Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, I've got a recent story now that we're on the subject of lovely coworkers. I work produce at Walmart, and since I've been scheduled to work late nights recently, I've had to close the backroom where we store all our stuff so the next guy who comes in doesn't have to worry if the cutting boards or sinks are sanitized. This basically involves cleaning and sanitizing the sinks/floors/tables, taking out all organic products to a dumpster specifically for organic products, and taking out the trash.

So while I'm taking organics to the back, which involves going through the warehouse in the back, a truck pulls in, and everyone who works the warehouse starts unloading it while I'm throwing produce in the dumpster. As I start leaving to go back up front and start cleaning the floors, one guy stops me and states that everyone has to help unload the truck. I tell him that I'm busy closing the produce backroom and that I'll get written up if I don't get it done. He just lets out a frustrated sigh and goes back to unloading the truck.

I didn't blame him for being frustrated. I probably would be too, but at the time the truck came in, I had about half the time I needed to finish what I was doing before I got off the clock, and I certainly didn't have time to do his job. However, I don't think I made the "I'm busy" point clear enough, because, as soon as this guy clocks out to go to lunch, he walks into the produce backroom while I'm cleaning the floors and starts trying to lecture me.

:mad: What does your nametag say?
:raise: Control Volume.
:mad: Underneath that.
:raise: Sales Associate.
:mad: That's what mine says too if I was wearing it. It means that when a truck comes in, everyone has to help out unloading it. I had to go to lunch an hour late because there were only two people unloading the truck.
(The truck was only there for around twenty minutes, and there were around 4-5 people in the warehouse at the time)
:raise: Well, I'm busy, and I'm already going overtime trying to clean these floors, so I don't have time to help with the warehouse.
:mad: So? You're part time, right? Management doesn't care if you go overtime, and I'm going to get written up because I didn't get my job done.
:raise: I'll get written up if I don't get mine done.
:mad: You know what, nevermind.

At which point he storms off and presumably goes to lunch. So, instead of getting people who are working in the warehouse to help, people who presumably are more knowledgeable at that particular job, he tries getting me, the guy who's only time in the warehouse is spent walking through it. Then he starts lecturing me while I'm trying to do my job to tell me about how I should be doing his. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

-If you think an empty watermelon display case is disappointing, wait until you get a load of the actual watermelons. I worked produce at a store where the manager was constantly in trouble with higher-ups for having loads of bad produce on display, and there is little in the universe that is more unsightly, or attracts flies faster, than a batch of overdue watermelons (the tomatoes attracted flies faster). Really nothing in that produce department was safe to eat unless it was a banana. People loving love bananas, keeping that up was a full time job. My manager, a married man, was seriously thinking of going to Iraq instead of working at Walmart.

Haha loving Walmart produce, had the great pleasure of working there for a couple months as a summer job and I worked my rear end off to actually get it into decent shape, not because I liked the company or my job or was proud or anything, but there was no way I was going to let moldy apricots sit on the shelf. Everything just disgusted me enough to overcome what I'm sure would be apathy if I weren't constantly fixing things. The fact that my supervisor hated her job and by extension everyone who worked for her certainly didn't help either.

Watermelons first, watermelons often came into the store, and despite selling nearly a pallet a day at the low prices, we'd get a few batches that had rotting watermelons at the bottom of the giant cardboard container they shipped in on. I knew they were there because it had the absolute nastiest smell produce could make, so I'd have to dig up watermelons, and either get lucky and see the one with mold and juice all over it, or accidentally grab it and get that mold and juice on my hands and not be able to rid myself of the smell until I got off the shift and took a shower.

Roma tomatoes were wonderful little shits that were never good even when we received them, so about a quarter of the romas we got were written off before they even made it to the shelves. The rest had to be sifted through daily to catch all of them because once they got mold, they'd spread to the three right next to them. We almost never had grape tomatoes because I had to scrap most of them out of the box to mold and the rest sold out extremely quickly, so they were the most common item customers asked about after limes (we never had limes shipped in for some reason). The other tomatoes weren't much better but I didn't have to cull many of them since they were such high volume. Don't buy tomatoes from Walmart.

The aforementioned apricots (and nectarines and plums) were always rotting after I hadn't worked in a couple days since everyone else didn't want to touch them; one time I took a half-full container of plums off the shelf and replaced it with a new one because nearly every single plum inside was rotting. Had my supervisor chew me out when I didn't want to eat a piece of a plum she was giving to customers because I made the plums look bad, but gently caress I'm not putting those things anywhere near my mouth. Most of these instances were due to extreme apathy from other workers, however, so I can't blame the warehouses too much for it.

What I can blame the warehouses for, however, is the one time they shipped literal tons of plums to us in the span of a week. Produce only gets a small produce cooler, and it usually has a pallet of stuff that doesn't have room on the shelves. As I discovered in this wonderful event, you can only fit 4 pallets into the cooler, so when we were stuck with 5 pallets of plums one day, supervisor just stuck a pallet on the sales floor, got clearance to sell them for 33c a pound, and then we had gotten rid of three pallets in a single day due to ridiculously stupid prices. Imagine my surprise when, the next day, I walked in and discovered that we'd been shipped another 3 pallets. My brain just switched off for a couple minutes, and I remember staring at them blankly as every single thought in my head just sort of derailed and disappeared. I could not comprehend plums. I then spent the rest of the day in shock at the absolute stupidity of the people who decided we needed them, but maybe it was finally over now that we had gotten 8 pallets of plums, some of which we were now scrapping just because we didn't have any place to put them. We got two more the next day, and the day after that.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

litany of gulps posted:

I'm telling you, man. Dairy beckons. Dairy kills lazy idiots because they don't want to check out of dates or clean. If you like being clean and you have the presence of mind to understand where and how out of dates happens, dairy is bliss. If you are the sole stocker and you rotate, nothing will ever be out of date. If nothing expires and your counts are right, nothing will ever be out of stock. Then you just clean and meditate in your cooler. You achieve retail nirvana.

Frozen is backstock hell. Turkey hell. Too much ice on the fourth of July hell. Produce is rotten garbage hell. Dairy is no trash, if done right. Dairy is perfect trucks, if done right. Dairy is perfect temperature coolers. Dairy is retail Buddhism. Ohm, motherfucker.

Lol maybe Ive told this story but when I worked for a grocery store, I ended up being the guy who was somewhat competent at everything so they would get me to do odd jobs. One of those odd jobs was facing one aisle of dairy and pulling anything expired, and I ended up overfilling a cart with expired yogurt and cheese and poo poo, some of which was over half a year over expiration (I think one was a full year), and then left it in the dairy cooler right behind the door so it was the first thing the dairy manager saw when she started her shift

Apparently (unfortunately our shifts didnt overlap much so I wasnt able to witness this) she was furious when she saw this, stormed up to the manager asking what dipshit did this, and was calmly informed that it was all expired and she was going to happily inventory everything in that cart that day while still doing all of her other day to day stuff. She and I werent on speaking terms for the short amount of time I worked there after that