Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Part-Time Robot posted:

Anyway. I griped in the other thread about Silly Bandz, but it's just become even more irritating when middle-aged women with wrists covered in the things see the bin of them, SQUEAL loudly, and start rooting around for new packs. Seriously, why do sad middle-aged women always have to hop onto fads meant for children? I thought it was bad when the kids threw tantrums when we were out of them, but the teenagers and adults are just... :psyduck:

I'm so glad my store doesn't have these. Well, we had some for about half a day, then the store decided not to get any more thankfully. I only hear bad things about Silly Bandz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Freakbox posted:

God...I work at a major Arts and Crafts store, but I can't actually mention the name anymore.

It sure sounds like you work for the same company I do, but I've never heard anything about a "media agreement." Maybe our store manager just hasn't gotten around to telling us about it. I guess I won't mention it by name just to be safe, but I definitely did in the last thread.

I also work in custom framing, and things are starting to fall apart in our shop. Late orders are piling up because, other than myself, no one will actually work on assembling the frames. There are three other people in the framing department, and each one has a different reason for not getting any orders done:

The first is the frame shop manager. She insists that it's not actually part of her duties to put orders together, instead delegating that to the rest of us. When I tell her that we really need her help anyway because we're falling so behind on orders, she just says she doesn't have time and lists off other things the store manager has her working on. I sympathize that she has so much to do, but as the shop manager she should be trying to do something about our late orders.

The second is our own version of "Wonderboy" but not as bad. Mostly he's just kind of lazy, and if the shop manager doesn't tell him or leave a note telling him something specific to work on, he will spend his shift doing nothing productive. The orders he takes are almost always wrong somehow, and on the rare occasions he puts a frame together it will be really half-assed.

The third person is actually pretty great! Too bad the store manager always schedules her to work on the sales floor or the registers for some reason, and she works in the frame shop maybe one day out of the week.

The end result is that I do maybe 60% to 75% of our frame assemblies myself, and I just can't keep up. It's really depressing when I have a few days off and I come back to work only to find that no orders were completed at all while I was gone, and now a bunch of them are either late or due the next day. And then the store manager criticizes me for spending too much time "hiding" in the shop instead of going out to help customers, when I'm really back there busting my rear end trying to get this stuff done.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Freakbox posted:

It rhymes with "cycles". Do you work there?

Yeah, actually we just got told about the "social media policy" today. From my reading of the guidelines it sounds like I can say mostly what I want as long as I include a disclaimer that I am only stating my opinion and not expressing the views of the company, and also as long as I'm not outright defaming or slandering the company (or its employees or customers, etc.).

I've had plenty of religious customers too. I'm an atheist myself, but I'm perfectly content to let some people think I share their religious views if it keeps them from proselytizing to me. Someone keeps leaving Christian tracts in the store, and I actually like to collect them just for fun. Gets a bit boring when it's just the same ones for a few weeks. I have to wonder who the target audience for these things is, though, considering this is a mostly homogeneous Protestant Christian area already. Not like anyone's gonna have a spiritual conversion in an arts and crafts store restroom either.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Ugh, Toys R Us. When I worked there, there was way too much poo poo we were supposed ask the customer. A typical transaction went like this:

"Do you need any batteries today?"
"Would you like to get a Buyer Protection Plan for that item?"
"You can get 15% off this purchase by signing up for our credit card!"
"Would you like to donate a dollar to Toys For Tots?"

I actually stopped trying to sign up people for the credit card. Every time I had someone sign up for it, they did not get instantly approved for it and therefore did not get their 15% off, so the customer would get mad at me for wasting their time.

I'm glad that now I have a job where I'm just supposed to sell tangible products and services instead of warranties and poo poo.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 29, 2010

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Yeah, there used to be a thread similar to this one for call center workers. I remember reading that thread and thinking that maybe my job wasn't so bad after all.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

silversiren posted:

There is an HR hotline to call .. I'm assuming. I had a coworker call for something different one time but she lost the number. It's not available anywhere online and is not posted anywhere in the store. Asking someone for the number is usually greeted by a "are you sure you want the number?" and then shot down.

Whoa, that can't be right. At my store there's a phone number posted in the breakroom for a hotline where you can anonymously report things like this.

At the three different retail jobs I've worked, they've all had pretty much the same policy that if a co-worker is making you uncomfortable then you report it to your direct supervisor, and if for some reason you are not comfortable reporting to them then move higher up the chain. It sounds like you fear reprisal if you report the situation to anyone in your store, so you should have to right to go to the district manager or corporate HR or whatever. Perhaps my state has better laws about this, but I would think most places these days would treat sexual harassment as a serious issue.

I say get that number if you can, and don't let anyone know why you want it.

I disagree with Coffee Wolf and probably wouldn't tell your father if you seriously intend to report the co-worker's behavior to HR. He might realize it was you who reported him, and you come back to the potential problem of facing reprisal at work.
Depends on what your father is like, though, and if you really think he could work things out amicably with this friend of his.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Zeth posted:

What makes people think that kind of thing is okay? To just...open up things that you havent paid for and mess around with them?

In my store we actually have people who get into the spray paint cans and give them a "test spray" on the shelf or floor, getting paint everywhere and on other merchandise. It's mind-boggling that anyone thinks this is okay.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Buggiezor posted:

Am I wrong about that? The whole thing just gave me a weird vibe.

Customer has three old broken bikes, hatches scheme to replace them for free?
(On preview I see miryei guessed the same thing.)

I hate to be so paranoid about customers' motivations, but certainly I've had times when it appeared customers were trying to scam us for free poo poo. I try not to worry about it if a manager lets them get away with it. Not my decision, not my responsibility, not my money.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Can I go back to the secret shopper discussion for a minute? A few months ago I got a secret shopper report that, to me, seems to be total bullshit and I have to wonder if the shopper just made up the whole thing because they couldn't be bothered to actually do it properly.

I work custom framing at a certain arts and crafts retailer. I've been secret shopped several times so I've gotten pretty familiar with the criteria and while I don't expect to ever get 100%, I can at least avoid the main things we lose points for. Well, somehow I lost points for those things this time even though I always follow them.

I'm just going to list this poo poo:
- Did not have signage advertising the current framing promotion. Bullshit. We have a large banner over the door when you enter the store, another large sign when you enter the framing department, and signs plastered all over the place when you get to the actual framing counter. Did the shopper even enter the store?
- Did not wear gloves while handling the artwork. Buuulllllssshhhiiitttt. I always, always wear gloves because I got burned on my first secret shop for this so I make a point of doing it now. Hell, I even wear them when the customer's artwork is laminated or wrapped in plastic and there's no risk of getting it dirty or whatever. I even have customers comment on it, wondering why I'm bothering to put on gloves just to handle the $5 poster they brought in.
- Did not print an estimate of the order when asked for one.. ...I need a :tearing my hair out: emoticon for this one. I can always tell I've been secret shopped because the customer will be very enthusiastic about the frame design I'm presenting and it seems I've got a nice sale locked, but suddenly they'll say they can't place the order right now and need some time to think about it and could I please print out an estimate for them? So I print that estimate every time, no problem. The only way I wouldn't print one would be if the secret shopper didn't ask for one, but they are required to ask for one as far as I can tell.

The shopper also gave a somewhat inaccurate description of my physical appearance, particularly describing me as "short" when I am a few inches above six feet and probably the second tallest employee in the store. Seriously, my theory is that the shopper came in, glanced at me just long enough to read my nametag and then made up the rest of it. Not having an estimate of their order is very suspicious since I think they are supposed to have that as proof they did the secret shop. At least he or she was nice enough to say I was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about framing because that was the only thing saving my score from being completely in the tank.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

On our nametags the store's logo is larger than the employee's name, and the store's name happens to look like a person's name. I'm not really allowed to say which company I work for, but I'll just say that at least once a week I get a customer who says something like "Thank you for your help, Michael." I don't correct them.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Well, last night was fun. We were supposed to have four cashiers, but for a while we had none. One was a no call no show who later texted another employee to say she just didn't feel like coming to work, another was apparently too dumb to check her schedule and didn't know she worked yesterday so she had to be called in late, another was just late with no excuse I'm aware of, and the last did come in on time but left early claiming to be sick.

Of course this meant everyone working the floor had to run on register instead and no one could get help with finding anything on a busy Saturday.

I feel like our new cashiers have been worse than usual recently. There's one who calls nearly every day to ask when she works next instead of simply checking the schedule for herself which is posted in the breakroom and on the internet, and another who actually once left her register and a whole line of people to help a customer find something instead of paging someone else to help.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Reminds me of when I worked at a toy store one Christmas season. I was regularly scheduled for closing shifts where we usually wouldn't get out until after 1AM, then scheduled to be back at 6AM later that morning. They could have easily scheduled me just mornings or just evenings or separated the shifts so that wouldn't happen, so why they chose to make me sleep-deprived and irritable all the time was beyond my understanding.

Thankfully at my current store the absolute worst case scenario would be getting out around 11PM and being back at 7AM, and even that really only happens at Thanksgiving/Black Friday.

Oh yeah, we're opening at 7 this Black Friday. I was pretty surprised since we opened earlier on previous years, but apparently it's changed this year because we're not really a store that people line up at 5AM for. Apparently it's some strategy to only open when shoppers are done getting their deals elsewhere. I kind of disagree since we definitely still get plenty of business to justify opening at 5 or 6, but I'm not going to complain.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Y'all gonna hate me for this, but somehow I don't have to work Black Friday this year. I asked my manager why, and he just said he needed me more earlier in the week. I do work Thanksgiving evening, though.

But really this is just part of an insane pattern where our store is cutting hours even as we enter peak season. We're always horribly understaffed, and I feel sorry for those working Friday since there won't be enough cashiers and not enough people on the sales floor as always. It's dumb since the way I hear it we're actually making record profits this year.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Today a customer got angry at me because I wouldn't give her an item half price for literally no reason other than because she wanted me to. I told her how she could download coupons onto her phone (and she did have one), but that somehow made her angrier.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Since some states have sales tax and others don't, national chain stores probably just want to have the same price listings everywhere to avoid having to advertise different prices. And then there's areas like mine where the state has a 6% sales tax, but in my city it's 6.5%. Should we have to have special price tags just for our store? If you live in an area with sales tax you really should be used to it, so there's no excuse for being surprised.

Besides, no one should get mad at the store for sales tax. It's the government that imposed the tax, not the company.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Radbot posted:

Also, why do you all care about whether your employers eat a few hundred bucks on a mispriced item or not?

Because losses are typically blamed on low-level workers like us and we have our hours cut?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

That's so sad :smith:. If I tell my boss that I need a particular day or time off he'll try to accomodate me. Space Whale, is there no way your friend can talk to her employers and say "I need these particular days/times off for health reasons, how can we make this work?" or something like that? If it's a regular therapist appointment at the same time each week it should be simple enough to schedule around that.

I guess I have it pretty good, compared to a lot of the stories in this thread. Even though there are plenty of annoyances, I actually kinda like my job.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 2, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I'm starting to think I need to quit my job, though not for the usual reasons one would want to quit a retail job.

You see, I do custom framing full time at an arts and crafts chain store. I've been doing this for seven years, I'm really good at it, and I actually kind of like my job. The thing is, the frame shop hasn't been doing too well lately. We're consistently falling short of our sales goals (though I usually reach my individual goals), and corporate just keeps setting the goals higher and higher into unreasonable levels as if that will help somehow. The whole thing reeks of desperation, and I think it's only a matter of time until the custom framing shop gets shut down for being unprofitable. If that happens I either lose my job or get demoted to part time sales floor work.

If possible, I'd like to get out before that happens and look for a new job. Or at least have some kind of plan ahead of time if/when it happens. Right now I don't know what to do, though. Custom framing is pretty much the beginning and ending where my professional skills and experience are concerned, and there aren't any other opportunities for that in my area. I'm just in a lot of despair right now as I've realized I need to get out but don't see a path to do so.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Freakbox posted:

Aaah....memories.

I wonder what amazingly stupid complications they've added to the sales//whatever//framing procedures since I left store-that-isn't-hobble-lobble. When I left they had just gotten in projectors, thrown a bunch of new rules at us, and had been in trouble for running 40-60% off sales constantly for about half a year straight. So...all the customers were mad that the sales were only bi-weekly. :downs: it's almost like it's too loving expensive in this economy to frame stuff with california redwood tree frames and museum glass. Hm.

customframing.jpg
It needs a sequel along the lines of "I have this three-feet-by-four-feet oil painting, can I get framed for less than $20?"

My store's thing for the past year or more is having discounts like 50% off, then an additional 25% off after that. People keep asking "Oh, so it's 75% off?" Well, no, it isn't. The 25% comes off of the discounted price so it's actually like 62.5% off total, but I'll be damned if I'm going to explain that in any detail. Our saving grace is that everyone is bad at math and doesn't want to think about it.
The latest bullshit, though, is what they're calling "emotional selling" which as it's been described to me sounds like it's just trying to psychologically manipulate the customer into spending more. I won't do it, if only because I lack the emotional awareness and social skills to pull it off. Management can't really complain since I already have the best sales in the store and among the best in the district.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 14, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Sounds bad to me. Having some wiggle room on time for breaks is good, but taking a half hour break is definitely abusing an informal rule. If you're gonna take a bathroom break that long then it's clearly eating into your regular break time. Leaving early when there's still work to be done is also really rude.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

At least you're allowed to tell people you're closing. It's our company's policy not to make closing announcements, and if anyone's still shopping at closing we basically just have to provide aggressive customer service until they get the hint. If the customer doesn't get the hint they get to just keep browsing forever.

The same folks who came up with that bright idea also made us remove our "Employees Only" signs for employee-only areas. I mean they're still employee-only areas but we don't want people to know that because it might make them feel excluded or something? So great having people wander into the warehouse or the breakroom, or even the custom framing shop which even employees aren't supposed to enter unless they're trained for framing. On the other hand, people seeing the warehouse might make them finally realize that "the back" contains only a pile of trash, a shelf of cleaning supplies, and some wet floor signs, rather than the mountains of hidden treasure that they imagine. Wishful thinking, I know.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I find it hard to believe customers are actually so unobservant about signs. After all, if there is one misprinted sale sign in the whole store they will find it and raise a stink about it.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

My store does that ten days in a row poo poo way too often. I actually dread having a weekend off because it means I'm at risk for the damned ten-day-week. I much prefer having, say, Wednesday and Thursday off.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Thankfully my boss called and told me not to come in yesterday or today. There's 18 inches of undisturbed snow covering the unplowed roads in my neighborhood, so it's not like I could go if I wanted to.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I had a transaction today that epitomizes why people hate working registers.

I also just had an encounter with unnecessarily lovely old people.

In my case, there was an old lady who called with questions about poster frames, and I answered those questions to her satisfaction. Then later she came into the store with her husband asking me to show them the frames I told her about earlier. I did, they had some more questions about frames and I answered those, again apparently to their satisfaction. When they decided on what frames they wanted, I rang up their purchase, thanked them for shopping with us and all that, and they went off on their way. Perfectly normal ending to a perfectly normal customer interaction, right?

Well apparently not. They went straight to my manager and complained that I was a bad employee. Was I unhelpful? No. Was I rude? No. According to them, there was just "something" they couldn't define that seemed bad about me and felt strongly enough about it to complain to management and suggest they do something about me. I got pretty upset when the manager notified me of the complaint because it was so arbitrary and baseless, especially since I thought I'd been entirely helpful. Thankfully the manager told me to just shrug it off as random shittiness, it wasn't like she was going to discipline me for such a vague complaint. Still, it was hard not to feel like I was being reprimanded for basically no reason.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 10, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Y'know, it occurred to me after posting that someone could easily interpret my story that way. I'm actually white as hell, have very plain straight hair, no tattoos or piercings, and dress in a reasonably conservative manner.

Honestly I'm starting to think it was just bad body language, which might be difficult for some people to describe as being wrong in any specific way. I have some social anxiety issues and can tense up a little when talking to strangers (so customer service is actually a terrible job for me to have) and maybe I looked like I was uncomfortable while helping them? Even if that's so, still really lovely to try to get me in trouble for something so minor after being nothing but helpful.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 10, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I don't know what a customer was trying to pull tonight by telling me they were a secret shopper. I mean, I've been doing this long enough to know they don't tell you you're being secret shopped. I think she was just trying to mess with me since I wouldn't break coupon policy for her.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

If they did it at home they couldn't make someone else clean up after them. Also people who projectile poo poo onto the walls are probably neither physically or mentally healthy.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Perk of being full-time: I actually get to take a paid vacation this week! :toot:

Downside of taking paid vacation: the way our system works I'm technically "scheduled" for the days I'm on vacation, meaning I've been assigned sales goals for the days I won't actually be there. Can't wait to come back and hear about how my sales are so bad this month.

Whatever, not my problem for the next week. If I'm lucky, I might manage a couple days where I can forget about retail.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Customers were still bitching about how "they couldn't find anything" a year after they re-arranged my last store. Most of them were old, but they were weekly shoppers. And we gave out store maps. :shrug:

Only a year? Here's a conversation I have everyone once in a while:
"Excuse me, where are the [somethings]? "
"Oh, they're right over here, I'll show you."
"Okay, because they were over there." *points to other side of the store*
"You're right, they were....about six years ago."

Pikestaff posted:

Everyone gets a scanner gun modified into a laser gun. New Black Friday event. Winner takes all. :black101:

You probably meant literal laser guns, but actually my store would make a good laser tag arena.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I like self checkout when I have like, two or three items. Faster than waiting in line, and I'm super introverted so it lets me avoid talking to anyone. :blush:

Yeah, this is me. Small number of items, can checkout faster than letting the cashier do it. But the biggest advantage is I always want to just pay for my stuff and leave without going through a forced social interaction.

Some people need an employee's assistance, though, and yet they use the self-checkout anyway. I'm always seeing stuff like a guy waiting on the attendant to check his ID because he's getting beer, but has to just stand there unable to continue checking out his other stuff since the attendant is away fetching a pack of cigarettes for some other moron. Both of them could have gone to an actual cashier and been done with everything in half the time.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I just tried to go in for a shift that started at noon and found out it was pushed back to 4 o'clock. I'm really mad the manager changed my schedule without telling me, and I'm tempted to just not show up for my new evening shift.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

I just tried to go in for a shift that started at noon and found out it was pushed back to 4 o'clock. I'm really mad the manager changed my schedule without telling me, and I'm tempted to just not show up for my new evening shift.

God, why did I go in for my shift? I complained about the shift change but the Manager tried to guilt-trip me saying he never changed the schedule and it was my mistake. Looks like I'll have to join the ranks of people who photograph the schedule so I can prove what was posted.

sweeperbravo posted:

Two days off in a row was a most delicate treat. I feel like a good deal of what I hated about my old job had to do with scheduling. I imagine this goes for many people in this thread. If I had been able to say, "Yes, friend, I can go to your party because I know I always have Thursdays off" or even just having regular enough hours to have a steady bedtime, I think that would have resolved anywhere from 25-33% of what I hated about working there.

Yeah, really. I recently had a friend propose a weekly board game night for our circle of friends, and it just made me sad because I want to participate but my schedule is so inconsistent and unpredictable that there's not a single evening that would allow me to attend with any regularity.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 26, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I didn't have time to do my job today because I was doing someone else's, who was covering for someone else, who had run out of hours.

Yeah, I have this problem a lot. I get told to cover the sales floor because the sales floor person is on register because one or more cashiers didn't come in. That means there's no one doing my job.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

UZworm posted:

:j: WHY CAN'T I USE ALL OF THESE COUPONS? THEY'RE ALL REAL?
:crossarms: Well, it says here that you can only use one per purchase.
:j: I PURCHASED TEN OF THEM!
:colbert: Yes, there are ten of them being purchased in this one single purchase.
:j: WE'LL DO EVERY ONE SEPARATELY THEN!

Naturally, my call for a second checker went unheeded until we were actually through with this.

So glad in my store it's policy to refuse to do this. If the customer really wants to do multiple transactions they can start over at the back of the line instead of holding everybody else up.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I think my days are numbered at my store. I thought I'd been doing pretty well the last few months after a rough patch earlier this year that had me near-suicidally depressed. But then today the manager pulled me aside and raked me over the coals, saying my sales were bad, the customers hate me, and the managers think I'm rude and unhelpful. I always thought I was smart and friendly at work despite my social anxiety, but apparently everyone else sees me as a stupid rear end in a top hat. She said I had a month or two to turn things around, and while there was no ultimatum or threat of punishment explicitly attached to that statement I felt it was implied I could be fired or demoted from my full-time position. Definitely not doing good things for my anxiety or depression.

I just don't know where things went wrong. After eight years here it's only been the last year or so that everybody has been treating me like I'm an incompetent jerk. I wish I could explain to them how my mental state might have affected the quality of my work for a while but it's improving now, however I think that would just make things worse and they'd only see me as emotionally unstable and want to get rid of me anyway.

While I'm certainly capable of the improvements in work quality and attitude that they want, I have to ask myself if it's worth putting in that kind of effort for an employer that would treat me so harshly after years of reliable service. I really want out of here, I just don't know how to get out.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

I work in custom framing so it's not like I'm stuck on register all day. If anything it's pretty much the craft store equivalent of the meat department you mention.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Store radios are a great tool, in theory. In practice... nobody can really use them right. Somebody is either letting go of the mic too soon, speaking too loud, too soft, etc. Even when you do it right, there are places in the building that interfere with reception, like the coolers.

Our dumb radios always cut off the first word you say unless you hold down the button and wait a second before speaking, but of course no one seems to have the patience to do that. If there's a phone call for me then the cashier will radio out "Framing, call on line 1" but all I or anyone else hears is "...call on line 1." Naturally this gets me in trouble because I get accused of ignoring calls when I legitimately have no idea there's a call for me, and the impatient moron cashiers are never held accountable for not using the radio right.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Good on ya, UZWorm. I recently went through a similar situation. My department manager threatened to have me fired over performance issues, but her criticisms were mostly exaggerations and even a few outright lies. The legitimate problems I did have were mostly because I had difficulty with some tasks because I was so miserable on account of my department manager constantly bullying me, treating every little mistake as if it was a huge catastrophe, and just generally undermining my self-esteem so I was in a constant state of stress. In fear for my job, I busted my rear end for a month doing some of the best quality work and friendliest customer service I've ever done, and succeeded in proving my competence. Finally one day I was told I was under no more threat of termination. I gave my two weeks notice the very next day, because seriously gently caress that store and its abusive management team.

Tomorrow is my last day. I'd celebrate, but unfortunately I don't have another job lined up so I have no idea how long I'll be unemployed. Certainly it shouldn't be hard to get back into retail with my eight years of experience in customer service, but if I could somehow use that experience to get a non-retail job that would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Half-carts rate high on the list of things that piss me off. You look at them and you might be inclined to think, "Oh, this is a good idea." People that are only getting a few things ( and have forgotten hand baskets exist ) can just grab one of those and leave the full carts for people that need them, righto?

Nah. I have yet to see one of those half-carts that wasn't fit to burst like a metal cornucopia with wheels on, which is a bitch if you've got to pack all the poo poo back into that thing. Half the time we'd end up repacking the order in a proper cart to avoid damaging anything.

They're also extremely popular, especially with old women, but they make up the minority of your cart stock. On a busy day you'd end up with a gaggle of geriatrics standing around like lost pups, looking for one of those things- and could you go get one?

The drat things also suck because people, being people, just randomly shove carts into the corrals and screw everything up. You'd think it would be obvious to shove the little ones in one side, and big ones in the other. :shrug:

Half carts are perfect for me because I get just enough stuff that a handbasket becomes too heavy to carry. I also just want to get my stuff, pay for it, and leave, so half cart lets me weave around the dawdlers much better than a full cart would. And of course having retail experience myself with a lot of gripes about how people handle carts I always put them away in the corral properly.

Guess I didn't think about how so many other people want to use them and I could be inconveniencing others. I'd be happy to use the full carts but they're so drat bulky.