Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mooktastical posted:

This is great advice. What helps me is that old quote, "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger." Dealing with this kind of vitriol at least makes one less likely to perpetuate it, I hope.

I do night stock. I stock pet food, cat litter, paper towels, and toilet paper. My employer is a union shop. What this means is that any employee that is lazy or incompetent is shielded from getting what they deserve, while the rest of us have union dues deducted from our pay. That being said, I know unions are a necessary evil, and I even support mine despite my grievances.

The only reason I'm bringing it up it all is one of my fellow employees, who we'll call "Jim". "Jim" is from Ghana, and has accepted the lord Jesus Christ as his personal savior. He's quite fun to troll, when the opportunity arises. "Jim" also moves slower than molasses in January. He is not expected to improve, or even approach the productivity level of a normal adult. Normally, this would be accepted, but he recently got a second job, and had to request to come in later than the normal 11-7 shift. This allowed my ingenious bosses to cut his hours down from full time to less than even part time.

Toward the end of the night, after I was done stocking the dogfood isle, my supervisor asks if I'm going to be able to fit everything in with my other backstock. I tell him that I doubt it, as the skid that holds the 20+ lbs. bags is full to the point of being unstable. I ask him if I can work it, so as to clear some room off of it and make it more stable. This is when he tells me that I was obviously going slow tonight, and refuses. While we're having this conversation, I glance at the clock on my phone, and it's 5:14. I'm supposed to be done by 5 so I can pretty up the store with the rest of the wage-slaves. Tonight, however, I'll be doing some of "Jim's" isle during that time, since he will be sent home after 4 hours. Anyway, I go back into the stock room, and I start putting everything away. The little stuff fits onto its assigned carts without issue, but the skid of dog food is about 4 or 5 feet tall, and wobbles as I lift it up onto its assigned spot in the racks. Predictably, one of the 50 pounders falls off. On the way down, the raised handle of one of the carts breaks its fall, and it splits, spilling dog food everywhere. When I'm almost done cleaning up the mess, my supervisor comes in and quietly says, "Don't put this back up, I'll work it." :doh:

So I get it all picked up, and on my way out, I glance at the time. It's 5:48. I wasted about a half an hour due to an easily foreseeable pseudo-accident. Awesome. So I throw "Jim's" last skid in about 40 minutes. In this time, the rest of the crew has gotten the store all pretty-like, and I'm free to throw that huag skid of dog food. I end up getting it done with plenty of time to still clock off, with 5 precious minutes to spare.

Before I wrote this post, I didn't think it'd have so many :words:. My apologies on that, hopefully it isn't a pain to read...

Heh, when I did 3rd shift stocking, I would have given anything to throw paper/pet. Maybe 150 cases of bulky, but mostly light poo poo? Hupping 50 lb bags of pet food onto the bottom shelf is ez mode compared to trying to throw 55 cases an hour of canned food. 48 cans of tomato paste is supposed to be thrown in the same amount of time as 4 packages of paper towels!

That place really turned me into the cynical, angry, apathetic rear end in a top hat that I am today. I mean working at compUSA for a little while before that had started the process, but when I started working 3rd shift I still naively believed that world was mostly a decent place. The first month or two wasn't even that bad really. There wasn't a night manager, just my direct superior, who was a cool guy with the same goals the rest of us had: To get the gently caress out of the store as soon as possible. With a crew of 5-8 people we would throw 1500-2500 case trucks, face up the grocery, run back stock a few times a week and get out on time.

Then they brought in a "night manager" because no one else who worked in the day wanted to pull an overnight shift twice a month or whatever they had to do. A transfer from another store who was buddy buddy with the district management, it was inevitable that he would turn the department into his own little fiefdom and rule it with an iron fist. New performance metrics, super strict enforcement of breaks, same thing with dress code.

Now, anyone who's worked 3rd shift knows that its kind of a different environment compared to normal retail. Night stockers for the most part operate behind the scenes, so they're under appreciated and by default everything is their fault because they aren't there to defend themselves. Before we got a night manager, the dress code was basically wear a work shirt uniform and try not to have too many tears in your jeans. Aprons, nametags, basically optional since they just get in the way. When the night manager appeared, all of that changed. Had to wear black work pants, name tag at all times, same thing for your apron. It took a practical mutiny from everyone on the grocery crew to get him to compromise on the nametags/aprons, but everything else stuck, which sucked hard.

I think "metrics" have to be the worst loving thing about working retail. No matter how hard you work, if you actually do a good job, its basically impossible to live up to the standards they set, and every time you ask for a raise, or to get full time so you can actually afford insurance and get PTO, etc they point to your "metrics" as a reason why you don't deserve it.

Bullshit performance reviews where your manager tells you that he's going to mark your scores lower so that "there's room for improvement on your next review" when you know its a bald faced lie so that they don't have to give you a raise. There's nothing you can do about it, and if you bitch about it, you soon find yourself out of a job.

Then there's the mysterious way that your overtime drops from 50-52 hours a week to 47-48 hours during the busy season (because they'll never hire in extra help to cope with September to January). Nothing you can do about that either, because its he-said she-said with the management and they all have eachother's asses and you don't have any proof to go the state authorities with. Our lead supervisor (a ten year vet of that place) wrote down the time he clocked in and out every day so he would have proof that they were shaving his hours.

The night before a corporate visit is probably the worst night to work when you're stocker. If everything isn't absolutely loving perfect, the entire crew gets bitched out by everyone in store management for "letting the store down". Most of the other people who I worked with were indifferent facers at best. Standard policy was to bring at least 2 rows of product to the front, have all the labels turned forward, make them in a reasonably straight line, etc. For half of the people that I worked with, it was a good day if they brought 1 row forward. Labels, who gives a gently caress what direction they're in! It got so bad at one point before corporate visits, I would throw the can aisle as fast as I possibly could, say gently caress backstock and start facing stuff the right way. I would end up 5 or 6 aisles behind everyone else, and when I finally caught up to them at the end, everyone would say, "where the gently caress were you when we were facing!" It's pretty hard to avoid sounding like a smug douchebag when you say "fixing your collective facing mistakes so we can get home before 11 am", but by that point I really didn't give a gently caress.

The final straw to me quitting 3rd shift and retail all together (besides a messy breakup, never date someone you work with for christ sakes), the straw that broke the camel's back was the retarded policy on MP3 players. Our store played a horrible pop/light rock mix that consisted of a lot of Celine Dion, Air Supply, etc. Basically music that 60 year old women listen to. After about a week of it grating on my nerves, I brought in my ipod and I was able to work in relative bliss. Soon after the night manager was hired, there was a "no MP3 player" policy instituted, and despite everyone's pleas to revoke the policy, or at least change the god drat soundtrack at night when there was literally no customers in the store, it remained. The issue cited was "safety and customer service" which is retarded because we had two deaf people working with us. No compromise.

So I had go on the sly because there was no loving way I could deal with that music all night. I grew my hair out to cover my ears, I would wear one earbud in so that I could hear if the manager was around so he wouldn't catch me, etc. The second time I got written up for "insubordination" and "poor customer service", I quit. It seems like such a trivial thing to just walk out on a job for, but I just couldn't do it.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of great memories of working there (getting wasted at work on Christmas Eve; making out with the cute chick in the meat cooler that worked in homeside 3rd shift), and friends that I still hang out with, but that place broke me. By the end of my time there I was so stressed out about poo poo that I would have to go in to the salvage trailer, shut the door and just scream myself horse for 15 minutes so I wouldn't physically hurt someone/something.

e: holy gently caress :words: tl;dr don't work 3rd shift retail unless you're a masocist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU