Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I work in a supermarket. Because they only ask me to work Saturdays for a few hours and the coworkers are awesome, I've kept up with working Saturday shifts even though I work Monday-Friday in tech support. However, it's a little demoralising when my first payslip from the tech support job arrives and they pay me more for two weeks than the supermarket does in two months. I don't really understand why the supermarket gives me so few shifts - wouldn't it be cheaper to get rid of me and hire some 15 year old to work the 4-5 hours on a Saturday I normally do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

AlmightyBob posted:

gently caress old ladies, they see you coming and refuse to get out of the way. Old guys? Move as soon as they see you. But old ladies are hateful :(

I got a lot of this at my last retail job. Thankfully I no longer work there. Though I find it amusing that there seems to be an inversely proportional correlation between how much courtesy a person thinks they 'deserve' and the proportion of courtesy they receive.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Aug 6, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cheezymadman posted:

pet peeve

I fixed it, please don't subject me to whatever harsh but subtley ironic fate that befalls people who inadvertantly trigger your wrath. :smith:

Also, is it just me or do some people (for some reason senior citizens in particular) come to grocery stores for... nothing. This would be understandable if it were a one-off thing, but there were a few customers who'd arrive, look around for a bit, then leave after letting us check their bags. I honestly have no idea why they kept showing up to the same supermarket several times a week and only buy something on only one of the occasions they stop by. Unless they're lonely and they desperately needed human contact.

froglet fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 6, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

DaRealAce posted:

Sadly I do not have PMS
Isn't this a good thing? :iamafag:

Even though I now work in tech support, the customer complaints are along the same vein. They got x but thought they'd actually get y and are complaining because z is happening. Oh and they're rude. They're always rude.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Casull posted:

The Devil Queen of Coupons

Sounds like a website I stumbled across a while back about the 'frugal lifestyle'. It seemed the people behind the websites' entire lives revolved around shopping at second hand stores, clipping coupons etc to keep out of debt. They seemed to treat debt as a horrible thing that nobody can responsibly control.

More power to them for managing to be debt free, but their attitude sounded exactly like the crazy nectarine lady who I may have described in the last retail thread.
(the tl;dr of it was some lady accused me of overcharging her for a nectarine. The overall difference between prices was about 10 cents, and it's not like she was short on cash. I'm still a little confused as to why she a.) was convinced I was wrong yet b.) refused to take me to where she got the nectarines so I could put a price amendment through).

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Here's my bitch about retail:
Retail stores raise the expectations that customers have of all businesses. This includes:
- Tech support companies
- Utility companies
- Pubs/Restaurants
(you get the idea.)

I'm not too sure about anywhere else, but here in Australia the law is that you can return something if it's faulty, if it's nothing like samples/display models you were shown or if it doesn't do what the salesperson said. Of course, major retailers and supermarkets like to pull the 'we will refund anything and everything' card to ensure customers will come back to their business. Which obviously leads to situations where the customer believes that they're entitled to more than they actually are.

There is a simple solution to this: major retailers start refusing to return something simply because it 'was the wrong colour' or 'I made the wrong choice'. Maybe then we'll get nicer customers and an better environment for the staff of sales-related companies.

A conversation I sometimes have with customers:
:byodood: I want to return this modem!
:j: Is there a fault with it?
:byodood: Well it doesn't do wireless and [brand] does for the same price I paid you!
:j: Those details were included on the online application, and you seemed to have filled it out. We even configured it for you for your connection and delivered it for free.
:byodood: WELL I DON'T WANT IT ANYMORE.
:j: You're not entitled to a refund simply because you made a wrong selection. We informed you at the time that you could either buy one from us preconfigured for your connection directly, or get one from a third party and go through setup with us by calling.
:byodood: I WANNA TALK TO A MANAGER
:j: *put :byodood: on hold, explains to provisioning manager, patch customer through to manager, she says no, end of story*

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

I just have to ask you retail folks this - how are consumers supposed to tell the difference between "actually, I'm too lazy find the product you want" and "really, we don't have the poo poo you want"?

Plenty of stores have a computerised inventory system. Type in the brand of the item and select it from the list it can tell you stuff like how much it costs the store to buy in, how many are in the store, if there are any back orders, etc.

If they type it into the computer and they say 'sorry, we don't have any in stock', it's a rare occasion the staff member is lying.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

That reminds me, time to stock up on candy so when I do xmas shopping I can pass some pieces to the cashiers. I remember working one Xmas during a neverending shift, and when a customer bought me some small candy and told me to have a good day, a contrast to the assholes before her, I almost started crying at the register. I still remember her years later. Godspeed, candy lady.

Exactly this happened to me once! Except it was with a bottle of water rather than a sweet. Since it's summer time in December/January in Australia, working near the front doors of the shop were hell, particularly on days where it got above 35C. One day I forgot my water bottle in the break room, and after about 45 minutes of being surrounded by 38 Celcius heat and having to do the whole customer service schtick I was ready to faint. A kind old couple saw me and asked if I was alright, and after hearing I didn't have any water with me they purchased a bottle of water and gave it to me. I nearly cried when they did that, I was so grateful.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

manguero posted:

Makes you wish you could at least shame the person and make them feel like the horrible person they are.

To be fair, somebody tried pulling this on me once and I felt indignant. I'd told some sort of environment protection group at a bus terminal that I would give them $2 after getting a bus ticket home as I only had a $5 bill on me. Instead of them saying 'hey I'll just swap you that fiver', they instead accused me of being a cheap bastard.

I ended up walking away from them and making a donation to their cause over the internet

Actually, that's a good reason to hate retail - lovely donation panhandlers outside the shops. Sometimes they're really good, like when my former workplace sold cakes and biscuits for a hospital, but last year around Christmas time some kid showed up at the shop I worked at, and started busking for money. He wasn't even any good and we all very quickly developed an intense loathing for the French Horn and every Christmas carol written for that instrument because he was there the entire day and we could hear him.

I wish they'd just called the police on that kid - parents should be giving him pocket money, not the general public and there's an excellent reason why people need a busking licence.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Nov 8, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

JackTheTripper posted:

So many people get hostile and aggressive over the most trivial things.

This used to happen to me and my coworkers a lot. Some lady had a massive go at one of my coworkers because she couldn't figure out what 15% of $237.43 was on the spot. As the customer was going on about how 'kids these days aren't taught properly in school' my coworker said really sweetly to her 'excuse me, but I've never been able to do mental maths very well after I was involved in a car accident. If you're going to continue making fun of my disability, you can leave right now'.

The look on the womans face was priceless as my coworker showed her the scary surgery scars on her arms from where they had to bolt her back together.

Also, I couldn't figure out what 15% of $237.43 was on the spot either. Guess I'm just an uneducated twit.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Easy, 10% plus half that.

So 23.74 + 11.87 = 35.61 (kids these days... :rolleye: )

And no, I didn't cheat.

My primary school maths teacher used to tell us that sort of thing is a dirty trick and we would need to learn to 'do it properly' for when we're in highschool. Just goes to show...

I just can't work things out in my head when put on the spot by somebody (unless it's, say 'what's 50% of [x]'). Maybe there's something wrong with me :smith:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

BeardedFerret posted:

So one of the more enterprising guys at work threw our rear end in a top hat area manager's name into Google the other day and came up with a surprise. rear end in a top hat is in fact a failed professional footballer whose only notable performances are being unconscious for most of a state league grand final and for being punched by Gary Ablett.

If you're not familiar with the AFL, this is Gary Ablett:

And he punched my douchebag of an area manager so hard he needed 18 stitches.

The world feels a little bit brighter tonight.

... you made my day. :allears:
I love hearing stuff like this. Warms the blackened, oozing void where my heart was located before I started working retail.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

This is sort of retail-ish.

We had a customer come in to pick up her computer from repair yesterday. She refused to pay. Why? Because she thought "someone else" should take care of it for her. I asked who would be paying then, and she said she didn't care, and that I should pick.

So, I was supposed to hand her the fixed computer for free, and tell some other random person "hey, you owe us $180 because we fixed some dumb whore's computer." And she was loving serious; she left the computer there and said she'd be back Friday. I was too stunned to respond.

Where the gently caress does she go that a plan like the would even come close to working?

And the joke's on her, because we're closed until Monday.

Wow, that's... amazing. From a 'dear god people are this dumb?!' perspective.

The electronics store I worked at had a sign at the front desk saying:
GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEAP
CHEAP WORK IS NOT GOOD
WE DO NOT PRICEMATCH WITH LOCAL BUSINESSES
($70 and having to visit us once is better than a $30 callout charge every time something goes wrong with your computer.)

I live in a state in Australia where it's only recently come into code that shops outside of 'tourism precincts' can be open until 9pm on weeknights. Former coworkers are telling me it's wonderful - the numbers of people showing up evens out over the week so it's better for customers and staff. Rock on, retail lads and ladies, may the :btrolls: not rock up to your registers.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 25, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Flyboy925 posted:

Maybe its just me, but are you saying that it was law that you had a set closing time? that is pretty messed up in my opinion.

I must admit, the law is pretty retro.
The rules broke down as such:
- Supermarkets/retail stores were to be closed by 6pm and are only to be open Monday to Saturday (unless in a 'tourism precinct')
- Local grocery cooperatives were allowed to remain open until 10pm (and are normally open 7am - 9pm)
- No Sunday trading except for 'tourism precincts' and certain times of the year, or if the shop wants to pay its employees time and a half.

This is just what I gathered from observation/working at supermarkets. The only places open 24/7 are McDonalds and a handful of small businesses with a licence to trade any time they like.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that the law is 'messed up'. I get the impression the law was made because lawmakers thought it would be detrimental to society to have a subset of people working all day every day without a break, but it does need changing.
(I also think if this new law was introduced while I was in highschool, my employer would have been making me work 5pm-9pm every school night, then fired me when I objected that I'd never get any schoolwork done during the week)

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 26, 2010

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The General posted:

This is a fact of working and going to school. If you want/have to do both, be thankful that they aren't trying to schedule you during times you're not supposed to be in school. 5-9 isn't terrible at all.

What I was trying to say was that the place I worked at in highschool had chronic staffing problems. If they had tried to get me to cover even half those shifts, I would have needed to tell them that I couldn't because of my schools 3 hours a night homework requirement. Even if I wasn't in school, the boss was constantly making me choose between my studies and work.

Thinking about it now, I really wish I had more of a spine back then and had some idea of what my rights were, because asking a 16 year old to work 20 hours a week on top of full time highschool was a bit rough at times.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

MaxDuo posted:

Last night it hit ~11:15PM... And we were all scheduled to leave at 11.

Are you guys paid to stay back and pack up? If so, what jerks.

On the flip side, I once worked at an electronics store that refused to pay me past the time I was rostered to finish. I really resented being rostered to finish at 5pm, then be expected to:
- put through final customers
- clean up till area
- count and balance till
- take the days takings to the back office
- get rid of stock that accumulated at my desk
all without being paid. Most days I'd finish at 5:30 and I wasn't really paid enough to make up for it, either. I ended up telling the boss that I didn't mind doing it once in a while, but either I close my till at 4:30 so I can leave on time, or they could roster me for an extra 30 minutes so I could get everything done properly. Just not doing it wasn't an option - the sales staff would have a sad for losing out on commission, and I'd get in trouble with the head cashier.

They ended up firing me a few months later. The complainer is obviously always wrong.
(Now that I think about it, it was probably illegal. They're probably still doing it, too. I wonder if there's some sort of labour board I could inform)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Zero Star posted:

There are 30+ shops in the mall, each with their own management and staff. Why would I know?

Because they think those that work in the shopping centre hang out together all the time. :rolleye:
That or they assume you see signs saying 'we're hiring' as you walk in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

Tonight I am constructing parts of a trap I will use tomorrow to catch a bird that has been stuck in our back room for 3 weeks now.

Aw no, the poor bird :(

Also, any chance you can switch off all the lights in the back room and leave the door outside open during the day? (not suggesting you haven't tried this already, just that I found it the best way to encourage birds out of buildings)

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Today I went sales shopping.
I overheard one of the ladies who worked there say to her coworker how there was 3 racks of lingerie/swimwear/clothing downstairs... all soiled upon in some way, shape or form. :gonk:

You have my sympathies, retail goons.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

Friend who works for free.

Couldn't this be construed as some sort of labour violation? Pretty sure if a business owner wants some work done, he has to pay for it.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Sonic Dude posted:

If you're not an employee, you can do whatever you want and the owner can most certainly accept your work. You're trying to say that essentially being an intern is somehow illegal?

From what I gather, interns in the US have a special rule applying to them whereby they can't do any 'real' work, but they can do things not directly relating to the actual business.

So they can do things like data entry or photocopying, but they're not allowed to do things directly relating to the businesses activity (e.g. if it was a retail store they wouldn't be allowed to serve customers at the desk, but they would be allowed to watch a cashier serve the customer). I believe the reason for this is because the law recognises that people do internships for work experience, but businesses would just turn everyone into unpaid interns if they could get away with it.

Don't quote me on this, this is just what I've gathered from friends who've done internships in the US :ohdear:

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 28, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Whenever I see signs advertising wages of '[minimum wage] + [drivers allowance per km] + tips = $20-30 per hour' for its delivery drivers, I complain to the management to take it down because it's misleading and placing the onus on the customers discretion. Last place I complained to said they wouldn't get anyone delivering for them if they didn't have that sign (and the conversation with them indicated they knew full well very few people tip). :eng99:

Here in Australia certain stores are trying to introduce tipping as a custom for food delivery. The drivers would probably have to go around wearing signs saying 'my boss does not pay me enough to make this job worth my while, please tip me' to actually get any tips since most unskilled labour is already paid minimum wage, and being expected to pay extra would beg the question of 'I paid the store, why should I pay you?'.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

-Troika- posted:

How often do people in a line heckle someone who is giving the cashier a hard time? Does this happen at all?

Yeah, I was That Guy one time at a petrol station. The person in front of me in the line was having a go at the cashier because they didn't take Motorcharge or Motorpass or something (some sort of pre-paid fuel thing?). I ended up telling him that there were signs on the pumps saying 'WE DO NOT ACCEPT MOTORPASS OR MOTORCHARGE' and walked him out of the store and showed him. I think I told him something along the lines of making a scene and being a jerk to the guy at the register wasn't going to change the outcome of the situation while walking back into the store, and the guy apologised to the cashier through gritted teeth.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

silversiren posted:

These are the people who obviously have never worked a day of retail in their life. They were born with a silver spoon in their mouth or they know people who know people and never had to work retail. We retail people, we understand, and at least I think we don't act like complete dipshits when we're the customers.

I used to hate people walking in trying to make change of their $100 bill with a $5 purchase. Even now I don't bother asking cashiers at the shop to take out $100 in 20 and 10 dollar bills - I instead walk into the bank and get them to do it. Because it's the banks job and they're not going to run out of change for the next few hours.

Seriously, it takes all of 10 minutes just to stand in the queue at the bank and ask the teller if they will give you $x in whatever denomination you like or change out a bill for you. Hell, if you use a cash budget like I do, you can organise this so it only happens once a fortnight or once a month. I'm still bewildered that customers think that they're entitled to bank service at a supermarket or chemists simply because they are able to get cash out and "hurp they have cash in the drawer".

froglet fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 7, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Cowslips Warren posted:

To those following my story of my friend working 40 hours a week for free: she's getting paid now, she says. She still gets picked up and dropped off from work by her friend-boss but she says at least now she's getting paid. She also has upped her work hours to seven days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day.

Not because the pay is great. Because he is OMG her awesome friend who is doing her SUCH a huge favor letting her work for him! Oh, and she doesn't want to deal with her parents, who ask her for rent money. So her plan, so far, it seems is to barely be at the house, work nonstop, and at some point....move out? No, no, she can't move out. But apparently working 60 hours a week now and getting paid for at least some of it is a step up, right?

She says I just don't understand how utterly insanely awesomely important this store is. Apparently I don't. And no, I have no desire to leave my job to work with and for her totally awesome friend.

Honestly, I still think you should report this store to the department of labour. Just call in a tip and say there's a person who works there 7 days a week every week and you're concerned she's being forced to work against her will. The department of labour will probably check to make sure she's getting paid accordingly, discover he doesn't have her on the books at all or is underreporting her hours worked, and make sure she gets paid. That or he'll lie through the teeth about the whole deal and realise he's either going to have to start paying her properly, or cover it up better.

Seriously, that guy sounds like either a scumbag or a supreme idiot. It doesn't matter whether she wants to work there for free or not, the department of labour's job is to ensure people get compensated for services rendered (and it's doubtful he can get away with it by saying 'she really wants to work for me for free!').

Your friend needs to have reality check - her parents need rent money, they can't support her forever, and what her "friend" is doing is most likely against the law. It doesn't matter how much she enjoys the job, she has to realise that her "boss" needs to pay for labour and she's being (willingly) taken advantage of, and ultimately it's her and her parents who are losing out in this situation.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

TShields posted:

Any regular of this thread can tell you all about me. I want to do anything- ANYTHING- that will pay me more than I'm making now and isn't retail (given), sales (I hate pressuring people into buying more than they need/can afford, which is all sales is these days), custodial (meh), or maintenance/construction (bad shoulder and I'm out of shape, but I'm actively dieting/exercising... still no desire to work in North Carolina heat/humidity during the summer. Oh, and little to no related experience or skills. I don't like working in my own yard. I'll be damned if I'm going to work in someone else's).

I have a Bachelor's in History Education. Teaching made me suicidal- even more so than retail. If you suggest that I go back and teach, this conversation is over. Period. I worked 5 years of retail cashiering/clerking in high school and the first part of college, taught high school for a year, then I have 3 years of retail management at various locations, with 4 months of unemployment mixed in just for fun. I've been applying to anything and everything that has caught my eye since last October. No dice. Not even a phone call. No offer of interviews when I call to check up. Just rejection letters. My resume has been updated and re-updated by goons. It looks great. Better than great. Amazing. Still no calls.

Here's an edited version of what I'm working with now. It was entirely goon-made: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-KJor8Oti6Q4jneXH0WkZ-mDNzdTfcTmW2NZ6f0N1QU/edit?hl=en&authkey=CKOM2aQD

Would it be possibly for you to take night classes in something else and work up the chain? Here in Australia major retailers like Coles and Woolworths actively encourage their staff to work up the chain and try to put forward the idea that retail isn't a dead-end job. E.g. somebody might start out on the shop floor, complete a pre-apprenticeship at TAFE (community college) then get an apprenticeship within the bakery of the same store where they become a fully fledged baker.

While it would be still retail, if you did a few classes in accounting, bookkeeping, and possibly any software that is commonly used for payroll, they might want to put you in the accounts or payroll department. Hell, they might want to even pay you to take the classes and at least then you won't have to deal with the :byodood:s and :btroll:s of the area. However, if you're not into that sort of thing this might not be a good idea.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

TShields posted:

Holy crap, that's almost what I make in a week! :psyduck:

What do you get an hour, and what does that translate into real (i.e., American)(kidding) money?

Edit: And what holiday is this?

The holiday is the Easter weekend, I'm pretty sure. Not sure if the whole weekend is counted as a public holiday here in WA, though.
Also while our dollar is currently doing pretty drat well against the American, things cost a bit more. Average wage in retail can range between $11 and $25 depending on if you're fulltime, part time or casual, what kind of job you're doing and how old you are (I earned $10 per hour when I was 16 years old and working at Coles).

Invis: I feel for you mate, I only got my current office job because of my friend who already works there - the first time I applied I got rejected because 300 other, more qualified, people applied.

froglet fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Aculard posted:

That aside, does anyone have advice they could give me?

Years ago, probably in 2006-2007, I worked under the sweetest manager ever in the hot/cold deli, and I switched to overnight cash due to money reasons. I got fired because one night I couldn't come in due to prepping for an exam/text (I worked thurs-mon morning). The deli manager should be the same woman, since she's a lifelong employee, but would being fired from cash years ago prevent me from being hired by her again? It is a franchise type grocery store, but I enjoyed it and I need a job this fall.

Give it a shot - just make sure you know what to say if they bring it up in an interview. Answers indicating you learned a lot from the experience and have since put it behind you tend to go down well.

TShields, I really wish you the best of luck. :smith:

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 24, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Luquos posted:

Also, god drat. Creepy homeless guys don't sound like fun. The homeless guys we get in can be a bit blunt, or unsociable at times, but they're never creepy like that.

There was one creepy homeless guy from my first retail job who I hear still shows up. He smells like a mixture of decay and listerine. He'd been barred from all the liquor stores in the area, so he drank listerine for the alcohol content.

He'd show up and ask us to lace up his shoes for him. :gonk:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Is there like a second, more infectious mono or something?

There are strains that make you not only highly infectious but extremely ill - a girl at my school was home for nearly a month with glandular fever because she was highly contagious and could barely leave her room. While you most likely won't die of it, you'll certainly feel rather nasty.

Pretty sure part of the reason why Ian Thorpe retired from the competitive swimming circuit was because he'd been diagnosed with a particularly nasty type of glandular fever that will never go away and can resurface at any time.

LonsomeSon posted:

Yes this is excellent for this reason you should not be upset at all or believe that it was an incorrect action for another human being to knowingly and deliberately expose you to an infectious disease.

edit: whatever is going on, she apparently infected plenty of MAO's coworkers. Really, people, we're all adults. We all get that you're a wage slave working in pretty bad conditions and can't afford to miss work. Guess what, everyone else is in the same boat, congratulations on loving over plenty of other people by trying to avoid the very thing you're now requiring them to do.

Retail jobs can put people in a situation where their choices are either not going to work and being unable to meet their financial obligations, or going to work and potentially infecting the people around them. When somebody desperately needs the money, the answer is always going to be "screw you got mine! :downs:" or "I need the money and this job far too much to even consider taking any more time off :(".

Also, some people can feel perfectly fine despite having glandular fever/influenza/zombie rabies and not realising they are highly infectious to everyone around them.

In fact, one day a few years back the manager from my retail job called me up asking me to work. I told them no because I was recovering from illness, and they said 'well you sound perfectly fine', completely missing the point that my job involved food handling and I'd rather not become responsible for somebody else catching whatever nasty bug I had caught. To force them to stop calling me in to work when they knew I was too sick, I had to go to the doctors and get a note stating I was too contagious to go in, despite the terms of my employment meaning I could call off any time for no reason whatsoever providing I gave them at least an hours notice.

froglet fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 22, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The General posted:

I'd be hesitant to take a month off work. That pretty much makes you the first person on the reduced hours list when you come back.

It's not that anybody really wants the "gently caress you got mine" attitude. It's that you get crushed if you can't do it.

I completely understand this. What I was trying to say (poorly) is that the blame shouldn't completely lie with the person who felt compelled to come into work, it's also to do with the systems in place that make it almost necessary to come in to work despite being considered 'too ill' by coworkers, customers and the employee themselves.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

Now this I'm absolutely sure is illegal as gently caress.

The thing about retail jobs doing stuff that is classified as illegal is that it's pretty hard to prove. Unless your boss constantly complains about your race in front of other people, or states in writing that they will fire you if you call in sick (despite having a genuine documented illness), it often ends up as a 'your word against theirs' situation.

At one stage I tried to lodge a complaint with the workplace ombudsman, because I felt my horrible retail job fired me because I pointed out to them that certain actions they were requesting of me were prohibited by the fair work act (going to work 30 minutes early and staying 30 minutes late unpaid, not getting mandatory breaks, etc).
The ombudsmans office told me if I wasn't able to produce hard evidence such as getting my coworkers to make a statement that I was telling the truth (unlikely to happen as everyone else employed there was a friend or family member of the management), such a case for unpaid wages and unfair dismissal was going to be very difficult to prove, especially because I was under a casual hourly worker contract.

TL;DR - gently caress retail, join the union if they actually have any clout or power in your area, document anything they ask you to do where you feel like they're threatening your job security if you don't agree to do it and don't work for franchises where the manager usually only employs friends and family.

froglet fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 23, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

2508084 posted:

Oh god this is a whole rant I don't think I ever went on.

The Health Department

People think The Health Department is some kind of superhero network. Surely, if something illegal or unsanitary were going on The Health Department would shut that store down ASAP!!! There would be police!! FINES!! People would be fired!!!

FUUUUUUUUCK NO.

I called the health department while I was working fast food. We had been running almost an entire day with no hot water. No hot water means no sanitation procedures. The dishes were being "washed" in cold water, employees were washing their hands (haha no one washes their hands, but I mean when they had time occasionally once in a while) in cold water. No hot water = no sanitation at all. I called the health department because our area manager said if we didnt remain open and serve people we were all fired.

The health department called our manager at home and asked her if we were closed. Manager said "Oh golly yes!!!!" and that was it. Despite the fact you could drive by and see that we were serving people. Or pull our logs and see we made a couple grand that day. They didn't even bother when I told them we were using expired syrups and other products to serve the public. Nothing ever happened, ever. I think my lead got written up for shutting the store down for an hour before reopening when we had no hot water. I know her hours got heavily cut afterwards.

The health department doesn't give a poo poo until someone dies.

:barf:
I take it your former workplace isn't in Western Australia, 2508084?
Seriously, whenever I hear about stuff like that it makes me paranoid about wherever I go out to eat for days afterwards.

Then again if a friend told me about that, I'd offer to go over, buy an item, then a few days later lodge a complaint with the health department about contracting food poisoning after eating there.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

uptown posted:

I told him, "She doesn't get paid enough to care, but you probably still ruined her day. You wouldn't like it if someone talked to me like that at my job, and she is someone's daughter too." My parents BOTH flipped on me, as though I was the one in the wrong, and eventually ended up walking out on me after my dad refused to drop the subject or acknowledge that he was in the wrong, not some poor girl who didn't do anything wrong.

Good on you. I ended up having a similar conversation with my dad:
:v: <story about him being a tosser to retail staff>
:j: Did you really speak to the person at the desk like that?
:v: I sure did, they obviously didn't know what they were doing.
:j: Hate to say it, dad, but at my work we have a word describing customers like you.
:v: Oh really? What's that?
:j: "Dickhead"
:v: Oh...

I think it took my brother and I working in retail for him to realise that the people behind the checkouts aren't just automatons. He would hear us talk about customers who said rude things to us and how it would ruin our day when they would complain to the manager over nothing, and he realised being a jerk didn't help him and certainly didn't help the staff of any business he visits.

side_burned posted:

There is something I have been wanting to say here for a while now, gently caress ALL SMOKERS, yes I mean you. Why smokers deserve their ten minute break every loving hour is beyond me. And selling cigarettes is a pain in rear end to, listen if you are under the age of thirty expect to be carded your nicotine fix is not worth me paying a thousand dollar fine and losing my job. Why the gently caress do you bastards not carry your ID when you leave the house and no saying phrase 'but I'm over eighteen' does not protect me if I sell to a minor and for gently caress sakes if your driver license is about to expire get a new one an expired ID is not valid I don't care when you where born.
At my former retail job smoking was discouraged because the company's slogan was about how fresh their food was and how their staff specialised in it, and they felt that certain things would tarnish their image.
This included things like:
  • Smoking (rules of the place I worked at meant you had to walk across the road away from the store to smoke due to building management)
  • Anything remotely offensive tattooed to an employees body in plain sight
  • Unusual, non-cultural related piercings
  • Facial hair and body odour
  • etc.
Of course, they couldn't ban smoking and so on completely, but I never once saw anyone on checkout or floor go out on a smoke break during non-break times. Somebody going out for a smoke was treated the exact same way as anyone else who'd left for a 10 minute break without management approval.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

ijii posted:

Moral of the story, if you say really want hours, then dammit take up every opportunity while you still can. I was getting burned out doing 48 hours a week, but kept on doing it till the last moment because I knew it wouldn't last forever.

While on the one hand I can understand the concept of 'make hay while the sun shines', but on the other I used to keep fielding calls from my previous horrible retail job that went like this:
:v: Hey froglet, can you please come in?
:j: Sure, what time am I required?
:v: Like... right now?
:j: Uh, okay.
I think I accidentally conditioned my (now former) workplace into thinking that I was always available or something, because they'd call up and start bitching if I told them I couldn't make myself available right now but I could if they gave me a little time.
Dentist appointment? You're lying!
About to go into the cinema? Come to work, you'll make back that cinema ticket in no time!
Vomiting everywhere? Don't worry, people totally wash their vegetables thoroughly before eating them, right!
Family member has died? Come to work to take your mind off your loss!
Got an exam? University is for chumps, retail is where the real money is.

It got to a point where I felt like it was negatively impacting my life, because at certain times of the year they'd be calling me at all hours of the day, sometimes multiple times a day by different managers or on both my home phone and mobile. When I finally asked them if they'd be willing to put me on part time and give me [hours they most frequently called me in at the last minute], they refused because they "wouldn't have anyone to call in if somebody was sick". :catstare:

Then again, in this situation getting called in was more of a side-effect of being terrible at rostering. It might be that lady was just terrible at time management - on the one hand she wants extra shifts, but on the other because she thinks she's not working the next day she engages in behaviours that might not be conducive to a good day at work? I certainly know I've turned down shifts because I feel I won't be in top condition that day (e.g. because I've been working until late the previous night on a major assignment or I've been babysitting or whatever).

froglet fucked around with this message at 14:18 on May 26, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Just heard this, thought of this thread:
I was speaking to my friend who still works at the large Australian supermarket I worked at when I was in highschool. She says a few signs were posted around the store in employee-only areas stating that cashiering staff had to show up to work with their own pen for customers to use to sign credit card slips with.

If they didn't they'd be required to purchase a pen at the start of their shift.

That's stooping pretty drat low, even for retail.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 27, 2011

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

spankmeister posted:

That's absolutely terrible.

If I worked there I'd bring the most over the top ridiculous pen possible.

Funnily enough, I suggested such a strategy. Or horribly chewed and mangled ones.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Part-Time Robot posted:

The most entertaining one I had was:

"Thank you for calling [blank] Books, can I help you?"
"Yeah, is this Grotto Pizza?"

:geno:

My friend works at a garden irrigation store in Australia. Apparently the premise and the telephone number used to be for an electronics lay-by and repairs store in the mid-90s. He knows this because people still keep calling up asking about the television they bought there 15 years ago.

Except... he just helps them out with their televisions and whatnot anyway. So they keep calling and asking for him. :psyduck:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

marshmallard posted:

I would have really liked to hear his excuse for that... what could he possibly say to defend himself?!

:qq: "But we're in love! We're SOULMATES, you don't understand! I was totally on break all those times how was I supposed to know she was meant to be working?!"

Update: All the casual staff at the supermarket I mentioned previously are making a huge joke of being forced to bring in their own pen (pink frilly ones, somebody keeps making jokes about bringing in the pen that he found in his dads garage with a likeness of Mussolini printed on it (I'd love to know where he got the Musso-pen from):psyduck:).
One person decided to bring in a comically oversized pen for customers to use. Then when he was told he needed to be more professional at work he told them that they were being unprofessional by forcing a business expense onto the employees and until they discussed this with his union representative he was going to use a pen of his choosing.

:allears: That guy's my new hero.

Then the union told the store to get stuffed and what they were doing was completely unreasonable and if it was continued they'd be pursuing further action.

I think this counts as a happy ending, right?

froglet fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

silversiren posted:

Yeah exactly. :P
I really hope he doesn't come in again. As much as I hate most of my other coworkers, no one really deserves to be yelled at over one freaking dollar.

One lady shouted at me over twenty cents when I worked in retail. Then she shouted at me even more when she realised I wasn't going to take her problem even remotely seriously. Those situations can be either hilarious or really miserable depending on how you're feeling - if you're having a bad day and some idiot shouts at you, it's going to make your day far worse regardless of how trivial their issue was.

SlaveToTheGrinds: I'm dead curious as to what state you live in so I can avoid that place - you indicated in your other posts they don't seem to have a law saying you get a day off.
Hang in there, I really hope things get better for you. :sympathy:

froglet fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 23, 2011