Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't tell you I have an obsession with destruction. I've made explosives before for everyday use, I will level city blocks just for the thrill.
My Gamestop has been a fence for drug addicts and scumbags to sell games they've stolen to get money for a long, long time, and it makes me sick. The corporate policy until recently was that as long as it's not shrink-wrapped, and unless they actually tell you that the stuff is stolen, we have to give them all the money they want. Last year, one particular woman was trading in three or four of those Wii Remotes with the Motion Plus included every couple of days. We eventually had a trash bag stuffed with thirty or so of the drat things.

I'm not sure what the local Wal-Mart and Toys 'R Us are up to, but these people are practically walking out of those stores with wheelbarrows full of games. Since their plan was working, the thieves wound up with a large group of twenty or so people, doing this all the time, every day. After giving these assholes money so many times, my conscience was killing me. Eventually, we managed to complain to corporate enough to be allowed to refuse stuff that's incredibly suspicious.

Once someone's traded in something really shady, (Frictionless slick box, perfect disc, game just came out, excess of four or five games that still cost $60, etc. etc.), we'll write down their name and never take anything from them ever again. If it's someone we've never taken before, I've gotta give it to them once, to give them the benefit of doubt, but when you're trading in three or four games that came out this week, for a forth of what they cost, it's pretty obvious.

:saddowns: : "Trading in Halo Reach, Spider-Man Shattered Dimensions, and Madden 2011 already? Those haven't been out very long!"
:) : "YEAH, WELL I GOT 'EM FOR MY KIDS AND THEY JUS' DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"
:saddowns: : "You're only getting $65 for these three. Are you sure?"
:) : "I GOTTA GET GAS TO GO HOME! THEY DON'T PLAY 'EM NO MORE!"

:) : "'ey man, I need money for these." *plops down nine Wii 4GB SD cards*
:saddowns: : "Why do you have so many?"
:) : "I DON'T NEED 'EM, ALRIGHT?!?"

To steal games from Wal-Mart, the security device must be taken out. Their standard technique for this is to smash the top of the box. Once we stopped accepting any games with the top smashed, they just started trading in games with NO box. The day before yesterday, a scummy looking guy and his friend both traded in a copy of the newest Madden and Halo each, with no boxes. When asked where the box was, I got a "Fuckin' dog ate up all my boxes, man!". I took them in because the guys weren't on the list yet, but I put them on there.

Yesterday, they come in again, and one of them puts down THREE copies of Halo Reach and two copies of Madden, no boxes. I couldn't believe it.

:saddowns: : "You've gotta be kidding me"
:) : "Hey man, I need money for these"
:saddowns: : "There is no way I can take these."
:) : "Huh? Why not? What the hell, man?"
:saddowns: : "You guys were in here yesterday and traded in a bunch of these."
:) : "YEAH? SO WHAT?!? SO FUCKIN' WHAT? HUH?"

I asked them to leave, which they did, but only after knocking my standees over and calling me a bitch.

I'm so damned tired of these people. It didn't used to be this bad. I used to really enjoy my job, and I love helping people, but these assholes are making me a paranoid wreck. I'm starting to hate coming to work. I've started second-guessing myself whenever anyone trades something in for cash now. I realize I probably shouldn't care about any of this, but the fact that I'm indirectly helping these assholes make a living out of stealing stuff makes me want to throw up.

Also, stop spinning my spinning gift-card rack so fast, you damned kids!

Normalman fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

I didn't tell you I have an obsession with destruction. I've made explosives before for everyday use, I will level city blocks just for the thrill.
I've had it with these thieves selling their stolen merchandise in my Gamestop. It's been a problem for a long time and we've finally made a method of dealing with it that works most of the time. If you get a suspicious trade in, (Usually a game that just came out not a day or two ago, either in an obviously untouched case that's still slick to the touch, or just the disc and manual because they had to smash the box in a Wal-Mart bathroom to get the security thing out. And of course, they want cash.) give them the money for it the first time, then take their name down. When the come back in the next day or two with usually the same game, we can refuse them.

Most of them put up a little resistance, but after the clerk simply repeating "I'm sorry, I can't take this." four or five times, they get the hint and simply leave. The guy I got yesterday took it all the way to the breaking point though.

It was the mall's Halloween event, so we were incredibly busy, and the store is full of little kids. About five or six people down the line I see this guy, holding the discs and manuals for Rock Band 3 and Force Unleashed II. For the record, those came out last Tuesday. I recognized him immediately. He and a friend of his had done the same thing with multiple copies of Halo Reach and Madden '11, and had gotten pissed when I wouldn't take more copies of them the next day. He had a little posse of three or four guys with him this time. I was in for it.

When his turn comes, he goes to my new coworker's register, and I immediately switch places. Before I can say a word, he bellows out "NOT YOU AGAIN! This ain't fair!"

:( : "I can't take any of your stuff today sir. I'm sorry."
:argh: : "Why the hell not? You did this to me last time! Why the hell not?"
Sidekick : "Yeah! Why not?!?"
:( : "I can't take any of your trade ins, and if you're going to be yelling like this, I'll have to ask you to leave."
:argh: : "THIS IS BULLSHIT! FUCKIN' BULLSHIT!"
:( : *My hands start trembling. This isn't going well.* "Hey man, please watch your language, there's kids in here."
:argh: : "WELL, IF YOU'RE REFUSING ME SERVICE, I THINK I CAN DO WHATEVER THE gently caress I LIKE!"
:( : "Whuh-a... Uh..."
:argh: : "YOU BETTER CALL SECURITY RIGHT loving NOW, AND THEY'LL MAKE YOU TELL ME WHY YOU'RE DOING THIS."
:( : *trying to sound cool, failing totally* "I-I would love for you to- I would love to- to call security. *dials phone*
:argh: : "I'M GONNA GET YOU FIRED BOY! I'M GONNA COMPLAIN!"
:( : "I'll give you our customer complain number. That would be great."
:argh: : "FUCKIN' CUSTOMER COMPLAINT NUMBER! BULLSHIT!"

At first, his friends were pumping their fists and saying "Yeah!" and "Right? Right?", but at this point they were getting freaked out and uncomfortable and one of them starts pulling on the guy's sleeve and saying "Dude, we gotta get outta here!" As soon as I get through to security, the guy immediately changes his mind.

:argh: : "YOU KNOW WHAT, NEVER MIND! I'M JUST GONNA GO! AIN'T EVER COMIN' TO THIS DUMP AGAIN!" *storms out*

He and I both knew exactly why I wasn't taking in his crap. I guess he was trying to get me to actually accuse him of stealing, which would land me in hot water. I still have trouble believing that there are people so self-centered that they'll cuss and rant like that in front of a group of kids. Everyone else in the store was speechless, but started making fun of the guy as soon as he was gone.

I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to confrontations, but I'd go through that a hundred more times before I give those scumbags a dime.

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

Another fun day at Gamestop, ringing up a middle-aged woman's order, with her silent 8-10 year old kid next to her.

:) : Okay, do you have your Power Up Rewards discount card today?
:witch: : I guess so. Hold on, hold on... *fishes through purse for about ten seconds*
:) : If you don't have your card on you, I can look it up by phone number, no problem!
:witch: : No. Hold on, hold on *keeps going for twenty more seconds*
:) : *feeling awkward* It's no trouble at all, If I could just get your phone num-
:witch: : Don't be in such a HURRY! I'm SORRY, alright?!?
:( : I-I apologize!
:witch: : *keeps going, eventually finds it.* HERE!
:( : Th-thank you. *beep* That'll be 13.59.
:witch: : *gets out wallet* I'll go as FAST as I CAN. I know you want me OUT of here.
:( : I apologized to you ma'am. I'm sorry.

As I was getting her games, she said "Don't go to QUICKLY in your RUSH now! I want the right ones!"

:( : Here you are ma'am. Have a nice d-
:witch: : SIIIIIIIGGGH. *turns and leaves without a word*
:( : (What in the hell was her problem? Dear God!)

I was nothing but warm and smiling and polite to this woman, like I try to be with most everybody. I'm not quite sure what happened.
Of course, as I got back from my break later in the day, my manager tells me that I had gotten a complaint filed by a customer, saying I was extremely rude and that I was practically shooing her out of the store in my obvious mad rush to clear the store of customers so I could laze about. Lady, you can project whatever insane delusions you want onto me, but this lowers my chances of the promotion I was gunning for. Thanks, you mean bitch.

Normalman
Sep 30, 2008

It wasn't a big deal or anything, but I was kind of unnerved by this for the rest of the day. Some scraggly teenager is buying the latest Call of Duty from my store.

:) : That'll be *amount of money*, please!
:allears: : OK, sure. Whoops! Dropped my wallet!
:) : No problem.
:allears: : *gets back up* Whoah, look what ELSE I dropped! *shows me wrapped up condom*
:) : Uh... Uh-huh.
:allears: : I thought it would be funny to carry around, but I didn't think anyone would SEE it! Uh-oh! Hahaha!
:) : ...
:allears: : I guess I should be more careful!
:) : That's *amount of money*, please.

What the hell man, are you trying to impress me or something?