Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So I did some shift manager duties at Lidl and I usually check what we have on stock before we begin. So one time we ran out of some powdered mashed potato-thingies, because the company was making new packages for it and it takes a couple of weeks before it's back in stock.

I was doing some stuff and I heard this going on:

Old lady: Do you have mashed potatoes?
Coworker: Not right now, they're changing the packaging so it'll take some time.
Old lady: GET ME THE SUPERVISOR!
Coworker: Hey Pingiivi, can you come over here?
Me: We're out of stock because they're changing the packaging so we'll have them in a week or two. There's the other mashed potato-thingy from another company if that's okay?

The lady grumbles and walks off. Then I hear this.

Coworker 2: No, they're changing the packaging and whatnot.
Old lady: GET ME THE SUPERVISOR!

Ad infinitum.

Really... Mashed potatoes aren't that hard to make yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

baquerd posted:

Spoken like someone who doesn't make mashed potatoes often (or uses a cop-out food processor).

I just made some last friday! :chef:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
On the subject of change, I just can't understand why people think it's a good idea to straigthen out your cupped hand/move your hand away JUST AFTER I've handed over the money. I'm not picking those up.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So we've had these modern chip readers in Finland for about 5 years or so. You put in your chipped card, mash your PIN-code in and you verify your purchase. I also can swipe it if you've forgotten the PIN or just don't want to use the reader. In that case I need to see some ID.

The following are valid ID's:

-A passport
-A driving license
-An ID-card
-A newer social security card that has your picture on it

So this dude wanted to pay and didn't have any ID on him. He searched his pockets and came up with a pictureless social security card. Then he came up with a old military ID, which he claims is valid at airports and "everywhere else". Too bad it doesn't have the proper info which I need to identify him by, also it's not issued by the Finnish Police. Then he said that he'll go to his car and get some money...

So why in the fuckingshitfuckbitch you don't have your drivers license with you? It's exactly the same size as your credit card (unless it's the older one, but he should've had it on it anyways).

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

the posted:

What the hell did I put on there to trigger that? I meet the experience requirements. I haven't been fired from a job before.

You're too experienced.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
You have to be properly prepared.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Once a customer bought a absolutely humongous pile of stuff so the receipt was about 1,5 meters long. I took a copy and have it at home... It's got to be a world record or something? Right?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

alreadybeen posted:

I'd probably do this. Literally there are so many offers out there that have strings attached, some monthly fee, endless spam emails etc. I just say no out of habit.

Especially if I don't shop at that store that often. Once I was offered a trade in offer at a Gamestop that I've could have gotten a new game for 10 euros in addition of what I was getting at the time, but the game they offered didn't interest me one bit. The salesperson was absolutely baffled because I didn't take that offer.

I wasn't being a dick, I just didn't want that game.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I just had my last day in retail for now. It kinda sucks to be unemployed, but at least I have time to do my thesis. The day went fairly well, but goddamn some old people. I understand that you'll probably ain't that fast in the head anymore but here's what went down.

Me: That's 4,85 euros, please.
Old Man: (Empties all the coins from his wallet to his hand)
Me: It's not enough, but I'll take the 85 cents so I'll need 4 more euros.

He had a bunch of bills in his wallet, but he didn't do anything.

Me: I need 4 euros, please.
Old Man: Wha? Mh.. HMM!
Me: You got 2,80 on your hand that is not enough. I got the 85 cents right here and I need 4 euros more.
Old Man: Why? There's... 4 euros.
Me: No there's 2,80 (counting them again showing each loving coin yet again).
Old Man: ...

The rest of the queue is about ready to kill this dude so after 5 minutes of going back and forth with this he finally takes a bill out of his wallet and pays.

So everything's cool except he starts to leave the store leaving his stuff on the table. I tell him to take his stuff and he thinks really hard before he remembers that he actually bought something.

That just makes me sad.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
drat, I must've had the best RM ever then. He was supercool and actually came to do the same stuff as the rest of the staff on Christmas etc. when there was huge amount of customers rolling in.

As soon my latest retail contract expired I got a job interview from a job that actually fits my education... That's on monday. Wish me luck.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Oh hello again! It seems to be absolutely impossible to get anything other than retail work in Finland. I got a call from my old store manager who is now a district manager and he found my open application I left for them. So... I'll probably have some horrible stories to tell later.

E: Damnit, new page so here's an old one I probably haven't told.

I was putting some stuff on the shelf and a man and what I guess was his dad were trying to find something.

Me: Can I help you with something?
Man: Yeah, we're looking for item X and can't find it.
Older man: We should ask someone who knows...
Me: Yeah they should be here, let me check.

While I'm checking the older man was constantly repeating "Maybe we should go ask someone who knows..." It turned out that the product in questions isn't and won't be in stock.

Me: We don't have X, but here's Y that's very similar to that.
Older man: Maybe we should go ask someone else...
Man: Maybe we'll try that, thanks.
Older man: Let's ask someone else, who might know better...

So they shuffled off to bother my coworkers with the same thing.

Pingiivi fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 5, 2011

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So I'm back at Lidl and we have the scales on the cash registers, so we can weigh the vegetables and such. We also have two types of tomatoes: Finnish tomatoes (pricier) and foreign tomatoes (cheaper) that have vines. The only thing that we can use to differentiate them is that the foreign tomatoes have the vines.

So guess what the customers do! They take off the vines to make the tomatoes weigh less so they'll save money. So they'll rage if I weigh them as the wrong tomato. The vines don't really weigh anything and it really doesn't matter if it's there or not when the weight and price are rounded up.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

miscellaneous14 posted:

Has your work not put up some kind of "Please do not remove tomato vines" signs to dissuade people from doing this? Seems like it'd save a lot of trouble, even if everyone wouldn't be smart enough to read it.

At least some of the customers say what tomatoes they've taken. Even if the vines are still there. It's a small thing to correct, but I need the shift supervisor to come and make the return and then I'll have to weigh them again and all this time the other people in the queue are getting pissed.

e: I really don't care if they do it or not. I'd just prefer if they said what kind of tomatoes they are before and not after the transaction.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
So lately I've been having this exact conversation with a few different customers so I guess stupidity is contagious.

Me: How can I help?
Customer: You've run out of (this cheap product/product that is on a special sale) so can I buy this (kinda, maybe similar and more expensive product) at the same price?
Me: No?
Customer: Why?
Me: Because it's a different product with a different price.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Volcano posted:

:witch: In England, we say please!

I love that I could've said: "You don't tell me how to talk. Pay up or get out." Actually I've said that before. It's loving amazing.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Hell yes... I got a Junior VFX Artist trainee spot in the biggest post production house in the Nordic countries. Im not guaranteed a job there, but at least I can get out of retail for a while and do some neat stuff.

Hang in there goons.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Darth Freddy posted:

I want to burn the things, ever last one of them, one massive bonfire of rubber piggy death.

I'm one of these pig squeezers. Sorry. I try to keep it to minimum though.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I had an older lady just straight up pass out and fall to the floor at the register. Luckily the next customer in line was some sort of medical professional so everything was cool.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I worked at a Lidl before I got into post production (it has all kinds of weird stuff too) and Lidl has had a weird rep for a long time. Basically when it came into Finland it was this really weird and scary GERMAN chain and people, especially older people, were really intimitated by it. Some thought the staff would only understand German and some thought the stores were actually counted as being in Germany and all kinds these outfuckinglandish rumors and weirdness. Luckily that (mostly) died down and Lidl even had ads about this insanity.

So a few years ago we were preparing for Midsummer, which is pretty much the biggest season for us because everyone is buying lots of food and beer and snacks etc. it's huuuuge. We got a pile of these 1kg potato salad tubs(?) for under 3 euros. It's a pretty good deal, but nobody was buying. The days went by and our store manager decided that something needed to be done because otherwise we'll just have a huge pile of potato salad going to waste. The price was dropped to ,99 euros and... nobody was buying. Then I noticed the problem. The official sign printed for the product said literally "GERMAN POTATO SALAD" because it was made in Germany. Our manager made a new sign that said just potato salad and it was flying off the shelf then.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
We got short and long sleeved shirts and a fleece/winter jacket. The store also provided laundry detergent because they didn't have any cleaning service for them. Finland is pretty good for that kind of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
When the pin thing became a required thing in Finland people got really mad for some reason. Once a dude started yelling at me: "I DON'T WANT TO LEARN TO USE THAT loving THING! YOU USE IT! THE PIN NUMBER IS 1234! THIS IS poo poo AND YOU'RE A PIECE OF poo poo."

Ok dude.