Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

I never understood this. We used to have assholes come in to Gamestop all the time to trade things in for cash, give us a hard time when we were firm about needing a official picture ID to conduct the trade, and then they would proceed to run outside and drive away like a total rear end in a top hat.

Why god? Why?

Why do you need official picture ID for to swap a couple video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

The Robins Taley posted:

And I know this is a personal pet peeve that I probably am out of line with, but if you tell me how to bag your groceries you can go gently caress right off and bag them yourself. "Put all the cold stuff together." Well no poo poo you loving asswipe. Thank god you told me that as I was just about to set your gallon of milk atop your bread as I'm obviously so stupid that I need your play-by-play help to get this job done that I do a hundred times a night.

The problem is, we don't know if it is you or some total moron, so we have to play it safe :(

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

minusX posted:

"Hey with your trade and your purchase you'll get this discount card which is usually $15 for free." "No thanks." "It's free money, like literally. I'll be handing you a dollar if you just say 'sure'" "I don't shop here often." "..."

I'd probably do this. Literally there are so many offers out there that have strings attached, some monthly fee, endless spam emails etc. I just say no out of habit.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
To all of you gamestoppers, what percent of trade-ins are this shady stuff? This thread is ruining my impression of humanity.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Daniel J. Geduld posted:

Would anyone be interested in buying a HIGH quality pdf of the best of these stories? For a small price ($5-$10)?

Probably not since stuff like this is free on variety of sites. However, a bunch of people here (including myself) sort of shat on Pillowpant's idea and look where that has gone...

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
You guys need to move to Europe and work in a grocery. Last time I was over there bought some stuff form a market and the guy ringing my up was just nursing a beer chilling in a chair.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

spankmeister posted:

Europe is a big place, with a lot of different people, what country was this?

France, believe it was Nice.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
Complaint sent to Target today after what should have been a half minute transaction was delayed almost ten minutes by two separate events.

I scan the check out lines as I approach store front and spot a woman buying a single item. Figuring she'll be quick I hop behind her in line. When she scans the one item the cashier asked the woman if she would like to sign up for a store credit card to receive 10% of her purchase today (a single bottle of shampoo). Woman says sure and then proceeds to start on the application. Next she needs to give a voided check to verify bank information and the cashier starts to scan that. I look at cashier and says she cannot help me because she is in the middle of this transaction.

In disgust I walk over to the other cashier who is almost done ringing up a guy. He then gives her a coupon and she can't figure out why the customer's $5 off $50 purchase coupon won't work on the $52 total. She pages a manager who comes over and tries to unsuccessfully scan the drat thing. Finally I suggest that maybe it requires $50 pre-tax and it's only over $50 because of tax. They sort of stare at my and read the coupon and sure enough it confirms my suggestion. The cashier then informs the customer they need to get something else if they want the coupon and of course he starts to hem and haw if he should or not.

At this point at I am wits end, drop the one thing I was planning to buy and walk out of the store.

I don't know how you guys deal with this stuff.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
Not the first time someone has been confused by an onion article, however it does always seem to trick the dumbest people.

http://www.theonion.com/video/justin-bieber-found-to-be-cleverly-disguised-51yea,18178/

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
To be fair I have seen some totally misleading signs for sale prices in retail stores:

1) Saying things are "Two for $5" and when ringing up it turns out to be $2.50 for each. Of course occasionally it actually requires two so the consumer is left to either buy more than they might need, risk not getting the sale price, or taking two to the register and only buying one if that is all that is needed.

2) Buying a frozen pizza the other day and I saw a sign "$2 off this pizza". I was pumped as that was a pretty big discount so I loaded up a few of them in the cart. Checking out was going pretty quick and I didn't see the individual pizza being scanned but then when she handed me my receipt I got three, $2 off coupons for next purchase of pizza. Of course this after I had already paid so by then it was a total pain to undo.

Practices such as these piss the consumers off and unfortunately the front line for the store are the cashiers.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

A Dapper Man posted:

Uh, I hate to break this to you, but if two items each cost $2.50, they're 2 for $5. It's not misleading, unless the sign doesn't say that they cost more if you only buy one.

I didn't make it clear. I meant when it says two for $5 and really they are just selling them at $2.50 each. The sign makes you think you need to buy two, but you don't.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

sbaldrick posted:

As the DM violated with American's with disabilities act, I'm pretty sure he won't be the DM for that much longer

Best part might be that he got written up so now there is official written record of this happening.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
How is it I read these stories of outrageous abuse, and when I buy some clothing that falls apart in a matter of days I have difficulty returning it :(

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

TShields posted:

All the time. Honestly, if I could even make your money, I'd be in a much better situation than I am now. At least then I'd have something extra after every paycheck.

Thunder, I've answered most of your questions before on this thread, but my degree is in History Education. It's basically a degree to teach high schoolers history. No, I'm not doing anything with it. Not only did I hate teaching, I kinda sucked at it. Most of the jobs I'm applying for are entry level "no degree required" type jobs and I'm still being overlooked. I don't have a default cover letter, I'm tailor making each one for every job I'm applying for. I'm too paranoid of leaving a blank spot or leaving in the wrong info, so I remake it every time it's needed. No, I haven't been following up, though- I didn't think I needed to unless I had gone to an interview. I've never, ever, had to follow up on any job I've gotten, and I've had a few. They were all basically "apply, interview, success." I interview well- I've never been interviewed for a job I didn't get. And yes, it's too late for me to go back to school.

This sucks, where do you live?

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
TS, what kind of jobs are you applying to? Is there anything you could add such as any clubs or associations you participate in, any sort of entrepreneurial activities you've done, major class projects from school, or any awards/honors you've received? I'm just trying to think of other things you can add to emphasize your non-retail skills.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
Had a roomie in college and he always tipped by rounding up to the next dollar. I hated him for it.

$2.50 beer at the local bar? Round up to $3.
Jimmy Johns delivery $7.40 sandwich? Round up to $8.
Picking up dinner for him and his date at Applebees $41.82, round up to $42.

These and many more were all personally witness by me, who knows what I missed. After the Applebees event I finally mentioned something to him and he just goes 'why should I pay someone for something I perfect capable of doing?'. :aaaaa: I was speechless.

Ended up leaving 30% at Applebees to help cover his lovely tip...

Also stuck at an old relatives house I read a bit of Glenn Beck's lovely book where he said something along the lines of "if the person has a problem with not getting tips, they should get another job"

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

silversiren posted:

I'll never understand why people won't even bother to donate one dollar but they'll spend $200 on groceries and then ask for $50 cash back. I only had $5 in my checking account and I donated twice so now I'm broke.

Wow, keep judging people bro. Maybe people don't want to donate to March of Dimes because it is a lovely charity with a ton of overhead. Maybe people donate to causes they find more worth like feeding people literally starving to death in Africa. Maybe people don't like being asked to donate every time they buy some groceries. Did you cite examples of people declining to donate and asking for cash back because 'Oh they have money, why haven't they donated all of it'.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I can't stand people who pay with cash, and I don't even work retail. Using a card is quicker and easier for both parties.

I hate the store cards too, not because it takes three seconds to say "No thank you". The thing that kills me is when the person actually says YES in front of me and then the five minute process begins of actually approving and registering them for the card.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

Most cities will systematically shave yellow light times by a specific amount (a half second?) when installing a red light camera. Larger vehicles often can't stop in time anymore. This isn't very safe, but it has to be done in order to produce enough violations to pay for the camera.

Did you just make this up / hear it from a friend - or do you actually have a source?

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
Not in retail but drat do I feel sorry for those who have to put up with it.

I was checking out at Target and after scanning the lines see a woman with about 15 items about to check out at the express line. The other lines had people with half-full carts so this lane was an easy pick. I get in line and the first thing I the woman (customer) says to the clerk is "I have a special skill." Already I am regretting my line choice decision but it's too late the other lines are even worse. She then tells the cashier that she has a photographic memory and can remember the exact price for every item in her order. She then says "scan these real slow so I can call out the prices before they come up on the computer :downs:". The clerk obliges (and based on this thread I'm guessing it's because he'll be written up if he doesn't) and slowly scans each item probably one every 20 seconds while the woman calls out prices. What should have been a two minutes transaction turned into about eight minutes. Then as she is paying, with cash counting out exact change, she starts talking about how her cousin has the same name as the cashier ('Brad' - what a loving exotic name).

She finally left, I looked at the clerk and just said 'Sorry'.

Side note, I love how at Target you can swipe your card prior to the total ringing up. They are the quickest store to check out of if you know what you are doing.

alreadybeen fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 27, 2011

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

SpartanIV posted:

I like "So when is the iPhone 5 coming out?"

Because making near minimum wage means I'm privy to the most confidential corporate information

Many casual users who aren't rabid Apple fans probably have no idea if there has been an announcement or not.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

TShields posted:

It probably is illegal. How could you possibly get caught? Who is policing this sort of thing?

Honestly probably not illegal, companies can say whatever they want about you. As long as they don't factually lie (i.e. TShields was late every day and stole merchandise) and instead just say something negative (i.e. TShield is inept and I am glad he is off my team) it is doubtful they are truly breaking any laws. However, in our litigious society, they would be foolish to say this.

My brother owns a small company and one of their salesmen was terrible so when his contract ended it was not renewed. A firm he was interviewing with called and my brother wasn't in the office so one of the assistant managers picked up and says "Oh Mr. Bad Salesman? Yeah he was terrible and we let him go because he never came close to meeting his sales goal". Note this is 100% true and it is not like it was an unrealistic goal (every other sales person in the company hit it). Didn't matter, when the guy found out he lawyered up and contacted my brother stating he wanted compensation for the bad reference. My brother had to lawyer up and after some back and forth the salesman finally gave up, still though it was a handful of billable hours to the lawyer he had to hire.

Moral of the story, almost all companies will usually only provide three piece of information to anyone inquiring about you 1) length of employment 2) title 3) eligible for re-hire. If you request in writing they might release your final salary as well. Any company that starts getting into your performance is begging to put some of the goons in the Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista thread to work.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

spite house posted:

We just had to ban a dude who we caught taking pictures of book pages with his phone. Like every single page of a rather large book.

Fortunately it was a PUA manual, and this guy... will not meet with success in his endeavors, mark my words.

Until he comes in next time with HIS GIRLFRIEND and does the same thing on a kamasutra book. :iceburn:

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I work in an office, reading this thread has made me realize one thing. It is not necessarily that people are any worse in a retail store so much as you are powerless to do anything for fear of being written/losing your job. I had someone stop me just yesterday when I asked if I could assign an issue to them and they did the stupid 'Could you please assign an issue to me?'. Except instead of having to put up with their condescending attitude (I religious use please and thank you when ordering, but not when I'm asking if I can assign an issue at work to someone) you can essentially tell someone to gently caress off as long as you don't use those exact words.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

cobalt impurity posted:

So, last night I had to read some printouts of some of the feedback from customer surveys that print out with every fifth receipt. The #1 complaint was being unable to receive help due to "associates being aware I'm in the store but not approaching." Note that this is selected from a list of possible complaints, so it's not people writing it in.

Customers will wander around on days where the store is full of workers and not approach a single drat one of them to ask for help. These people are too lazy to ask nicely (or even rudely) for help and suddenly it's our problem! I just can't understand this mentality. If you need help finding something, go up to one of the people in uniform and loving ask! I've had to scold adults because they climb on ladders and poo poo, and they always say "well I couldn't find someone to help me." You didn't look. Four people on the floor to help, and you could always go to the cashier and she can page someone over. Customers are lazy morons who won't put in any effort to do anything, but complain when they don't get what they want.

Also, #2 complaint was that the cashier those particular customers had was rude and inexperienced. They gave her name in the comments section. She's a front-end supervisor who has been working there almost two years.
:ughh:

Where do you work, I would love this. Employees hanging around not approaching me but there when I need assistance. I hate being asked if I need help finding things multiple times. If I need help, I'll ask.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

silversiren posted:

Wait I don't understand this. I have never understood being "overqualified". Please explain to me why having a college degree makes it to where you couldn't get a supervisor position.

Because they know you'll be looking for something not retail. They want to hire someone who want to be there and will plan on staying around for a while.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009

Volcano posted:

No, just the usual "Hang on, I'm gonna call my friend and see if he wants anything and hold up the queue by reciting a list of every product in the shop" and the "I'm too busy chatting with my friend about some inconsequential poo poo to talk to the people I'm buying things from, so I'm just gonna halfassedly point at stuff in the display and hope you can work out what the gently caress I want!"

There is a restaurant in Chicago (Perry's Deli) that has a no cell phone policy. It's been around a long time and I think stemmed when cell phones were exclusively used by (arrogant) businessmen. There is always a long line at the lunch hour and inevitably someone in the line is on their phone. If the woman behind the counter notices them she presses a button that blares a massively loud siren. For those who aren't expecting the noise it comes as a real shock. Of course, the person on their phone always tried to cover their ear and talk louder but with how loud the siren is, it is futile. Regulars usually start yelling at the person to get off the phone and eventually they figure it out, hang up, and then look around sheepishly as everyone looks at them. It might be really cathartic to anyone in retail in Chicago.

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I missed the purpose of this thread.

alreadybeen fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alreadybeen
Nov 24, 2009
I am a manager and need someone to pick up a few more hours and my choices are between Peter, Paul and Mary.

Peter is a pothead who is flaky as poo poo, doesn't show up on time, cuts out early, calls others to take his shifts.

Paul has not been late once in his employment, always takes the shifts he commits to, and sometimes is picking up Peter's shits.

Mary is a good worker but has been in and out of work a lot leaving me in a tight spot and again calling Paul to take on more shifts.

Look at it from the manager's point of view. If all three ask for extra hours, who are you going to want assign the extra hours? Sure Mary might have a valid excuse, but at the end of the day she didn't make it to work as reliably as Paul.