Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Dodgeball posted:

I just started working retail on Saturday. Please take this in the nicest way possible, but I hope this is the only time I have to post in this thread. :)

Don't worry, it won't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Any other backroom goons loving the return of holiday shopping?

Our new store manager expects us to pull stock from the backroom, push it to the floor (which is the sales floor's loving job, not ours), get our backstock finished up (the overnight team always leaves a ton for us, and then gets pissed when we leave any for them :razz:), and whatever other favors he'd like us to do, which is usually dumb poo poo like moving pallets around to make the backroom look nicer :downsbravo:. This is basically 12+ hours worth of work, and we're supposed to get it done in less than eight.

The guy has no loving clue how long it takes us to do stuff in the back. Of course when we don't get stuff done on time, which is always because we're expected to do the work of twice as many people in half as much time, we get bitched at.

Where I work there's only two backroom guys during the day, and later on there's only one until store closing (that would be me, who gets stuck with the store manager's to-do list unlike the other guys). The job is tolerable up until, well, this time of year, when poo poo gets crazy.

I cannot loving wait until the end of this semester when I can get a job that doesn't make me want to kill myself every shift. Like everyone else in this thread I would love to tell him to go gently caress himself and walk out but I can't. :smith:

roboshit fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 21, 2010

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Douginc posted:

More backroom bullshit

Yep, red 'n khaki robot here. I'm loving the fact that despite their emphasis on "teamwork" and all that bullshit usually dayside backroom gets to do someone else's job about half the day. Do WE ever get any help? gently caress no.

Our scheduling is really bullshit. We have two people scheduled during the slower part of the day and one during the shitfest that is the afternoon and evening. What I loving love is that every single loving day, at about 5:30p when I'm running around the backroom like crazy trying to get the pulls done within the hour, someone always always ALWAYS calls for a loving crib to be pulled and brought to guest services. gently caress you. Pulling a crib down and taking it to the front of the store takes about ten minutes, which eats into my hour. It's even better when this happens when I've still got pulls to do and I have five minutes left in the hour. I can't really tell them to wait a minute, because the customer guest is always right or something, but then it's still my fault that the pulls weren't finished on time.

Of course, if we had two people scheduled throughout the day this wouldn't be a problem at all. We could get the pulls done in about 30 minutes and then spend the rest of the hour working on the manager's pretty-please list or backstock or something. Oh wait, we'd just get called out to go work on the sales floor because it's not like we have anything to do in the back.

Oh, and I recently found out that a loving cashier makes more than me. A brand new one too, not one of those 30 year retail veterans. :suicide:

Dog Blogs Man posted:

My store has had christmas carols for 2 weeks so far, and from early december we have to wear particular christmas clothing. I'm just about ready to kill myself because the music is mind destroying, and there is more than a month of it to go. Most customers don't seem very impressed at having it shoved down their throats this early in the year either.

I feel really bad for the guys who work in electronics at my store, they used to have to listen to this really stupid jingle all day but for the last three weeks it's been Christmas bullshit.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

I really hope my boss decides to keep one of the seasonals and fire me on December 26th. :shepicide:

roboshit fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 19, 2010

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Meow Cadet posted:

My company won't let us leave the building on our 15 minute breaks, because "what if you got run over by a car on company time." Is this standard procedure? Or is my company just paranoid?

They do this at my store also. Last year a seasonal got in some poo poo for walking out to his car to get something on his 15. :hurr:

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

My store's assets protection guys are like the :smug:gest cunts ever.

Grats dudes, you get paid $8 an hour to play pretend-cop.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

TShields posted:

I have a loving degree, I'm above this poo poo.

Not really considering you have a worthless degree in education and you hate educating people, hth

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

BigDave posted:

Any recommendations as to what I should do with my last days?

Clear the backroom's inventory from the system

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Handing in my two weeks notice tomorrow :toot:

gently caress retail forever, I'm out

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Also, did you guys know there's some show on TLC called 'Extreme Couponing'? The previews showed chubby suburban housewives buying carts and carts of things just so they could use their coupons. One woman said she hated to spend money at the grocery store. Just the previews made me rage. Just women toting carts and carts of poo poo they didn't need because they knew they'd get it for pennies or even free.

I just heard about this and I got pissed despite not even being in retail anymore.

Show's gonna cause at least one retail worker suicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Sales floor people treat backroom people like poo poo. I got a lecture the other day for not knowing the procedure to get fish for people. Gosh I'm sorry I only know where every single thing in the store is, can activate both pre-paid and contract cell phones, sell hunting and fishing licenses, can mix paint, can make keys, and can work a cash register. And I do all those things on top of my "real" job which is on a strict time limit where I get loving graded every day.

Yep. My favorite Target memories are when a manager would tell me to work the floor in addition to my duties in the backroom because we didn't have enough sales floor team members. So not only was I in charge of making sure EVERY SINGLE PULL gets pulled in time despite being chronically understaffed (my Target always had two backroom team members during the slow part of the day and one team member when things got crazy. every single day. :suicide: and I always worked the busier half of the day) but I had to do the sales floor team member's job too on top of that.

You can imagine all the 90 year old grandmas getting mad because I didn't know exactly where their loving bug killer or whatever was because I don't loving work the floor. And of course our PDAs are slow as gently caress looking up item locations.

Oh, why did I miss a couple pulls last hour? Because you told me to go do someone else's job in addition to my own, fuckass.