Name tags: Generally I clip my name tag on my belt, but when a customer refuses to acknowledge I don't work for the store and as such wont know anything about sales, even after I pull my badge out and tell them "Look, does this say 'Rite Aid/CVS/Walgreens/Insert store here'?". Then they want to see the store manager, who just shrugs and says "He doesn't work here, he wont know about X"

Outside of that no one looks at it. They all call me young man cause I'm the youngest guy in any given work crew by a good 20 years :saddowns:

I don't get it, you spend time at a store looking like you work there but you don't work there?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leal posted:

I remodel stores. I work in the store, just not for the store. Move shelves around, put product up and the tags, give the managers a heads up on whats moving where. Changing security on the shelves, switching out signs. Stuff like that companies are willing to pay for instead of getting their own workers to do it.

Ah, gotcha. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

8 months = new guy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

Our espresso machine broke today, rendering us unable to make pretty much every drink on the menu. We put up multiple signs- including one on the register itself and one on the main door to the store- but roughly every other customer tried to order something we couldn't make despite the fact that they had to pass by at least three signs in order to get to the register and were currently standing in front of a sign itself. What really blew my mind were the amount of people who would try to order an espresso based drink, receive an explanation as to why we couldn't do that and what drinks we could do, look at the menu, and ask for another espresso based drink. That and the people who were all "I want a latte/mocha" and when I explained to them that we couldn't do espresso based drinks went "Oh, I didn't know that had espresso in it!" This is 2011- even Dunkin Donuts has espresso machines- how do you not know what goes into a goddamn latte?

It surprises you that Americans don't know what goes in their food?

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 16, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

roboshit posted:

Not really considering you have a worthless degree in education and you hate educating people, hth

:iceburn:

TShields: That attitude isn't going to get you anywhere. If you're not careful your attitude will shine through and everybody will hate you for being "The guy who thinks he is better than us."

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 21, 2011

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

manguero posted:

It's OK; based on my experience they pretty much deserve it. I have often gotten terrible customer service from auto shops, not to mention how they are always trying to take advantage of customers' ignorance for how cars work to make more money. I know it's a stereotype, but I've also seen it too much to write it off as merely that. At least in retail when someone is trying to upsell you know whether you need the product or not--the same can't be said for most auto repair customers. In high school my auto shop teacher (who had himself worked in and managed auto shops) flatly told us that we should always try to rip off the customer. Well, he didn't put it that way, but an example is that you should charge a customer for a diagnostic even if you don't run it and just "know" what the problem is.
Oh absolutely, and that's the same the world over.

Whenever I go to my car repair place, I expect to be ripped off slightly.
I can try to limit it as much as possible due to having some car-knowledge but you can't really stop them from doing it entirely.

I did manage find a pretty decent mostly honest mom&pop car dealership who actually values repeat business, which helps more than being an informed customer. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Mr. Toad posted:

Note that discrimination is not exclusive to race. In this case it became apparent that you discriminate against total jerkbags.

I find it very odd that people generally don't know the difference between racism and discrimination.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Letting a possible paedophile walk to cover his own rear end, nice.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Didn't you call the police?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pretty sure threatening is illegal.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't you always hate it when some woman is in front of you at the grocery store with a huge cart full of poo poo, then she waits until all the items have been rung up. THEN she proceeds to get out her purse and all coupons and bonus cards or whatever taking like 30 minutes to pay, and THEN she starts packing her poo poo?

:argh:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It sometimes amazes me how incompetent people can be.

I mean no offence when I say this; but managing a Starbucks can't be the most difficult thing in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I took a flight to Leeds-Bradford a few weeks ago with Jet2, and they were handing out surveys before take-off. It always seemed odd to me, since we hadn't actually flown yet.